ATTENTION CANADIAN USERS: Forums for Canadian carriers

Search This thread

evilmonkey1987

Nov 14, 2007
Toronto, Ontario
Hello fellow Canadian GSIII owners: please see below and note which forum you should be looking in for ROMs for your devices:

AT&T forum: SGH-I747 (AT&T, Rogers, Bell, Telus and SaskTel)
T-Mobile forum: SGH-T999 (T-Mobile, Wind, Mobilicity and Videotron)
Sprint forum: SPH-L710 (Sprint only)
Verizon forum: SGH-I535 (Verizon only)

Developers, please put carrier support in the title of your threads. Thank you!

---------------------------------------

Hello XDA,

Can we please get an android development forum for Rogers, Bell, Telus and Wind? Rogers/Bell/Telus phones are SGH-I747M and the Wind version is the SGH-T999, but they all have different basebands and stock ROMs. Trying to put Canadian threads in AT&T and Sprint forums will result in a big mess.

Alternatively, instead of separating by carrier, separate by model number. Keep all the I747 development threads in one forum and T999 threads in another. Then people can put the carrier into the title of the post.

Just something to think about.

Thanks!

Last edited:

Pirateghost

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jul 24, 2010
androidninjas.com
I agree. But AFAIK, the Wind/Mobilicity/Videotron S3 is the same as T-Mobile's, not Sprint's.

and the Rogers is the same as AT&T's

historically Rogers and AT&T have been interchangeable in almost every aspect on all the devices they shared. Rogers uses the exact same frequencies as AT&T, and the devices are the same aside from some minor differences in bloat, lte toggle, and native wifi tether

rail205

Sep 11, 2011
Montreal
What about the Telus, does that fall under at&t also?

Thanks

I agree very hard to follow on what is for which phone, not going to take any chances until things are a little more clear. Still have the old S1 to mess with.

evilmonkey1987

Nov 14, 2007
Toronto, Ontario
What about the Telus, does that fall under at&t also?

Thanks

I agree very hard to follow on what is for which phone, not going to take any chances until things are a little more clear. Still have the old S1 to mess with.

AT&T, Rogers, Bell and Telus have the same phone, the SGH-I747. But just because it's the same hardware does not mean it's the same software. It may or may not have different basebands and certainly has different carrier customizations. As Pirateghost mentioned, AT&T removes some features in its ROM (software), the most important being, at least for me, the ability to tether. So if you flash a rooted AT&T ROM on your Canadian device, it will most likely work but you will lose features(!) That's why we need to be very clear about what carrier each ROM is for. Furthermore, if you flash the wrong baseband (i.e. flash a Rogers baseband on a Bell phone), your phone may not work as a phone or it may connect to the wrong network and you will be charged roaming fees. At the moment, I can see that AT&T has a different baseband version from Bell, but Rogers and Bell seem to have the same baseband version. Are they interchangeable? I have no idea. Anyway, it's better not to mix these things up. That's why separate forums are a great idea.

Last edited:
Reactions: rail205

Jsick

Dec 5, 2010
As a SaskTel customer coming from the international i9000, these forums are very confusing and not very organized. I would definitely support more organization.

TLS2000

Feb 20, 2012
Mississauga
I guarantee that you won't roam on the other carrier if you flash the wrong baseband (Telus/Bell/Rogers). They don't have roaming agreements in place to allow that. That's why you won't get service with Rogers in some areas where Bell does have service.

Jsick

Dec 5, 2010
I guarantee that you won't roam on the other carrier if you flash the wrong baseband (Telus/Bell/Rogers). They don't have roaming agreements in place to allow that. That's why you won't get service with Rogers in some areas where Bell does have service.

That is how it was with the i9000. If I flashed the wrong baseband (for example, a US modem that did not support 850 band), I would just have no reception when I left the city.

ootz0rz

Sep 26, 2010
and the Rogers is the same as AT&T's

historically Rogers and AT&T have been interchangeable in almost every aspect on all the devices they shared. Rogers uses the exact same frequencies as AT&T, and the devices are the same aside from some minor differences in bloat, lte toggle, and native wifi tether

Except this time around, it seems that there is a slight difference between the two in terms of software, and enough so that I've read posts of people having issues when using at&t based stuff on their rogers phones.

Pirateghost

Jul 24, 2010
androidninjas.com
Except this time around, it seems that there is a slight difference between the two in terms of software, and enough so that I've read posts of people having issues when using at&t based stuff on their rogers phones.

I've been here before with the vivid, skyrocket, and the one x. You can ignore anything I say but I HAVE dealt with this stuff before.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Tempott

Aug 24, 2010
So is it safe to say that you can flash the Stock Rom or Custom ROMs for T-Mobile T999 on Wind Mobile's T999V. And at most you lose Roaming and/or a few features?
I already see that there is one or two ROMs that are confirmed for multiple carriers.

simplywinter

May 29, 2012
A dedicated Canadian Forum is a great idea! There is so much information floating around out there with the multiple variations of the sgs3.

TimeKillr

Jun 29, 2012
Montreal
I've been here before with the vivid, skyrocket, and the one x. You can ignore anything I say but I HAVE dealt with this stuff before.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

As a Rogers user (and relatively new to Android) it freaks the hell out of me to flash custom ROMs based on the AT&T version, because I'm sure I *will* lose tethering and the ability to turn off LTE.

That's the stupid thing - it'd be rather simple to have subforums dedicated to the canadian devices, because the software is different (not only the bloatware, but apparently some more stuff too) and the baseband is also different, which could lead to problems down the line, no?

Pirateghost

Jul 24, 2010
androidninjas.com
As a Rogers user (and relatively new to Android) it freaks the hell out of me to flash custom ROMs based on the AT&T version, because I'm sure I *will* lose tethering and the ability to turn off LTE.

That's the stupid thing - it'd be rather simple to have subforums dedicated to the canadian devices, because the software is different (not only the bloatware, but apparently some more stuff too) and the baseband is also different, which could lead to problems down the line, no?

If a rom is done the right way you won't lose any functionality. You can't honestly believe that at&t users don't want those features. I prefer to build all my roms from a rogers base for the simple reason that it is less work for that functionality.

PS. Any rom dev should know better than to force a modem/radio/baseband change on their users.

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk 2

Sword Fish

Dec 15, 2011
Calgary
Sasktel, Bell, Rogers, Telus all have the AT&T version with tethering left in.

That might be true but if you check your firmware versions, they aren't the same as AT&T's.

Also, I have flashed most of the international radio's on my older I9100 and never had a problem in Canada or US when travelling. They may not be customized for that country but they do work.

evilmonkey1987

Nov 14, 2007
Toronto, Ontario
I PMd one of the mods with a link to this thread. There seems to be interest in a forum for Canadian carriers, so let's see if we can make it happen.

By the way thanks to everyone chiming in with their two cents. I am not a developer, and although I've been around xda a while, it was always as a user. I''ve written a guide or two on how to root and flash devices, but it was always based on other people's work. So I am learning all this as I go along.

David Dee

Nov 12, 2010
Toronto
I come from the desire z/g2 forums. G2 is t mobile, The desire z is run on multiple networks globally. Baseband are set by the phone, not the radio (I think that is the same thing as a modern?). On my Desire z running on Rogers, I flashed T-Mobile radios and international radios which worked on Rogers no problem.

Features of a rom are determined by the dev, if you don't like something, flash something else or restore your nandroid backup. Read the op and ask the dev if you are unsure about any features on a Rom.

I would think the only models that should be separated in forums are the international version, totally different processor and maybe Verizon cdma. From a sheer volume of users standpoint, further division is warranted. You think this is bad, wait until Verizon and At&t widely launch, this current setup will be complete chaos.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using XDA Premium HD app

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello fellow Canadian GSIII owners: please see below and note which forum you should be looking in for ROMs for your devices:

AT&T forum: SGH-I747 (AT&T, Rogers, Bell, Telus and SaskTel)
    T-Mobile forum: SGH-T999 (T-Mobile, Wind, Mobilicity and Videotron)
    Sprint forum: SPH-L710 (Sprint only)
    Verizon forum: SGH-I535 (Verizon only)

Developers, please put carrier support in the title of your threads. Thank you!

---------------------------------------

Hello XDA,

Can we please get an android development forum for Rogers, Bell, Telus and Wind? Rogers/Bell/Telus phones are SGH-I747M and the Wind version is the SGH-T999, but they all have different basebands and stock ROMs. Trying to put Canadian threads in AT&T and Sprint forums will result in a big mess.

Alternatively, instead of separating by carrier, separate by model number. Keep all the I747 development threads in one forum and T999 threads in another. Then people can put the carrier into the title of the post.

Just something to think about.

Thanks!
    if it helps you I have a Sasktel I747m and have had no issues flashing Task and Ktoonzes AOKP JB versions so far. I did notice that the about device showed my device as an i747 after flashing.
    I agree. But AFAIK, the Wind/Mobilicity/Videotron S3 is the same as T-Mobile's, not Sprint's.

Indeed it is. I stand corrected.
    CRdroid O/S works good on my old Samsung Galaxy S3 i747

What a bunch of crazy head banging chit. I have a Canadian Samsung Galaxy S III SGH-1747M BMC-I747MVLUFOB3 Bell KitKat 4.4.2.
    All settings and directions do not work with my Sgs3. In service I have diff settings like the old way to unlock, no NW Lock NV Data INITIALLIZ ....... when i Type *#7284# no usb i have modem or pda. Tons of other settings also. My partitions are diff. Most programs for 1747m are diff and don't have right firmware or files for mine. So I search them out online. Almost all sites don't care about it. Tried many. Directions on How To's are diff. Most just say same as ATT's from USA but thats a great way to brick cause settings. files needed, and directions are diff . So I tried to do stuff buy way of apks to unlock or whatever. None works. Only a few like kingroot. None of the unlocks. Even many of the paid unlock sites to get my nck code can't. Xda trys the hardest but even here we are told use Att. After many many hours im told stuff like its because of knox or some other reason. If we had a forum for Canadian threads at least we would be able to save a lot of cells and a lot of grief n headaches. As for me I'm quitting on working on Canadian cells n stuff without better help. I'm retired with small pension but will just pay for everything like unlocking and no more trying to learn roms n stuff. Playing with phone is out. Besides most software thats needed now is all by way of buying anyway. Getting as bad as Corporations are.

I realize this is an old thread. But maybe there are others who still tinker around with this old (circa 2012) Samsung Galaxy S3 i747
    While I am a newbie, I have enjoyed flashing Custom ROM's , from CyanogenMod, thru various versions of Lineage, and now CRdroid.
    Totally free of Google; no Google Play Store, no Google Pay, no Google Framework, no Gapps, no Google spyware, no Google bloatware, no Google tracking etc.
    I download all my apps as APK's which are readily available on the Net ( Google them . . . just kidding! ).
    My older Samsung S3 i747 was a 'd2att' originally locked to Rogers, in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada. Then switched over to MTS (Manitoba Telephone System). Now running on Bell Canada. My replacement is also a Samsung S3 i747, originally running T-Mobile in Arizona, now running on Bell Canada.
    Damn fine phones.
    As a SaskTel customer coming from the international i9000, these forums are very confusing and not very organized. I would definitely support more organization.