AT&T OTA update strips Universal Search feature

Search This thread

REDFOCZ

Oct 17, 2008
Orlando, Fl
Didn't want to put this in a development section since I am not a dev but wanted to share.

This morning I received an OTA updated on my I747, that Updated my kernel and Modem. I went from UCLEM to UCLG1

Here is what changed

Old Medem and Kernel
Screenshot_old.png

New kernel and Modem
Screenshot_2012-07-11-14-01-00.png

Last edited:

jbrook10

Jun 22, 2012
I installed and I only get Web results now.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using xda app-developers app

mobilehavoc

Mar 12, 2006
I installed and I only get Web results now.

Maybe I'm lucky I get Communication with Server failed when checking for update. Any other changes?

I'm assuming Kies should have this update too right?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

REDFOCZ

Oct 17, 2008
Orlando, Fl
Sorry I misunderstood the question, thought I was asked if I searched before posting the thread lol.

When I search on the device only pulls up web results no longer brings up device results.

br123

Sep 6, 2010
Yeah, that's what I thought. It's an update to address an lawsuit Apple brought against Samsung for unified search. Google removed on device search results, probably until a better solution is found. Really disappointing. I'm not updating for sure.

robstunner

May 13, 2010
Chicagoland
Mines downloading now. OTA Rootkeeper engaged. (stock rooted rom prior to update)

Screenshot_2012-07-11-13-30-10.png

(trying to flash a stock recovery, wont work with CWM btw)

Last edited:

RikF

Nov 4, 2007
Surely this is a class-action in the making? People purchase product with a specific feature set, feature is later removed. Now, it might be cheaper than fighting with Apple, or might be enforced by the courts, but it doesn't change the fact that something you paid for has been taken away.

Reactions: lawalty

the1stSecond

Jun 25, 2012
Yeah, that's what I thought. It's an update to address an lawsuit Apple brought against Samsung for unified search. Google removed on device search results, probably until a better solution is found. Really disappointing. I'm not updating for sure.

I could have sworn I read that it was only on the Nexus device relating to this.

Samsung's/ATT's getting ahead of the curve here or something?

robstunner

May 13, 2010
Chicagoland
OK,

Rooted, protected with OTA Rootkeeper, and flashed stock recovery. Got the update installed and OTA Rootkeeper restored root. Happyface.

(doesn't fix standby reporting bug)

Screenshot_2012-07-13-13-46-05.png

Screenshot_2012-07-13-13-45-49.png

Screenshot_2012-07-13-13-45-27.png

Last edited:
Reactions: zmore

the1stSecond

Jun 25, 2012
anyone that installed notice a difference in the baseband/radio? better/worse reception or data speeds?

I just got off of live chat with tech support. I had a good tech. He copied and pasted the OTA information he had internally.

Went something like this:

"Reason: Google Search Update"

And then the base band, how to tell customers how to perform the update, etc

Its a 10mb file.

So, pretty much it down grades the search function of Google Search.

Awesome...

robstunner

May 13, 2010
Chicagoland
I just got off of live chat with tech support. I had a good tech. He copied and pasted the OTA information he had internally.

Went something like this:

"Reason: Google Search Update"

And then the base band, how to tell customers how to perform the update, etc

Its a 10mb file.

So, pretty much it down grades the search function of Google Search.

Awesome...
10mb to remove a function? Can't just be that can it?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    CWM-flashable version of OTA leaving Universal Search

I put together a CWM-flashable version of the OTA that preserves root and doesn't remove Universal Search.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1768826
    Pulled from Sprint GS3 forum. Installed on my phone after update via Root Explorer. Backed up the non-universal search apk and Copy Pasted the universal search apk into /system/app and fixed permission, then a reboot. Works perfectly

Somebody could pull a copy of the apk from at&t GS3 version and post it here, but im guessing it's the same (Sprint version is 1.4.1.338691). Is it the same for AT&T? Forgot to check and do that myself.
    I looked through the thread an couldn't find an answer. I saw that you could maintain root; But I am not rooted now. If I update with the recent ota will I be able to root after that?

Yes, you are still able to root after the update. I rooted and installed aokp then Odin back to stock.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using xda premium
    Surely this is a class-action in the making? People purchase product with a specific feature set, feature is later removed. Now, it might be cheaper than fighting with Apple, or might be enforced by the courts, but it doesn't change the fact that something you paid for has been taken away.
    OK,

Rooted, protected with OTA Rootkeeper, and flashed stock recovery. Got the update installed and OTA Rootkeeper restored root. Happyface.

(doesn't fix standby reporting bug)

Screenshot_2012-07-13-13-46-05.png

Screenshot_2012-07-13-13-45-49.png

Screenshot_2012-07-13-13-45-27.png