[APP] Msm7kCpuSpeed - Overclock Raphael/Diamond/Topaz/Rhodium/Blackstone/Whitestone

Search This thread

BoominSVX

Jan 8, 2010
That actually is possible. Or you could just put a sleep() in at the beggining of the script for a minute or a runwait () and have it wait until a window loads before continuing,

Thats about where I'm at right now, but even doing it this way does not allow running haret from the phone without a reboot using scripts. Using setcpuspeed, we could run a script to kill its process upon opening of gen.y dualboot using active window, but this creates a script AND 2 exe files to do things this way, not to mention more polling. Unfortunately, killing the script does not revert the device back to 528mhz. As I recall, killing setcpuspeed does. Sleep () would get it booting via gen.y at startup, but eventually it will be an issue. For now, an 11 second timout on the wait command SHOULD allow selection of an OS to autoload (or 4 if you have fast boot on). Waitforactive () would allow the script to run only after you selected windows mobile and booted, but I'm not sure how I can find the window name that activates following the selection of WM. I knew nothing about mortscript 30 minutes ago, so please be gentle if I'm off the road a bit over here. Just trying to think publicly and hope for posibilities like you just presented.

oruam57

Aug 27, 2005
As of now if I'm not mistaken, there is no way to hold the phone at 528 for the first 1 or 2 minutes. Am I wrong?

It must be that English is not my mother tongue: I said that SetCpuSpeed is COMPLETELY INACTIVE for BootTime milliseconds after reset so the clock remains the same it is at reset, that is 528 Mhz.

chanvi93

Jan 7, 2008

Dreamcatch

Nov 30, 2007
Sion
My Blackstone speed is depending on ROM and UI version

clean BlackStonehenge 2.2 Manila 2.5 runs stable at 710MHz
the same ROM with MaxManila or CHT tolerate 652MHz
BlackStonehenge 2.2 MaxSense - only 633MHz

weather animation on during start of msm7kcpu makes crashes at high speed.

Have you been able to overclock your Blackstone withtout A/C and without running GPS in the background. If so, please tell me how. My Blackstone (with latest NRG Cookie ROM) is constantly freezing...:-(

misiekthcteam

Aug 3, 2009
Olsztyn
My Blackstone speed is depending on ROM and UI version

clean BlackStonehenge 2.2 Manila 2.5 runs stable at 710MHz
the same ROM with MaxManila or CHT tolerate 652MHz
BlackStonehenge 2.2 MaxSense - only 633MHz

weather animation on during start of msm7kcpu makes crashes at high speed.

I noticed the same thing. I remember if i use stock rom and nueoverclock then phone work on 768MHz. But now on sxgu series rom i have max 691MHz
(sory for my english)

Have you been able to overclock your Blackstone withtout A/C and without running GPS in the background. If so, please tell me how. My Blackstone (with latest NRG Cookie ROM) is constantly freezing...:-(

http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=7498760&postcount=1191

these settings have also been working with my touch pro.
although I have an issue that hasnt been listed here.
Using setcpuspeed and netrippers program for checking speeds.
The phone app will freeze while overclocked. Its not a sleeping issue (registry set to 0 for phone sleep). It seems to be a msm7kcpuspeed issue. If Im running just setcpuspeed, the phone app will freeze, cant hang up the call, or anything else, but the call is still going through.

If I have netrippers app running, I will get an error about not being able to calculate cpu speed.
These problems with the phone app happen no matter what speed Im set at (setting performance and standyby speed to 528 causes the same issue). If Im not running either netrippers or setcpuspeed, the phone calls operate normally.

nayr1482

Dec 2, 2009
Thats about where I'm at right now, but even doing it this way does not allow running haret from the phone without a reboot using scripts. Using setcpuspeed, we could run a script to kill its process upon opening of gen.y dualboot using active window, but this creates a script AND 2 exe files to do things this way, not to mention more polling. Unfortunately, killing the script does not revert the device back to 528mhz. As I recall, killing setcpuspeed does. Sleep () would get it booting via gen.y at startup, but eventually it will be an issue. For now, an 11 second timout on the wait command SHOULD allow selection of an OS to autoload (or 4 if you have fast boot on). Waitforactive () would allow the script to run only after you selected windows mobile and booted, but I'm not sure how I can find the window name that activates following the selection of WM. I knew nothing about mortscript 30 minutes ago, so please be gentle if I'm off the road a bit over here. Just trying to think publicly and hope for posibilities like you just presented.

Couple things...

1) You do know that you can PROPERLY exit SetCpuSpeed by changing the registry key HKLM\SOFTWARE\Msm7kCpuSpeed\Command from 0 to 2 right? (SetCpuSpeed will set the phone to your ScreenOffPerformanceLevel, reset command to 0, and exit)

2) Once SetCpuSpeed has loaded, you will NOT be able to get back to 528mhz, it utilizes Netripper's dll which does not contain 528 (at least as far as i can tell)

3) Why not use the boot parameter as Ouram designed so SetCpuSpeed does not load for a minute or two??? That would allow you to get into windows, kill SetCpuSpeed, and then run haret...
To use the boot parameter, your Shortcut to SetCpuSpeed should read something like...
"\Storage Card\Program Files\SetCpuSpeed\SetCpuSpeed.exe" /boot

Then set HKLM\SOFTWARE\Msm7kCpuSpeed\BootTime to however many milliseconds you want to wait to clock your Cpu up. 120000 would give you 2 minutes for windows to load, for you to load a task manager, and kill the app.

4) Other thing that could be done I guess, is we could create a simple GUI to put into Windows/Startup instead of SetCpuSpeed. The GUI would give you the option of loading Haret or staying in windows and running SetCpuSpeed.

I dont run Haret but am willing to create the GUI if someone helps me with some of the Haret details...

chanvi93

Jan 7, 2008
OK thanks buru898i solved this problem by adding xdaShutdown soft and associated it to longpress on/off key mapping.

Hello buru898
I found this:
Just add a command line in 2nd line of your under.mscr file:
RUN ("\Program Files\Msm7kCpuSpeed\Msm7kAutoCpuSpeed.exe")
And i don't need S2U2 to set my prefered frequency lol.

buru898

Hello buru898
I found this:
Just add a command line in 2nd line of your under.mscr file:
RUN ("\Program Files\Msm7kCpuSpeed\Msm7kAutoCpuSpeed.exe")
And i don't need S2U2 to set my prefered frequency lol.

Ah lol that would be for auto scaling it back up :eek:, the script auto clocks it down before sleep to prevent SoD.

Oh and I use Quick Shutdown as long press power button, it's super fast! Just came out today or yesterday I believe (advertised on the xda main portal lol) so give that a try ;p, it resets, turns off, and sleeps (which I believe just turns the screen off though).

BoominSVX

Jan 8, 2010
Couple things...

1) You do know that you can PROPERLY exit SetCpuSpeed by changing the registry key HKLM\SOFTWARE\Msm7kCpuSpeed\Command from 0 to 2 right? (SetCpuSpeed will set the phone to your ScreenOffPerformanceLevel, reset command to 0, and exit)

I dont run Haret but am willing to create the GUI if someone helps me with some of the Haret details...

Setting up Gen.Y Dualboot to function properly on startup using setcpuspeed program for overclocking:

So I ended up getting it working last night. I guess I'll do a quick write up for anyone else looking into this. Gen.Y Dualboot will be telling you that Android is missing. I used the Blazin .ZIP file, but it should be the same for the .CAB file as long as it's a froyo build. Also, setting the phone up to allow time for dualboot to work.

I'M STILL WORKING ON BOOTING FROM WINDOWS MOBILE. This guide is only for Gen.Y running after a restart to boot into Android.

1. You should already have msm7kcpuspeed on your device, but for this to work, you MUST have setcpuspeed installed. If this program causes an S.O.D. after or during a phone call, use a registry editor to change "HCKU/Control Panel/Phone/Sleep" to 0. This should solve your sleep issues.

2. Install android to your Sd card if you haven't already, and Gen.Y Dualboot (Gen.Y DualBOOT WVGA v 1.0.6.0 - Storage Card) to your device.

3. Using the registry editor, navigate to HKLM\Software\Msm7kcpuspeed and under SetCpuSpeed the key you will see BootTime (how much time before SetCpuSpeed waits until Overclocking IF you are using the /boot parameter).. Here you can also set your boot options but the default speed should be fine.

4. While still in the registry editor, Navigate to HK CURRENT USER\Software\Gen.Y\DualBOOT and edit the data field of AndroidBootFolder to "\andboot\" without the quotes. This will allow Gen.Y to see you're android OS. (Note: If it still doesn't see it, you may need to use "\android\" instead. This is the folder on the root of your storage card that contains haret.exe.

5. Using total commander, navigate to your windows startup folder and HOLD PRESS setcpuspeed.ink. The intent is to rename it "Setcpuspeed.ink \boot" without quotes. When you press out of the keyboard /boot should disappear with no errors.

I would recommend after the press and hold to click Properties, then select the 'Shortcut' tab at the top. Then in the Target line add the /boot (spec before the backslash) to the end of the target entry...
Not saying your above way wont work...

6. Restart the phone. Do not try to run Haret yet or it will crash the phone and you'll have to make changes to the registry again. Just restart it and let Dualboot load. Remember, you're on a timeout so don't let it sit to long or the OC program will start and your phone will need to be restarted. If you need more time, increase Safe Mode Duration from step 3. (This is measured in ms, IE: 60000=1 minute)

Let me know if I missed anything or anyone has questions.

Last edited:

eXceed

May 13, 2008
Stamford
Where are version numbers for setcpuspeed coming from? Everyone I've got soo far is called 1.0 and there doesn't seem to be any coherent location where it is updated

nayr1482

Dec 2, 2009
So I ended up getting it working last night. I guess I'll do a quick write up for anyone else looking into this. Gen.Y Dualboot will be telling you that Android is missing. I used the Blazin .ZIP file, but it should be the same for the .CAB file as long as it's a froyo build. Also, setting the phone up to allow time for dualboot to work.

I'M STILL WORKING ON BOOTING FROM WINDOWS MOBILE. This guide is only for Gen.Y running after a restart to boot into Android.

1. You should already have msm7kcpuspeed on your device, but for this to work, you MUST have setcpuspeed installed. If this program causes an S.O.D. after or during a phone call, use a registry editor to change "HCKU/Control Panel/Phone/Sleep" to 0. This should solve your sleep issues.

2. Install android to your Sd card if you haven't already, and Gen.Y Dualboot (Gen.Y DualBOOT WVGA v 1.0.6.0 - Storage Card) to your device.

3. Using the registry editor, navigate to HKLM\Software\Msm7kcpuspeed and change safe_mode to 1. Here you can also set your boot options and increase your safe mode duration but the default speed should be fine.

4. While still in the registry editor, Navigate to HK CURRENT USER\Software\Gen.Y\DualBOOT and edit the data field of AndroidBootFolder to "\andboot\" without the quotes. This will allow Gen.Y to see you're android OS. (Note: If it still doesn't see it, you may need to use "\android\" instead. This is the folder on the root of your storage card that contains haret.exe.

5. Using total commander, navigate to your windows startup folder and HOLD PRESS setcpuspeed.ink. The intent is to rename it "Setcpuspeed.ink \boot" without quotes. When you press out of the keyboard /boot should disappear with no errors.

6. Restart the phone. Do not try to run Haret yet or it will crash the phone and you'll have to make changes to the registry again. Just restart it and let Dualboot load. Remember, you're on a timeout so don't let it sit to long or the OC program will start and your phone will need to be restarted. If you need more time, increase Safe Mode Duration from step 3. (This is measured in ms, IE: 60000=1 minute)

Let me know if I missed anything or anyone has questions.

rather than re-type everything from ppc...here is what i posted there:

3. Using the registry editor, navigate to HKLM\Software\Msm7kcpuspeed and change safe_mode to 1. Here you can also set your boot options and increase your safe mode duration but the default speed should be fine.

safe_mode is part of OC_Auto, has nothing to do with SetCpuSpeed.
for SetCpuSpeed the key you probably want is BootTime (how much time before SetCpuSpeed waits until Overclocking IF you are using the /boot parameter).

I would recommend after the press and hold to click Properties, then select the 'Shortcut' tab at the top. Then in the Target line add the /boot (spec before the backslash) to the end of the target entry...

Again, the key you want to be editing is BootTime.

Nice work though - I am sure many will appreciate this!

For those of you using the Script - the same thing SHOULD (someone will have to test - i dont run andriod on my tp2) work...just use the GUI to set your safe mode to on, and set your safe mode duration to a long value.

Aug 16, 2009
Portland, OR
for SetCpuSpeed the key you probably want is BootTime (how much time before SetCpuSpeed waits until Overclocking IF you are using the /boot parameter).

I might not be remembering correctly, but I *think* what he calls 'safe mode' is different than what you've coded into OC_Auto. I believe his is a timeout, or delay, before applying OC speeds, compared to yours, which is an auto-down-clock based on detection of freeze on last boot/OC cycle.

Last edited:

nayr1482

Dec 2, 2009
I could have misread the posts pertaining to this, but I *think* what he calls 'safe mode' is different than what you've coded into OC_Auto. I believe his is a timeout, or delay, before applying OC speeds, compared to yours, which is an auto-down-clock based on detection of freeze on last boot/OC cycle. I could be misreading/misremembering, though.

he said browse to HKLM\SOFTWARE\Msm7kCpuSpeed\safe_mode
this is a key i created for the OC_Auto scripts...

Like I said - he is instructing you to use the /boot parameter of SetCpuSpeed, which utilizes the key BootTime :)

cmd512

Aug 25, 2009
Shanghai

+1, BootTime is a must. Older Rhodium EnergyROMs that I used previously would boot up fine without it, but the latest version (in my sig) would freeze randomly during boot. Adding a BootTime of 120000 (2 minutes) remedied this completely, so I will be using this in my "registry merge" file for all future ROM flashes.

Also, no phone freezes after setting the Phone sleep to 0. In fact, 0 SODs with SetCpuSpeed since then!

nayr1482

Dec 2, 2009
OC_Auto4.2

Here is OC_Auto4.2

Only addition from 4.1 is STOCKSPEED (528mhz) as a SAFE MODE speed option.

This should (I cant test it as i dont run haret) allow you Android users to boot into windows at 528, then run haret before you the OC kicks in.

Lemme know....

As always...
1) Need Netripper's v2 OC application installed in the DEFAULT location (on device)
2) Need MortScript installed
3) Place files from attached zip in the root of your storage card
4) Create shortcut to OC_Auto4.2.mscr in your /windows/startup folder
5) *Optional, if you want the GUI to show up in your programs list create a shortcut to OC_Auto4.2_GUI.mscr in your /windows/start menu folder
6) Run the GUI, pick your settings.

EDIT: Added Cab'ed version. Install to your Storage Card. Puts scripts files on storage card, creates shortcut to script in your windows/startup folder, creates shortcut to the GUI in your Programs list.

EDIT2: Added v4.21 - this is for those of you that think you can OC past where the script GUI went to. This version (only change) adds options up to 902mhz.

Attachments

• OC_Auto4.2_GUI.zip
    2.6 KB · Views: 87
Last edited:

BoominSVX

Jan 8, 2010
It's a beautiful thing. 1 night of fine tuning and we've got 2 versions of getting andriod back the easy way. Now all we have to do is get it to underclock to 528 when activewindow=haret (or any program in the whitelist) and the OC will run perfectly with almost anything. Nayr, thanks for the insight. :D

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Excellent App!

Reporting with a Tilt 2 and i put it to 787mhz(because im crazy like that) and i can confirm it doesnt hang, even when i unplugged it, it doesnt hang at all :eek: i even turn the phone on stand by for a couple of seconds and its still sits at 787, now if i leave it on standby for a minute i get this "Unexpected Error"

Reporting in with a HTC Fuze, set it on 768 and it hangs LOL, but anything lower than 768 it runs stable when plugged in, but if i unplug it, it crashes!

but im glad to see the progress of this app, hopefully heat issue and the app running on permanent battery power will be almost done because this is an awesome app, im planning to review this app on youtube, if you dont mind! thanks again! :D
    After LeoCpuSpeed to overclock the HD2, I've been working on overclocking the MSM7k SoC on the Raphael, with success. The same processor is present on the Diamond, Rhodium and the Topaz, so it should work on all of these devices. I've been able to underclock to 57MHz and overclock up to 710MHz, using small 19.2MHz steps. It can clock even further, but it depends on the quality of the processor in your device where the limit for you lies.

Supported devices
    - Raphael
    - Diamond
    - Rhodium (check out this post for a nice guide and this app by oruam57 to prevent SOD)
    - Topaz
    - Blackstone
    - Whitestone
    - More?

Features
    - The CPU speed is calculated from the actual clock registers, not via some dll or shady method.
    - CPU speed is updated every 250ms (I haven't seen it auto-scale to other frequencies yet, but kept this feature from LeoCpuSpeed).
    - A small dot blinks on each update so that you can see if your device hangs or not.
    - Under- or overclock by moving the slider
    - Automatically apply setting at boot

- While waiting for version 3 of this app, oruam57 made a little app that automatically scales down when the screen is off and overclocks again when exiting standby, effectively preventing SOD.

Notes on overclocking
    1) AT YOUR OWN RISK
    2) Only works while connected to AC power (depending on device)
    3) The "604MHz" OC frequency is a special one. Only with this frequency set, you can remove AC power without having a lockup. So: after you overclock and want to remove your USB cable, set it to 604MHz first! You'll see it go back to the default 528MHz a second after you remove the cable. That's something the device does, not my app.
    4) Overclocking while on battery gives insta-hang (for me). It seems this depends on the device.
    5) Use "Apply at boot" wisely! If you use a setting that is unstable, your device may not boot up anymore! You'd need a hard-reset (factory settings).

When using TCPMP to benchmark the overclock, be aware that this tool overclocks the CPU, not the GPU.

Battery
    I have not done any tests regarding battery life. The voltage to the processor is the same as when it is on 528MHz. It seems it cannot be increased. However, more speed will result in more heat, which means energy from your battery. :)
    (And before you ask, I haven't performed any temperature tests either).

Screenshots
    v1_ss1.png
    v1_ss2.png

Versions
    v2
    - Enabled apply at boot option (Choose wisely, if your device hangs on boot, you'll need a hard reset)
    - Fix app crash (trackbar exception) when going into standby
    - Increased max freq to 902.4MHz for those fortunate enough
    - SoD/hang on battery/etc not fixed yet

v1
    - Initial release

Known issues
    Q: My device hangs when unplugging from AC power
    A: Read the overclock notes.

Q: When on battery and I press the "604MHz" button, it shows 604MHz for a brief second, and then goes back to "528MHz".
    A: Some driver, module, or whatever in Windows Mobile enforces CPU speed every second, overriding the overclock. This is a known issue.

Q: My device hangs after standby (Sleep Of Death)
    A: This is a known problem. Until fixed, only solution is to clock to "604" (the special frequency) before putting your phone away.

Q: Msm7kCpuSpeed crashes. When it does, and I click "details", it says something about System.Windows.Forms.Trackbar.set_Value.
    A: This is a known problem. The app calculates frequency every 250ms. When the device goes into standby, there's a small window where the CPU is set to 19.2MHz, but my app isn't put to sleep by Windows Mobile yet. When in this small window, it calculates the frequency and updates the app, it crashes. This is because the lowest frequency in my app is 57.6MHz, and it can't find 19.2MHz (or 38MHz). Fixed in v2.

Credits
    Thanks to phhusson and bzo for their overclock in the Linux kernel for MSM7k devices, where I could lend some code from.
    And thanks to BASSMANBOB for letting me know such a tool is in demand.

Download
    v2 HERE
    v1 HERE
    I have been able to go through the entire weekend without a single SOD! The device auto clocks when I unlock and underclocks when I hit the power button. I am a happy camper!

Which scripts are you using ? Is there anyway for someone to cab the scripts up ? I'm a bit of a noob and don't want to screw anything up ( I know chickens@#t ) .
    I just wrote some logic at the beginning of the GUI script to copy it over if it isn't there, but I guess I'll go ahead and CAB the DLL in. It will run fine without Netripper's CAB, it's just a standalone library that oruam is dynamically linking to...I guess it kind of makes sense for it to be bundled since if the DLL changes then oruams app may need edits too, so providing a version of the DLL that is known to work seems to be a good option.

Thanks for the input. :)
    Superb Need Advice

Hello guys I need some advice what i can do:)

1st this Tools is awesome i Overclock my Blackstone at may diferent speeds and i enjoy Level 37 witch is 710.4 Mhz on this Level i see alot of improvements the device run super fast and smooth and i dont have any problem with the device NO freeze or anything im making calls without problem But randomly sometimes i see that the device TURN OFF by itself or Freeze... and this problem is randomly because sometimes i use 7 days without a Problem and sometime just freeze so ths heppand not only on level 37 this heppand on all levels.. under 37 witch mean is not due to alot overclocking etc..
    I think is related to SetCPUspeed somehow..

So what i can do to get work this even better?!

I think because i install SetCPUspeed to my SD Card can cause the problem because the scrip is running from my SD so in some cases if my SD is too slow or anything this can cause crash problem. I think will be better if all is instaled on the Phone Memory but im not very sure because if crash again and im not able to Start it i just cant remove my SD and to fix the problem because once when this is installed on the Main Memory just will need Hard Reset so my question is do anyone can advice me something!!!

Here is what i install and what settings i Do

1st i Install Msm7kCpuSpeed_v2 to Device Memory
    2nd Installing SetCpuSpeed-1.0d to my SD card
    After this Soft reset the device and remove the SD card
    After the the Device is loaded im going to my regs and i set this

BootTime = 200000
    ChekTime = 20
    PerformanceLevel = 37
    ScreenOffPerformanceLevel = 27
    SettlingTime = 10

And puting back my SD andSoft Reset

After the Soft Reset im waiting carefull the whole device to Load Manila and all other stufs and i put it on sleep for over 30 seconds then i wake it up and turn WiFi ON and do not touch it for some time then for example after a minute when the device is already Overclocked and fully loaded i Turn Off the Wifi and thats it...

Note this steps with the Wi FI i read somehwere is better to do it like this. befor i do the Overclock without the WiFi trick andhave the same result..

My Question is can i improve something the device to not turn off by itself when he want... because its really random problem not all the time witch meanthe Device CAN RUN REALLY at Level 37 with no problem but sometimes something causing problems!

Thans in advance