Mod to remove Navigation Bar (navbar) on Droid Razr HD

Search This thread

zilian28

Apr 23, 2012
Goiânia
You can do the trick using two programs (they are paid and totally worth the money) + ROOT (rooting is very important for them to work). Of course you can try other programs. I´m not advertising. I´m just giving an idea.

Download 'GMD hide bar' to have control over the notification and status bar at your will. And also download 'Virtual Button Bar' to replace the notification bars.

When I want to read my ebooks or play some games I use these 2 programs and they always work pretty well.

Also, Virtual Button Bar has a really nice function that is: The button controls stay hidden on the position you want of the screen and then, if you just pass your finger in front of the light sensor (don´t even need to touch the screen), they appear.

Its really convenient and awesome!

Attachments

• Screenshot_2013-02-17-22-56-28.jpg
    Screenshot_2013-02-17-22-56-28.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 356
  • Screenshot_2013-02-17-22-56-58.jpg
    Screenshot_2013-02-17-22-56-58.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 326
  • Screenshot_2013-02-17-22-57-12.jpg
    Screenshot_2013-02-17-22-57-12.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 320
  • Screenshot_2013-02-17-22-58-52.jpg
    Screenshot_2013-02-17-22-58-52.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 321
Reactions: Youngunn2008

zooyork0721

Dec 10, 2012
New York
to remove the nav bar-

decompile either framework-res, or system.ui depends on your rom.

once decompiled go into Res->Values->dimens.xml

for the rom im on its line 14, 15, and 16. replace the x.x dips to 0.0dips to remove the navi bar completely.
save the .xml and then recompile framework-res or system.ui and replace your current one with the new apk

if your going to do this make sure your using lmt, or some type of other way to use home, and back, etc

the lines your changing should say
<dimen name="navigation_bar_height">0.0dip</dimen>
<dimen name="navigation_bar_height_landscape">0.0dip</dimen>
<dimen name="navigation_bar_width">0.0dip</dimen>

Last edited:
Reactions: Youngunn2008

progrockguy

Feb 9, 2013
Does the xml edit require a deodexed rom to work? Because I tried this on stock and the navbar is still there. Nothing changed.

zilian28

Apr 23, 2012
Goiânia
I discovered another Program

But you need ROOT. It´s called Full!screen (download in google play). It hides de notification bar and also provides small buttons in the corners of the screen. It´s very nice!

rockstarr001

Dec 8, 2012
Tried all of these (gmd/full!screen) only issue I have is that the notification shade is disabled when in use so I can't check why my phone is blinking until I disable it every time.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using xda app-developers app

Calvinx1

Jan 31, 2011
Fully functional JB 4.1.2 + Without NavBar

Get JB 4.1.2 from Telstra, look in Android development and flash it via RSD Lite, must be rooted and have alternative input method I use gmd gestures; Now use the buil.prop mod (qemu.hw.mainkeys=1) and U will have the status bar but not the navbar and no fc.

I have some issues with menu action (auto hiddes and must retry), solved with cm 10 instead of Telstra ROM, little more batt consumption and no blutooth music at the moment.

UPDATE: No need to use another ROM, In Telstra ROM go to config in Your phone, developer options, and check "Disable HW overlays", Ready!

You can use other ROM (4.1.2+) if U want, I like Telstra Rom cause it have good battery and all features in your cell phone works.

NO ISSUES AT THE MOMENT!

krucifix85

Mar 10, 2012
I've also used the above mod with no on the Telstra 4.1.2 ROM. As a nav bar replacement I've found an app called Taskarou, which puts a side of screen overlay for when you click in the area with a few nav bar options. Not a good explanation i know, but check the app out, it seems good so far!

http://img268.imageshack.us/img268/1209/screenshot2013030608345.png
I tried to use GMD but it didn't work got me in phone mode, it just wouldn't register my gestures...

Last edited:

progrockguy

Feb 9, 2013
Disabling hw overlays is not advisable due to the negative effects on memory usage. Google for more information.

StupidIdea

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jun 24, 2011
I developed this on Nexus but it would be cool if someone could test it on other devices. You can now hide soft keys (and keep notification bar) without modifications and reboots. Just try my new app:
GMD Hide Soft Keys
It also adds Quick NavBar - soft keys that can be opened with simple swipe from bottom and then autohide when not needed.

MnCC

May 13, 2010
Hi,

Found a workaround for stockrom 4.1.2 JB:

1. copy lmt.apk /system/app and set permissions 644
2. remove the /system/app/systemui.apk

Drawbacks:
1. No background picture
2. Recent Apps does not work.
3. No notifcation bar

But no force close, tested on Galaxy Tab 2.0 7" (GT-P3310)

So, its no ideal but working fine.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This issue has been important for me since I purchased my Verizon Droid Razr HD Maxx (consumer edition). I wanted to be able to remove the navbar on the bottom of the screen and take advantage of the full screen. Apparently AOKP roms have this capability and you can toggle via power button menu, but there is no AOKP version available for Razr HD. I tried all the mods I could find in the forums (generally written for Nexus phones/tablets). These are the following:

1. Adding the following line to build.prop: "qemu.hw.mainkeys=1" (without quotes). I tried this on the rooted stock JB rom and on Batakang rom. In both cases, the mod causes both navigation bar (bottom of screen) and status bar (top of screen) to disappear, with frequent UI crash messages.

2. Editing the framework-res\res\values\bools.xml and changing the value of ”config_showNavigationBar” from "true" to "false". This is discussed in detail in the following link: http://www.androidincanada.ca/news/make-your-galaxy-nexus-full-screen/ I did not try this mod on rooted stock JB (since I made a flashable zip out of my new framework-res.apk and safestrap won't allow zip installation in the stock slot). I tried this mod only on the Batakang rom. The mod causes both navigation bar (bottom of screen) and status bar (top of screen) to disappear, with frequent UI crash messages, similar to previous mod.

3. In retrospect, I wonder what would have happened if I tried both mods listed above at the same time. It may have worked. I may try this later. But then I installed CM10 beta rom by dhacker and tried the FullScreenToggleV2.apk mod provided in this link: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1497558 This worked like a charm, without any crashes or any disruption of the status bar. This apk inserts the "qemu.hw.mainkeys=1" line in your build.prop (the same as mod #1 listed above) but it's easier since you don't have to manually edit your build.prop. I tried this mod on rooted stock JB rom and Batakang rom, but it had the same (failed) results as in mod #1 above. So it only works for CM10 rom by dhacker on my XT926. I suspect it will also work in CM10 on XT925 (by epinter) but I don't have one to try.

Ideally there would be a mod that would work on the rooted stock JB rom. But short of that, at least it's reassuring that the Razr HD navbar can be removed in the CM10 rom. One could hope it may even be added as a CM10 feature later on ;)

*** Important Note: if you attempt this, obviously you would need another way to navigate through your screens. I use LMT listed under mod #3 link above. There are other options available also. Just make sure to install some app that provides an alternative method of navigation before you try the mod.

Good luck!
    can you tell me where the full screen toggle is?? I've been hunting for it forever. CM10.1 beta here also

It's an app

FullscreenToggle

Sent from my MotoAHD Maxx
    Remove NavBar But use Task Bar with no FC or issues.

This issue has been important for me since I purchased my Verizon Droid Razr HD Maxx (consumer edition). I wanted to be able to remove the navbar on the bottom of the screen and take advantage of the full screen. Apparently AOKP roms have this capability and you can toggle via power button menu, but there is no AOKP version available for Razr HD. I tried all the mods I could find in the forums (generally written for Nexus phones/tablets). These are the following:

1. Adding the following line to build.prop: "qemu.hw.mainkeys=1" (without quotes). I tried this on the rooted stock JB rom and on Batakang rom. In both cases, the mod causes both navigation bar (bottom of screen) and status bar (top of screen) to disappear, with frequent UI crash messages.

2. Editing the framework-res\res\values\bools.xml and changing the value of ”config_showNavigationBar” from "true" to "false". This is discussed in detail in the following link: http://www.androidincanada.ca/news/make-your-galaxy-nexus-full-screen/ I did not try this mod on rooted stock JB (since I made a flashable zip out of my new framework-res.apk and safestrap won't allow zip installation in the stock slot). I tried this mod only on the Batakang rom. The mod causes both navigation bar (bottom of screen) and status bar (top of screen) to disappear, with frequent UI crash messages, similar to previous mod.

3. In retrospect, I wonder what would have happened if I tried both mods listed above at the same time. It may have worked. I may try this later. But then I installed CM10 beta rom by dhacker and tried the FullScreenToggleV2.apk mod provided in this link: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1497558 This worked like a charm, without any crashes or any disruption of the status bar. This apk inserts the "qemu.hw.mainkeys=1" line in your build.prop (the same as mod #1 listed above) but it's easier since you don't have to manually edit your build.prop. I tried this mod on rooted stock JB rom and Batakang rom, but it had the same (failed) results as in mod #1 above. So it only works for CM10 rom by dhacker on my XT926. I suspect it will also work in CM10 on XT925 (by epinter) but I don't have one to try.

Ideally there would be a mod that would work on the rooted stock JB rom. But short of that, at least it's reassuring that the Razr HD navbar can be removed in the CM10 rom. One could hope it may even be added as a CM10 feature later on ;)

*** Important Note: if you attempt this, obviously you would need another way to navigate through your screens. I use LMT listed under mod #3 link above. There are other options available also. Just make sure to install some app that provides an alternative method of navigation before you try the mod.

Good luck!

Upgrade to JB there are option in the forum if not available with your carrier and use Option 1, Ready it works OK, I use Gmd Gesture Control Instead of NavBar; Enjoy!!
    BTW I use the FW from Canada and files to use it with telcel in Mexico, it works great, well menu appears and hide in some apps and you must try again but its usable.
    I'm using the fullscreen toggle right now and no force closes

Awesome thank you I will give it a shot when I upgrade to JB

Sent from my XT925
    You can do the trick using two programs (they are paid and totally worth the money) + ROOT (rooting is very important for them to work). Of course you can try other programs. I´m not advertising. I´m just giving an idea.

Download 'GMD hide bar' to have control over the notification and status bar at your will. And also download 'Virtual Button Bar' to replace the notification bars.

When I want to read my ebooks or play some games I use these 2 programs and they always work pretty well.

Also, Virtual Button Bar has a really nice function that is: The button controls stay hidden on the position you want of the screen and then, if you just pass your finger in front of the light sensor (don´t even need to touch the screen), they appear.

Its really convenient and awesome!