Extended Life Battery tempts me:) (a.k.a. extended battery discussion thread)

Search This thread
Jul 8, 2011
Honestly, I got about the same results with my EZO battery: just over 9 hours of constant heavy use. Other than the fact it swelled up, it worked great. I guess there was a reason it was so cheap...

I had a Mugen battery for my Sidekick 4G before I bought the Relay and it still works great. (I loaned the SK4G to a friend that broke his phone.) My new Mugen hasn't had any problems, but I've only had it a few months.

Combined with TeamApex's Cyanogen and this awesome QWERTY keyboard, my extended batteries have made this phone the most productive and useful device I have ever owned. I can't say enough great things about ApexTmo, the Relay, and extended batteries. :)

Ahh that's good to hear. :) Also the capacity of the Mugen is 4600 mAh vs the 4100 on the EZO, so I'd expect it'd have some more life per charge. :) Looks like I'll be trying to scrounge up the dough for the Mugen, then. Also they have a 1 YEAR return policy, and I've had TWO EZOs swell up in a little less than that. That tells me the Mugen should be much better quality.
Originally I was thinking the lack of NFC on the EZO was the reason it was cheap. Turns out NFC doesn't cost THAT much to implement, so the EZO cheapened out elsewhere, in our case, swelling prematurely.

I do wish it had more built-in RAM, though. Having apps close after only switching between 1 or 2 is quite annoying. Also I'm currently running stock/updated 4.1.2. I'd like to put Cyanogen on it, but want to do it in such a way that I can go back to stock so that if I had to send the phone in, they'd never know I'd rooted/flashed it.
And yes, I can't live without the QWERTY. :) I'm thinking my next phone is unlikely to have one built-in, though, so I think the next best thing would be if I could get a flip case, maybe with velcro or something, that I could put the phone in one side and a USB or bluetooth keyboard in the other side. I know a lot of people do fine with typing on touch screens, but I need to be able to feel the keys when I'm typing. I like to be able to type without looking at the keyboard. In fact, I believe that's how I was taught originally, on the computer as well as on the piano, to type/play without looking at the keys. Sometimes, for example, I even play the piano in a dark room with the lights off. :)

Also what's the largest µSD card you're using with your Relay? I've been using a 64 GB Sandisk Ultra (or similar model) since soon after I got my phone around March 2013. It had been working fine in the phone for a while, but in my dad's laptop (Windows XP Pro 32-bit) I could read from it, but couldn't write much to it before I'd get a write protect error, or something like that. More recently it's gotten to where it'll appear that I wrote to it on the phone, but later it turns out it didn't. I even "formatted", then rebooted, and everything was still all intact from before the "format". Is it possible that my card just went bad? Or should I consider getting something else? A 32 GB card is too small for me, considering the music, etc, I'd always want access to. I'd like to get a 128 GB when the price comes down to a reasonable level.

Ayle87

Jul 19, 2011
Huh, I just use an external battery and keep it in my backpack. Not a solution for everyone though....:p

terinfire

Feb 2, 2011
Huh, I just use an external battery and keep it in my backpack. Not a solution for everyone though....:p

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00L4MAQMK

I bought this guy. I've been pretty happy with it. A week in and I can go two days without connecting to a charger. I haven't changed my usage (I actually probably use it a little more now, since I know I can last so long) and I used to only get ~ 9-10 hours before being at 10-15% (sometimes less) with the stock battery and LiquidSmooth ROM (no changes on the governors, schedulers, etc).

I'm pretty happy -- just have to make sure you try to let it follow a natural flow cycle and not keep charging when it's not even > 20% used. This is only a week in, but most batteries that I've had that sucked failed within a few days and dropped capacity. We'll see how this one holds up for a few months.

Reactions: esilence

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    EZO battery

I had purchased a EZO high capacity battery with cover from Amazon--the same day I ordered the phone. That was months ago and I see the battery is no longer available on the site.

That's a shame, because the package was reasonably priced, the cover fits well, and the battery works as promised.

The device can run about ten consecutive hours for me running CM9 without any CPU profiles and with the governour set to interactive.

If I'm going to be away from a charger for a long time, I've found that setting the device to powersave is tolerable for most applications and the battery goes from good to ridiculous...

The additional bulk will turn off some buyers; however, I have found that it makes sliding the keyboard open much easier...

If you can find an EZO battery and you don't mind the extra bulk, I recommend one.

I also picked up two EZO batteries. They have a well made cover and last for twice what stock does. Unfortunately it didn't have a NFC antenna and both have now swollen up to the point they no longer fit. While I had left them plugged in after full charge, they seem to stay warm and not tolerate it well. Can't say how well they could have lasted if better cared for, but abuse or overcharging seems to effect them quickly.

Does the mugen or other brands also have issues? If anyone else have suggestions.

---------- Post added at 11:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:08 PM ----------

Can anyone confirm whether the Relay accurately reports on the extended batteries? I'm currently using a patched Droid 3, but I'm starting to find its limitations too restrictive, and I'm thinking of plonking down for a Relay.

Well, it just displays a percentage. It at least seems accurate while logging with Juice Defender's graph, it would track down at fairly consistent rate until charged or out of power. As for swapping over to a Relay, It's about as well supported as any slider out right now. I haven't been disappointed.
    I had purchased a EZO high capacity battery with cover from Amazon--the same day I ordered the phone. That was months ago and I see the battery is no longer available on the site.

That's a shame, because the package was reasonably priced, the cover fits well, and the battery works as promised.

The device can run about ten consecutive hours for me running CM9 without any CPU profiles and with the governour set to interactive.

If I'm going to be away from a charger for a long time, I've found that setting the device to powersave is tolerable for most applications and the battery goes from good to ridiculous...

The additional bulk will turn off some buyers; however, I have found that it makes sliding the keyboard open much easier...

If you can find an EZO battery and you don't mind the extra bulk, I recommend one.
    N
    Nardholio
    nfc antenna is in the battery casing. NFC antennas go for about $5 on ebay, if you figured out which two connectors go to the nfc you could probably set up your own if your battery doesn't support it.

Sent from my SGH-T699 using xda premium
    I was looking at extended batteries and if I'm not mistaken, there seems to be a genuine extended battery that should work with this phone. Just would need an extended battery cover. Battery model is: EB-L1K6ULZ (Link)

It looks good. Be aware that most "extended" battery will not last long... In particular when they have a lower voltage than the original battery. Lot of battery with higher mAh run at 3.7V instead of 3.8V this make it last shorter than the original.