Originally Posted by chromegsx
I knew this day would come, I've traded PC trouble shooting for tablet troubleshooting. My son's tf300 gets to the screen where circles/dots go round and round and never gets any further. I am trying to learn everything I can and try everything I can before doing the wipe and starting over...as he has pictures and videos he'd like to save, and of course the all important saved game/app data...LOL. Anyway I'm new to tablets relatively speaking, but I've tried the volume down, and power button for doing a cold boot, same result. I've tried going to the recovery option just to see what that was about, and all I get is a flash of a screen saying something like updating android version or something like that and then the dead android with the usual red triangle and eventually the device will restart itself. I should that to him and told him he killed the android which gave me a puzzled look and then a smile...Anyway, you can't turn off the device nohow noway, except letting the battery drain completely.
I've been reading a little and learning about roots, backups, recoveries, etc... trying to come up with a plan of attack but feel like I'm spinning my wheels. Any advice here? and Can I access via PC to USB to device and just pull off his pics and videos to copy back over to the device after a wipe?
Problem started...I think when he ran the power dead completely and then had to restart...nor sure though... memories of a child are sketchy at best.
I have a solution, but your not going to like it, all data will be lost....
1. Download the latest version of Android for your tablet. Make sure you download the correct SKU version.
A. To find the SKU, go into settings, About tablet, and look for your Build Number, There are two letters (such as US,WW, TW, etc.) that is your SKU. When downloading the zip from ASUS', you must download the correct SKU zip.
2. Decompress downloaded .zip file (it will be another .zip)
3. Rename it to:
A. For the TF700 and TF300: EP201_768_SDUPDATE.zip
B. For the TF101: E101_SDUPDATE.zip
4. Make sure your MicroSD card is formatted Fat32. It must be Fat32 Format or it will not work.
5. Copy the file to (the root directory of) your MicroSD
6. Insert the MicroSD into the tablet
7. Shutdown (power off) the tablet
8. Power it on by pressing and holding VOLUME DOWN and POWER buttons simultaneously
9. When you see white text in the top left corner of the screen, release the buttons ^^ and press VOLUME UP button (on RCK, this is your recovery which should already be selected) until you see Android logo and process bar
10. Give the update process 5-10 minutes. It should not take longer than that. If it happens to run for more than 45 minutes to an hour, force shut down the tablet and see if it boots. If it does not, try rerunning steps 7-9.
Let me know if you need any help along the way.... Thx as always lj