[TOOL] Website for instant firmware update check for Xperia phones

Search This thread

pascalbrax

Nov 15, 2010
Hi everybody!

This post is probably already late for party, but I wanted to share with you a website I've done in june 2013 first for checking the availability of new firmwares for the Sony Xperia Z phone and then expanded to more Sony devices.

Sony firmware check

This is a website (which works very nicely from mobile, too) to quickly check if Sony has released a new firmware for your phone model based on your Customization ID number stored inside your phone.

It allows you to save a bookmark for your very own phone (I have one myself on my phone homescreen) and it also allows you to have a dynamic image to insert in your signature on forum boards for brag and stuff.

It does NOT (yet) allow you to download FTF firmwares from different regions. If you need an update check AND a sort of FTF files index, I suggest the awesome updatechecker (for Windows) by Macmol.

This is the website: http://scavenger.ch/xperiaupdate/

I hope you can find it useful. Any (good or bad) feedback is very welcome.

Last edited:

pascalbrax

Nov 15, 2010
We have a better tool

You know, I have linked that tool in my post...

And it's definitely a very nice tool (and I love the direct links to the FTF files), the only "flaw" is it only works on Windows, but hey, the more, the better. Right?

Also if a lot of people are checking their device the website will be very very slow.

Mh... nope, not really. The website caches requests for the same firmware for a short period of time to avoid overloading Sony server. If the reply is slow it's because the Sony server are slow in that moment, there's nothing I can do without generating even more load on Sony servers side.

Reactions: Ayush Singh

kraml

Oct 31, 2008
Thanks. I like this website.

I already have a browser open after my Windows started so I don't need another tool just to check for a easy version number. This website is a better fit for me.

Reactions: pascalbrax

olokos

Recognized Developer
Oct 16, 2011
Warsaw
It looks great and is made really well, but I'm not sure whether it's a website issue or custom rom issue because I'm running on .681 based rom and it won't tell me about a new firmware update, yet the website tells me this:
Model: C6903
Custom number: 1276-7939
Latest firmware: 14.3.A.0.757

Any ideas?

pascalbrax

Nov 15, 2010
It looks great and is made really well, but I'm not sure whether it's a website issue or custom rom issue because I'm running on .681 based rom and it won't tell me about a new firmware update, yet the website tells me this:
Model: C6903
Custom number: 1276-7939
Latest firmware: 14.3.A.0.757

Any ideas?

If you don't insert your own Custom number, the website picks a generic one (if available) or a random one from its countries database. And we all know Sony doesn't deploy firmware updates homogeneously between countries.

For exampe: these custom numbers 1276-2221, 1276-4318 and 1279-2261 will give you all different firmware versions.

Last edited:

olokos

Recognized Developer
Oct 16, 2011
Warsaw
If you don't insert your own Custom number, the website picks a generic one (if available) or a random one from its countries database. And we all know Sony doesn't deploy firmware updates homogeneously between countries.

For exampe: these custom numbers 1276-2221, 1276-4318 and 1279-2261 will give you all different firmware versions.

I know that it have to be my customization and I actually put my customization in there...
buvetane.jpg

Wysłane z mojego C6903 przy użyciu Tapatalka

pascalbrax

Nov 15, 2010
I know that it have to be my customization and I actually put my customization in there...

I see.

So, you have an older firmware than the one available online. But PC Companion or SEUS doesn't give you any update, is this what you mean?

If I'm right, then there are 2 options:

1. the OTA check is always slower than PCC or SEUS (or my website) and it may take days before the phone notifies you.
  2. You have unlocked the bootloader or done some tricky stuff and therefore new updates are no more notified to you (check this page).

Reactions: olokos

olokos

Recognized Developer
Oct 16, 2011
Warsaw
Yeah, you're right. I should have thought about it. Nice work btw. Clean, sleek, easy to use, gorgeous, Sony styled and other small things like the refresh button and a bookmark. It looks like it's so simple, nobody would use it, yet it looks great and makes the website complete and finished.

How you managed to check the firmware based on customization btw?

Wysłane z mojego C6903 przy użyciu Tapatalka

Reactions: pascalbrax

pascalbrax

Nov 15, 2010
Yeah, you're right. I should have thought about it. Nice work btw. Clean, sleek, easy to use, gorgeous, Sony styled and other small things like the refresh button and a bookmark. It looks like it's so simple, nobody would use it, yet it looks great and makes the website complete and finished.

Thank you, thank you, thank you for your kind words!

I wish I have posted about my work way earlier (this web site is up and running since june 2013).

How you managed to check the firmware based on customization btw?

Well, the core of my website is totally based from @Apollo89 work and his post listing all the Xperia Z firmwares. I just put a good looking wrapper around it.

Reactions: olokos

olokos

Recognized Developer
Oct 16, 2011
Warsaw
You're welcome. You've done a great job and it looks awesome, I just said what's on my mind. :)

pascalbrax

Nov 15, 2010
After so many days, I've added the HSPA version of the Xperia Z2 to the list and a few new Xperia tablets. :)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi everybody!

This post is probably already late for party, but I wanted to share with you a website I've done in june 2013 first for checking the availability of new firmwares for the Sony Xperia Z phone and then expanded to more Sony devices.

Sony firmware check

This is a website (which works very nicely from mobile, too) to quickly check if Sony has released a new firmware for your phone model based on your Customization ID number stored inside your phone.

It allows you to save a bookmark for your very own phone (I have one myself on my phone homescreen) and it also allows you to have a dynamic image to insert in your signature on forum boards for brag and stuff.

It does NOT (yet) allow you to download FTF firmwares from different regions. If you need an update check AND a sort of FTF files index, I suggest the awesome updatechecker (for Windows) by Macmol.

This is the website: http://scavenger.ch/xperiaupdate/

I hope you can find it useful. Any (good or bad) feedback is very welcome.
    The website is under heavy maintenance, it's not dead, yet. :)
    We have a better tool

You know, I have linked that tool in my post...

And it's definitely a very nice tool (and I love the direct links to the FTF files), the only "flaw" is it only works on Windows, but hey, the more, the better. Right?

Also if a lot of people are checking their device the website will be very very slow.

Mh... nope, not really. The website caches requests for the same firmware for a short period of time to avoid overloading Sony server. If the reply is slow it's because the Sony server are slow in that moment, there's nothing I can do without generating even more load on Sony servers side.
    Thanks. I like this website.

I already have a browser open after my Windows started so I don't need another tool just to check for a easy version number. This website is a better fit for me.
    Why don't you query laguCool's server? This way you'd in sync with his device / cust # list but still have the benfit of a website (i.e. it runs on any device and no need to download anything).

http://www.iagucool.com/xperifirm/devices.xml
    http://www.iagucool.com/xperifirm/device/D5503.xml