[APP] DHD Proximity Sensor Recalibrator 1.10 (26-Sep-12)

Search This thread

leppie

Dec 21, 2008
Cape Town
hey

will this work on the T-Mobile G2 (Desire Z). If so I will be SOOO grateful to you and I probably will actually buy you a beer. My girlfriend and I both have G2's and the proximity sensor is the only problem with these phones.

Dave

It should work :)

Try it, if it does not work, just uninstall.

Leave me feedback, so I can inform DZ/G2 users.

Sniper33

May 16, 2006
Hi! thank you very much!

thanks to your program I was able to confirm my doubts about the Proximity Sensor on my HTC HD2 (runing on Android). Other applications will only show the values of sensors, but values of this sensor did not changed.

in my case, your program show the value NEAR and didn't change.
I suggested that the symptoms described above are caused by the fact that the proximity sensor is blocked by something.

I've tried to shake and knock on the rear part of a phone, next to the camera in front of the sensors and tried again to check it - and voila - the sensor working again!

but I do not understand - how can I save the settings for your program? or I can only monitor the current values? After rebooting the operating system and run the program again - the settings are still -1

leppie

Dec 21, 2008
Cape Town
Hi! thank you very much!
but I do not understand - how can I save the settings for your program? or I can only monitor the current values? After rebooting the operating system and run the program again - the settings are still -1

The values are set (and saved) in 'real-time'. Upon next boot, the saved values are applied automatically. You should see a Toast coming up.

bayerme

Jan 6, 2011
Thanks leppie, a beer already sent for the awesome work, don't get drunk :). Whenever I reboot the device settings are gone, then I need to recalibrate the sensor, am I missing a point?

Reactions: leppie

leppie

Dec 21, 2008
Cape Town
Thanks leppie, a beer already sent for the awesome work, don't get drunk :). Whenever I reboot the device settings are gone, then I need to recalibrate the sensor, am I missing a point?

It should be automatically applied on boot. You will get a toasty to say it was applied with the values you chose previously.

Some questions:

What phone/version/ROM?

Right after a reboot can you do: 'adb shell dmesg > k.log' and attach the log here so I can see if it got applied. Also note your preferred settings, so I can see if the real values got applied.

Thanks for the beer, gonna enjoy it in 15 minutes :)

bayerme

Jan 6, 2011
I think the problem was occurring because of radio version, I updated and now it works, no problem at all, thanks again for the effort

leppie

Dec 21, 2008
Cape Town
I think the problem was occurring because of radio version, I updated and now it works, no problem at all, thanks again for the effort

Nope. The calibration values are stored on the phone, not radio.

HTC has 'fixed' this in their kernels and given they finally released the source code to newer kernels, the workaround/fix is now available in custom kernels.

The HTC workaround is not so pretty though as it has to be generic and do a recalibration on the fly, so you can still use my app to prevent it from trying to work around the problem.

Ultraboss

Jul 22, 2008
Tours
It should be automatically applied on boot. You will get a toasty to say it was applied with the values you chose previously.

Some questions:

What phone/version/ROM?

Right after a reboot can you do: 'adb shell dmesg > k.log' and attach the log here so I can see if it got applied. Also note your preferred settings, so I can see if the real values got applied.

Thanks for the beer, gonna enjoy it in 15 minutes :)

Hi, thx for your app but I've the same issue, my settings reset at "-1", I don't see any toasty and the cmd 'adb shell dmesg > k.log' doesn't work...

Ultraboss

Jul 22, 2008
Tours
My phone is a HD2
I'm running the MCCM HD V4.0 [Desire HD] rom with gauner1986's kernel

And trying the adb cmd in Gscript says me "not found"

leppie

Dec 21, 2008
Cape Town
My phone is a HD2
I'm running the MCCM HD V4.0 [Desire HD] rom with gauner1986's kernel

And trying the adb cmd in Gscript says me "not found"

adb is part of the Android platform tools.

As for the other, I cant really help. I can (and will) only support hardware I have access to.

If you provide me a link to the source code and config file the 'gauner1986' kernel, I can perhaps look if it is compatible, but ultimately I will need to have an entire boot log from 'adb shell dmesg' to see what hardware is detected.

Sorry :(

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Due to many DHD's being incorrectly factory calibrated with regards to the proximity sensor, I wrote a little app to allow one to change the calibration on-the-fly and persist it over reboots.

This app is specifically for those experience issues with the proximity sensor.

Well known symptoms include the following:

- Screen fails to turn off when holding to face on a call
    - Screen does turn off when holding to face on a call, but fails to come back on, requiring taking out the battery

These problems are common in custom kernels/ROM's. HTC has addressed this issue however in their kernels from 1.32 onwards, but have failed to provide an acceptable solution for some.

I present DHD Proximity Sensor Recalibrator. Download from the attachments below.

Here are some screenshots:

attachment.php
    attachment.php

attachment.php

Usage:

1. Install app.
    2. Run app.
    3. Press the toggle button to start monitoring.
    4. Move your finger over the proximity sensor (the little LED next to the front facing speaker).
    5. Adjust the High and Low threshold values to your liking.

For those whose screen does not turn off, it probably means the factory values are set too high.

For those whose screen does not turn back on, it probably means the factory values are set too low.

The setting will be saved, and will be applied every time you reboot your phone. No need to go through any of the steps unless you want to change the calibration. When the settings are applied at boot time, you will get a toasty indicating the calibration value applied.

Possible calibration procedure:

1. Put both values high (will show FAR).
    2. Cover sensor with finger.
    3. Lower High threshold till it says NEAR.
    4. Lower Low threshold by a notch or 2.
    5. Test behavior

Removal:

If for whatever reason you find the application does not work, or you do not want it anymore, just uninstall the app, and reboot. Your original factory settings will be in effect again. This application does not modify your system. It might require root rights.

Source code repo:

https://github.com/leppie/DHD-Proximity-Sensor-Recalibrator

Known issues:

- Permissions have changed in CM7 RC2, preventing the application from working correctly. The application will need root. Will investigate how to add that, if needed.

- Some reports that the Gingerbread leaked ROM is not working.

Gingerbread/newer kernel update:

Due to changes in the source code made by HTC to overcome this issue in the kernel, this app will probably not run correctly.

There are 2 problems (as found from latest CM kernel source):

1. When the kernel recalibrates the proximity on the fly, it fails to update the internal structures in the kernel. This makes the kernel not report correct values. I have made a kernel patch to rectify the issue. Please ask your kernel developer to apply the following changes: https://github.com/leppie/htc-kernel-msm7x30/commit/b1d0a85f3fe5252c8ab43ba98261bcb1b8498d8a

2. Secondly and more seriously, depending on the initial calibrated value (if LT is greater or equal to 0x50), the kernel will kick off a polling thread. This will overwrite the changes made by this app, as soon as you use the proximity sensor for the first time (eg the phone). Afterwards you can apply the values from this app again, and from my experiments the value sticks then (up to the next reboot). Unfortunately, this polling mechanism fixes the issue for most users, so it cannot just be disabled. It is easy to disable in the kernel source however, but will probably break most other people's proximity behavior if they do not have this app installed. As you can see, there is not much I can do about this. The best option is to compile your own kernel.

Manual cleaning of the sensor:

After time the sensor will become dirty from the environment. See http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=28495941&postcount=357 for details on cleaning it.

Please report any bug and suggestions.

Cheers ;)

Revisions:

- Initial public release

- Replaced toggle button with normal one to resolve known issue

- Removed amount from Paypal, feel free to donate whatever you feel like. Beers are around US$2 here.

- Add some better handling when something goes not as planned (likely on non-DHD hardware).

- Added some alert dialogs to aid with the problems people are experiencing. (In case of error, please note both the title text, and the first few lines in the text of the alert dialog.)

- Only for CM7 users. Use nightly 92 or above. This includes the necessary kernel patch.
    - Should work on SENSE with custom kernel. Apply this patch (or ask your kernel 'builder' to do so).
    - Removed Beer button due to crappy paypal policy...

- Added support for calling 'su' when permissions are wrong. Thanks VampireWicked.

- Correct boot permissions for ICS

- Prevent app from being installed on SD card (which will cause issues) (thanks makarand14)

- Fix issues with sensor listener not getting disabled (thanks Roberto_Lim and Stoffl_)

- Fix issues with slow process manager in Android, notably in BlackOut ROM (thanks tonylee000 and others)

Supported kernels:

- CM7 nightly #92 or later
    - LorDModUE V2.6 or later
    I fixed it! I started having problems a while back. The screen didn't turn off when I was in a phone call. It got worse and worse until I had the settings down to 5/6.

The kernel I have is not fully supported, so after each reboot I had to start the program 2 times to get it to work.

I took the phone apart - How to here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Zc0k994Pl4

Do everything until 2:27. Clean the proximity sensor and the surrounding areas and put it back together. It works like new now :)

I also did the GPS fix by connecting a wire between the antenna contacts inside the LED cover. 10 satellites now!
    new version. ICS support.
    Sorry, it has nothing to do with your app. Its the fault of the kernel not supporting your app (which support should be built in - a no brainer).

ARHD 6.3.3 RCMix Kernel - Cannot write on autostart
    ARHD 6.3.3 Lord's Kernel - Works Great
    Virtuous Infinity - Cannot write on autostart
    Blackout ICS - Cannot write on autostart
    Ice Cold Sandwich - Works Great
    JellyTime - - Works Great

I can post a screenie... but its really a kernel issue.

It's not a kernel issue. It's a permissions issue. I had it working fine on blackout but had the cannot write problem. use root explorer to change the permissions for the file //sys/devices/virtual/optical_sensors/proximity/ps_kadc and tick all the read and write boxes.

Hope this helps.
    New version out. See OP.

There were 2 issues:

1. Big oopsie by me, I never fixed the permissions when applying values on a reboot. Thanks all for making this clear :D

2. The android process manager does seem to take a while to load so the broadcast receiver was timing out (10 second limit). Had to add a service now, that will deal with this delay, and quit when done.