Transformer Prime

Search This thread

bittercold

Aug 3, 2007
I wonder if Hasbro plans on sueing ASUS since they probably have the name "transformer Prime" copyrighted. Maybe someone should give Hasbro Apple's phone number. They can get a few tips from them on how to sue someone for using a name or even perhaps a geometric shape such as a rectangle :D.

(Sorry had to do a little tongue in cheek with all this doom and gloom about delays)

SwissyChief

Oct 26, 2011
I plan on covering up the ASUS on the back of my purple Prime with a Decepticon sticker :D Come at me, bro!

adiliyo

Oct 25, 2009
Los Angeles
i don't think they have either of those words under trademark, or they aren't enforcing it publicly, as asus had no problem with the original transformer.

if they marketed it with refrences to the IP, then they could have issue, but they are using the words in a more generic sence officially, and those of us who are familiar with the pop culture refrence that is implied, are making that association on our own.

:)

Arun01

Feb 6, 2011
Heck every time I call gamestop & ask them about the Transformer Prime they think I'm talking about a game lol.I'm like no the tablet. :cool:

JoeyLe

Aug 29, 2010
The word Transformer is used everywhere.. Electrical and in theater etc. No way

wallpaper_transformers-2_animaatjes-96.jpg
:cool:

Reactions: techjunkie9194

wynand32

Jan 2, 2008
The question in trademark cases is, essentially, could a reasonable person be confused as to the source of a product or service bearing a trademarked term, image, design, etc.? The idea is that we don't want someone to be able to, say, sell a brown-colored (or potentially any other colored, nowadays) beverage and have a reasonable person think it comes from Pepsi. Or, trick someone into buying a cheap knockoff shoe by making them think it's made by Nike.

In this case, then, could someone think that the Transformer Prime is made by Hasbro? Are tablets like the Prime close enough to Transformer toys that a reasonable person is going to be confused as to their source?

I'm guessing, probably not, because Hasbro didn't sue ASUS over the name "Transformer," even though in fact the tablet "transforms" from one kind of device (a tablet) into another (a notebook computer) in much the same way that Transformers transform from robotic creatures into recognizable human vehicles. Either Hasbro didn't see a case, or there was a quiet license agreement cut between ASUS and Hasbro.

Interestingly, "Transformer Prime" takes the use even further away from the generic concept of "transforming from one thing to another" to a specific "Transformer" character, i.e., Optimus Prime. The word "Prime" in this case is very intimately tied to the Hasbro franchise, creatively. It's a bit of a stretch for ASUS to say "we really just mean that this tablet is the 'prime' example of a transforming device." I mean, seriously.

Again, though, tablets aren't the same as toys, and so although ASUS benefits from the connection made by fans of the Transformer cartoons and movies and such, there's not likely to be any confusion among consumers as to who is making what. Hence, there's probably no trademark infringement case.

adiliyo

Oct 25, 2009
Los Angeles
It doesn't necessarily refer to under optimus prime, since they don't use the word optimus and he was not the only prime anyways.

Not that it natters just making an argument for the sake of doing it. :)

Prime is just a designation of something being the first or best of something.

bittercold

Aug 3, 2007
Thanks god the Tegra 3 doesn't use NVIDIA's Optimus technology right lol? We would be in real trouble if the Transformer prime had Nvidia Optimus. :D

colonel187

Jul 3, 2010
Nowhere
Thanks god the Tegra 3 doesn't use NVIDIA's Optimus technology right lol? We would be in real trouble if the Transformer prime had Nvidia Optimus. :D

Actually have that on my alienware m11x and it works trouble free for me. I get your joke but I don't see an issue.

There is also an lg optimus phone.
I think its funny that Motorola has to license "DROID" from George Lucas even though the phones had no reference to star wars except for the d2

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

UmbraeSoulsbane

Jan 24, 2010
Well, since the Transformer Prime has been so heavily marketed and ASUS has a Transformer line of products, I am sure any legal dispute would lead to a licensing agreement like the use of "Droid", which was also kinda a questionable trademark.

wynand32

Jan 2, 2008
I can only think that Motorola must have thought it would be cheaper to pay the license than battle it out with LucasArts in the courts. And, they got the added benefit of the direct marketing tie with the D2.

However, the same standard applies there: would a reasonable person think the "Droid" phone was from LucasArts? I'd say the case is even clearer here: I don't think ANY reasonable person would think that "Droid" as used here has anything to do with the Star Wars "droid", as opposed to the much more obvious shortening of "Android" the mobile OS which, you know, runs on mobile phones like the Droid line.

And again, there might be a license agreement between Hasbro and ASUS, and they just didn't publicize it. Although I'd give that idea more credence if ASUS were to use actual Transformer imagery in their marketing.

bittercold

Aug 3, 2007
I was just trying to be funny. I also have a M11x but I have a R1 so no optimus. Just thought it would be funny if it was a Transformer Prime w/ Optimus technology lol. This whole thing was sort of my stab at apple and them sueing everyone and a brother for anything they precieve as their invention. Was wanted to throw out some fun since everyone is doom and gloom about a delay or what not.

Top Liked Posts