No Chromecast button in NetFlix? Simple fix! [ROOT REQUIRED]

Search This thread
this worked perfectly, no root or other convoluted work needed, make sure netflix is up and running on "good" device, then on the device where it is not showing chromecast button, close netflix app, clear data (from application menu) for netflix app and re-open it, re login and it should work.
I'll have to try this, the build prop trick didn't work for me.

I don't know why Netflix can't get it together and produce an app that just works as advertised.....

EDIT: Figured out last night that the setting for 'Video Playback: WiFi Only' needed to be checked in order to get the Chromecast icon and selection up on the Netflix app. At least for me, anyway.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

alex753

Oct 13, 2014
simple solution

the same problem occured to me after renaming my chromecast device from chromecast+number to "chromecast": with this configuration I had to reset my wlan - router to reenable the chromecast icon in netflix and co. after renaming chromecast back to chromcast+randomNubmer everything wored fine for me.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    So certain Android devices are getting pushed this older, tackier and less functional version of NetFlix.

I have a Droid Bionic and a Nexus 4 and some cheap Kyocera running ICS.

The Nexus 4 and cheap Kyocera had the latest NetFlix version with Chromecast capability, yet the Droid Bionic did not.

After reading this from another user, I thought of a simple workaround for this.
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2380956

Seems Netflix pushes out an older version of Netflix for some reason to certain devices without Chromecast, even though they are capable of using it.

To fix this simply edit two lines in build prop.

1.) Download Build.Prop editor from Google Play
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.jrummy.apps.build.prop.editor

2.) Give it root permissions if asked.

3.) Open the app and swipe from the left and click on "create backup:" This is just in case you mess it up, you can restore it later or if Netflix pushes out an update that fixes your device.

4.) Either scroll around until you find these two entries, or simply use the search button in the app.

Code:
    ro.product.model
    ro.product.manufacturer

I just changed it to a Nexus S. You can change the values to some other device if you know your way around build.prop, otherwsie just use the values I have provided.

So for sake of simplicity, I changed

ro.product.model to Nexus S

and

ro.product.manufacturer to samsung

Tap save on both entries and reboot! That's it!

Before
    EOcf55J.png

AFTER
    RZ1ORbH.png

If for any reason this causes any issues with your other apps, simply restore the build.prop you backed up earlier in build prop editor, and reboot. That's it!
    Not working for me.

Details:

ATT HTC One X
    ROM: Cm 10.1 (4.2.2) nightlies

So certain Android devices are getting pushed this older, tackier and less functional version of NetFlix.

The Nexus 4 and cheap Kyocera had the latest NetFlix version with Chromecast capability, yet the Droid Bionic did not.

After reading this from another user, I thought of a simple workaround for this.

Seems Netflix pushes out an older version of Netflix for some reason to certain devices without Chromecast, even though they are capable of using it.

3.) Open the app and swipe from the left and click on "create backup:" This is just in case you mess it up, you can restore it later or if Netflix pushes out an update that fixes your device.

4.) Either scroll around until you find these two entries, or simply use the search button in the app.

Code:
    ro.product.model
    ro.product.manufacturer

I just changed it to a Nexus S. You can change the values to some other device if you know your way around build.prop, otherwsie just use the values I have provided.

and

Before
    EOcf55J.png

AFTER
    RZ1ORbH.png

If for any reason this causes any issues with your other apps, simply restore the build.prop you backed up earlier in build prop editor, and reboot. That's it!
    I'll I had to do was start Netflix from another device and open the Netflix app on the device in question. Automatically updated itself, no root , no build prop edit and no installing a new Netflix app

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda premium

Code:
    ro.product.model
    ro.product.manufacturer

and

Before
    EOcf55J.png

AFTER
    RZ1ORbH.png

Is it really this complicated?

My netflix didn't have the cast icon, and it says it's fully updated. I uninstalled, reinstalled and still didn't get it. So I uninstalled and re-installed again, but this time, I opened the chromecast set-up app and use their netflix link. Which basically takes you back to the playstore again, but for some reason, this works. I then get the cast icon.
    I'll I had to do was start Netflix from another device and open the Netflix app on the device in question. Automatically updated itself, no root , no build prop edit and no installing a new Netflix app

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda premium

this worked perfectly, no root or other convoluted work needed, make sure netflix is up and running on "good" device, then on the device where it is not showing chromecast button, close netflix app, clear data (from application menu) for netflix app and re-open it, re login and it should work.