Search This thread

khh7112

Aug 16, 2011
Fort Wayne, IN
C:\Users\khhis>set
ALLUSERSPROFILE=C:\ProgramData
APPDATA=\\TWShares\TWDesktopMyDocs\khhis\Application Data

Found the files in:
\\TWSHARES\TWDesktopMyDocs\khhis\Application Data\NotesForExchange Outlook AddIn

What should I do next?

Hundera

Oct 3, 2006
Prague
C:\Users\khhis>set
ALLUSERSPROFILE=C:\ProgramData
APPDATA=\\TWShares\TWDesktopMyDocs\khhis\Application Data

Found the files in:
\\TWSHARES\TWDesktopMyDocs\khhis\Application Data\NotesForExchange Outlook AddIn

What should I do next?

You have appdir on shared folder - maybe that's the problem. Let try to install it manually
0, stop MS outlook

1, copy ExchangeNotes.dll to c:. Directory is up to you.

2, in this directory run
Code:
C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v4.0.30319\RegAsm.exe /codebase ExchangeNotes.dll /tlb:ExchangeNotes.tlb
File ExchangeNotes.tlb should be created.

3, edit registry
Code:
HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office\Outlook\Addins\ExchangeNotes.Connect
 "Description": "Exchange Notes for Android"
 "FriendlyName": "Exchange Notes"
 "LoadBehavior": 3 (DWORD)
4, start MS outlook.

If it helps, I will publish it as alternate manual installation.

khh7112

Aug 16, 2011
Fort Wayne, IN
1. I created a setup.bat and put the commands to run
C:\Users\khhis\AppData\Roaming\NotesForExchange_Outlook_AddIn>setup

C:\Users\khhis\AppData\Roaming\NotesForExchange_Outlook_AddIn>C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v4.0.30319\RegAsm.exe /codebase ExchangeNotes.dll /tlb:Exchange
Notes.tlb
Microsoft (R) .NET Framework Assembly Registration Utility 4.0.30319.1
Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation 1998-2004. All rights reserved.

Types registered successfully
Assembly exported to 'C:\Users\khhis\AppData\Roaming\NotesForExchange_Outlook_Ad
dIn\ExchangeNotes.tlb', and the type library was registered successfully

C:\Users\khhis\AppData\Roaming\NotesForExchange_Outlook_AddIn>

Looks like it all registred.

2. I then made the changes with Regedit, and set to 3.

3. Started outlook, and still no luck

khh7112

Aug 16, 2011
Fort Wayne, IN
Note: The outlook plug-ins setup still says there was a com loading issue (runtime error).
In outlook if I try to add the plug-in manually, (I assume thats the ExchangeNotes.dll), it says its not a valid exchange plug-in.

Last edited:

Hundera

Oct 3, 2006
Prague
Note: The outlook plug-ins setup still says there was a com loading issue (runtime error).
In outlook if I try to add the plug-in manually, (I assume thats the ExchangeNotes.dll), it says its not a valid exchange plug-in.

Hi, I think that it can't be added manually, because it is .NET ddl. It need to be registered using regasm. But I have older outlook, so can't test adding plugin manually.

Please check if it isn't in disabled items (under help menu in outlook 2007) and try to enable it.

btw. Do you have this directory?
c:\Windows\assembly\GAC\Microsoft.Office.Interop.Outlook\
if not, maybe this could help
http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=3508

compretail

Aug 23, 2011
Hi,

I found the directory with the DLL, but there was no TLB.

When trying to create the TLB file using the instructions above, we get:

RegAsm : error RA0000 : Could not load file or assembly 'Extensibility, Version=7.0.3300.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Aaron

Hundera

Oct 3, 2006
Prague
Hi,

I found the directory with the DLL, but there was no TLB.

When trying to create the TLB file using the instructions above, we get:

RegAsm : error RA0000 : Could not load file or assembly 'Extensibility, Version=7.0.3300.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Aaron

Please, put file from this archive to same directory as dll and run regasm again. Hopefully it help...

Attachments

• extensibility.zip
    2.1 KB · Views: 615
Reactions: compretail

compretail

Aug 23, 2011
Hi,

Yes, that worked. Add-in shows up in Outlook under the COM add-ins area now and is checked. Do you have to do anything else in outlook besides opening it?

Where on the phone do you see these notes show up?

Thanks,

Aaron

Hundera

Oct 3, 2006
Prague
Hi,

Yes, that worked. Add-in shows up in Outlook under the COM add-ins area now and is checked. Do you have to do anything else in outlook besides opening it?

Where on the phone do you see these notes show up?

Thanks,

Aaron
fine, I will add this dll into installer.

On android device just install application (manually or from android market) and start it. Notes should be there (after calendar is synchronized with exchange)

compretail

Aug 23, 2011
Hi,

The user installed the android application and chose the Exchange option when prompted.

I am not familiar with Android (not having one in my hands), where in the Android will the user find the notes? Is there a notes area? In the calendar area in a notes category?

Also, can the events created in Outlook in the year 2048 be seen as a diagnostic step? If I view all events should I see them or are they hidden somehow?

Thanks,

Aaron

tipoeme

Aug 23, 2011
could you plz post the .tlb on the forum because i can create it by your solution , but i use
C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\RegAsm.exe /codebase "C:\Documents and Settings\"myname"\Application Data\NotesForExchange Outlook AddIn\ExchangeNotes.dll" /tlb:"Exchange Notes.tlb"

and im not sure that V2.0.50727 is good for this ,
i use it because i don t find
v4.0.30319\ on my computer

perhaps you can explain me

Edit

When i synchronize i find all my note a the end of february 2036 but i didnt find anything on my outlook notes

what can i do to run well

TY

Last edited:

Hundera

Oct 3, 2006
Prague
could you plz post the .tlb on the forum because i can create it by your solution , but i use
C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\RegAsm.exe /codebase "C:\Documents and Settings\"myname"\Application Data\NotesForExchange Outlook AddIn\ExchangeNotes.dll" /tlb:"Exchange Notes.tlb"

and im not sure that V2.0.50727 is good for this ,
i use it because i don t find
v4.0.30319\ on my computer

perhaps you can explain me

Edit

When i synchronize i find all my note a the end of february 2036 but i didnt find anything on my outlook notes

what can i do to run well

TY

Hi, if regasm was succesfull and you have your notes in appointments at february 2036, Oulook add-in is ok.
Now, using standard exchange-android synchronization, it should be copied to your device as any other appointment.
I you can't see it in Notes on android device, check
- if you have turned on synchronization of calendar
- in notes, press menu/"select calendar" and select calendar, that is synchronized with your exchange.

Hundera

Oct 3, 2006
Prague
Hi,

The user installed the android application and chose the Exchange option when prompted.

I am not familiar with Android (not having one in my hands), where in the Android will the user find the notes? Is there a notes area? In the calendar area in a notes category?

Also, can the events created in Outlook in the year 2048 be seen as a diagnostic step? If I view all events should I see them or are they hidden somehow?

Thanks,

Aaron

Hi, as diagnostics, check calendar in outlook at 29th february 2036. If there are appointments for yout notes, Outlook addin works fine.

On android device, search for application "Notes for exchange" (somewhere in list of all applications) and start it. There you should see your notes.

Reactions: compretail

compretail

Aug 23, 2011
Hi,

Ok, android side component seems to be working fine. If we create a note it shows up in the calendar 2/29/2036.

Problem is the outlook side - When we look at the addins, it says:

Load Behavior: Not Loaded. A runtime error occurred during the loading of the COM Add-in.

Are there other logs I can review or get information from?

Thanks,

Aaron

ScottVW14

Aug 28, 2011
Hundera - Great app!

I used it on my business phone, with MS exchange, and it works great. Thanks!

I have now tried it on my personal android phone without MS exchange. Instead of my Outlook calendar synching with MS exchange, I'm using Google Sync, to sync my Outlook calendar with my gmail calendar and my gmail calendar with the calendar on my phone. The calendar sync is working fine. Your Outlook add-in loaded fine and Notes for Exchange did too. But, I'm only getting one-way synching of notes from my phone to Outlook. If I create or modify a note in Outlook, it does not sync back to the phone. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Scott

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    On android phone I miss synchronization of Tasks and Notes with MS Exchange. For Tasks synchronization, there are some (mostly paid) applications. But nothing for notes (without sending notes to third-party server). So I created one...

Notes For Exchange​

Notes For Exchange is application to synchronize notes between Android and MS Exchange. This application will NOT store your Notes to some third-party server. It uses standard exchange synchronization of Appointments.
    How it works?

“Notes for Exchange” has two parts:

* Outlook Add-in (NotesForExchange_x.zip), that will synchronized your notes with calendar appointments. It creates items at end of February 2036, so it will not collide with your standard events. Using standard Exchange synchronization, these are synchronized with your android phone.​

* Android application (ExchangeNotes_x.apk), that displays these special “Appointment” as Notes. Also allows you to edit and delete them.​

Android application can be used without Outlook add-in with any other calendar (e.g. gmail). In that case, it’s just simple notes application that stores notes into your calendar.

During testing and usage of this application, no data were lost. But backup of Notes and Appointment is strongly recommended.

This software is provided "as-is," without any express or implied warranty. In no event shall the author be held liable for any damages arising from the use of this software.

UPDATED 2012-06-11
    Published on android market (v 1.7)
    Notes for Exchange site
    Android Market

Current version 1.7

version 0.5 (and above) is not compatible with 0.3 (and bellow)
    When upgrading to 0.5(or above) from 0.3 (and bellow)
    - synchronize all notes before upgrade. All notes created/updated on device and not synchronized to outlook will be lost!!!
    - update both part - outlook addin and android application

change-log:
    APK - current version 1.7
    Outlook Add-in - current version 0.7
    v 1.7
    - <html> notes
    - new icon
    v 1.6
    - fixed crash on ICS
    - fixed creating new notes on device
    - fixed shortening very long notes
    v 1.4
    - fixed start on samsung galaxy nexus
    - support for android 1.6
    - minor layout fixes
    v 1.3
    - saved position of notes list and expanded folds
    - localization - swedish (thanks to iorx)
    v 1.2
    - fixed lost of actual category after search
    - localization - de(thanks to hermann17), cz
    v 1.1
    - fixed forced close in folded view
    v 1.0
    - folded by category
    - few bugfixes
    v 0.9
    - fixed bug with forced close
    v 0.8
    - fixed uncategorized filter
    - simple settings of colors and text sizes
    v 0.7
    - uncategorized in filter
    - search in notes
    v 0.6
    - support for categories
    v 0.5
    - synchronization process rewrited
    - moved to end of February 2036
    v 0.3
    - APK - layout for large screens
    - Outlook - logs into users temp dir
    - Outlook - fixed date format (causing duplicity)
    - Outlook - ignoring non standard notes
    v 0.2
    - Outlook - fixed synchronization after hibernation
    Thanks for all, who tested and reports issues/sugestions
    Any feedback welcome...

Troubleshooting
    There are no notes visible in android application
    1, In MS outlook, look into calendar at 29.2.2036.
    -> If there are some appointments, outlook addin is working fine
    -> If not, outlook is not installed correctly. Check log file located at
    Code:
    Vista,W7: c:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Temp\ExchangeNotes.log  
     XP: c:\Documents and settings\<username>\Local Settings\Temp\ExchangeNotes.log
    - if log file is missing, add-in is not installed at all. Try manual installation (see below)

2, On android device, check calendar at 29.2.2036
    -> if there's no appointments, there is problem with calendar synchronization (probably unrelated to this application)
    -> if there are appointments, check in android app, if coreect calendar is selected in settings.

Manual installation of outlook addin
    - unpack outlookAddin.zip to any directory in your PC
    - rename ExchangeNotes.dl_ to ExchangeNotes.dll
    - in this directory, run command
    Code:
    c:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.<ver. number>\RegAsm.exe  ExchangeNotes.dll /tlb:ExchangeNotes.tlb /codebase
    - if there is following error: "Could not load file or assembly Extensibility", add this dll into same directory and run again.
    - import addin.reg to you registry
    - (re)start ms outlook

Manual installation on Win 7 64bit system with Outlook 2010 - thanks to saratv

Manual installation on Win8.1 (64 bit) , ms outlook standard 2010 (32 bit) - thanks to p.smurf
    Win 7 64 bit Outlook 2010 - working method

After some trial and error, I was able to install and start the outlook add in in a Win 7 64bit system with Outlook 2010. The automatic install will not work. The manual steps outlined in post #2 did not work either. Following manual installation instructions, the add-in would not start and would be automatically be removed from start.

Here is what worked for me:
    1. Download and install the add-in in from #1.
    2. Go to C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\NotesForExchange Outlook AddIn
    3. Run the command c:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v4.0.xxxxx\RegAsm.exe /codebase ExchangeNotes.dll /tlb:Exchange (substituting the proper .NET version that installed). Note the Framework64, not "Framework" as specified in post#2.
    3. Download the zip from post#2 and just run the .reg file in that zip.
    4. Quit (completely exit) Outlook and restart.

The above is a combination of instructions from OP and a few other posts. Note that the .dll in the zip file from #2 would not work on my 64bit system. But the dll that got installed via the installer in to the directory mentioned above in #2 did.

Hope this helps some one.

Thanks to Hundera for coming up with an ingenious solution for Exchange notes.

SV
    Hi,
    I'm very new in android world. I've used WM for a lots of years.
    Very good workaround for notes itens. I've a Xperia Neo and after installing the aplication for Outlook ( work well), how can I install the 2nd file for my android phone.
    Tank you.
    Antonio

Hi, published on adroid market, so you can download it from there
    exchangenotes
    added support for categories - filtering, editing.
    You can't add your own category. Only use existing. Maybe in some future release.

Nearest TO-DO:
    - search in notes
    - customizable layout
    - publish on android market