[4/2/2009] Polaris HebPack Project (READ THE UPDATE)

Search This thread

nir36

Retired Moderator
Dec 5, 2007
Jerusalem
www.sq-web.com
[4/2/2009]
As you probably know, the_dude created a fully compatible and working OS translation and hebrew support pack for the touch HD.
If anyone's interested in a full hebrew support including translation, look it up.
In the meanwhile, i've registered a few dll's a bit differently in the early version of the arabizer and cabbed the fonts edited by InfX for comfortability purposes.
I will be posting them tomorrow.

I will also make some time for listing all hebrew pack versions for us to choose from to use with different browsers and different ROMs.
After assuming the best version, I will hopefully be able to edit it with the help of a few others to acheive maximum usability and lightness. you should remember that we prefered offering a LIGHT version of hebrew support for people who want to read hebrew and write hebrew.. but leave the OS as is, thus having a stable and light installation.

I'm culpable of neglecting this thread lately and i'm sorry. I hope that together we'll be able to release a version to redeem everyone in xda-devs AND fxp from having hebrew problems.

Also, for your information, and don't quote me on that (because it simply won't help you :)), we can break the market. Don't ask me how I know that.. that's inside info.
that's good for anyone who's been a part of this thread.

[20/12/2008]
I've edited the DLLs and replaced a few files in 0.2.2b.
I'm not positive that everything will work smoothly but i do ask that you try this as this would certainly be an indication of progress if it fixed some problems.

This is not a cab. simply copy all files besides the Areg files to your windows folder.

http://rapidshare.com/files/173398007/Vesion_0_2_2b.zip

This is a cab created by prattjo. try it, and post your feedback. when you feedback, please post the EXACT problem. (i.e. Opera9.5, can't see hebrew)...
http://xdaforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=136058&d=1228894308

You can ignore the Arabic chars if they appear after using this version.
We already know a POSSIBLE solution to this problems so worst case scenario is that we'll copy over the fonts... unless we manage to find a way to bypassing this ****.

[27/11/2008]

Alright, people are having problems (and i noticed one myself in an sms i got) with arabic numerals appearing instead of regular ones.
Until we solve this problem, the temporary solution is replacing your default system unicode fonts with the ones edited by InfX.

copy the fonts from the file to your /windows dir, overwrite and SR.

http://rapidshare.com/files/167920271/fonts_without_the_arabic_numbers.rar

[26/11/2008]

In the following post by prattjo you will find a mixed version of the arabizer. I haven't had the time to check it out yet but you're all invited to try it and give
feedback.

http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=2961322&postcount=186

[24/11/2008]

our first jumping stone is a cab created by Infx.. only a tryout of an integrated file, unedited (other than the font files inside, which is something we'd like to completely delete eventually) but apparently working.
try it out and give us your opinion.
go to post 140 to check what he wrote about this

a request. when posting feedback, please write the following
Browser - problems
Shell - problems
SMS - problems
Interface - problems... and so forth

Version 0.2.1: http://xdaforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=132175&d=1227478867

[23/11/2008]

Project presented

We can officially call it a project now.
eranar introduced us a with a solution to the hebrew problem presented on most HTC devices. instead of using PDAC/Eyron/LENg we can now use 3 cabs which give us right to left writing/reading in hebrew without changing the interface of WM.

the thing is, that these 3 cabs have lots of garbage inside. some font files which are not required, unattended dlls which should be changed to fit hebrew rather than arabic, and so forth. we will be extracting ONLY what is needed, edit the dlls, delete unwanted files, explore the needed registry values/xmls and eventually create 1 cab which would grant you the ability to read and write hebrew in (hopefully) all browsers and different shells of WM.
bnm7bnm already posted some scrs of it working (even in M2D!!!) and we're proud to blow out the heavy expensive PDAC and Eyron and the Free and HORRIBLY troublesome LENg.

This not only lets us XDA-Devs have heb support but also create a fully resourceful and changeable packaging.

hopefully, after creating a complete package and prove it's working correctly, we can expand to other sections of the forum to present this wonderful solution to everyone else.

eran, let's all get credit for creating a fully automated solution for this.
All i can do is request that you do not publicize this solution so you can get credit for creating a complete package working on all devices after we're done here.

by the way, if you had any problems with different roms due to the installation of PDAC/Eyron/LENg, this will most probably solve all of them. this package changes NOTHING in your system, so it will not interfere with flashing different roms and working with them.

what i would like to point out tho, is that this is not meant for people who want to have a hebrew interface. you will not be able to have a Hebrew Windows, this only grants the ability to read/write hebrew.

First Beta:
http://rapidshare.com/files/166411188/Hebrew_Support_Pack.zip.html
readme is in the zip.

cheers.

With your permission, I wish to collect donations for this work. Instead of dividing this between us PDA people, it will all go to צער בעלי חיים.. i've been volunteering there for quite a while now and have been donating every month. (anyone donating will be posted as a Donator in this thread and in the final cab release)
If you want to receive donations for yourselves instead, let me know so i can link your paypals here.

If you do wish to donate, use this link:
Donate..

thank you in advance.

some screenshots courtesy of bnm7bnm:
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

Last edited:

tamirl

Apr 28, 2008
I have EYRON software and working very good but the vertion is for HTC touch (not touch polaris). you have to call EYRON to send the link for you.

sagytb

Jul 13, 2007
NJ
The best Hebrew is PDAC, from the following reasons:
1. EYRON built by patches, no clear version for WM6.1
2. Eyron slow down the devices.
3. Eyron Takes more resources.
For both software it's recommended to use English as default leng.

ys222

Jun 18, 2008
Tel Aviv
Paragon :)

you are probably meant pargon....
No - it is not working since udK last ROM as well as other ROMs related to 20721 and above, I don't know way, I didn't fined any explanation to that all over the network.
right now the only solution that left is to install the Eyron triel version and to disable to multilanguge support - so you will have the fonts but you will need to read it like english :)
I don't think it is related to the cooked ROMs - it is related to the Kernel version (since udK R8 and R0 are the same releases but different kernels).
if the hebrew is so importent - R8 is the last one to "support" Paragon

bnm7bnm

Mar 11, 2008
LENg

I used LENg and it worked good on every rom (r6,r7,r8,pham quang)
Disabled everything in LENg setting and even removed SIP from registry & (i use resco keyboard) only installed it for read hebrew text and it worked good until the new Syrus r0 rom..

nir36

Retired Moderator
Dec 5, 2007
Jerusalem
www.sq-web.com
I used LENg and it worked good on every rom (r6,r7,r8,pham quang)
Disabled everything in LENg setting and even removed SIP from registry & (i use resco keyboard) only installed it for read hebrew text and it worked good until the new Syrus r0 rom..

i'm using resco keyboard as well with a diamond skin since it supports hebrew.
i'm also using an english interface.. the hebrew one is horrilbe.

I guess i'll try what you're telling me since i don't intend to use syrius until it brightens up a bit... and R8 is GREAT! (or PhamQuang maybe).

thank you

bnm7bnm

Mar 11, 2008
i'm using resco keyboard as well with a diamond skin since it supports hebrew.
i'm also using an english interface.. the hebrew one is horrilbe.

I guess i'll try what you're telling me since i don't intend to use syrius until it brightens up a bit... and R8 is GREAT! (or PhamQuang maybe).

thank you

In resco keyboard you can adjust almost any skin to support hebrew:

In \program files\resco keyboard pro\skins\**skin name**
edit skin.ini file

IncompatibleLanguages=****** <-----delete IL for there

This way almost every skin support hebrew,
Sometimes some letters not aligned good on skin then edit skin.ini file

in [Default]
theres pixels position of each letter so count what order of letter not aligned and edit pixels to make it good.

Hope it helps, anyway its only partial solution......
In OPAL keyboard it supports 5 languages if i don't mistake hope its possible to add hebrew there..

ys222

Jun 18, 2008
Tel Aviv
Resco Keyboard Pro for Pocket PC 5.11

Resco Keyboard Pro for Pocket PC V5.11 SUPPORT Hebrew ?
do you mean that if I install only this software I'll be able to R/W hebrew ?

nir36

Retired Moderator
Dec 5, 2007
Jerusalem
www.sq-web.com
actually, it doesn't really matter if it says it can't support hebrew, if you choose any skin it'll pop up a message which tells you Hebrew is not supported but then it'll show the letters anyways. and yeah, it has some alignement problems and it misses a patch letter or so, but it's really really good and comfortable.

InfX

May 1, 2008
My personal experience with some of those programs on stock ROM (never tried any of those on any cooked ROM):

• LENg
    Fast, but seem to have some major problems. For example, it right-aligns every single line in every single document in pocket word, including English documents. The normal word alignment buttons won't work anymore. It does this in many other places as well, rendering many programs useless, or hardly usable. Thanks, but no thanks.
  • PDAC
    Works, but slow down the device A LOT. In some programs, such as Haali Reader, text rendering becomes unbearably slow. Slow to such an extent i actually prefer to drop PDAC and have a more responsive device instead of having the Hebrew support !!!
  • EYRON
    Tried to install it once (they got a one week trial), but never got it to work. Most probably, this is my fault, not Eyron's, but i never really tried hard, after reading other users claims of PDAC being faster than Eyron.
After all, the only places i really need Hebrew in are GPS map and the Opera browser. Both iGo8 and Opera got internal bidi support. I can live without the SMS/contacts/etc in Hebrew. It would be nice to have, but not at the cost of slowing or screwing the entire system down

nir36

Retired Moderator
Dec 5, 2007
Jerusalem
www.sq-web.com
well all the sms's i get from the university and from friends are in hebrew, and iGO works fine in hebrew.. i don't really need hebrew in opera... and i don't mind about the contacts either.. SMS's are my problem

InfX

May 1, 2008
You can still see the Hebrew letter in SMS without the bidi support, but yea, you don't have to tell me, reading Hebrew left to right isn't very convenient.

Anyway, there might be a possible solution for the SMS. All we need is an alternative SMS application with internal bidi support.

Currently i don't know about any, but just in case you find one, please let the other know, me included :)

Also, if you happen to know a worthy open source SMS app, adding minimal bidi support for it may not be as complicated as most may think.

bnm7bnm

Mar 11, 2008
well, i install LENg, but when i load the rom it doesn't let me change anything so i can't disable the interface... what should i do?
What do you mean? first you flash rom then you install LENg.......

I did it so many times and every time it worked ok (exclude Syrus r0)
I saved the cab from the exe file so i don't have to enter the code every time its ready on my SD card,

so after HR i install it
then restart
then disable all settings in LENg
set regional setting to English - US
restart
delete registry in CLSID for the keyboard
delete registry "tegis" in hklm\software
restart
install resco
set resco default
install SIPchanger
restart
Thats it! i got hebrew with no annoying keyboard that pops up instead of other keyboards.

My personal experience with some of those programs on stock ROM (never tried any of those on any cooked ROM):

• LENg
    Fast, but seem to have some major problems. For example, it right-aligns every single line in every single document in pocket word, including English documents. The normal word alignment buttons won't work anymore. It does this in many other places as well, rendering many programs useless, or hardly usable. Thanks, but no thanks.
Didn't try the other two, but tried LENg on many roms and i would say that the alignment is LENg's ONLY problem (after disabling all options and disabling the keyboard)
Its not small problem but still its very usable and there is "pocket notepad" its text editor that not aligning anything it shows files normally but sometimes it writes "file too big to open..."
And as i see other reviews LENg is the fastest between the three.
If at least we could only read SMS and EMAILs so we could get along without any of them but this is so basic that we can't be without it...

InfX

May 1, 2008
Realigning the haali reader to the right puts a big red X on leng for me.

nir36

Retired Moderator
Dec 5, 2007
Jerusalem
www.sq-web.com
You can still see the Hebrew letter in SMS without the bidi support, but yea, you don't have to tell me, reading Hebrew left to right isn't very convenient.

Anyway, there might be a possible solution for the SMS. All we need is an alternative SMS application with internal bidi support.

Currently i don't know about any, but just in case you find one, please let the other know, me included :)

Also, if you happen to know a worthy open source SMS app, adding minimal bidi support for it may not be as complicated as most may think.

I will search for an sms app as you said... and no, i can't read SMS's from left to right :).. i get lots of sms's and it's important for me to be able to respond fast.

What do you mean? first you flash rom then you install LENg.......

I did it so many times and every time it worked ok (exclude Syrus r0)
I saved the cab from the exe file so i don't have to enter the code every time its ready on my SD card,

so after HR i install it
then restart
then disable all settings in LENg
set regional setting to English - US
restart
delete registry in CLSID for the keyboard
delete registry "tegis" in hklm\software
restart
install resco
set resco default
install SIPchanger
restart
Thats it! i got hebrew with no annoying keyboard that pops up instead of other keyboards.

i did this many times as well, and as i see now it DOES work on the R8 rom... and obviously not on Syrius R0... but it still causes a few problems there. i wouldn't want to put money into PDAC or Eyron considering they cost a few more dubloons than i would like to invest in this ****.

unfortunatly R8 doesn't contain 3D drivers.... but i guess that when udK's syrius is complete it will be adaptable.

thank you

Last edited:

bnm7bnm

Mar 11, 2008
Radio

I use Radio 1.64.08.21 (in my signature..)

For me LENg always worked in r8.
I noticed r8+OMNIA drivers works about same speed as Syrus and Syrus doesn't have 3D driver it has 2D drivers
I test 3D speed in Virtual Pool Mobile and in 3D mines, there you can clearly see if its smooth or not so i noticed r8+omnia driver work same speed as r0
And you can see in Manila 2D its same speed so i don't know what the "3D" drivers good for...