[OFFICIAL]According to Samsung, SGH T999 will support LTE

Search This thread

Crisisx1

May 8, 2011
Orlando, FL
***sorry i made another thread about it.. but this should clear up all confusion***

Here is a chat session I had with Samsung support.

Chat Information Please wait for a Samsung Agent to respond.

Chat Information You are now chatting with 'Stark'. There will be a brief survey at the end of our chat to share feedback on my performance today.

Chat Information Your Issue ID for this chat is LTK56402019442X

Stark: Hi, thank you for contacting Samsung Technical Support. How may I help you today?

Visitor: Hello, can you please tell me if the T Mobile Samsung Galaxy S3 will be able to support T mobiles LTE when it rolls out in 2013?

Stark: I understand that you want to know the information about the devices supporting the T-mobile LTE. Is that correct?

Visitor: yes

Stark: Thank you for the confirmation.

Stark: I'll be happy to provide the information.

Visitor: Thank you.

Stark: I would like to inform you that with the new Jelly bean update the S3 devices are now supporting the LTE feature, which makes the devices compatible for the LTE release of the T-mobile.

Visitor: You are 100% sure of this?

Stark: May I know if you have updated the device?

Visitor: Yes I have i am running 4.1.1 JB

Stark: Okay, please open from Home Screen >> press Menu >> Settings >> Wireless and networks.

Visitor: okay

Stark: Have you opened it?

Stark: Is there any option called network mode?

Stark: Please tap on it.

Visitor: ok

Stark: Please let me know the options you are able to view.

Visitor: lte/gsm/wcdma ( auto mode) , gsm only, wcdma only

Stark: As you can see the device clearly shows it supports the LTE mode.

Visitor: But that does not have to necessarily mean that the hardware supports LTE because the phone was made before T mobiles LTE is even being released.

Visitor: I was told that the only reason that LTE option is there, is because The verizon S3 supports LTE so they just kept the modes the same for all S3's

Stark: I do understand your concern.

Stark: But the devices are made in such a way that they support the LTE when released in future.

Visitor: along with the sprint and also ATT's LTE

Visitor: Okay, So i should have no problem connecting to T Mobiles LTE network in 2013 when they roll it out

Stark: Yes, you'll not have any issues with connecting to LTE when it is released in future.

Stark: Is there anything else that I can assist you with?

Stark: Not to rush you, are we still connected on the chat?

Stark: We have not heard from you. Do you wish to continue the chat?

Visitor: hello

Visitor: no that is all

Visitor: thank you for all of your information.

Stark: Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jigga0o7

May 31, 2009
SF Bay Area
www.twitter.com
Seems legit, I'll await it. People are saying it doesn't really matter since the S3 will be ditched when the S4 or some other super mega phone comes out but I plan to stick with this thing for quite some time so this is good news.

elesbb

Jun 20, 2010
It's not true. I just chatted with T-Mobile and they said it won't and the way he figured it out was by comparing the hardware specs with the iPhone that supports it. And he said our device will not support it. I believe a T-Mobile Rep over a Samsung Rep because it's T-Mobiles network and device. Those settings are there because it makes it a hell of a lot easier for Samsung to mass produce the software. My galaxy s2 has this option for LTE and that's far from even coming close to supporting LTE.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

Feb 21, 2011
Grand Rapids
It's hard to say. I can't find the exact bands that this phone supports.

While your at it, read this site

It says,
T-Mobile's decision to build its LTE network on the AWS spectrum band - from 1710MHz to 1755MHz for uplink and 2110MHz to 2155MHz for downlink

T-Mobile currently has 24MHz of spectrum depth on the AWS band and is due to get an additional 7MHz from AT&T as compensation for the failed merger between the two companies.

Also, there's another thread about this so..yea.

Last edited:

moxis

Aug 11, 2010
Sorry but that representative is wrong.

http://m.cnet.com/news/t-mobiles-pricier-samsung-galaxy-s3-will-not-get-lte/57460125

Sent from my SGH-T999 using xda premium

you do relize that was back in june that was released.... and the gs3 board has flashable radios. so all gs3's have gsm, cdma, hspa, and lte..... motorola, samsung, lg, all the big companies are making phones to be able to be flashed on any network. now as that said i dont think we will be able to flash diff frequencies i think its done as the software is loaded at the factory. but who knows it is tmobile were talking about. lte launch means new contracts and selling new phones so the likely hood of an old device upgraded to lte is highly unlikely :confused:

ASharpEdge

Oct 29, 2012
McHenry

http://m.cnet.com/news/t-mobiles-pricier-samsung-galaxy-s3-will-not-get-lte/57460125

Wow, I guess my phone is special and has a chip that all the others do not! Look at the screenshot below. Argue with that! Read the attached whitesheet that has the FULL SPECS of the chip in it. You CANNOT argue with that. lol Come on people, I know you cannot fix stupid but if the manufacturer of the chip says all phones have the MSM8960 chip WITH LTE on it than I would believe them before some stinkin' representative contacted via live chat. Do some searching about that c/net article you posted the link for and you will find that the representative retracted the statement about the phones only having the MSM8260 chip.
I do FULL research when I am trying to find the answer for things. I have more proof than anyone has show in any of these threads. Do not bother posting blogs, comments from live chat that are people from the Philippines phone center that know next to nothing. ALL USA GS phones are the same except for software differences.

I would suggest you take a class in college called "Critical Thinking." In the class you are taught how to properly find legitimate sources for college papers and research. Most of the internet is filled with misinformation and if possible you are always supposed to get your information directly from the source and not from 2nd and 3rd parties. You have shown as proof a review website and a blog arguement...Not good sources at all.

I have seen so many websites showing the same information....That is that Qualcomm's chip that IS IN ALL Samsung GS3's is called the MSM8960 Snapdragon S4. Does anyone disagree with that? (pic from phone below)
All of the specs for that MGM8960 board clearly show that it comes with a fully integrated LTE radio. And here is a screenshot of the board specs in the unit from T-Mobile:

attachment.php

Notice it says Board: MSM8960 and Device: d2tmo

Now read the attached whitesheet DIRECTLY FROM QUALCOMM.
Then if you want you can read 2nd and third party information if you do not believe the first party info shown clearly on the screenshot and the spec sheet from Qualcomm.

1st, 2nd, and 3rd party links:

http://www.qualcomm.com/media/releas...chipset-family

https://developer.qualcomm.com/blog/...-now-available

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snapdragon_(system_on_chip) (you have to scroll about 3/4 of the way down to see the specs for the MSM8960)

http://gigaom.com/mobile/qualcomm-no...ething-better/

http://www.brightsideofnews.com/news...napdragon.aspx

http://techcrunch.com/2012/10/05/rep...lked-lte-lead/

Wow, that is a lot of proof...Again if you are going to argue this post SOLID PROOF not some chat with a Phillipeno phone rep., nor any posts from forums with people arguing about this. Find something that is 100% irrefutable!

Goodnight all and God Bless!! :victory:

Attachments

• QU_SnapdragonS4_White_Paper_FNL_Rev6.pdf
    418.9 KB · Views: 141

Crisisx1

May 8, 2011
Orlando, FL
It's not true. I just chatted with T-Mobile and they said it won't and the way he figured it out was by comparing the hardware specs with the iPhone that supports it. And he said our device will not support it. I believe a T-Mobile Rep over a Samsung Rep because it's T-Mobiles network and device. Those settings are there because it makes it a hell of a lot easier for Samsung to mass produce the software. My galaxy s2 has this option for LTE and that's far from even coming close to supporting LTE.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

I also chatted with a t mobile rep and they said they don't know if the s3 will support lte.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using xda app-developers app

redhooka

Jan 8, 2008
Wow, I guess my phone is special and has a chip that all the others do not! Look at the screenshot below. Argue with that! Read the attached whitesheet that has the FULL SPECS of the chip in it. You CANNOT argue with that. lol Come on people, I know you cannot fix stupid but if the manufacturer of the chip says all phones have the MSM8960 chip WITH LTE on it than I would believe them before some stinkin' representative contacted via live chat. Do some searching about that c/net article you posted the link for and you will find that the representative retracted the statement about the phones only having the MSM8260 chip.
I do FULL research when I am trying to find the answer for things. I have more proof than anyone has show in any of these threads. Do not bother posting blogs, comments from live chat that are people from the Philippines phone center that know next to nothing. ALL USA GS phones are the same except for software differences.

I would suggest you take a class in college called "Critical Thinking." In the class you are taught how to properly find legitimate sources for college papers and research. Most of the internet is filled with misinformation and if possible you are always supposed to get your information directly from the source and not from 2nd and 3rd parties. You have shown as proof a review website and a blog arguement...Not good sources at all.

I have seen so many websites showing the same information....That is that Qualcomm's chip that IS IN ALL Samsung GS3's is called the MSM8960 Snapdragon S4. Does anyone disagree with that? (pic from phone below)
All of the specs for that MGM8960 board clearly show that it comes with a fully integrated LTE radio. And here is a screenshot of the board specs in the unit from T-Mobile:

attachment.php

Then if you want you can read 2nd and third party information if you do not believe the first party info shown clearly on the screenshot and the spec sheet from Qualcomm.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snapdragon_(system_on_chip) (you have to scroll about 3/4 of the way down to see the specs for the MSM8960)

Our phone has the MSM8260 not the MSM8960. You'd know that if you had read the article I posted. You should learn to get your facts straight before calling someone out.

Reactions: bradhoschar

psykhotic

Aug 22, 2012
Our phone has the MSM8260 not the MSM8960. You'd know that if you had read the article I posted. You should learn to get your facts straight before calling someone out.

http://m.techrepublic.com/blog/crac...s-easy-open-case-difficult-to-fix-display/666

They tore the phone down and disagree with you.. but I'm sure CNET knows better since they didn't actually open the phone.

Oh yea and all t-mobile "spokesmen" know what they're talking about.

Last edited:

ASharpEdge

Oct 29, 2012
McHenry

Of course, I am sorry for that. My phone must be displaying the wrong numbers in the screenshot that I posted. Many phones do not show the proper board in them when you do an inquiry on the phone. lol

I am in utter disbelief that someone would believe an internet article over the actual board that is in the phone which CLEARLY SHOWS it is a MSM8960 (see above screenshot of an actual T-Mobile GS3 phone). Have you taken any college classes that show you how to find REPUTABLE sources suitable for use in research papers? I have.
Smoke another one people who do not believe........

Last edited:

darren.wlsn1

Jul 14, 2008
Hershey PA

attachment.php

Wow, that is a lot of proof...Again if you are going to argue this post SOLID PROOF not some chat with a Phillipeno phone rep., nor any posts from forums with people arguing about this. Find something that is 100% irrefutable!

so it does have lte capability?

---------- Post added at 02:22 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:20 AM ----------

he spoke to tony stark. seems legit.

so cool "iron man' works at tmo.

psykhotic

Aug 22, 2012
Of course, I am sorry for that. My phone must be displaying the wrong numbers in the screenshot that I posted. Many phones do not show the proper board in them when you do an inquiry on the phone. lol

I am in utter disbelief that someone would believe an internet article over the actual board that is in the phone which CLEARLY SHOWS it is a MSM8960 (see above screenshot of an actual T-Mobile GS3 phone). Have you taken any college classes that show you how to find REPUTABLE sources suitable for use in research papers? I have.
Smoke another one people who do not believe........

Uhm. Why'd you quote me?

DocHoliday77

May 10, 2011
HuntsVegas!!!
Wow....This is still going on?....again?
No offense to anyone, but seriously, I just dont understand getting worked up about something that, even IF possible, will not even be an option for the vast majority of us for at least a year, probably more!

Ok, I hope this helps.....

The US variants are all different from each other. No two are the same as far as I can tell....well I couldnt confirm Sprints, but anyway....
After a little extra digging of my own, I still do not believe that we will see LTE on this phone.
The T999 is close to the same as the I747 (AT&T). Let me say now, that I do not know the exact part numbers, chip numbers/models, but you will see in pictures that they are in fact different. These show the T999 and I535 (Verizon, used because its easier to see they are different)
I am not attaching these to the post, just to keep the size down for easier viewing. Just open each in its own tab.

T999_Internal_Pic_A

I535_Internal_Pic_A

T999_Internal_Pic_B

I535_Internal_Pic_B

Physically different yes, but does it mean that the T999 does not support LTE???
Well, sort of. It does appear to me that the chip is designed to support a number of technologies, including LTE. BUT, if it really does have hidden LTE capability, then why is it that you cannot put AT&T software and modem, on an unlocked T999, and use it on AT&Ts network? Supposedly they are the exact same....according to some of you. So the software would be key...right? Not always.

Consider this, I cannot remember which phone I ran into this on a few months ago, but i believe it was the WiFi chip in question that on other phones and according to its datasheets from Qualcomm, it was capable of Wireless N. It turned out though, that there were a couple of pins missing from the chip which prevented it from using this capability. I have also seen where it was simply that a few pins were present, but not connected to anything.

Finally, if you check the FCC, T-mobile/Samsung NEVER requested anything related to LTE during the application process. Nor did the FCC run any LTE tests on the SGH-T999! They did do this on every other carriers phone. If T-Mobile had any plans of supporting LTE on the GS3, they would have applied for it. (They do have future plans to support the Note2, and in that application it is included). Now, I am by no means an expert on the law or the rules and regulations by the FCC, but I am pretty certain that if T-Mobile were to begin supporting LTE on the T999, it would be against the law. I am sure there is something in place to have a device recertified for something like this, but does anyone seriously believe that T-Mobile and Samsung are going to go through the trouble and expense of doing this now, when they should have done it in the first place? I know I dont!

One last thing, this is entirely hearsay, and I do not know for certain about this, but I have been told that Tmobiles LTE will be using the AWS spectrum and will be operating on different frequencies than Sprint, Verizon, and AT&T. So if the GS3 was built for LTE on those networks, then it most likely will not work. They would not have tried to build for Tmobiles at-the-time unknown LTE network.

I am including some links to references I used for all of this. They are primarily from the FCC. I suggest opening each in its own tab, and then open corresponding menu items to compare. I would have posted individual links, but unless you click the link on the FCC page, it will tell you that you dont have authorization to view it....

I suggest you compare the following items:

• HAC Production Key Feature Letter
  • SAR Report
  • Internal Photos
  • Part 22 24 Test Report
  • Part 27 Test Report

In the end, the hardware probably does have the capability to use LTE, but I think it is hardware disabled (otherwise it should work on other networks). Even if I am wrong and it is fully capable, it is not licensed by the FCC to be allowed to use LTE. Either way, I am confident that we will NOT be receiving future support for it.

I hope this helps guys. And please, no more threads, this was debated to death at least once or twice already!
And no, I am not trying to argue with any of you. If you still believe that we will get LTE even after reading this, then please continue on in life, happy in your belief, while I continue on, happy in mine! We will all know for sure in a little less than a year!

A bonus pic, to help further understand where the network is headed:

TMobileRefarmingExplained.jpg
:cowboy:

Xcor3

Aug 14, 2010
Lol. This thread is funny

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-t999 using xda app-developers app

DocHoliday77

May 10, 2011
HuntsVegas!!!
Short version:
Like I said, im no expert on the FCC, but it appears that if tmobile were to give LTE to this phone, they would probably be fined by the FCC for breaking the law and not having it certified first.
I have a feeling that even if the chip is capable, itll be "hardware disabled". No proof for that though, just an educated guess!

Sent from my SGH-T999 using xda app-developers app

Reactions: elesbb

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Wow....This is still going on?....again?
    No offense to anyone, but seriously, I just dont understand getting worked up about something that, even IF possible, will not even be an option for the vast majority of us for at least a year, probably more!

Ok, I hope this helps.....

The US variants are all different from each other. No two are the same as far as I can tell....well I couldnt confirm Sprints, but anyway....
    After a little extra digging of my own, I still do not believe that we will see LTE on this phone.
    The T999 is close to the same as the I747 (AT&T). Let me say now, that I do not know the exact part numbers, chip numbers/models, but you will see in pictures that they are in fact different. These show the T999 and I535 (Verizon, used because its easier to see they are different)
    I am not attaching these to the post, just to keep the size down for easier viewing. Just open each in its own tab.

T999_Internal_Pic_A

I535_Internal_Pic_A

T999_Internal_Pic_B

I535_Internal_Pic_B

Physically different yes, but does it mean that the T999 does not support LTE???
    Well, sort of. It does appear to me that the chip is designed to support a number of technologies, including LTE. BUT, if it really does have hidden LTE capability, then why is it that you cannot put AT&T software and modem, on an unlocked T999, and use it on AT&Ts network? Supposedly they are the exact same....according to some of you. So the software would be key...right? Not always.

Consider this, I cannot remember which phone I ran into this on a few months ago, but i believe it was the WiFi chip in question that on other phones and according to its datasheets from Qualcomm, it was capable of Wireless N. It turned out though, that there were a couple of pins missing from the chip which prevented it from using this capability. I have also seen where it was simply that a few pins were present, but not connected to anything.

Finally, if you check the FCC, T-mobile/Samsung NEVER requested anything related to LTE during the application process. Nor did the FCC run any LTE tests on the SGH-T999! They did do this on every other carriers phone. If T-Mobile had any plans of supporting LTE on the GS3, they would have applied for it. (They do have future plans to support the Note2, and in that application it is included). Now, I am by no means an expert on the law or the rules and regulations by the FCC, but I am pretty certain that if T-Mobile were to begin supporting LTE on the T999, it would be against the law. I am sure there is something in place to have a device recertified for something like this, but does anyone seriously believe that T-Mobile and Samsung are going to go through the trouble and expense of doing this now, when they should have done it in the first place? I know I dont!

One last thing, this is entirely hearsay, and I do not know for certain about this, but I have been told that Tmobiles LTE will be using the AWS spectrum and will be operating on different frequencies than Sprint, Verizon, and AT&T. So if the GS3 was built for LTE on those networks, then it most likely will not work. They would not have tried to build for Tmobiles at-the-time unknown LTE network.

I am including some links to references I used for all of this. They are primarily from the FCC. I suggest opening each in its own tab, and then open corresponding menu items to compare. I would have posted individual links, but unless you click the link on the FCC page, it will tell you that you dont have authorization to view it....

I suggest you compare the following items:

• HAC Production Key Feature Letter
    • SAR Report
    • Internal Photos
    • Part 22 24 Test Report
    • Part 27 Test Report

In the end, the hardware probably does have the capability to use LTE, but I think it is hardware disabled (otherwise it should work on other networks). Even if I am wrong and it is fully capable, it is not licensed by the FCC to be allowed to use LTE. Either way, I am confident that we will NOT be receiving future support for it.

I hope this helps guys. And please, no more threads, this was debated to death at least once or twice already!
    And no, I am not trying to argue with any of you. If you still believe that we will get LTE even after reading this, then please continue on in life, happy in your belief, while I continue on, happy in mine! We will all know for sure in a little less than a year!

A bonus pic, to help further understand where the network is headed:

TMobileRefarmingExplained.jpg
    he spoke to tony stark. seems legit.
    So what we have learned in this thread is that the tmo version s3 will support LTE but it will not support LTE and that some people care and some people do not care and also apparently some people can spell better than others.

Did I sum this up correctly?:confused:

attachment.php

All 7 of them lol, I'm going to send a report with all the threads made about this subject to the mods.