[Q] problems with my tab 3 sm T217A

Search This thread

aahfra

Feb 22, 2014
hi evry boddy

i have a new galaxy tab 3 t217a with at*t app

so when i put my sim from moroco ther is no dialer or sms

and my question is how can i call with this ? device it's possible or not ? if yes how make it active

plz don't say me drop it in the sea as som developers in an other forum thnx and have a nice day

cstayton

Inactive Recognized Developer
Mar 5, 2011
Waite Park, MN.
hi evry boddy

i have a new galaxy tab 3 t217a with at*t app

so when i put my sim from moroco ther is no dialer or sms

and my question is how can i call with this ? device it's possible or not ? if yes how make it active

plz don't say me drop it in the sea as som developers in an other forum thnx and have a nice day

you can't just put a different carriers sim in the device, you have to SIM unlock it first, and it's my understanding that the FCC restrictions on sim unlocking are pretty specific. call AT&T tell them you need to use the devcie over seas see if they will give you the unlock code, or there are several options out there for unlocking just google "Galaxy Tab3 SM-T217A SIM Unlock", You'll get about 68,400 search results.

bl2128

Dec 18, 2011
Tampa
As far as I know, the t217a does not have voice capabilities. I use a voip app that allows me to call via data services. I use google hangouts for instant messaging. I do know that text will work but I do not have text on my plan so I don't use it. Hangouts will handle sms now. I have been told that the t217a does not have the hardware for traditional voice services but I don't know if that is true or not.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T217A using Tapatalk

Last edited:

gryffon

Jan 8, 2013
Not True

As far as I know, the t217a does not have voice capabilities. I use a voip app that allows me to call via data services. I use google hangouts for instant messaging. I do know that text will work but I do not have text on my plan so I don't use it. Hangouts will handle sms now. I have been told that the t217a does not have the hardware for traditional voice services but I don't know if that is true or not.

The SM T217A does indeed have a built in phone but it is locked by the carrier. Once you have unlocked the tab the phone capabilities are also unlocked. Although you may look pretty silly using this big brick as a phone in public :)

Last edited:

Victor.Moran1

Sep 6, 2011
The SM T217A does indeed have a built in phone but it is locked by the carrier. Once you have unlocked the tab the phone capabilities are also unlocked. Although you may look pretty silly using this big brick as a phone in public :)

Ive unlocked it and there is no DIALER, SMS works well with hangouts or go sms pro.

You can not make calls on this tablet unless someone makes a ROM for it with the dialer not stripped down like the one in stock rom (unlikely to happen).

In my experience, if you call this tablet from another phone it wont even ring or anything till the carriers voice mail kicks in, this means the phone in this ROM has been permanently disabled.

Also there are NO free ways to unlock it, cheapest one is 19usd(USB reading of NV files), let me know if you want it to hook you up.

KhurramKz

Feb 18, 2015
did you Root Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 SM T217A for using SMS function from Hangouts ?

Can you please tell me did you use hangouts after rooting the tablet ?
I have installed the version with SMS from android authority but can overwrite on tab by doing that i am not getting the option of SMS or any thing similar to it, so i thought so it might be done if i first root the tablet and completely removed hangout & then again install it, might it work or not sure lol a help would be greatly appreciated, Thank