Tf700 Random Reboots. Anyone else or just me?

Search This thread

wolfman87

Aug 18, 2009
San Francisco
Return it for a replacement. I get reboots sometimes, usually when I am downloading a large file as well as something else that is reasonably resource intensive. If a factory reset won't fix it, just try a better unit.

pinn___________

Jan 8, 2010
Middlesbrough
Samsung Galaxy S8
i think i have an idea of what is causing the issue. I did a test last night. I have a 32gb fat32 and a 64gb exfat. Both cards have the same data on them. On the 32gb, which is new, i loaded all of my stuff, except movies and music. The device ran great. So i got home, put in the 64gb, no movies and music, works fine. I then transferred several movie files (mkv and mp4) and music to both cards. I put the 32gb back in, went to play a movie in BS player, and it wouldnt play. Music would not play either, using stock player of poweramp. 5 minutes later, it rebooted and got stuck on the logo. I did a reboot, put in my next card. Same thing happened. I removed the movie files from my 32gb, and it went back to working great. I did the same for the 64, and had the same success. I left one mkv on the 32gb and have no issues. I added more than one movie file to the 64 and the issue is there. So i'm guessing that the issue involved the type of files and the amount of files on the memory card. I assume its music and movies, because i have tons of comics on these cards and have no issues reading them. So maybe if people can run similar tests, we can try to figure out why the tablet keeps rebooting.

Guess again. I have loads of comics too and nothing else on my 64gb exFAT card and get reboots. even running it with no sdcard in,it crashes occasionally. Very frustrating, especially showing off your expensive new toy and someone and then....... freeze!

Osteele

Feb 12, 2008
Return it for a replacement. I get reboots sometimes, usually when I am downloading a large file as well as something else that is reasonably resource intensive. If a factory reset won't fix it, just try a better unit.

UPDATE:

Partial copy/paste taken from an email that I received from ASUS this morning:

"Hi,does all of the problems happen after the updating of Jelly Bean?If so,it seems that the problem is with the latest version,would you mind performing wipe data to see whether it has been improved.And we will try our best to fix the problem you met with in the next fota".

Like Microsoft saying: If your problems began with your purchase and installation of Vista, then wait till Windows 7 is released. That should resolve any isuues that you may experiencing.

Wow !!! I'm kinda speechless.

Reactions: Holtzey

jordanmw

Dec 27, 2006
Fort Collins, CO
UPDATE:

"Hi,does all of the problems happen after the updating of Jelly Bean?If so,it seems that the problem is with the latest version,would you mind performing wipe data to see whether it has been improved.And we will try our best to fix the problem you met with in the next fota".

Like Microsoft saying: If your problems began with your purchase and installation of Vista, then wait till Windows 7 is released. That should resolve any isuues that you may experiencing.

I have been communicating with them for the last several weeks about these issues:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1939938

jtrosky

May 8, 2008
UPDATE:

I'm sorry, but what did you expect them to do/say? Did you expect them to come to your house tomorrow and fix the problem personally?

An Asus OTA update is *not* the same as a major Windows upgrade! Asus releases OTA updates fairly often. You also have to pay for major Windows version upgrades, unlike Asus OTA updates, which are 100% completely free. An Asus OTA update is nothing like a major Windows upgrade, like you have suggested.

A more accurate comparison would be like comparing an Asus OTA update to a Windows hotfix...

Again, what you you expect them to do to fix the problem if an OTA update is not acceptable?

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: Osteele

Thats OK

Jul 29, 2012
I'm sorry, but what did you expect them to do/say? Did you expect them to come to your house tomorrow and fix the problem personally?

An Asus OTA update is *not* the same as a major Windows upgrade! Asus releases OTA updates fairly often. You also have to pay for major Windows version upgrades, unlike Asus OTA updates, which are 100% completely free. An Asus OTA update is nothing like a major Windows upgrade, like you have suggested.

A more accurate comparison would be like comparing an Asus OTA update to a Windows hotfix...

Again, what you you expect them to do to fix the problem if an OTA update is not acceptable?

True JT.
Sometimes it seems we forget that Asus markets hundreds of products.
Blanket responses to bugs in products from just about any manufacturer are an industry standard.

IMO if there's enough "piss and moan data" returned for any item most companies just revamp\recreate.
Dangle the "new" device in front of all the gadget reviewers.
Push it off on all of us who have to have the latest thing.
Then jump to the next best whatever comes along.

We must remember it's all marketing and glitter.
It's never about longevity or longtime reliability.

8 months from now all these Infinity tabs will be handed down or tossed in the corner.
...and that's the nature of handheld electronics.

Osteele

Feb 12, 2008
I'm sorry, but what did you expect them to do/say? Did you expect them to come to your house tomorrow and fix the problem personally? No, and that thought is totally absurd.

>> I'm sorry, but what did you expect them to do/say? Did you expect them to come to your house tomorrow and fix the problem personally?
No, and that thought is totally absurd.

>> Again, what you you expect them to do to fix the problem if an OTA update is not acceptable?
So, what do you suggest? Pay now, put up with the reboots, and other abnormalties until an OTA update is available. If, and when! That would be the only obvious solution / remedy because frankly there is no other alternative. BTW, I thank you very much for your input

MartyHulskemper

Jun 5, 2008
>> I'm sorry, but what did you expect them to do/say? Did you expect them to come to your house tomorrow and fix the problem personally?
No, and that thought is totally absurd.

>> Again, what you you expect them to do to fix the problem if an OTA update is not acceptable?
So, what do you suggest? Pay now, put up with the reboots, and other abnormalties until an OTA update is available. If, and when! That would be the only obvious solution / remedy because frankly there is no other alternative. BTW, I thank you very much for your input

Osteele/Peter -- where have you bought your 700? Could you swap it under warranty? This is not normal behavior, and it seems to have cleared up for most either spontaneously or after installing a custom ROM, but you should not feel pressed to take the chance of it not fixing itself automagically.

Do you plan on rooting/unlocking? Which version are you currently running? Sometimes it helps to perform a factory rset or two -- I don't have a explanation not involving black magic, underage Haitian virgins (/bad), snail pubic hair and lots of coconut milk-scented furniture oil, but you could give it a try without a sensible explanation, right? ;) I've had a few random reboots as well, but they seem to have been vanquished by CleanROM -- I haven't tried VPNs yet as I do not use them (my workplace denies every private use of its resource, even under VPN, for at least the normal souls under its workers). I might set one up at home and try, if it can be done with freeware (note to self: check after vacation).

Osteele

Feb 12, 2008
Osteele/Peter -- where have you bought your 700? Could you swap it under warranty? This is not normal behavior, and it seems to have cleared up for most either spontaneously or after installing a custom ROM, but you should not feel pressed to take the chance of it not fixing itself automagically.

Hello again Marty,

As I stated earlier, I did contact the folks at ASUS. They asked that I perform the following. And I quote their tech:

1. Press and hold down “power button” until the system shuts down.
2. Remove the SD card from Eee Pad.
3. Press and hold down “Volume down” button first, and then press and hold down the “Power” button until the screen below appears.
4. Do not press any buttons until the screen below appears.
5. There’s a line “Press <Vol_Up> to execute, <Vol_Down> to cancel wiping data. Press Volume Up button to execute the “Wipe Data”.
6. After the “Wipe Data” process is done, it will reboot automatically. Then Eee Pad should be able to enter the system successfully. If the actions above still do no help,I then suggest you to RMA it to have it repaired.

So I did perform steps 1-5 and the unit appears to be running well. Just for the fun of it, I installed a game that comes ready to be installed from the Tegra Zone. I am not interested in the game, nor do I plan on using the TF700T for gaming anyways. Nonetheless, I installed it. A few seconds in, I get a black screen followed by my home screen where I am asked to enter the swipe pattern that I originally setup. So, something is definitely a little weird. In any case, I will be returning it so I won't be bothering anyone here with this matter again. My apologies for having taken up so much of your time. Thanks to all that came to my assistance. Ireally appreciate it.

Peter

MartyHulskemper

Jun 5, 2008
Hello again Marty,

As I stated earlier, I did contact the folks at ASUS. They asked that I perform the following. And I quote their tech:

1. Press and hold down “power button” until the system shuts down.
2. Remove the SD card from Eee Pad.
3. Press and hold down “Volume down” button first, and then press and hold down the “Power” button until the screen below appears.
4. Do not press any buttons until the screen below appears.
5. There’s a line “Press <Vol_Up> to execute, <Vol_Down> to cancel wiping data. Press Volume Up button to execute the “Wipe Data”.
6. After the “Wipe Data” process is done, it will reboot automatically. Then Eee Pad should be able to enter the system successfully. If the actions above still do no help,I then suggest you to RMA it to have it repaired.

So I did perform steps 1-5 and the unit appears to be running well. Just for the fun of it, I installed a game that comes ready to be installed from the Tegra Zone. I am not interested in the game, nor do I plan on using the TF700T for gaming anyways. Nonetheless, I installed it. A few seconds in, I get a black screen followed by my home screen where I am asked to enter the swipe pattern that I originally setup. So, something is definitely a little weird. In any case, I will be returning it so I won't be bothering anyone here with this matter again. My apologies for having taken up so much of your time. Thanks to all that came to my assistance. Ireally appreciate it.

Peter

Hey, no problem, that's what we're here for (we frequent these fora on a voluntary basis, strangely enough). I'm sorry it doesn't work out for you -- the gaming, oh well... but the VPN goofs I understand are too much of a hassle. Are you going for another 700 or another tablet altogether?

Reactions: Osteele

Jossen

Dec 19, 2012
Hi I am an owner of this 700 tablet for a week now... I've been experiencing spontaneous reboots of the device. The I have no sd card in the device yet, but tried resetting it as described earlier in this thread. I but it just rebooted again. anyone another tip without sending it back?

Thanks
a disappointed user

buhohitr

Nov 30, 2011
Hi I am an owner of this 700 tablet for a week now... I've been experiencing spontaneous reboots of the device. The I have no sd card in the device yet, but tried resetting it as described earlier in this thread. I but it just rebooted again. anyone another tip without sending it back?

Thanks
a disappointed user

Are you pure stock? rooted? unlocked? what firmware version?

Jossen

Dec 19, 2012
Are you pure stock? rooted? unlocked? what firmware version?

Hi sorry was away on holiday, and took my transformer with me. I was using it as a car videoplayer for my kid in the backseat, using BSplayer. Even than the device went dead every now and than, I can`t really find a logic in it though, sometimes it played for an hour and the other time it wouldnt play 5 min before turining off.

To answer you questions, it comes almost right out of the package, so no custom ROM, not rooted, not unlocked..

thanks for the feedback.

originalnabisco

Jan 7, 2012
Honolulu
Random crashes

I have had my TF700 since around the end of August 2012.
It started with ICS, and of course now it has JB.
I am locked, but rooted.

I will just say that I have had random reboot / crash problems since I first purchased this, all the way til now with JB.
It feels completely random, but I have a feeling that it happens more often when the screen is rotating.
Almost everytime it crashes, it suddenly switches to a completely gray screen with a black 1-pixel-width line on the left side, from top to bottom.

It looks something like the attachment I posted.

Has anybody else seen this type of crash? Just to note it doesn't happen very often, maaaybe once a week or once every two weeks.

Attachments

• gray.png
    gray.png
    2.9 KB · Views: 105

_that

Recognized Developer / Inactive RC
Oct 2, 2012
It feels completely random, but I have a feeling that it happens more often when the screen is rotating.
Almost everytime it crashes, it suddenly switches to a completely gray screen with a black 1-pixel-width line on the left side, from top to bottom.

Has anybody else seen this type of crash? Just to note it doesn't happen very often, maaaybe once a week or once every two weeks.

Yes, this is a known problem, see here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1798217

Songok

Jan 11, 2013
Hi All,

Sadly my first post in the TF700 forum will be a negative one :(

Got mine about a month ago and have started seeing the reboots. 3 so far this week. totally stock JB, locked and unrooted
At least one of the reboots was while using chrome in portrait.
Screen went dark as described earlier and then reboot.

Very disappointed that this issue has seemingly been going on for months. IF it is a software issue surely it should have been fixed ages ago.

Have discouraged 2 others from buying a tf700 in the last week because of this prob.

Come on Asus, at least acknowledge the problem exists.

Songok

jtrosky

May 8, 2008
Man, does this sound familiar - I originally owned the TF101, which was a great device when I got it (with Honeycomb). THen Asus upgraded it to ICS and lots of folks had continuous random reboots (and still do to this day). Basically, Asus left us with a "broken" device and then just quit supporting it (no further firmware updates). I eventually found a custom ROM that made my device somewhat stable, but it certainly left a bad taste in my mouth with Asus.

I sure hope that they do not repeat the same thing with the TF700. I have yet to have a single random-reboot on my TF700, but I've run a custom ROM for a while now.

sbdags

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Jun 24, 2007
Kenilworth, Coventry
OnePlus 9 Pro
Man, does this sound familiar - I originally owned the TF101, which was a great device when I got it (with Honeycomb). THen Asus upgraded it to ICS and lots of folks had continuous random reboots (and still do to this day). Basically, Asus left us with a "broken" device and then just quit supporting it (no further firmware updates). I eventually found a custom ROM that made my device somewhat stable, but it certainly left a bad taste in my mouth with Asus.

I sure hope that they do not repeat the same thing with the TF700. I have yet to have a single random-reboot on my TF700, but I've run a custom ROM for a while now.

+1 I eventually sold my TF101 but struggled with sleep of death issues. I had to put a custom rom on it so the new user would be happy as Asus never fixed it. :(

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I used to have them but after a limiting background processes to 4 I have had zero reboots. Also games don't crash anymore. There is something seriously messed up with the memory allocation.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using XDA Premium HD app
    Certainly at the beginning of my story I did try factory resets etc., following asus support recommendations.
    Which, while I'm at it, have really impressed me over time with their engineering soundness :)

I mean, apparently mine is not an isolated case. There is even some consistency in symptoms (the screen state). The product is sold for quite some time. They must have quite good statistics. They should have some understanding of the root cause, at least whether it's hardware or software related...

If it's software -- why recommend exchanging units/bringing to the service -- just admit it is there and ask for patience until they fix it with updates.
    But one should really concentrate effort to fix such things, not letting them to be there for months... If it's hardware -- why recommend doing factory resets, run only supplied applications, etc. -- just run massive exchange/recall without wasting customer's and their time. If they cannot solve it -- return money to everybody/file for bankruptcy/whatever :)

Which is too bad, of course, since otherwise I really like the tablet. That's why I'm still using it -- as long as the issue is quite rare, and I do not use the unit for anything critical it's perfectly usable...

Oh, one support person did write me that their communications with the headquarters was really poor, but I thought over few months this could've been addressed.

How one can carry the business this way and survive is a miracle to me :)

---------- Post added at 11:46 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:06 AM ----------

While we are at XDA, I have a question -- did anybody try non-ASUS firmware with TF700 and does anybody have any statistics related to the "freeze/reboot" before/after (e.g., was observing/not observing, or was observing/still observing, frequency, etc.)

Thanks!
    I use the TF700 in 70/30 landscape/portrait. I didn't have these random reboots at first, but they started showing up after a failed try at data@sd, and I believe my microSD is acting up. Yesterday and the day before the tablet would reboot after about 15 mnutes of video playing from that card. I reformatted it yesterday -- from NTFS to FAT32 -- and it has been acting nicely so far. No guarantees this is the issue, but I do hope this was my issue. ;) They have been mightily annoying.
    I mean, apparently mine is not an isolated case. There is even some consistency in symptoms (the screen state). The product is sold for quite some time. They must have quite good statistics. They should have some understanding of the root cause, at least whether it's hardware or software related...

The problem is hard to reproduce, it's plausible that even they don't understand it, especially as their HQ doesn't seem to be interested in feedback from customers or keeping their support staff informed.

I really like your scientific approach to analyze the problem, XDA needs more members doing that (not only for this specific issue, but in general).

Yes, this is a known problem, see here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1798217