USB flap... Annoying to open

Search This thread

Tomo1971

Apr 21, 2012
Fife
I tend to charge my phones in the car a lot, and as I use a car dock app I put the phone on charge mist journeys.

Thinking of getting the s5.... How much of a PITA is it to keep opening or closing the flap when charging?

Ta

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk (how ironic is that eh)

eyecon82

May 30, 2010
I tend to charge my phones in the car a lot, and as I use a car dock app I put the phone on charge mist journeys.

Thinking of getting the s5.... How much of a PITA is it to keep opening or closing the flap when charging?

Ta

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk (how ironic is that eh)

its annoying if you keep your nails short

a wireless s-view charging case and pad solved that issue for me

bradthemarsh

Jan 19, 2011
I don't find it annoying at all, I also charge it in the car often, although you'll also find that the battery life is amazing, so I charge it a lot less than any other android I've ever had.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Tomo1971

Apr 21, 2012
Fife
I don't find it annoying at all, I also charge it in the car often, although you'll also find that the battery life is amazing, so I charge it a lot less than any other android I've ever had.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Thats good to know.

I use a iBolt car dock which Ive had for Note 2, S4 and now Note 3. Thinking of going to the S5 but am worried that the flap will either get annoying or get broken off!

Shame there is no real car qi charge option available as yet

MasK

May 15, 2005
Singapore
www.imraneo.com
I removed the flap for good and i dont think it looks that bad.
You can easily remove it by unscrewing a plastic block and then you can safe-keep the flap if you need resell the phone.

LotoTutu

Dec 30, 2013
I removed the flap for good and i dont think it looks that bad.
You can easily remove it by unscrewing a plastic block and then you can safe-keep the flap if you need resell the phone.

If take the flap away, it will lose the waterproof function.

---------- Post added at 10:59 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:52 AM ----------

Thats good to know.

I use a iBolt car dock which Ive had for Note 2, S4 and now Note 3. Thinking of going to the S5 but am worried that the flap will either get annoying or get broken off!

Shame there is no real car qi charge option available as yet

It is a defective design. You can buy a replacement if it is broken off.

Chaleman

Sep 3, 2009
Panama
There are a few out there google "qi car mount" I found a few some on Ebay/Amazon and a few from other retailers

the problem with the wireless charge is the rate of charge is way too slow still.... it's good if you have it in a place were you'll leave the phone for a long time.....

the usb flap does suck but is the price you have to pay to get a good seal...

best regards,

Chale

Thomasba

the problem with the wireless charge is the rate of charge is way too slow still.... it's good if you have it in a place were you'll leave the phone for a long time.....

the usb flap does suck but is the price you have to pay to get a good seal...

best regards,

Chale

I can't comment on the speed of in car wireless chargers as I don't have one but the wireless charger I have at home isn't that slow at all, arguably if it's in a car then it will be on charge for the duration of the journey and so the time it takes to charge becomes slightly irrelevant.
Also charge time is dependant upon the current that the receiver can draw and the current that the base can deliver.The Base and receiver combination I have can work at about 800mA and so once you take a bit off for the inefficiency of wireless charging then they're not that much slower than a mains charger. if the 5V supply from your car charger can only deliver 500mA then yup it's gonna take a while :) It pays to look closely into the specs of these things before parting with your hard earned as cheap usually means just that.....sorry gone off topic :eek:

eyecon82

May 30, 2010
I can't comment on the speed of in car wireless chargers as I don't have one but the wireless charger I have at home isn't that slow at all, arguably if it's in a car then it will be on charge for the duration of the journey and so the time it takes to charge becomes slightly irrelevant.
Also charge time is dependant upon the current that the receiver can draw and the current that the base can deliver.The Base and receiver combination I have can work at about 800mA and so once you take a bit off for the inefficiency of wireless charging then they're not that much slower than a mains charger. if the 5V supply from your car charger can only deliver 500mA then yup it's gonna take a while :) It pays to look closely into the specs of these things before parting with your hard earned as cheap usually means just that.....sorry gone off topic :eek:

800mA charging versus 1.8mA charging is quite a difference, so yes, even at home, wireless charging is slow

and even slower in the car

Tomo1971

Apr 21, 2012
Fife
I went into my carriers store yesterday to look at the s5 and xperia z2. Came out with the z2. That darn flap would annoy me to buggery.

The z2 has the magnetic port on the left side which makes it slightly better.

Not wishing to troll, I've always been a Samsung fan since the Note2 and have upgraded to the s4 and then most recently the note 3 but the s5 didn't stand out for me.

Ok the z2 hasn't got all the features of the s4 or s5 but most of which I never used anyway, and those I did I used rarely.

Maybe in 6 months I'll go back to the Note when the 4 is released lol

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

Tomo1971

Apr 21, 2012
Fife
Would have been the perfect solution on the S5 but then cRapple would have probably said they invented that as well!

Haha.

Wouldnt it be nice if we could take the best bits of several phones and amalgamate them together to make the perfect phone.

There is no perfect for everyone phone out there.

I change phones every few months now, so I suppose I know if I don't get along with the z2 I will sell it on.

So far I'm liking it though... The Sony skin isn't as heavy as TW. Can't say I'm missing any of the TW features yet... I think most are nice to have features but not essential.

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk