[INFO] Galaxy S3 fits Infuse 4G Car Dock

Search This thread

ookba

Oct 12, 2007
LA
So, I dusted off my Infuse 4G Car Dock and voila! The S3 fits! Height is perfect but the S3 is a tad narrower than the Infuse so some very minor side to side alignment prior to sliding the connector in is required. Other than that it fits like it was made for it! Enjoy! :laugh:

Update:
Audio output works as well!

Video:
http://youtu.be/p9wBmmKhp9Y

Dock on Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-INFUSE.../dp/B004WOBMIY

Attachments

• 20120621_201852.jpg
    20120621_201852.jpg
    204.7 KB · Views: 46,427
  • 20120621_201947.jpg
    20120621_201947.jpg
    195.9 KB · Views: 45,481
  • 20120621_201952.jpg
    20120621_201952.jpg
    130.5 KB · Views: 47,363
  • 20120621_201901.jpg
    20120621_201901.jpg
    202 KB · Views: 40,967
Last edited:

cryptkeeper12

Apr 17, 2011
Dude, you are my hero right now. I've been spoiled by my Epic 4G dock for the past 2 years and I really didn't want to spend close to $90 for the brodit stuff.

Thank you :)

EDIT: Does the phone pop back out too easily? Gravity probably helps yours stay in but I keep my dock on my windshield and just wanted to know to avoid having it fall out forward. Thanks again

Last edited:
Reactions: glassjosh

ookba

Oct 12, 2007
LA
Dude, you are my hero right now. I've been spoiled by my Epic 4G dock for the past 2 years and I really didn't want to spend close to $90 for the brodit stuff.

Thank you :)

EDIT: Does the phone pop back out too easily? Gravity probably helps yours stay in but I keep my dock on my windshield and just wanted to know to avoid having it fall out forward. Thanks again
Yea snaps in firmly and pops out easy. No worry about it falling out.

Reactions: cryptkeeper12

KennyLegend

Jan 13, 2011
Cork
Great find ookba and thanks. Is that the exact dock u linked to with the charging slider too,?

Also, does this come with the wiring harness?

I'm guessing that being slightly narrower might mean the phone might dock with a thin case on? Ie case mate barely there, incipio feather case etc.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using xda premium

Last edited:
Just to be 100% clear, we're talking about THIS car mount, right?

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-INFUS...8949&sr=8-1&keywords=samsung+infuse+car+mount

I was JUST about to order it until I realized.... I already have the OEM Samsung one for the D710, here are the dimensions to compare:

i997 - 132 x 71 x 9 mm
D710 - 130 x 70 x 10 mm

The D710 car dock doesn't output audio for my SGSII Skyrocket, but that's okay because I have Bluetooth audio streaming in the car now if it doesn't.... going to keep the mount ready to install when I finally get my SGSIII in hand to test it and will report back with the findings! Wouldn't that be awesome if I didn't have to buy another car dock.....

EDIT - I also just realized you said the SIII is a tad narrower than the Infuse, so this being 2mm narrower might be a better fit!

MAJOR EDIT - I just received the SIII today, and while driving home with it, I tried it out on the D710 dock - it works just the same as the Infuse dock, so if you can't find the one for the Infuse, buy the Sprint Epic Touch 4G (Galaxy SII, D710) dock here:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005LBEG80/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00

Last edited:
Reactions: MissNinjaKittie

ookba

Oct 12, 2007
LA
Just to be 100% clear, we're talking about THIS car mount, right?

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-INFUS...8949&sr=8-1&keywords=samsung+infuse+car+mount

I was JUST about to order it until I realized.... I already have the OEM Samsung one for the D710, here are the dimensions to compare:

i997 - 132 x 71 x 9 mm
D710 - 130 x 70 x 10 mm

The D710 car dock doesn't output audio for my SGSII Skyrocket, but that's okay because I have Bluetooth audio streaming in the car now if it doesn't.... going to keep the mount ready to install when I finally get my SGSIII in hand to test it and will report back with the findings! Wouldn't that be awesome if I didn't have to buy another car dock.....

EDIT - I also just realized you said the SIII is a tad narrower than the Infuse, so this being 2mm narrower might be a better fit!
Yea the SGH-i997 is the one I tested this with. Works like a charm. Outputs audio, etc. Does not come with any harnesses. The one you see is something I wired up. The dock has audio output and microUSB charge input.

Reactions: polera257

tdwilli1

Jul 20, 2010
OnePlus 8T
Yea the SGH-i997 is the one I tested this with. Works like a charm. Outputs audio, etc. Does not come with any harnesses. The one you see is something I wired up. The dock has audio output and microUSB charge input.

I can also confirm that this works. Snapped right in, S3 went into dock mode and everything works great. Also as someone else mentioned in the other thread I used velcro and attached it to my Proclip vehicle mount.

Reactions: faulkton

CZ Eddie

Sep 27, 2011
Austin, TX
Get the funk out, I just sold one of my Infuse car docks cuz I figured it wouldn't work.
And I used it all the time on my Skyrocket.
But you're right! It snaps right in there! Good thing I had another dock.

---------- Post added at 01:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:36 PM ----------

I've been using the Infuse car dock with my Skyrocket for about seven months.
It's a GREAT dock. Only twice has the suction cup lost grip and fallen off my windshield. :D

Stoked that I can use it with my SIII also now! :good:

---------- Post added at 01:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:42 PM ----------

Here are some more videos of the dock. This is me using it as a DESKTOP dock with my Skyrocket:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1353291

Reactions: faulkton

m.a.s.e

Oct 3, 2011
Frisco, Texas
i wish we could use that with a case on...
i've been searching like crazy for something that will fit the phone with a case on...
no luck so far...

Reactions: pelcan

CZ Eddie

Sep 27, 2011
Austin, TX
My SIII sitting in my OEM Samsung Infuse dock.
Audio out through the 3.5mm audio jack integrated into the dock works beautiful.
Turn my car off, then back on and the music starts playing again right away.
Wish I could say the same for bluetooth.
USB *might* sound better than bluetooth too, btw.

That thingy on the top is my bluetooth microphone.
IMG_4094-1.jpg

IMG_4093.jpg

IMG_4091.jpg

RikF

Nov 4, 2007
CZ - how much 'wiggle' would you say that it has when you are plugging it in as OP mentioned? Any danger of scratching the bottom as you try to get the USB in? Something that might be cured by a little electrical tape on the insides of the dock, or a very thin case?

nmhung100

Mar 16, 2011
I can confirm it too. I had an old Samsung Infuse car mount in my drawer, just took it out and tried it. It fit really perfectly, so surprised. I just cancelled order for new one. It was tested on road. Perfect. Saving a lot money and making me smile a lot. It made my day.

CZ Eddie

Sep 27, 2011
Austin, TX
CZ - how much 'wiggle' would you say that it has when you are plugging it in as OP mentioned? Any danger of scratching the bottom as you try to get the USB in? Something that might be cured by a little electrical tape on the insides of the dock, or a very thin case?

Absolutely no wiggle at all. The phone kind of clicks into place in the dock, even without the USB plugged in.
It does take two hands to put it in and remove it. It's that tight. But not TOO tight.

I haven't had any issues with the USB plug. Seems to be about perfectly aligned to me? But then I do have a body wrap on my phone.
No case will work on this though. It's too tight for that. Not that I've tried, but I really doubt any case will fit.

anilkuj

Jul 25, 2007
jersey city
Just got my mount today.
All4cellular shipped really quick.
Thanks to op for the tip the mount fits great with my s3 , with Nfc tag attached it's perfect !!!!
as a bonus this mount also works with my galaxy nexus . This the best 17$ I have spent :)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using xda premium

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    So, I dusted off my Infuse 4G Car Dock and voila! The S3 fits! Height is perfect but the S3 is a tad narrower than the Infuse so some very minor side to side alignment prior to sliding the connector in is required. Other than that it fits like it was made for it! Enjoy! :laugh:

Update:
    Audio output works as well!

Video:
    http://youtu.be/p9wBmmKhp9Y

Dock on Amazon:
    http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-INFUSE.../dp/B004WOBMIY
    Here's how I managed to use the dock with jelly bean. The phone will not recognise the dock (no car mode). But I'm able to use it as charger.

First : Removing the cover at the rear of the dock (not easy ...).
    attachment.php

To use as charger : I used a cutter to cut the connection as bellow (Cut the vertical line in the red circle).
    attachment.php

An other way is to remove R1 resistor on the other side of the board. (The resistors are contact between a USB PIN and mass. I think that's what allows to recognize that this is a car dock).

With the first operation, the charger will only be recognized as USB charger and charge will be longer. To correct this, you must make a connection between the two connectors marked with a red arrow.
    Then, the dock will be recognized as AC charger (fast charge).
    attachment.php

I have not tried the audio output. But I think that it should not work.

Hope this will help. And sorry for my poor english ... :D
    Anyone looking to buy this ,

i am planning to buy it from here

http://www.all4cellular.com/product...tml?siteID=PvTvb1zzm2o-YOVY53MtVIZpTBEcmQbotg

this was on Woot few months ago , looks like the price is still a go !!

14.95 + 2$ shipping

Absolutely no wiggle at all. The phone kind of clicks into place in the dock, even without the USB plugged in.
    It does take two hands to put it in and remove it. It's that tight. But not TOO tight.

I haven't had any issues with the USB plug. Seems to be about perfectly aligned to me? But then I do have a body wrap on my phone.
    No case will work on this though. It's too tight for that. Not that I've tried, but I really doubt any case will fit.