[ROOT]Kindle Fire HD 8.9

Search This thread

aaron.a

Dec 24, 2010
worked great. i used sdk manager to install all the necessary kindle drivers and beyond that its a step by step video.. what more can you ask for? thanks for the find!

dembrec

Dec 3, 2012
Hmmm . . .

Anyone have ideas why this isn't working for me? The script executes, asks at two points to click OK for a reset on the kindle, reboots the device a couple of times, and ends with the encouraging words, All is done, Have fun!

but after reboot I still don't have root permissions -- can't paste Google apk's into root folders, etc. What am I missing, since it's obviously working for the rest of you? Please give me some help here, guys.

I made a screenshot of the command window showing the sequence of events if anybody wants to see, but I'm denied to post it here ... says I need to have 10 posts

mdblaze

Mar 25, 2009
Anyone have ideas why this isn't working for me? The script executes, asks at two points to click OK for a reset on the kindle, reboots the device a couple of times, and ends with the encouraging words, All is done, Have fun!

but after reboot I still don't have root permissions -- can't paste Google apk's into root folders, etc. What am I missing, since it's obviously working for the rest of you? Please give me some help here, guys.

I made a screenshot of the command window showing the sequence of events if anybody wants to see, but I'm denied to post it here ... says I need to have 10 posts

Did you type the commands into the terminal on the fire? Watch closely at some point the command prompt will tell you to type two commands into the kindle screen.

dembrec

Dec 3, 2012
Did you type the commands into the terminal on the fire? Watch closely at some point the command prompt will tell you to type two commands into the kindle screen.

mdblaze: Thank you!!!! that was it! and now I have root. I could kiss you!!!

*does a standing backflip*

Last edited:

nora_noob

Nov 18, 2012
Milan
ARGH!!! Amazon updated from 7.1.2 to 7.2.2 and deleted a lot of stuff

Kindle Fire HD. Tonight Amazon automalically updated from 7.1.2 to 7.2.2 without asking or notifiyng.
I lost : ADW launcher, all Google apps, Google Play and don't yet know what else.

I find myselfa stuck again with Amazon standard UI (Carousel !)
I am MAD, Did the same happen to somebody else?

Last edited:

ZilverZurfarn

Feb 11, 2009
Göteborg
Ah - Hopefully my update counter measures (renaming /system/etc/security/otacerts.zip) will stop that update. If not, I guess I'll have to start over again. Please, CM10,hurry this way!

Last edited:

nora_noob

Nov 18, 2012
Milan
ARGH CUBED!! they unrooted it!

They apparently unrooted it as well: ES explorer refuses to mount system and I can't write in \SYStEM\APPS.
So, it really means to start again from sctatch, re-rooting and re-installing all.

I wish I could return it and buy a Nexus 7, but in my country to return it after a month it's impossible :(

onemeila

Jan 2, 2012
Winchester
Kindle Fire HD. Tonight Amazon automalically updated from 7.1.2 to 7.2.2 without asking or notifiyng.
I lost : ADW launcher, all Google apps, Google Play and don't yet know what else.

I find myselfa stuck again with Amazon standard UI (Carousel !)
I am MAD, Did the same happen to somebody else?

An update from Amazon or any company will generally rewrite the system so any apps installed as system apps will be lost including root. The user apps will not be effected. That is part of the reason why I suggest not installing apps as system apps unless it is absolutely necessary. The only apks i've found that have to be installed as system are phonesky(play store version of vending) and launchers. Everything else, ie:superuser and googleservicesframework, along with most others will work fine as user apps

fiercepanacke

Dec 7, 2012
missing Silk after root?

Followed instructions for 8.9 root and most went well (easy to miss the section where you enter terminal commands, had to start over there). Note, I DID have to copy the ADB files from the android-sdk I installed over to the stuff directory, because that version could detect my Kindle and the one supplied in this zip could not.

After complete, all items appeared to be working and could install Play store, etc. Then I noticed the Silk browser was missing. Navigated into the system/app folder and re-installed it by clicking the icon - but now it just launches and hangs. Chrome browser works fine. Has anyone else had problems with Silk after root and/or know how to repair?

jmoak

Aug 9, 2008
Can someone maybe look into what this tool does and break down the steps? It appears that a lot of what the tool tries to do doesn't even work.

Maybe we can weed out the unnecessary commands that don't even find file locations or even report back as errors.

I'm also not a fan of the resetting data portion of the tool.

I'm not trying to complain, I'm glad this was found. I just think it can be improved on and more specific to our device.

Sent from my SGH-T769 using Tapatalk 2

timnan

Aug 31, 2008
I can not agree this. If it is quite clear to amazon, they will patch it like root method on HD 7 7.2.1.

Too simple means easy block.

Can someone maybe look into what this tool does and break down the steps? It appears that a lot of what the tool tries to do doesn't even work.

Maybe we can weed out the unnecessary commands that don't even find file locations or even report back as errors.

I'm also not a fan of the resetting data portion of the tool.

I'm not trying to complain, I'm glad this was found. I just think it can be improved on and more specific to our device.

Sent from my SGH-T769 using Tapatalk 2

Sent from my SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2

Xyth

Sep 20, 2012
Worked on 8.1.3 for me. Made the mistake of having the Kindle 8.9 attached to usb cable "before" switching on the "enable adb" setting on the kindle. This loaded the wrong kindle driver. I had to remove that driver from windows via device manager, then reattach the kindle to load the correct "composite" driver. Also, be sure to type the two commands into the kindle as shown in the video or it won't work. If that happens, just redo from the beginning.

Last edited:

Trahald

Feb 25, 2012
How can I make Apex launcher works? I already installed but it doesn't work. Also, gmail app stops working. How can I fix this?

Thank you.

Edit: I figured out Apex. It is working now. My only problem is Gmail. I can't open. It says, stop working.

Last edited:

PixelPerfect3

Aug 14, 2010
How can I make Apex launcher works? I already installed but it doesn't work. Also, gmail app stops working. How can I fix this?

Thank you.

Edit: I figured out Apex. It is working now. My only problem is Gmail. I can't open. It says, stop working.

I'm having a similar problem with Gmail and Google Reader - they just crash when you open them. I think it has something to do with Google Sync not working...does anyone have any idea on how to fix this?

F@@dog

May 25, 2012
Dallas TX
Followed instructions for 8.9 root and most went well (easy to miss the section where you enter terminal commands, had to start over there). Note, I DID have to copy the ADB files from the android-sdk I installed over to the stuff directory, because that version could detect my Kindle and the one supplied in this zip could not.

After complete, all items appeared to be working and could install Play store, etc. Then I noticed the Silk browser was missing. Navigated into the system/app folder and re-installed it by clicking the icon - but now it just launches and hangs. Chrome browser works fine. Has anyone else had problems with Silk after root and/or know how to repair?

Silk browser is an Amazon app. It will work just fine if you reregister at Amazon. I thought your reason for rooting was to get away from Amazon.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Ok, I had no other place to put this post, but figured this was the best for right now. I was unable to achieve root with the HD 7 method, so I went searching. I am happy to report success!

All thanks go to Bin4ry, as I did nothing to contribute to this method, only tried his auto root program.

The files and steps are located here:
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1886460

Follow the steps for the Sony tablet. This is achieved using the 2nd option.

Video for steps are here:
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=33470626#post33470626

Again follow all the steps in the video for the tablet, which is the second item rooted.
    Not working for me either. Seems like it can't detect my tablet (have ADB mode enabled). Did ya'll have to install some drivers? I Googled some Fire HD 7.0 ADB drivers, but those wouldn't install for me.

If someone can provide a bit more details, I'd appreciate it. Thanks.

These are the directions I used to install ADB drivers on my 8.9. Good Luck

https://developer.amazon.com/sdk/fire/connect-adb.html
    I just spoke with Bin4ry, and he agreed that rewriting his script to work specifically for the KFHDs would be a good idea (get rid of errors, make it work the first time, etc). I'm working on it now and I'll post a new version as soon as it works the way it should. I've already identified the problems with the Unix script and it will be a breeze to fix but it may take me a minute to port it to Windows because I am still very new to the Windows batch scripting. If anyone has experience with batch scripting and would like to help or share some knowledge, that would be pretty awesome (if not, I'll figure it out...shouldn't be that hard).

I have an HD 8.9 so if anyone has had any success rooting the 7" tablets using Bin4ry's method, let me know and I will post accordingly. I think it would be nice to have one root method to work for all 2nd generation devices.
    I have the kindle fire hd 8.9 and I rooted it already and Super SU is already on kindle but I have no idea how to run the google play store etc. I'm super new at this and would absolutely love the help! thank you!!!!
    There's a thread for that:
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1893410
    Thanks in advance! =)

Good day: Since you want to load 2nd boot and then get rid of the Kindle OS, you are all set and do not need to locate the 8.48 freedom boot image. Any freedom boot image will work so the 8.4.6 freedom boot image will work just fine.

First, you need to get root and then the rest is cake with the fireflash11.apk and some files from the Hashcode postings.

My post (Posts: 298) above this post a little ways describes using root with Binary to get root.
    Even though you are having trouble, I am pretty sure, this should work on 8.4.8.
    A week ago, I purposefully upgraded one of my 7" to 7.4.8 and then rooted it using the LINUX version of root with Binary.

I took an 8.9 Kindle Fire and upgraded it to 8.4.8
    I used LINUX to root the tablet and then unrooted the tablet.
    I then connected the tablet to Windows and used root with Binary V31 and rooted the tablet.
    The tablet rooted just fine.

When using Root with binary, you do have to remember to:
    1: Click "do not back up" on the tablet screen when you first kick off the binary root script.
    2: Then you select "continue" on the PC command prompt
    3: Then you click "Restore my tablet" on the tablet screen
    4: Then click 'Continue" a second time on the PC command prompt.
    5: Once the "Do not" and "restore" acknowledgements are made on the tablet, the Binary tool will finish its work and finally give you the "Enjoy" note.
    Even if you missed a step or two, the script will finish and give you the "Enjoy" response so if you do not have root after finishing, it means you missed a step.

I am guessing perhaps you did not notice the two tablet on screen acknowledgements needed to complete the root process?

Let us know how you are doing?
    If all else fails, I can push a pre-rooted system image on Dropbox and you can download it and flash it to your tablet and have root.

Regards