19th December 2012, 09:06 PM |#5001  
OP Inactive Recognized Developer
Flag Ottawa/Gatineau, Canada
Thanks Meter: 4,164

Donate to Me
More
Post 5001 reserved for some good news.

Rumours of the death of Spirit1 are much exaggerated:
- I've added audio methods that work on Huawei GS300 & Motorola Defy XT557.
- And for future devices using "msm7x30..." audio methods with different/new numbers, such as the above, there is a "msm7x30 Custom" method, and Debug settings to set the numbers. And I fixed the logging ability to get those numbers, when killall or kill commands aren't present.
- There's a new option (Dec 20 release) for Unlocked which changes the seek up, seek down and frequency buttons (next to each other), to the same functions as the media buttons are set to. So you can use them to change presets, or anything else those buttons can do.

I still don't think I'll officially support Huawei; not sure about the Motorola Defy XT557. Probably maybe ?

ST-Ericsson proposed Android FM API is updated December 19: https://android-review.googlesource.com/#/c/46080/
- Not much change, but at least it's still moving forward.
- Yay, Google. Let's get a standard Android FM API going; It's been much asked for at least 3 years now. Let I & others get to the fun stuff, without so much reverse engineering & drudge work...

Nexus 4 may have usable FM; we are close to an answer it seems, thanks to new XDA member craggy_island: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...963623&page=16

EDIT: Good news is we have an answer for FM on Nexus 4. Bad news is the RSSI is always 0 and the FM receive antenna pin is likely grounded.
The Following User Says Thank You to mikereidis For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift mikereidis Ad-Free

19th December 2012, 11:39 PM |#5002  
Flag Recife
Thanks Meter: 410

More
Sorry
20th December 2012, 12:04 AM |#5003  

Donate to Me
More
..........Nothing to see here...
20th December 2012, 12:07 AM |#5004  
Flag Recife
Thanks Meter: 410

More
Oh you're the OP sorry i didn't seen

Sent from my GT-S5570 using xda app-developers app
20th December 2012, 01:56 AM |#5005  

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabrielking9

Oh you're the OP sorry i didn't seen

Sent from my GT-S5570 using xda app-developers app

Yeah, and with over half, or 2,500 posts mine, I figure I'll take the fun ones.

I've never noticed a mod on this thread, and thankfully nothing's ever gotten close to getting "out of hand" or needing posts deleted.

I'll have to think of something nice for those post #s, and I've already documented the Spirit2 detailed design at top of page 500, post 4991.

EDIT: Post 5000 reserved for some developer humour & the not necessarily so humorous relationship to the god-awful mess the Spirit1 code has become, and why it needs to go the way of 2012, and welcome 2013: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...postcount=5000
The Following User Says Thank You to mikereidis For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift mikereidis Ad-Free
20th December 2012, 02:22 AM |#5006  
Flag Your Basement
Thanks Meter: 7,032

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikereidis

Yeah, and with over half, or 2,500 posts mine, I figure I'll take the fun ones.

I've never noticed a mod on this thread, and thankfully nothing's ever gotten close to getting "out of hand" or needing posts deleted.

I'll have to think of something nice for those post #s, and I've already documented the Spirit2 detailed design at top of page 500, post 4991.

Hey Mike, what are the chances of getting the app to work on the Motorola Defy XT557? It's the Republic Wireless CDMA phone that I'm using as my second line right now. The basic FM radio app works ok, but I miss using Spirit like I did on my Touch Pro 2 as I did years ago. I know it won't work on the Note as the hardware is crippled, but the Defy has FM support and is rooted if that helps. When starting Spirit free for the first time, I hear audio, but then there is no audio coming from the FM radio once it starts. The signal meter indicates decent signal, just no audio from headset or loudspeaker.

All in all, it would be awesome to have this working again for old times sake, but it's no big deal if it can't be done or you simply don't want to. If it can be done, I know an entire cellular community that would eagerly pay for the market version over the crappy stock app.
20th December 2012, 02:38 AM |#5007  

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by cajunflavoredbob

Hey Mike, what are the chances of getting the app to work on the Motorola Defy XT557? It's the Republic Wireless CDMA phone that I'm using as my second line right now. The basic FM radio app works ok, but I miss using Spirit like I did on my Touch Pro 2 as I did years ago. I know it won't work on the Note as the hardware is crippled, but the Defy has FM support and is rooted if that helps. When starting Spirit free for the first time, I hear audio, but then there is no audio coming from the FM radio once it starts. The signal meter indicates decent signal, just no audio from headset or loudspeaker.

All in all, it would be awesome to have this working again for old times sake, but it's no big deal if it can't be done or you simply don't want to. If it can be done, I know an entire cellular community that would eagerly pay for the market version over the crappy stock app.

You said "When starting Spirit free for the first time, I hear audio..."

Do you mean you hear a brief burst of FM audio ?

The Audio-> Method setting of Motorola (which should be automatic) seems to work on almost every Motorola device with FM, custom ROM or stock. If it doesn't work, I'm not sure why.

There's trouble-shooting info here you can try: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...postcount=4465

You can also try running both Spirit and Motorola app at the same time, with Motorola first, or with Motorola started second.

Beyond that, try enabling Debug-> Silent Loop. If that doesn't work, try disabling Silent Loop and enabling Debug->Play Audiotrack.

Changing Debug-> Audio Focus may also help. Or Debug-> FM API.
20th December 2012, 03:46 AM |#5008  
Flag Your Basement

More
I'm testing all this on the free version as both Play versions show incompatible. I'd happily pay full price and sideload if we could get it worked out, but like I said, I understand if you'd rather not add another device.

Quote:

You said "When starting Spirit free for the first time, I hear audio..."

Do you mean you hear a brief burst of FM audio ?

Sorry, I reread my comment. Yea, that was a bit vague. What I meant was that there appeared to be some sort of sound coming from the speaker during the first time the Spirit FM app runs. It fades in, lasts for a second, and fades back out. I thought it was built into the app to test the speaker or something. This only seems happens on the first time the app is run or after clearing cache for Spirit. Beyond that, Spirit does not make a peep.

Quote:

The Audio-> Method setting of Motorola (which should be automatic) seems to work on almost every Motorola device with FM, custom ROM or stock. If it doesn't work, I'm not sure why.

It didn't work when setting it to Motorola. Restarted the app and everything.

Quote:

There's trouble-shooting info here you can try: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...postcount=4465

I'll have a look after posting this reply, and report back anything I might find.

Quote:

You can also try running both Spirit and Motorola app at the same time, with Motorola first, or with Motorola started second.

With the FM app running, but not playing anything, I get no audio from Spirit.
Something curious to note is that Spirit is granted SU rights when the stock FM app opens up.

I also tried it the other way by starting the stock FM app after Spirit, but I heard nothing but crickets.

Quote:

Beyond that, try enabling Debug-> Silent Loop. If that doesn't work, try disabling Silent Loop and enabling Debug->Play Audiotrack.

Silent Loop gave an error stating "No FM radio found" after closing and restarting the app. Play audiotrack caused a reboot when I closed the app and tried to reopen it. The reboot happened after tapping on the option to "Keep" when the pop up dialog box showed up. After that, it showed the "Please wait..." dialogue box and rebooted. After it finished rebooting, the app opened without the same issue, but still no audio.

Quote:

Changing Debug-> Audio Focus may also help. Or Debug-> FM API.

Changed Audio Focus to Enable, closed the app, and reopened it. No audio.

Changed FM API to OEM Proprietary, closed app, and reopened it. No audio.

Changed FM API to Low Level, closed app, and reopened it. No audio.

One other weird thing is that Spirit will randomly close when the stock FM app opens up, but it only closes when I hit the power button on the stock app. That may or may not be important that there is a power button in the stock app for the FM radio.

---------- Post added at 09:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:03 PM ----------

Quote:

I will respond to the troubleshooting steps I believe are relevant. Let me know if I missed any.

Quote:

How to get Spirit working ?

Any problem:
- Your device may be unsupported. See 3 - Will Spirit work on my device: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...postcount=4463

This device is not in the compatibility list.

Motorola Defy XT557

Quote:

No audio, but RSSI is 20 or more when tuned to known strong stations:
- Audio Method needs to be manually set. Set Menu->Settings-> Audio-> Method to one of the many available methods. You can stay in that config screen and try several methods in a row, listening for audio. Some tips are available in the compatibility list: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...58&postcount=2

No change, but I did hear some sound when enabling different device methods. Nothing special, but they all sounded like someone tapping on a microphone once or twice.

HTC
HTC One X/X+ Int
Sony Ericsson
ZTE SanFran2/Blade2
msm7x30 HTC
msm7x30 Samsung
msm7x30 Huawei

Quote:

Use Menu-> Email Logs, and after 10-20 seconds of data gathering, press Send from your email client. If direct emailing is not available, send /sdcard/sprt_debug.txt.

E-mail logs sent.
20th December 2012, 03:53 AM |#5009  

Donate to Me
More
Quote:

One other weird thing is that Spirit will randomly close when the stock FM app opens up, but it only closes when I hit the power button on the stock app.

Media apps, like Spirit, are supposed to close when they "lose permanent audio focus". This will happen if you open another media app. I think the same can happen if you open Spirit, or most FM apps, when another music player is open. The previous music player is closed.

This can sometimes prevent 2 FM apps from running at the same time. Disabling Debug-> Audio focus can disable this, but there can still be problems. The default automatic setting generally means it's disabled when using OEM Proprietary FM APIs (mostly on stock, un-rooted ROMs), since there is stuff in the API to handle it automatically. And it automatically gets enabled when using low level APIs, because Spirit has to deal with it then.

Quote:

I'm testing all this on the free version as both Play versions show incompatible. I'd happily pay full price and sideload if we could get it worked out, but like I said, I understand if you'd rather not add another device....

Well thanks for trying, but I'll just have to continue to call this device un-supported. EDIT: Guess not, we got it !

There are some UI modified Motorola FM apps posted here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1942120 and some older ones here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=903103

Quote:

This device is not in the compatibility list. Motorola Defy XT557

It is now, under "These devices with TI chips do not work well:".

EDIT: Guess we can change that for the better now.
20th December 2012, 05:31 AM |#5010  
Flag Your Basement

More
Quote:

There are some UI modified Motorola FM apps posted here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1942120 and some older ones here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=903103

It is now, under "These devices with TI chips do not work well:".

I tried out some of the suggestions in the first thread. The best I managed to do was get that clicking noise when it starts up and when I switch to a new station. No other audio, although stock FM app works fine.

Oh well, thanks for trying. Maybe I'll dig my Touch Pro 2 out for nostalgia's sake...

---------- Post added at 11:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:14 PM ----------

Steps in the e-mail worked perfectly. Information responded via e-mail.
20th December 2012, 06:10 AM |#5011  

Donate to Me
More
I updated post 5001 with some good news today: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...postcount=5001

Briefly:
- Rumours of the death of Spirit1 are much exaggerated.
- ST-Ericsson proposed Android FM API is updated December 19.
- Nexus 4 may have usable FM; we are close to an answer it seems, thanks to new XDA member craggy_island. (EDIT: Bad news: no FM.)

And post 5000 was reserved for some developer humour & the not necessarily so humorous relationship to the god-awful mess the Spirit1 code has become, and why it needs to go the way of 2012, and welcome 2013: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...postcount=5000
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
spirit fm radio receiver ota

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)