[APP] Change Start Menu Icons (CSMI) v1.4b - UPDATED 17/01/2010

Search This thread

light_n_roses

Oct 25, 2009
yea thanks for the answear but I already know that ! Indeed inside the start menu the icons are actually changed but if I add them to the manila wuick link on the home screen it showed me the old icon even if I have deleted the proglauncher folder inside the manila temp !

DorkyDev

Aug 22, 2008
Atlanta
Google Pixel 6a
Hi guys.
First time I make an app publicly available for windows mobile.. This program lets you change icons for programs in start menu and then, of course, in the quick links on the home screen. You can associate any PNG image (with transparency also) to any program in start menu: works both for applications AND folders. You can also reset* the original icons if you wish.

maqQz.png
gXErt.png
RftPB.png

Changelog

• Version 1.4 - Current
    • New: Import/Export icon configuration: dumps to an XML file all the icons that have been changed, so you can reload them back later.. or after flashing a new rom :) Remember to leave the csmi_exported.xml on the root folder of your MicroSD card (if you don't have an SD card, put it instead in the root of your device).
    • New: In the list are now shown only the items actually present in the start menu, so you should get much less "phantom" icons on bad cooked roms (when the cooker adds an item, then removes it in the start menu but forgets to clean the registry :p)
    • New: Main icon list now scrolls up/down instead of left/right
    • New: When you are browsing for new icons, you can see the name of the application on the upper section of the dialog box. So many times I forgot which icon I was changing, it really pissed me off.. but not anymore! :)
    • New/Fix in 1.4a: Added an option to not filter icons.. tell me if this solves some problems!
    • Fix in 1.4b: Some localization problem solved.. should prevent errors during CSMI startup! Can't test since I've only got a WWE Rom :( Please report feedback! Thanks!
  • Version 1.3
    • New: OpenFileDialogEx dropped in favor of standard Microsoft.WindowsMobile.Forms.SelectPictureDialog: that's what you have been waiting for.. finally image preview during icon selection!
    • New: CSMI now remembers last used folder :)
  • Version 1.2
    • New: CSMI now forces HTC Sense icon cache to be updated when necessary: should solve some annoying problems :) Once an icon has been updated, just remove from HTC Home and re-add it!
    • New: Updated icon - up 128x128 pixel resolution based on drik's icon pack. The icon is very similar but I had to do it myself in order to increase resolution up to 128x128 (his was 90x90 and according to tnyynt the best resolution for rounded icon is 128)
  • Version 1.1
    • Bugfix: If there is already a backup-ed icon, it wont be overwritten after changing twice the same icon.
    • Bugfix: There should be no more problems with resetting icons to their original state.
    • New: Apply and Reset buttons are enabled only when necessary.
  • Version 1.0
    • Initial Release

Known Bugs

• Version 1.3
    • While browsing for PNG images, transparency isn't rendered correctly (black background). That's Microsoft's fault. Even HTC's Album has the same problem. In a future release I will have to write a custom OpenFileDialog Class perfectly suited for this task only. But for now I'll just stick with it, works well and it's FAST!
  • Version 1.2
    • New icon's rounded corner are not as rounded as htc home screen's. This results in some blank space at the corners (ONLY IN HOME SCREEN). Will be fixed in the next release.
    • About menu doesn't work :p
  • Version 1.0
    • Reset functionality does not work very well at the moment: does work in most cases but if a start menu item didn't have an icon associated with it in the registry then you CAN'T reset original icon using CSMI v1.0 - you have to manually remove the application's registry key value "Icon"
    • If you change more than once any icon you won't be able to restore it's original aspect :( Sorry guys, I'll update the app ASAP.

What if CSMI can't apply an icon?
  1. Delete all files located in \Application Data\HTC\ProgLauncher
  2. Change that icon with CSMI
  3. Remove the application icon from the homescreen
  4. Just add back it back in Sense homescreen.. that's it!
That, however, applies only to HTC Sense: if you want Windows Mobile Start Menu icon to be updated (this applies to v1.2+ too), just soft-reset your phone!

Update!!
I've found a bug/feature in manila which prevents some icons to be changed.
Since many users were complaining about not being able to change some icons I've started investigating the problem and found that if you try to use a custom icon which have the same filename of one of the images found in \Windows then Manila will always load that instead of your customized one.

In order to easily fix the problem, just rename your icon :)

This bug affects ONLY manila, therefore in the start menu everything will look fine BUT in the Homescreen you will always have the original icon!

Download Links
--> Download the latest version here [v1.4b] <--

--> Dinik's Icon Set (HQ 128x128) <--
--> Drik's Icon Pack (SQ 90x90) <--
--> Zenkinz's Folder Icons <--

If you like my work and want to offer me a beer..
Does this allow you to change the start flag as well? In your screenshots you show 2 different ones a white flag then a blue orb.

g.andy

Dec 21, 2010
Catania
Hi guys.
First time I make an app publicly available for windows mobile.. This program lets you change icons for programs in start menu and then, of course, in the quick links on the home screen. You can associate any PNG image (with transparency also) to any program in start menu: works both for applications AND folders. You can also reset* the original icons if you wish.

maqQz.png
gXErt.png
RftPB.png

Changelog

• Version 1.4 - Current
    • New: Import/Export icon configuration: dumps to an XML file all the icons that have been changed, so you can reload them back later.. or after flashing a new rom :) Remember to leave the csmi_exported.xml on the root folder of your MicroSD card (if you don't have an SD card, put it instead in the root of your device).
    • New: In the list are now shown only the items actually present in the start menu, so you should get much less "phantom" icons on bad cooked roms (when the cooker adds an item, then removes it in the start menu but forgets to clean the registry :p)
    • New: Main icon list now scrolls up/down instead of left/right
    • New: When you are browsing for new icons, you can see the name of the application on the upper section of the dialog box. So many times I forgot which icon I was changing, it really pissed me off.. but not anymore! :)
    • New/Fix in 1.4a: Added an option to not filter icons.. tell me if this solves some problems!
    • Fix in 1.4b: Some localization problem solved.. should prevent errors during CSMI startup! Can't test since I've only got a WWE Rom :( Please report feedback! Thanks!
  • Version 1.3
    • New: OpenFileDialogEx dropped in favor of standard Microsoft.WindowsMobile.Forms.SelectPictureDialog: that's what you have been waiting for.. finally image preview during icon selection!
    • New: CSMI now remembers last used folder :)
  • Version 1.2
    • New: CSMI now forces HTC Sense icon cache to be updated when necessary: should solve some annoying problems :) Once an icon has been updated, just remove from HTC Home and re-add it!
    • New: Updated icon - up 128x128 pixel resolution based on drik's icon pack. The icon is very similar but I had to do it myself in order to increase resolution up to 128x128 (his was 90x90 and according to tnyynt the best resolution for rounded icon is 128)
  • Version 1.1
    • Bugfix: If there is already a backup-ed icon, it wont be overwritten after changing twice the same icon.
    • Bugfix: There should be no more problems with resetting icons to their original state.
    • New: Apply and Reset buttons are enabled only when necessary.
  • Version 1.0
    • Initial Release

Known Bugs

• Version 1.3
    • While browsing for PNG images, transparency isn't rendered correctly (black background). That's Microsoft's fault. Even HTC's Album has the same problem. In a future release I will have to write a custom OpenFileDialog Class perfectly suited for this task only. But for now I'll just stick with it, works well and it's FAST!
  • Version 1.2
    • New icon's rounded corner are not as rounded as htc home screen's. This results in some blank space at the corners (ONLY IN HOME SCREEN). Will be fixed in the next release.
    • About menu doesn't work :p
  • Version 1.0
    • Reset functionality does not work very well at the moment: does work in most cases but if a start menu item didn't have an icon associated with it in the registry then you CAN'T reset original icon using CSMI v1.0 - you have to manually remove the application's registry key value "Icon"
    • If you change more than once any icon you won't be able to restore it's original aspect :( Sorry guys, I'll update the app ASAP.

What if CSMI can't apply an icon?
  1. Delete all files located in \Application Data\HTC\ProgLauncher
  2. Change that icon with CSMI
  3. Remove the application icon from the homescreen
  4. Just add back it back in Sense homescreen.. that's it!
That, however, applies only to HTC Sense: if you want Windows Mobile Start Menu icon to be updated (this applies to v1.2+ too), just soft-reset your phone!

Update!!
I've found a bug/feature in manila which prevents some icons to be changed.
Since many users were complaining about not being able to change some icons I've started investigating the problem and found that if you try to use a custom icon which have the same filename of one of the images found in \Windows then Manila will always load that instead of your customized one.

In order to easily fix the problem, just rename your icon :)

This bug affects ONLY manila, therefore in the start menu everything will look fine BUT in the Homescreen you will always have the original icon!

Download Links
--> Download the latest version here [v1.4b] <--

--> Dinik's Icon Set (HQ 128x128) <--
--> Drik's Icon Pack (SQ 90x90) <--
--> Zenkinz's Folder Icons <--

If you like my work and want to offer me a beer..

hi, the program is fantastic, but I doesn't succeed in changing the icons of the menu' formulations (connections, bluetooth, clocks and notices, personal...)
As I do, I have ROM 1.66 original

g.andy

Dec 21, 2010
Catania
hi, the program is fantastic, but I doesn't succeed in changing the icons of the menu' formulations (connections, bluetooth, clocks and notices, personal...)
As I do, I have ROM 1.66 original

per favore, aiuto, il programma non permette di modificare l'icona del bluetooth, batteria g-sensor ecc...., come faccio

kruegarz

Apr 17, 2010
Thanks for that super duper fast reply.. and as u suggested, i tried it and it works.. awesomely.. WM 6.1 ? its a dark ages OS butwhat i heard is WM 6.5 are not recommended for HTC Touch HD T8282 as it may has a few lagging, unbalanced+ unstable issue. that is if im not mistaken .. Correct me if i'm wrong eh. .. :)

Anyway, thanks again ..

P/S : if u cud point me into the right direction to upgrade to WM 6.5, that is most appreciated .. . +

hgalanos

Jun 10, 2010
Sydney
Hey guys, I used this, followed theinstructions and it seems to have worked except for the facebook icon.

I have done everythng I can, the facebook icon does not change.

I have official 314 ROM, any ideas? Thanks as it is VERY annoying.

jsmccabe78

May 16, 2008
Hey guys, I used this, followed theinstructions and it seems to have worked except for the facebook icon.

I have done everythng I can, the facebook icon does not change.

I have official 314 ROM, any ideas? Thanks as it is VERY annoying.

have you tried:
01. Prefer clearing HTC Sense's icon cache.
Go to your Device's \Application Data\HTC\ProgLauncher Folder and delete all the *.bmg files inside. These are icon caches that will be recreated upon next boot.
03. Delete All Old Icons from the Quick Links Menu in Manila.
04. Restart

hgalanos

Jun 10, 2010
Sydney
Thank you for your reply, yes I have cleared the cache *.bmp files.

However I am not sure what you mean by 'deleting the old manila icons'.

What is this, and how do I do it.

Find it very starange that only facebook doesn't change.

Maybe facebook icon has a different name to my qtc files.

Do you know what the original facebook icon name is?

jsmccabe78

May 16, 2008
i was just copying what dinik wrote in his helpful faq.
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=639163

in csmi have you been able to switch the icon? have you tried jwmd?

i don't know the name of the icon; it will be in the \windows folder if you want to take a look.

i would try copying the .lnk in the start menu and try changing that. not sure what dinik meant by quick links menu in manila.

hgalanos

Jun 10, 2010
Sydney
I installed JWMD and tried changing the icon, it changes, but only in the start menu.

I also did a 'clear manila cache' using the tool in JWDM. Nothing.

ONLY the facebook icon refuses to change.

If you are as fussy as me, you will understand this is a HUGE pain in the BUTT. Looks U G L Y.

I hope there is a solution, I can't be the only person with a 314 ROM that cannot change the icon. Surely.

jsmccabe78

May 16, 2008
i am that anal too so i feel your pain...

did you try copying the lnk in the start menu and name it something else? like fb? and change the new lnk's icon? i would try that - can't hurt.

(and no you are not the only one with this problem, but i don't remember seeing a solution...)

hgalanos

Jun 10, 2010
Sydney
[Resolved]

Hey guys, I have good news. I haev worked out the problem.

So for some reason, this only affects the latest version of Facebook, which is available from Windows Marketplace.

To fix the issue, change your icon using JWMD, CSMI SK Icon Manager, or whatever you prefer. Clear cache (which is to delete the *.bmg from proglauncher).

Then, from thw Windows directory, copy the Facebook.ink file to Windows\Start Menu\Programs. Restart the phone, all done.

This will overwrite the changed icon, with the default icon. After a reboot, you are sweet.

I just tested this 10 mins ago, and perfect. Thank god, I no longer have a stupid icon sticking out like a sore thumb.

Thank you for yoru assistance in trying to resolve it.

beautyangel

May 13, 2007
Orion deep far in the Galaxy
Bugs found, try to change icons like, youtube, palringo, opera and my own hand made icon 80X80 png, while changing the pics, just got some blank image, some icons working like messaging, rss feed.

Good luck bro, we all waiting a new release or bugless one.

Even i delete the bmp files, nothing to do................:(

MIR MOHIB

Mar 21, 2011
hey i am using 1.4 i don't know what to do when i click on CSMI then a list appears then wt to doo plzzzzzzzz helpppp
i m using qtek 9100 wm 5