[MOD][XPOSED] X Messenger Privacy - Enable essential privacy features in Messenger

Search This thread

jiannist

Mar 28, 2009
Features
  • Block "typing" (3 dots) indication
  • Hide like (thumbs up) button in conversations to prevent accidental presses
  • Hide like (thumbs up) button in expanded notifications
  • Hide "Invite to Messenger" banner & button in conversations with people not using Messenger
  • Hide "Wave" button in "Active" tab to prevent accidental presses
  • Block message "seen" indication from appearing to others (premium version)
  • Click twice on a message in a thread, to manually mark it seen (premium version)
  • Hide your chat status completely (also hide online minutes) (premium version)
  • Facebook app stealth mode: Hide online status when using Facebook app (for Android prior to 5.0, use a Facebook app version <100 or >=103) (premium version)
  • See who's online, while appearing offline by using the two above features (premium version)
  • Hide audio & video call buttons in conversations, to prevent accidental presses (premium version)
  • Hide call status, by completely disabling VoIP (premium version)

Features video

Usage
  1. Install X Messenger Privacy Premium
  2. Enable X Messenger Privacy Premium in Xposed installer (a notification should come up after installation)
  3. Reboot your device
  4. Open X Messenger Privacy Premium and check the features you want
  5. Kill (force close) Messenger app and/or Facebook app for changes to take effect
  6. Enjoy Messenger privacy features

Download
Download from the Xposed Module Repository:
http://repo.xposed.info/module/com.john.xmessengerprivacy

Premium version
You can download the premium version here:

FAQ

Q: How do I mark a message as seen?
A: Open the conversation you want to mark as seen, then click two times on any previous message (first click shows message details, second closes them)

Q: How do I mark an image/GIF as seen?
A: Click two times on any message before the image/GIF. This will mark the conversation as seen.

Q: Some or all features of the module are not working. What is wrong?
A: If you are using a beta version of Messenger, some features may not work. That is also the case, if you are using an older (more than 2 weeks) version of Messenger.
If you are using a current non-beta version of Messenger, and a feature does not work, make sure you have the latest version of X Messenger Privacy. Then, disable, and re-enable the feature. It should fix it.

Q: I enabled the "Hide online status" feature, yet I am still seen online
A: For the online status hide feature to work, you must not open any other Facebook window or app on any other device, and have the "Facebook app stealth mode" active.
Also, if you are talking to a person, you will appear as active to him, but not to others.
Marking messages of a person as seen also marks you as active to him.

Q: I enabled the "Block typing notifications" feature. Now I can't even see when others are typing.
A: It is not the "Block typing notifications" feature that disables other's typing notifications. The "Hide online status" makes you invisible in Messenger, so it doesn't send you other's typing notifications. If you want typing notifications from others, you have to disable the "Hide online status" feature.

Q: I enabled the "Hide audio/video call buttons" feature. Am I still able to make voice/video calls?
A: Yes. In a conversation view, click the "information" button on the top right corner. From there, you are able to make voice/video calls.

Last edited:

kos25k

Nov 15, 2012
Is this a facebook messenger module???i am searching such a mod 3 years now!!!

Στάλθηκε από το XT1643 μου χρησιμοποιώντας Tapatalk

kos25k

Nov 15, 2012
Thanks god and dev!!!!!!!! I test it now on moto x play and online status (active now) is still there..i bought premium version..

Reactions: alichiddy

jiannist

Mar 28, 2009
Thanks god and dev!!!!!!!! I test it now on moto x play and online status (active now) is still there..i bought premium version..

You should close facebook/messenger on any other device/PC. If you have facebook or messenger open on another PC/device, the other device will report online status/minutes.

kos25k

Nov 15, 2012
I have facebook and messenger on my tablet but is home and wifi turned off.3 dots typings was working in first test but now neither it works.also does this work if we have facebook also open?i also frozen facebook through link2sd app and active timestamp is still there ?

jiannist

Mar 28, 2009
I have facebook and messenger on my tablet but is home and wifi turned off.3 dots typings was working in first test but now neither it works.also does this work if we have facebook also open?i also frozen facebook through link2sd app and active timestamp is still there

Unfortunately, Facebook app can cause an online timestamp, if it is running. Typing notification block should work everytime. Have you force closed messenger, after enabling the feature in the module?

kos25k

Nov 15, 2012
Maybe a feature update can add this feature?yes i tryied both killing with holding back button and force close through app settings button.

jiannist

Mar 28, 2009
Maybe a feature update can add this feature?yes i tryied both killing with holding back button and force close through app settings button.

The "Block typing notifications" feature should block the 3 dots notifications from appearing to the other person, when you are typing, not the other way around. If it still doesn't work, please try disabling and re-enabling the feature, and then rebooting.

kos25k

Nov 15, 2012
Yes i know dude.we tryied it at first and it worked!but i care most about this stupid active now timestamp..let's hope for a future update ?

jiannist

Mar 28, 2009
Yes i know dude.we tryied it at first and it worked!but i care most about this stupid active now timestamp..let's hope for a future update

One more thing you could try about the active now timestamp is to "Turn Off Chat" on the web version of Facebook.

Also, the friend you are testing the feature with should refresh his page/messenger, as the online status takes time to update due to caching..

kos25k

Nov 15, 2012
I always have chat turned to off from everywhere.ok let's see also other users reports..at least the start has been made! (I thought it was impossible)

jiannist

Mar 28, 2009
I always have chat turned to off from everywhere.ok let's see also other users reports..at least the start has been made! (I thought it was impossible)

Could you tell me what Messenger version you have? Also, have you tried the Seen feature?

kos25k

Nov 15, 2012
86.0.0.17.70.f or testing the seen feature please give me some time ?

---------- Post added at 11:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:19 PM ----------

Seen feature also doesnt work..

jiannist

Mar 28, 2009
86.0.0.17.70.f or testing the seen feature please give me some time

---------- Post added at 11:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:19 PM ----------

Seen feature also doesnt work..

I have tested 86.0.0.17.70. Both seen and online features work on my phone..
After enabling the features and force closing messenger, what happens when you open a new message? Does it appear immediately as read?

kos25k

Nov 15, 2012
Yes.when i open it it says readed in my friend's mobile

jiannist

Mar 28, 2009
Yes.when i open it it says readed in my friend's mobile

Have you enabled the features inside the module program? You must open X Messenger Privacy Premium and enable the wanted features. Then, force close Messenger.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Features
    • Block "typing" (3 dots) indication
    • Hide like (thumbs up) button in conversations to prevent accidental presses
    • Hide like (thumbs up) button in expanded notifications
    • Hide "Invite to Messenger" banner & button in conversations with people not using Messenger
    • Hide "Wave" button in "Active" tab to prevent accidental presses
    • Block message "seen" indication from appearing to others (premium version)
    • Click twice on a message in a thread, to manually mark it seen (premium version)
    • Hide your chat status completely (also hide online minutes) (premium version)
    • Facebook app stealth mode: Hide online status when using Facebook app (for Android prior to 5.0, use a Facebook app version <100 or >=103) (premium version)
    • See who's online, while appearing offline by using the two above features (premium version)
    • Hide audio & video call buttons in conversations, to prevent accidental presses (premium version)
    • Hide call status, by completely disabling VoIP (premium version)

Features video

Usage
    1. Install X Messenger Privacy Premium
    2. Enable X Messenger Privacy Premium in Xposed installer (a notification should come up after installation)
    3. Reboot your device
    4. Open X Messenger Privacy Premium and check the features you want
    5. Kill (force close) Messenger app and/or Facebook app for changes to take effect
    6. Enjoy Messenger privacy features

Download
    Download from the Xposed Module Repository:
    http://repo.xposed.info/module/com.john.xmessengerprivacy

Premium version
    You can download the premium version here:

FAQ

Q: How do I mark a message as seen?
    A: Open the conversation you want to mark as seen, then click two times on any previous message (first click shows message details, second closes them)

Q: How do I mark an image/GIF as seen?
    A: Click two times on any message before the image/GIF. This will mark the conversation as seen.

Q: Some or all features of the module are not working. What is wrong?
    A: If you are using a beta version of Messenger, some features may not work. That is also the case, if you are using an older (more than 2 weeks) version of Messenger.
    If you are using a current non-beta version of Messenger, and a feature does not work, make sure you have the latest version of X Messenger Privacy. Then, disable, and re-enable the feature. It should fix it.

Q: I enabled the "Hide online status" feature, yet I am still seen online
    A: For the online status hide feature to work, you must not open any other Facebook window or app on any other device, and have the "Facebook app stealth mode" active.
    Also, if you are talking to a person, you will appear as active to him, but not to others.
    Marking messages of a person as seen also marks you as active to him.

Q: I enabled the "Block typing notifications" feature. Now I can't even see when others are typing.
    A: It is not the "Block typing notifications" feature that disables other's typing notifications. The "Hide online status" makes you invisible in Messenger, so it doesn't send you other's typing notifications. If you want typing notifications from others, you have to disable the "Hide online status" feature.

Q: I enabled the "Hide audio/video call buttons" feature. Am I still able to make voice/video calls?
    A: Yes. In a conversation view, click the "information" button on the top right corner. From there, you are able to make voice/video calls.
    I just managed to find a function to hook and disable, that seems to solve all the crashes. Next version will most probably make Messenger crash-free, even if you use other Xposed modules that hook its functions. :D
    I got those freezes again too. Deleting the contents in oat works. I can use Messenger again. Hopefully it stays that way.

I have investigated all the logs of users facing crashes, and even faced the crash randomly myself.

The problem seems to be caused by the custom dex optimization (dexopt) that Messenger uses, in combination with Nougat's ART. It may be a bug in Xposed's new implementation of invalidating methods, but I have no time to investigate the inner works of ART/Xposed (https://github.com/rovo89/android_art). @rovo89 may know better about it, but I can't think of a proper way to fill a GitHub issue, as the crashes are intermittent, and they depend on Messenger, which is not open source.

When deleting the oat file, optimization is redone when rebooting, and the crash seems to go away, until Messenger is updated.

Another culprit may be smart updates: When updating any Android app, the apk does not get downloaded as a whole, but gets patched through a diff process. That, along with dexopt, may be causing the issue. I also have suspicions that Messenger silently updates its code without the app needing to be updated through Play Store.

The whole issue might also be a Messenger bug, that might go away with a Messenger update. The crashes' stacktraces are related with Messenger's video player service (it gets automatically called when opening Messenger).

When the dexopt bug happens, hooking ANY Messenger function causes the crash in Nougat. That's why the crash not only happens with X Messenger Privacy and My Day Off Messenger Xposed, but also with other modules, like MinMinGuard, and Scoop, that hook Messenger's functions.

The solution I have thought of is implementing a button inside X Messenger Privacy, that will delete the oat files, or integrate a periodic deletion of the files. Either way, root access will be required, so you will get a "root access has been granted..." notification. The solution is not optimal for me. If anyone can think of another solution, I'll be glad to hear it.
    Could you send me an Xposed log via PM?

A new version was released. It should fix the bugs.

Also, the crash fixing method is improved. You can now manually fix Messenger crashes you might encounter on Nougat by pressing the button in X Messenger Privacy Premium's options menu.
    There seems to be some progress in resolving the crash issue in Xposed Nougat: https://github.com/rovo89/Xposed/issues/275

As @rovo89 says, a new Xposed framework version is going to be released soon, that will hopefully resolve all crashes.