Moto G and Three Uk to act as home broadband?

Search This thread

opencube

Jan 26, 2010
My sister's family live in the countryside and ADSL there is extremely slow (0.5Mb.)

I tested my 3G speed there with my Nexus 5 and managed to get a speed of 7.5Mb, and thought that they may be able to use a cheap android phone in conjunction with a Moto G to act as a wireless hotspot for the home.

I know Three's One Plan allows tethering through a phone, but not through a 3G router, or MiFi.

Was wondering wether if it would be better to have a router connect to the Moto G's hotspot, and then for devices to connect to the router as it may send out a better wifi signal around the home?

Would be interested in other's thoughts.

Thanks

Atomix86

Jul 5, 2011
Doesn't work like that, the devices need to connect directly to the phone. I did this myself for over a year with a note 2 and it was dire, if one person is doing something even remotely demanding, you can forget about anyone else getting any pages loaded.

Sent from my Google Nexus G - ;)

Reactions: opencube

opencube

Jan 26, 2010
Hi, thank for your reply.

Was performance really that bad.

As I say, their current connection is dreadful so surely could only be better?

Also whats stopping using a router/wireless bridge connect with the Moto G as the hotspot, then the router/wirelessbridge being the point all devices connect to?

Im just interested in why... not being funny with you :)

Atomix86

Jul 5, 2011
Sorry for the slow reply, I didn't even check this thread (yup I'm a moron lol). I've never tried the method of using a bridge so I can't comment, as for the performance, it will certainly be better for a single person using it (or even a few if it's simple browsing/Facebook games/low res 360p YouTube etc), but if anyone tries HD streaming, or online gaming, or downloading a file, they will get a so-so experience and anyone else won't get a look in.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using xda app-developers app

liveroy

Jun 8, 2007
/dev/null
www.gear-bg.com
Doesn't work like that, the devices need to connect directly to the phone. I did this myself for over a year with a note 2 and it was dire, if one person is doing something even remotely demanding, you can forget about anyone else getting any pages loaded.

It should be fine with a router connected to the Moto G's hotspot as a client and eveything else in the house will connect to the router, will get ofcourse better coverage at the house and you can place the Moto G somewhere where it will pick best signal from the mobile network.

Atomix86

Jul 5, 2011
It should be fine with a router connected to the Moto G's hotspot as a client and eveything else in the house will connect to the router, will get ofcourse better coverage at the house and you can place the Moto G somewhere where it will pick best signal from the mobile network.

Perhaps, but that won't increase the speed for anyone, just adds another link to the chain.

dj_crash1981

May 2, 2011
I tether all the time on three I get fast speed between 12 am & 3pm then speed drops because I have high usage last month I used 100gig

Sent from my MotoG using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Atomix86

Jul 5, 2011
Well, we ain't taking about speed boost here, it's about providing the entire house with a little bit better internet than they currently have.
You've missed the point of my post. Whether all the devices in the house connect directly to the phone, or through a bridged router, nothing will change at all. It is simply adding an unnecessary link to the chain.

Atomix86

Jul 5, 2011
Dunno what I`ve missed, but you seems to have missed the point of the whole thread .....

Not at all. If you actually read the thread you will see I have provided factual information from actually having the experience of using what the OP is asking for. You have simply posted an off-the-cuff troll post with no intention of providing any information and have started getting aggressive for no reason.

liveroy

Jun 8, 2007
/dev/null
www.gear-bg.com
Not at all. If you actually read the thread you will see I have provided factual information from actually having the experience of using what the OP is asking for. You have simply posted an off-the-cuff troll post with no intention of providing any information and have started getting aggressive for no reason.

Read again what I`ve posted, if I wanted to troll you I wouldn';t even care to point that you've gone totally off-topic.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.