Post Reply Email Thread
1st May 2013, 06:22 AM |#5991  
OP Inactive Recognized Developer
Flag Ottawa/Gatineau, Canada
Thanks Meter: 4,164

Donate to Me
More
Page 600.

April 29 test release for, and as posted in an LG P990 / Optimus 2x thread: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...9&postcount=49

Quote:

Here's an April 29 test release of the free version that should use the new controls: http://devhost.xda-developers.com/fcD

Audio-> Method should automatically default to the resurrected "LG P990".

This audio method enables Debug-> Silent Loop by default, as well as Debug-> Power Restart Media.

You can try disabling Silent Loop if no audio, but background volume control likely won't work. Power Restart Media restarts the audio system at FM off, but might not be needed.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mikereidis For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift mikereidis Ad-Free

1st May 2013, 06:22 AM |#5992  
Thanks Meter: 31

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikereidis

It appears to have a Broadcom BCM4330 FM/combo chip, so set Debug-> FM Chip to "BCM 433x/207xx".

Spirit's auto detection gets a bit confused because there is a V4L driver, but it doesn't work. It's intended for TI chips, because the kernel/chipset is TI OMAP.

Because it's a Broadcom FM chip connected to a TI audio chip, FM audio support may be tricky.

But the Audio-> Method setting most likely to work is "Galaxy GT-I9100G". The 9100G also uses OMAP, but with a Silicon Labs FM chip. Hopefully "FM AUX" is always used regardless of chip.

I say "Hopefully", but I can't imagine officially supporting this phone.

After applying the settings you've provided, I'm not receiving anymore errors. However, I'm not hearing any audio. Is there any additional option that I need to do?
1st May 2013, 06:35 AM |#5993  

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruelericsapalaran

After applying the settings you've provided, I'm not receiving anymore errors. However, I'm not hearing any audio. Is there any additional option that I need to do?

Well, if RSSI at top left goes above 20 or so when a wired headset is plugged in and frequency tuned to a strong station, that means the FM chip stuff is working.

Then the "additional option" is to find some way to enable FM audio.

If GT-I9100G didn't work, you can raise volume, listen on wired headset and try every other Audio-> Method setting to see if one works.

If none works, I have no answer.

There are MANY much more popular phones I've never been able to enable FM audio for (actually the most common problem) and I won't even attempt anything for the P940. Even if I enable FM audio on a phone that I don't have myself, there are often many problems with phone calls and audio notifications etc.
1st May 2013, 09:28 AM |#5994  
Thanks Meter: 31

More
Quote:

Well, if RSSI at top left goes above 20 or so when a wired headset is plugged in and frequency tuned to a strong station, that means the FM chip stuff is working.

Then the "additional option" is to find some way to enable FM audio.

If GT-I9100G didn't work, you can raise volume, listen on wired headset and try every other Audio-> Method setting to see if one works.

If none works, I have no answer.

There are MANY much more popular phones I've never been able to enable FM audio for (actually the most common problem) and I won't even attempt anything for the P940. Even if I enable FM audio on a phone that I don't have myself, there are often many problems with phone calls and audio notifications etc.

I noticed something. It seems that the error won't appear after a reboot. However, if you just installed it and applied the settings you indicated, there is still an error: it says "Error: No FM Accessible SU:2 Fm:BC3 Su:1 Bt:0 Ht:0 Mo:BCU Mo:BCU Mo:BCU".

Will this help?
1st May 2013, 06:05 PM |#5995  
Flag Bucharest
Thanks Meter: 18

More
Hello,

great app, bought it from playstore. I'm using it on GS2 I9100 international with CM 10.1 from a few nights ago (27/04). I have a couple of questions/issues:

1. Is recording possible only in digital mode? I get empty sound files in analogue.
2. Are the following known issues?
- When in digital mode (either auto or GS2) I cannot switch between earphones and external speaker, it just stays on earphones after it tries to switch.
- After using digital mode, external speaker and microphone don't work anymore. Tried switching back to analogue, plugging earphones in and out, but only a reboot fixes it.

LE. It seems that if I don't try to switch between earphone and external speaker, while in digital mode, only the microphone is affected. External speaker works fine...

Thanks
1st May 2013, 09:46 PM |#5996  

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruelericsapalaran

"Error: No FM Accessible SU:2 Fm:BC3 Su:1 Bt:0 Ht:0 Mo:BCU Mo:BCU Mo:BCU".

Will this help?

Not really. I give up & have no further suggestions.
The Following User Says Thank You to mikereidis For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift mikereidis Ad-Free
1st May 2013, 10:01 PM |#5997  

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by boggie81

GS2 I9100 international with CM 10.1 from a few nights ago (27/04)....

1. Is recording possible only in digital mode? I get empty sound files in analogue.

Recording is intended to work with analog audio methods, at least low level ALSA based methods. It's worked for me during my tests on CM10.1, but those tests were a month or more ago, and I do little testing of this now.

Recording should ALWAYS work with digital audio methods. If the sound is hearable on speaker or headset, then recording is pretty much guaranteed to work. The same data written to Android audio APIs is also written to the output file.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boggie81

2. Are the following known issues?
- When in digital mode (either auto or GS2) I cannot switch between earphones and external speaker, it just stays on earphones after it tries to switch.
- After using digital mode, external speaker and microphone don't work anymore. Tried switching back to analogue, plugging earphones in and out, but only a reboot fixes it.

LE. It seems that if I don't try to switch between earphone and external speaker, while in digital mode, only the microphone is affected. External speaker works fine...

Thanks

Someone else has reported no speaker output but I haven't been able to reproduce that problem.

Removing and installing a wired headset plug while FM is playing digitally is known to cause some issues.

For problems that leave audio hardware in a bad state there is a brute force fix that resets all Android audio. Enable Debug-> Power Restart Media and the reset happens when FM is turned off (but not when muted or during an interrupting phone call etc.)

At this time my best responses for digital audio problems remain:

- It's still "experimental" and, based on the many problem reports I've had and my limited time, will likely remain experimental at least until the fall of this year.

- Different ROMs and kernels will give different results. I do most testing on CM10.1 with the stock CM10.1 kernel and pretty much every setting at defaults. So far I also don't test on phones with many apps running and with CPU time and memory in short supply.
2nd May 2013, 06:07 AM |#5998  
Thanks Meter: 22

More
Thumbs up
anybody, who made it run under [ROM][Jellybean 4.2.2][JDQ39E] ThinkingBridge ROM [I9100][Apr 24,2013][Stable 1] ?
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...4#post40875684

Quote:

at least for the now most common "Galaxy S2/Note ALSA" method (#6) needed since CM went to open source libraries.

I went back to ROM stock kernel 3.0.31-CM and upgraded Spirit FM from oder version to 0421fr.apk.
Now FM is working like a charm, due to whatever.

Germany settings:
Band: World 50 KHz
Audio Method: Galaxy S2/Note ALSA
All other things: Default
2nd May 2013, 07:31 AM |#5999  
Flag Bucharest
Thanks Meter: 18

More
Quote:

Recording is intended to work with analog audio methods, at least low level ALSA based methods. It's worked for me during my tests on CM10.1, but those tests were a month or more ago, and I do little testing of this now.

Recording should ALWAYS work with digital audio methods. If the sound is hearable on speaker or headset, then recording is pretty much guaranteed to work. The same data written to Android audio APIs is also written to the output file.

Removing and installing a wired headset plug while FM is playing digitally is known to cause some issues.

- Different ROMs and kernels will give different results. I do most testing on CM10.1 with the stock CM10.1 kernel and pretty much every setting at defaults. So far I also don't test on phones with many apps running and with CPU time and memory in short supply.

I did a full wipe and installed the latest CM 10.1 stock nightly. Unfortunately the same issues persist.

I do remember that a couple of months ago recording did work on analogue mode

At this point, neither mode is fully usable. In analogue, recording doesn't work, while digital mode breaks the microphone, without me messing around with plugging the headset in and out while FM is playing.

Even with these little hiccups, it does give us FM on custom roms, and that's good enough for me.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to boggie81 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift boggie81 Ad-Free
2nd May 2013, 08:21 AM |#6000  

Donate to Me
More
"Where has all the FM gone ? Gone to streaming, every one ?"
Post 6000.

Samsung, Motorola and LG all seem to be removing or disabling FM on recent high end / flagship devices.

The ST-Ericsson proposed Android FM API continues to go nowhere after more than 2 years, and ST-Ericsson seems to be imploding.

And the much bally-hooed Sprint deal with US broadcasters to enable FM on 30 million smartphones in the US doesn't seem to be going anywhere fast either.

Someone such as myself, whose only income is from an OTA FM app, has got to wonder if the writing is on the wall.

Even if lower end phones still have FM, logic and experience dictate that high end phone owners are MUCH more likely to buy apps such as Spirit.

I'm pretty sure there's at least 1 year of life left in Spirit. As time goes on, more and more GS1, GS2, GS3 etc. owners will be installing custom ROMs, so there's a long tail effect I think.

But I have to keep my eyes open to what's going on, and consider what other or related app areas I might need to eventually transition to. Audio related makes sense.

At least 1 more year of life means that I'll have good time to get the bugs out of digital audio modes, and there are still many new features to come.

Since I'm not getting a GS4 this year, I'm considering an Xperia Z or HTC One or similar. The former is getting an AOSP, but Sony might abandon that after a year like they did for Xperia S.

HTC One seems to me better and will sell better, despite some issues with bootloader locks and less info from HTC. I see many more threads for HTC One than Xperia Z.

Strange thing though is that I've had very few queries about either phone yet, despite a few sales.

FreeXperia, the "CM variant" for Sony devices, has a working open source FM app; the first and only CM FM app since the GB days. So, I expect few sales on Sony's.

Maybe I won't even get a new phone this year. If I do it will likely be the HTC One, or a similar device, like the lesser M4.

But, if Spirit works reasonably well on the HTC One without me getting one, and/or if demand is low enough, I may not get a One or any phone at all this year.

In a way it will be nice to concentrate on the very popular phones I already have, instead of constantly having to reverse engineer and make fixes for new devices.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mikereidis For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift mikereidis Ad-Free
2nd May 2013, 08:22 AM |#6001  

Donate to Me
More
"Galaxy S4 = No OTA FM: In with a bang, and out with a whimper."
There is no usable FM, on the GT-I9500, or Qualcomm S4s such as T-Mobile SGH-M919 or Vodaphone UK GT-I9505.

I examined Spirit debug logs from a rooted Indian GT-I9500, T-Mobile SGH-M919 & Vodaphone UK GT-I9505.

Spirit appears to work, as it does on so many devices with no usable FM, but RSSI is always 0 on GT-I9500, and on SGH-M919 & GT-I9505 it was 0 or -17.

This is on the Broadcom BCM4335 FM/combo chip that all S4 variants have. The FM antenna pin is likely grounded / disabled and unusable.

And, other than a tiny clue in the kernel source, there's no indication of a dedicated FM chip on the PCBs, like the SI470x chips on previous International GS1 / GS2 / GS3 / Player / Note / Note2.

Hypothetically, there could be a dedicated Silicon Labs FM chip, or the PCB space and traces for it, hidden on the GT-I9500 PCBs. But Samsung would be crazy to waste a dollar on a dedicated FM only chip when FM is not officially supported. Even if there was a space for a chip.

Hypothetically, FM might just be missing, or disabled, in the bcm4335.hcd "patchram, almost firmware" kind of file. But I've never seen this happen before.

Hypothetically, there could be a software controlled switch somewhere that magically connects the FM antenna pin to headset, but I've never seen this before either.

So, I consider this case closed, for now at least, unless someone comes up with some interesting new observations.

My predictions were wrong, whatever, keeps life interesting and educational.

EDIT: May 20:
I had thought the existence of FM specific voice command text in ROM dumps indicated that FM was planned at some point.

But the GS3 GT-I9300 has voice commands in the latest stock JB leaked ROM, and it includes support for FM. See http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...postcount=6078

I will be interested to eventually see the service manual schematics. Like those for the Nexus4 and Optimus G, I wouldn't be surprised to see evidence that an FM antenna connection to the BCM4335 had been planned, then scrapped. Then again, the kernel GPIO symbols imply an SI470x dedicated FM chip, so the schematic might show some dangling connections for that.
The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to mikereidis For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift mikereidis Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
spirit fm radio receiver ota

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)