MortButtons 2.5

Search This thread

Mort

Dec 7, 2004
near Stuttgart
www.sto-helit.de
Strange... If at all, this should only happen for subdirectories of \Windows\Start menu. It was meant as workaround to get the "Settings" folder in the start menu to work properly. Since there's no way to get the name of that folder, I assumed that any subdirectory of the start menu that isn't "Programs" (or localization) or a subfolder of it is the Settings folder. I'll look into it later this week (probably thursday).

Something completely different:
Attached is an updated manual. Please check if there's anything wrong, missing, or could be explained better (please with example, I'm also not 100% happy with all of it, but couldn't find better words...).

Attachments

• MortButtons-Manual.zip
    667.1 KB · Views: 63

Puckmeister

Aug 16, 2007
Cologne
i get the same issues, i thought i did something wrong cause right before installing i did a hard reset. switched back to version 17 and everything is fine again

Noonski

Inactive Recognized Developer / Moderator Emeritus
Apr 18, 2005
Amsterdam
noonski.nl
Well it Took me a while.

But finally had the time to test it.

Ehn i edit the .mbi files in Note pad. (even renaming to .txt first)

I always need to take out the first two bytes of the file in a hex editor so it shows up correctly.

Is this default behavior or do you have another tip on editing the MBI files directly on the PC?

havocnl

Sep 29, 2007
Tilburg
www.twitter.com
Well it Took me a while.

But finally had the time to test it.

Ehn i edit the .mbi files in Note pad. (even renaming to .txt first)

I always need to take out the first two bytes of the file in a hex editor so it shows up correctly.

Is this default behavior or do you have another tip on editing the MBI files directly on the PC?

Try opening them in a more advanced text editor like Notepad++
The first two bytes are header bytes of the file, which indicates a slightly different structure (for the header) then normal text. Notepad doesn't understand it, but more advanced notepad-like-apps will. Notepad++ is my favorite ;)

xan

Retired Recognized Developer
May 21, 2006
Crack-ow
I'm glad to see Mort posting here, I just love his player :)
Appreciate your work, wont hestiate to check the buttons out.

Mort

Dec 7, 2004
near Stuttgart
www.sto-helit.de
The first two bytes are header bytes of the file, which indicates a slightly different structure (for the header) then normal text.
Those first two bytes are inserted by many editors (afaik including Notepad++) to indicate Unicode files. (They're called BOM, Byte-order mark, by the way...)
MortButtons simply writes the data as strings as they're in memory in Windows Mobile, i.e. Unicode without BOM. So if the editor inserts it, it must be removed. Since the .mbi files usually aren't edited manually, I didn't care to support other formats, like Unicode with BOM or UTF8 (with or without BOM). (Opposed to e.g. translation files, where the BOM is supported since 2.5 iirc.)

Mort

Dec 7, 2004
near Stuttgart
www.sto-helit.de
Sorry for being such a noob to this, but where do I place the .mbi file?
If you don't know, usually you shouldn't do anything with them... ;-)
They're located in MortButtons' main directory (\Program files\MortButtons or similar) for the main menus, and in "Submenus" folder for added menus.
But you really should only modify them directly when you know what you're doing and there's no better way for it...

gerald_s

Mar 20, 2007
Graz
And with a lot more features:

V2.6

Support of contacts (incl. contact images)
Faster transitions
More settings for individual menus
Better support of user added menus
Several minor improvements and bugfixes
Simple Today plugin

Thank you so much for all your efforts, Mort.

tmz

Feb 2, 2008
Mort, I love your app so much it rocks.. I have a skin question, Can I skin the launch buttons ? The 1,2,3,4,5, and so on. Thanks. If so what size . And I use 2.5

Thanks so much for a great app.

Attachments

• Screen01.png
    Screen01.png
    9.6 KB · Views: 79

Mort

Dec 7, 2004
near Stuttgart
www.sto-helit.de
Can I skin the launch buttons ?
No, you can't skin Windows' program manager, pardon, "Programs menu"... ;)

In V2.6, you can set alternative names and icons for the main menus. If an alternative name is given, a corresponding link is created in the MortButtons start menu folder. If the icon is from a DLL or EXE, it's also used for that link - other icons (incl. ".ico") aren't supported by Windows Mobile, so there's no way to support them there... However, the icons (and names) will be used for menu refrences in MortButtons.
Hope that helps a bit...

dingolino

Jan 2, 2008
Running Tasks - Laufende Programme

Hi,

on my Xperia X1 with Mort button 2.6 I have a strange effect on the "running Task" - "Laufende Programme" with the Button for

"Programm beenden" - "Close Program"

Allthough I have marked this button as visible in settings, it is not shown on the screen at all.

The button "closing all Programs" is shown if I mark it in settings as well as the other one "close all but active".

Any idea?

I did allready a reinstall with delete of my settings, but no change.

dingolino

Mort

Dec 7, 2004
near Stuttgart
www.sto-helit.de
Allthough I have marked this button as visible in settings, it is not shown on the screen at all.
Maybe you activated MortButtons from a program that can't be closed, like the Today screen or the "Programs"/"Programme" folders (WM crashes if it's tried to close those windows). Or your device delivers the running processes in the wrong order, so MortButtons can't find out which was the previously running.

@flaviopac: Shortly before I write that post, so somewhere in the middle of November.

dingolino

Jan 2, 2008
edit: ok, if I start Mort Button via the today plugin (also on the X1 from 2nd today) the button is there and once I have done this and start it via the hardwarebutton (mapped from AE Button Plus) it is still there. Will see after a softreset what is going on

I have to check this.

On the Xperia I am starting MortButton over a redefined button (AE Button Plus).

On my Kaiser I am starting MortButton from the today plugin which is running in 2ndtoday and here I have all the buttons.

Will double check on the X1

dingolino

Maybe you activated MortButtons from a program that can't be closed, like the Today screen or the "Programs"/"Programme" folders (WM crashes if it's tried to close those windows). Or your device delivers the running processes in the wrong order, so MortButtons can't find out which was the previously running.

@flaviopac: Shortly before I write that post, so somewhere in the middle of November.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I know this thread is pretty old and probably also already dead, but i am in desperate search of a mortbutton exe file. Any Version is welcome - of course newest one mostly.
    Any chance to get it here @ xda?
    I found already a cab file but i cant use it in my cars navigation system windows mobile. I need only the executable...:(

As MortButtons is freeware and developers website is offline i assume its ok to add the files here for your convinience.

You can find here for download:

- Mortbuttons 2.62.cab
    - MortButtons 2.62 Manual PDF
    - Manual/HowTo create MortButtons 2.6 Skins PDF

If you liked the download: clicking on the thankyou-button wont harm you and makes my day happier. :)

best regards,
    B