[MOD] MicroSD 2 Internal Memory Swap w/ICS support

Search This thread

crossix

Dec 6, 2007
Houston
***Warning Dragons Ahead!!***
Do this at your own risk, it will not void your warrantee but it may make your device unresponsive and cause other issues that I haven't discovered yet! Also, DO NOT at any point attempt to use the unmount sdcard found in your storage settings and DO NOT take your micro sdcard out while your tablet is on, doing these things will cause your apps to fc and potentially loose data. This has been tested only for the Iconia A100 and other devices will probably have different mount points.

It's working great for me but your results may vary, I am not responsible for any damage or problems you might encounter by using this mod (very unlikely that you'll have problems though).

What this mod does:
Since this particular tablet only has 5.4gb of internal storage, I thought it would be great to use my external sd (which is much larger) to install app data and everything else on. So this mod will dirty swap your External micro sd card with your internal memory and vice versa. By dirty swap I mean that the original mount points are untouched and I've just re-bound the mount points to different locations in the tablet. Not the ideal way of doing it, but it works and since we can't touch our init its just about our only option.

It will also speed up your sdcard's read and possibly write speeds by increasing the sdcard's cache.

Requirments: (things you'll need before doing this mod)
You'll need to be rooted, have root explorer installed and of course a micro sd card in your tab:

Instructions:

- Download and unzip the attached file and put it in the root of your internal sdcard (/mnt/sdcard)

- Open root explorer and navigate to /mnt/sdcard (if its not already there) tap and hold on the file install_recovery.sh and pick the copy option

- Now navigate to the /etc folder tap the Mount r/w button

- Find the install_recovery.sh file tap and hold it, then select the option rename. Change the name to install_recovery.bak and then tap paste to copy over the new file.

Now look just under the file, you'll see the date and permissions, it should say something like rwxrwxrwx if it does not you'll need to tap and hold the file tap permissions and check all three boxes for read and execute.

Once you've done the above steps reboot and wait about a minute after your tab comes up, goto settings and look at your storage space to see if the internal space size has changed.

To reverse just delete the install_recovery.sh file, rename the backed up one and reboot. If you decide to keep this mod, you'll want to copy the contents of /mnt/external_sd to /mnt/sdcard so you dont loose any of your app data. Also, you'll no longer need GL 2 SD or any other mod to fetch data from your micro sdcard.

Note: if you have problems deleting or writing to /mnt/external_sd after doing this mod, in root explorer goto /mnt press Mount R/W tap and hold on external_sd and choose permissions. Make sure that all boxes for read and write are checked.

You can use this in conjunction with ICS, its been tested and works great (actually improved my bench scores in antutu benchmark). You can merge the system r/w mod with this one to keep your system read /writable (in ICS) just add the system r/w commands to the end of this install-recovery.sh file.

Attachments

• MSD2INT.zip
    351 bytes · Views: 10,179
Last edited:

Ceelos09

Apr 18, 2011
Thank you! This Mod is greatly appreciated. I'll give it a go once my hangover settles down :p

Sent from my SPH-D700 using xda premium

crossix,

...thanks a bunch for this mod, it works great, I've tested a number of apps and scenarios and so far so good.

I reviewed the original install_recovery.sh and noticed that it's there for some sort of firmware / recovery updates. ...so since we replaced the script I'm wondering if it will prevent future firmware upgrades, or more importantly could it prevent an emergency restore / recovery.

Perhaps merging your script with the original would be beneficial?

...any thoughts on this?

Thanks again for your effort on this, FredT

crossix

Dec 6, 2007
Houston
I don't forsee any issues, unless you get an ota update, then you'll need to redo this mod.

The system runs /system/etc/install-recovery.sh on boot and would normally check the recovery partition for files changed outside of an ota update (ie viruses or cwm). If a file gets changed this script would run at boot and restore it's origional recovery.

Normally in order to get cwm or any other custom recovery to "stick" you would need to delete this file (or delete it's contents) so that your modded recovery wouldn't be overwritten on the next boot.

An OTA update will overwrite the install-recovery.sh file and you may have to follow the above instructions again (or it may even break my mod). I'm still running the origional stock rom (3.2) and haven't tested this mod on the newer versions.

Sent from my MB860 using XDA App

Last edited:

crossix

Dec 6, 2007
Houston
Unfortunatly only fat32 will work, I've tried formatting & mounting the sdcard as ext2, 3 and 4, but couldnt get the tab to mount it automatically.

Reactions: Daxomega007

slayerpsp

Jun 18, 2010
SO CAL
Thank you a million times can finally put all my gameloft games on the sd card without having to delete others.

expose11

Jun 11, 2010
I don't have install_recovery.sh I have a init_goldfish.sh
And the etc folder you are talking about, is it the one in system or the one just under the main root of the device (/etc or /system/etc)? I only bring that up because I thought it odd I had two "almost" identical etc folders!?! One in /system and one under /.
Either way, I don't have a install_recovery.sh file. only the init_goldfish.sh file. Any thoughts on this?

crossix

Dec 6, 2007
Houston
/etc is actually a symlink to /system/etc so they are one in the same.

What Build is your tab running? (find out by tapping the time in the bottom right corner of the screen and then push the little lines on the right and tap system, scroll down to about tablet and look for build number.

m2b999

Nov 26, 2011
Towson
It worked like a charm!!!!

I just have one question, what happens to the files/apps on internal memory? So basically it just swapped it witb external sd?

Sent from my A100 using xda premium

Destron5683

Jun 15, 2010
Awesome mod, this is a life saver. Just the other day found myself having to delete apps to dload GTAIII now I can use my 32GB Sd Card.

Thanks a ton!

bmxrideher

Jan 20, 2009
Seattle
/etc is actually a symlink to /system/etc so they are one in the same.

What Build is your tab running? (find out by tapping the time in the bottom right corner of the screen and then push the little lines on the right and tap system, scroll down to about tablet and look for build number.

I don't have the file under /etc or /system/etc either

Kernel version 2.6.36.3

Build number Acer_A100_1.018.05_COM_GEN2

Edit: I followed the instructions and it WORKED!!!!

Sent from my HTC EVO 3D using xda premium

Last edited:

crossix

Dec 6, 2007
Houston
apparently they are having some success getting this to work with the a500 so assuming you can find a working root method for the a101, this should work with it as well.

wowwashington

Jun 6, 2008
Thank you for this :)

One problem - I needed to move to a larger drive due to Audible - but now that I'm moved over, Audible is complaining "Please insert SD Card" and then exiting! :)

Looks to be more of a Audible thing vs. storage, but if anyone has any thoughts on working around this, that'd be great :)

bmxrideher

Jan 20, 2009
Seattle
OK... Weird thing. I have about 3gb free space in my micro SD card, 2.5gb of real internal memory, but only 880mb free for application space. Is it just me?

avalonreid

Jan 2, 2008
brooklyn
This did not work for me, I follow all your instruction but still nothing, can it be because I have the build.prop mod act, any help.

Sent from my A500 using xda premium

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    ***Warning Dragons Ahead!!***
    Do this at your own risk, it will not void your warrantee but it may make your device unresponsive and cause other issues that I haven't discovered yet! Also, DO NOT at any point attempt to use the unmount sdcard found in your storage settings and DO NOT take your micro sdcard out while your tablet is on, doing these things will cause your apps to fc and potentially loose data. This has been tested only for the Iconia A100 and other devices will probably have different mount points.

It's working great for me but your results may vary, I am not responsible for any damage or problems you might encounter by using this mod (very unlikely that you'll have problems though).

What this mod does:
    Since this particular tablet only has 5.4gb of internal storage, I thought it would be great to use my external sd (which is much larger) to install app data and everything else on. So this mod will dirty swap your External micro sd card with your internal memory and vice versa. By dirty swap I mean that the original mount points are untouched and I've just re-bound the mount points to different locations in the tablet. Not the ideal way of doing it, but it works and since we can't touch our init its just about our only option.

It will also speed up your sdcard's read and possibly write speeds by increasing the sdcard's cache.

Requirments: (things you'll need before doing this mod)
    You'll need to be rooted, have root explorer installed and of course a micro sd card in your tab:

Instructions:

- Download and unzip the attached file and put it in the root of your internal sdcard (/mnt/sdcard)

- Open root explorer and navigate to /mnt/sdcard (if its not already there) tap and hold on the file install_recovery.sh and pick the copy option

- Now navigate to the /etc folder tap the Mount r/w button

- Find the install_recovery.sh file tap and hold it, then select the option rename. Change the name to install_recovery.bak and then tap paste to copy over the new file.

Now look just under the file, you'll see the date and permissions, it should say something like rwxrwxrwx if it does not you'll need to tap and hold the file tap permissions and check all three boxes for read and execute.

Once you've done the above steps reboot and wait about a minute after your tab comes up, goto settings and look at your storage space to see if the internal space size has changed.

To reverse just delete the install_recovery.sh file, rename the backed up one and reboot. If you decide to keep this mod, you'll want to copy the contents of /mnt/external_sd to /mnt/sdcard so you dont loose any of your app data. Also, you'll no longer need GL 2 SD or any other mod to fetch data from your micro sdcard.

Note: if you have problems deleting or writing to /mnt/external_sd after doing this mod, in root explorer goto /mnt press Mount R/W tap and hold on external_sd and choose permissions. Make sure that all boxes for read and write are checked.

You can use this in conjunction with ICS, its been tested and works great (actually improved my bench scores in antutu benchmark). You can merge the system r/w mod with this one to keep your system read /writable (in ICS) just add the system r/w commands to the end of this install-recovery.sh file.
    I don't forsee any issues, unless you get an ota update, then you'll need to redo this mod.

The system runs /system/etc/install-recovery.sh on boot and would normally check the recovery partition for files changed outside of an ota update (ie viruses or cwm). If a file gets changed this script would run at boot and restore it's origional recovery.

Normally in order to get cwm or any other custom recovery to "stick" you would need to delete this file (or delete it's contents) so that your modded recovery wouldn't be overwritten on the next boot.

An OTA update will overwrite the install-recovery.sh file and you may have to follow the above instructions again (or it may even break my mod). I'm still running the origional stock rom (3.2) and haven't tested this mod on the newer versions.

sorry but can not find it!!

could give the link??

---------- Post added at 12:30 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:30 AM ----------

sorry but can not find it!!

could give the link??

http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=29592981&postcount=101
    It is working. The size there won't "visually" increase but technically it did. The data of your apps will now be stored on your 16gb SD card (only the app itself is stored on the real internal storage).

The reason is because apps install to /data which is its own partition, separate from what shows as /sdcard. The app's data is then stored on whatever you have for internal SD, in this case its mapped to your external SD card. For games and other large data apps it becomes very apparent that its using external SD card for its data storage vs internal SD.

So, installing apps will still use the same storage, which is what you see, but the additional storage used will be on your external SD card if this swap is being used instead of your internal SD.

Its a little confusing but any app will use /data for install regardless of this swap being used.

Install app = goes to /data/app
    App downloads more data = goes to /sdcard
    App makes cache or other files = goes to /sdcard

Which sdcard it goes to depends on this swap being used or not.

Tapatalked from my A100 - Kuroikaze B5
    i`m sorry, I have to use a translator, and a few translations go out very badly .... my question is ... already I have the script, in the folder/mnt, now I have to execute the scrip, since I do it?

Install script manager from play store
    Copy the script to /system/etc
    Open script manager app
    Check Browse as root, save
    Browse to /system/etc
    Select install-recovery.sh
    Select Boot and Root options
    Save
    Reboot
    Wait 30-45 seconds after boot and check settings>storage for the swap to show.

Tapatalked from my Galaxy S II - CM10