ICS Control v.21 - utility for controlling internet connection sharing

Search This thread

lysdexical

Mar 14, 2008
Do you need ActiveSync installed for Ev-DO to USB to work?

I'm not sure, but it may depend on the "Enabled advanced network functionality" setting under settings->communications->usb to pc on the PDA. If that box is checked, then even without activesync installed I think the the PDA may show up on the PC as a USB network adapter, and then sharing EVDO to USB to work. This is just speculation though.

cricketman24

Jan 11, 2008
hm...does this mean that I might be able to finally allow my TomTom GPS to access the internet to get traffic updates and stuff of that sort?

Nunim

Dec 26, 2007
I asked about ActiveSync because of a driver issue, but once I sucessfully got it installed all I had to do was enable ICS and connect the device. I have the advanced network functionality checked, but I'm not sure if it matters.

lysdexical

Mar 14, 2008
sorry im a bit thick with comms settings, im getting a fatal nat driver not found error,, I have no idea what a nat driver is .do you??

The NAT driver is the component of Windows Mobile that handles most of Internet Connection Sharing. Do you have an item called "ipnat" in your /Windows directory on your phone? You should be able to see it with File Explorer. Also, which phone are you using?

newquaymarc

Aug 13, 2006
truro cornwall
The NAT driver is the component of Windows Mobile that handles most of Internet Connection Sharing. Do you have an item called "ipnat" in your /Windows directory on your phone? You should be able to see it with File Explorer. Also, which phone are you using?
hiya cheers for ya help, its an xda ii yes got the dll file, im trying to link to laptop, using gprs orange internet in the uk, but still same error

NxJay

Apr 4, 2005
London
Anyone using this app gotten any extra data charges on their bill at the end of the month?

I'm currently using the internet sharing app on my WM6 ROM but my telco (o2) can apparently see when i'm tethering my XDA to my laptop cos i've been smacked with data charges for PC usage.

Does this app allow PC usage without incurring additional costs or is it built on the framework of the internet sharing app?

newquaymarc

Aug 13, 2006
truro cornwall
update

I had a look at ipnat.dll it was 0 byte, so I've coppied the ipnat.dll from my laptops driver dir to my xda but still the same error,, do I need an edited ipnat ?? I need this to work as we have lost broad band and can only get on net thru my xda, any ideas what is wrong?

n7ekg

Mar 23, 2008
I'm confused, and the "more info" link doesn't work :( Does anyone have explicit instructions on how to set up and use this thing? I can't see the phone via WiFi from my laptop... Thanks in advance!

newquaymarc

Aug 13, 2006
truro cornwall
need more info

I'm confused, and the "more info" link doesn't work :( Does anyone have explicit instructions on how to set up and use this thing? I can't see the phone via WiFi from my laptop... Thanks in advance!
I think we all need more info on settings. im not using wifi, im using orange gprs in uk, what should public interface be, what should private interface be, how do I find my private ip. sorry not clued up on these things,, sorry for being comms thick

lysdexical

Mar 14, 2008
Anyone using this app gotten any extra data charges on their bill at the end of the month?

I'm currently using the internet sharing app on my WM6 ROM but my telco (o2) can apparently see when i'm tethering my XDA to my laptop cos i've been smacked with data charges for PC usage.

Does this app allow PC usage without incurring additional costs or is it built on the framework of the internet sharing app?

ICSControl does NOT use intshrui.exe, also known as the Internet Sharing app. That application appears to dial the internet in a special way that lets the carrier know you are sharing so they can charge accordingly. ICSControl does not do this so the carrier would not detect sharing in this fashion. However, there are other methods that a carrier could use to detect PC-based data usage, for example they could monitor web traffic to see how your web browser identifies itself to remote servers. I do not know if any carriers do this but I suspect they do not. The safest thing to do would be to try it out for a few minutes and wait for your next bill.

lysdexical

Mar 14, 2008
I had a look at ipnat.dll it was 0 byte, so I've coppied the ipnat.dll from my laptops driver dir to my xda but still the same error,, do I need an edited ipnat ?? I need this to work as we have lost broad band and can only get on net thru my xda, any ideas what is wrong?

Drivers from a laptop are NOT compatible with PDA's, they are entirely different architectures. It appears that on your device the ipnat driver exists but is configured in a strange way or is not configured at all. The next release of ICSControl will attempt to fix this.

lysdexical

Mar 14, 2008

The adapter names differ from device to device. For sharing over WiFi:
1) To go your WiFi settings and select the "only computer to computer" under "Networks to Access" dropdown menu. Select "Add New" in the network list and pick a network name. Select "Work" in the "connects to" option and check the "this is a device to device connection" box. You can set up security if you know how and wish to do so.
2) Run ICSControl. Go to the bottom and hit Set All Defaults. Now go back to the top. Set your public interface to "Cellular Line" or "GPRS". If you don't have either of those then make a guess at what the cellular modem is called. Set your private interface to the name of your wireless card, usually it is easy to spot because it will have a W in it somewhere. Check the "Set Private IP" box.
3) Tap Start ICS.
4) Your laptop should now be able to connect to the adhoc network.

Last edited:

newquaymarc

Aug 13, 2006
truro cornwall
sorted

problem is sorted out for me now, i have upgraded my xda to C_ShekharWM6.1 and am using internet sharing, its working great, no problems with extra charges as im on orange pay as ya go sim and get 24 hours of unlimited internet for £1 a day so no way they can charge me any extra's,, thanks for all your help

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    UPDATE
    April 5, 2008 - v0.21 released.

ICS Control is a GUI front-end for Internet Connection Sharing, a component of Microsoft Windows Mobile. It can be configured to do a variety of things including sharing your cellular internet connection over an adhoc WiFi network.

Requirements: .NET Compact Framework 2.0 and Windows Mobile 5 or later with the IPNAT driver included (most WM6 builds have this built-in). The "Internet Sharing" application that some phones have is not required, but IPNAT is.

ICSControl is a single .exe file, included in the zip file below. You can place it directly in /Windows/Start Menu/Programs/ on your device and it will appear as an icon in Programs. Or you can place it elsewhere and create a shortcut.

Comments, bug reports, and requests are welcome.

If you like this program and would like to express your appreciation with money, you can donate via Paypal.

Changelog

v0.21
    - Added host names from DHCP leases to DMZ and InternalHost dropdown lists.

v0.2
    - DHCP Lease editing is completed.
    - Virtual Server (aka incoming port mapping) configuration is completed.
    - Application definitions (aka outgoing port triggers) configuration is completed.
    - Added really simple icons.
    - Attempts to accomodate weird ipnat driver configurations.
    - Other minor changes/fixes.

v0.11
    - Added auto-dialing to Connection Manager destinations
    - Added private interface IP setting
    - Fixed bugs involving the up/down controls.
    - IMPORTANT: If you were using v.1, some of your saved settings may be messed up. To fix this, press the Set All Defaults button at the bottom of the settings panel.

More info on Internet Connection Sharing

ICS allows a private network (for example, an ad-hoc WiFi network) to access another network (for example, the internet) as long as the Windows Mobile device is connected to both networks. It should be able to share between any set of adapters. The common configurations of course would be:

Cellular to WiFi (probably the most common scenario, sharing internet access to a WiFi network)
    Cellular to Bluetooth PAN
    Cellular to USB

But it should also work with more "interesting" combinations like:

VPN to Wifi - get wireless clients onto a VPN
    Wifi to Bluetooth - allow bluetooth network devices to access a WLAN.
    Wifi to USB - basically the pda acts as a wireless network card for the PC (neat, eh?)