Remove All Ads from XDA
Honor 7x
Win an Honor 7X!

[Q] I knew this day would come...Son's TF300 won't boot

7 posts
Thanks Meter: 2

By chromegsx, Junior Member on 20th January 2014, 06:09 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
I knew this day would come, I've traded PC trouble shooting for tablet troubleshooting. My son's tf300 gets to the screen where circles/dots go round and round and never gets any further. I am trying to learn everything I can and try everything I can before doing the wipe and starting over...as he has pictures and videos he'd like to save, and of course the all important saved game/app data...LOL. Anyway I'm new to tablets relatively speaking, but I've tried the volume down, and power button for doing a cold boot, same result. I've tried going to the recovery option just to see what that was about, and all I get is a flash of a screen saying something like updating android version or something like that and then the dead android with the usual red triangle and eventually the device will restart itself. I should that to him and told him he killed the android which gave me a puzzled look and then a smile...Anyway, you can't turn off the device nohow noway, except letting the battery drain completely.

I've been reading a little and learning about roots, backups, recoveries, etc... trying to come up with a plan of attack but feel like I'm spinning my wheels. Any advice here? and Can I access via PC to USB to device and just pull off his pics and videos to copy back over to the device after a wipe?

Problem started...I think when he ran the power dead completely and then had to restart...nor sure though... memories of a child are sketchy at best.

20th January 2014, 06:24 PM |#2  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Area51
Thanks Meter: 3,285

Donate to Me
More
Feedback
Quote:
Originally Posted by chromegsx

I knew this day would come, I've traded PC trouble shooting for tablet troubleshooting. My son's tf300 gets to the screen where circles/dots go round and round and never gets any further. I am trying to learn everything I can and try everything I can before doing the wipe and starting over...as he has pictures and videos he'd like to save, and of course the all important saved game/app data...LOL. Anyway I'm new to tablets relatively speaking, but I've tried the volume down, and power button for doing a cold boot, same result. I've tried going to the recovery option just to see what that was about, and all I get is a flash of a screen saying something like updating android version or something like that and then the dead android with the usual red triangle and eventually the device will restart itself. I should that to him and told him he killed the android which gave me a puzzled look and then a smile...Anyway, you can't turn off the device nohow noway, except letting the battery drain completely.

I've been reading a little and learning about roots, backups, recoveries, etc... trying to come up with a plan of attack but feel like I'm spinning my wheels. Any advice here? and Can I access via PC to USB to device and just pull off his pics and videos to copy back over to the device after a wipe?

Problem started...I think when he ran the power dead completely and then had to restart...nor sure though... memories of a child are sketchy at best.

I have a solution, but your not going to like it, all data will be lost....

1. Download the latest version of Android for your tablet. Make sure you download the correct SKU version.
A. To find the SKU, go into settings, About tablet, and look for your Build Number, There are two letters (such as US,WW, TW, etc.) that is your SKU. When downloading the zip from ASUS', you must download the correct SKU zip.
2. Decompress downloaded .zip file (it will be another .zip)
3. Rename it to:
A. For the TF700 and TF300: EP201_768_SDUPDATE.zip
B. For the TF101: E101_SDUPDATE.zip
4. Make sure your MicroSD card is formatted Fat32. It must be Fat32 Format or it will not work.
5. Copy the file to (the root directory of) your MicroSD
6. Insert the MicroSD into the tablet
7. Shutdown (power off) the tablet
8. Power it on by pressing and holding VOLUME DOWN and POWER buttons simultaneously
9. When you see white text in the top left corner of the screen, release the buttons ^^ and press VOLUME UP button (on RCK, this is your recovery which should already be selected) until you see Android logo and process bar
10. Give the update process 5-10 minutes. It should not take longer than that. If it happens to run for more than 45 minutes to an hour, force shut down the tablet and see if it boots. If it does not, try rerunning steps 7-9.

Let me know if you need any help along the way.... Thx as always lj
The Following User Says Thank You to lj50036 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift lj50036 Ad-Free
20th January 2014, 06:32 PM |#3  
OP Junior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by lj50036

I have a solution, but your not going to like it, all data will be lost....

Let me know if you need any help along the way.... Thx as always lj

So the RCK thing doesn't do anything unless you have SD card in to do something that's on the card?

And there's no way to access what's on the device without getting it booted all the way?

Sounds like your saving me and my son from updating from his original Android version after a wipe...Thanks
20th January 2014, 06:40 PM |#4  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Area51

Donate to Me
More
SKU
Quote:

So the RCK thing doesn't do anything unless you have SD card in to do something that's on the card?

And there's no way to access what's on the device without getting it booted all the way?

Sounds like your saving me and my son from updating from his original Android version after a wipe...Thanks

Yes the tablet having a locked bootloader... You can only flash signed zip files...From the SDcard

When your on that screen with the RCK.. NEVER select the WIPE DATA.. Bad things will happen...

Also when your in the RCK screen.. That is called the bootloader screen....So you know if some one refers to it by its name.....

Also that is were you can find your SKU on the bootloader screen upper left in white letters... WW, US, TW ............... Make sure you get the right SKU from asus for your 300....
The Following User Says Thank You to lj50036 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift lj50036 Ad-Free
20th January 2014, 07:00 PM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 882

Donate to Me
More
Quote:

Yes the tablet having a locked bootloader... You can only flash signed zip files...From the SDcard

When your on that screen with the RCK.. NEVER select the WIPE DATA.. Bad things will happen...

Also when your in the RCK screen.. That is called the bootloader screen....So you know if some one refers to it by its name.....

Also that is were you can find your SKU on the bootloader screen upper left in white letters... WW, US, TW ............... Make sure you get the right SKU from asus for your 300....

Hey congrats on Recognized Contributor!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cmendonc2 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift cmendonc2 Ad-Free
20th January 2014, 07:03 PM |#6  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Area51

Donate to Me
More
Happy
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmendonc2

Hey congrats on Recognized Contributor!

I am happy about it.. Still so much to learn... Im not trying to let it go to my head...LOL
21st January 2014, 10:16 AM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 148

More
Quote:

... NEVER select the WIPE DATA.. Bad things will happen...

As far as I know it's related only to custom recovery and if You have stock one it should work. Or I'm wrong?
The Following User Says Thank You to Graiden05 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Graiden05 Ad-Free
21st January 2014, 01:19 PM |#8  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Area51

Donate to Me
More
Data Wipe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graiden05

As far as I know it's related only to custom recovery and if You have stock one it should work. Or I'm wrong?

Yes that is correct. I just like to move people away from even thinking its an option, as I have had people with stock everything and the Wipe Data
icon has even given them trouble, its just not worth touching....LOL...Thx as always lj
21st January 2014, 06:42 PM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 882

Donate to Me
More
Quote:

Yes that is correct. I just like to move people away from even thinking its an option, as I have had people with stock everything and the Wipe Data
icon has even given them trouble, its just not worth touching....LOL...Thx as always lj

Yep when I first got my tablet i was so scared about going into that menu because I learned that it was only 3-4 clicks away from a brick.
The Following User Says Thank You to cmendonc2 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift cmendonc2 Ad-Free
24th January 2014, 12:08 AM |#10  
OP Junior Member

More
Quote:

Out of curiousity...Isn't doing these steps more or less just upgrading the firmware? Like getting an update from ASUS? If so, why will it lose all the data?

I haven't mustered up the courage yet to do this yet... actually it's more like getting the time to do it.
24th January 2014, 12:12 AM |#11  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Area51

Donate to Me
More
Feedback
Quote:

Out of curiousity...Isn't doing these steps more or less just upgrading the firmware? Like getting an update from ASUS? If so, why will it lose all the data?

I haven't mustered up the courage yet to do this yet... actually it's more like getting the time to do it.

Yes, that is correct..but its not a ota.... So the process will wipe all data....Thx always lj
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
bootloop, stock

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)