General **What phone should I buy next?** -- Not sure what device to buy? Ask here!

Search This thread

KidCarter93

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2012
Coventry, UK
Huawei P Smart+ 2019
Redmi 7A
Hi everyone,

This thread is a continuation of this thread.

This is here so you can discuss what your next phone/tablet should be, if you're not sure what to pick.

Also, if you need advice as to which device is better than another, then feel free to ask those questions in here aswell.

This is an attempt to clear out all the similar threads being created around these forums.

*NOTE* I will be requesting thread maintenance as and when it is needed, to remove any SPAM comments

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the alternative, but isn't the camera of the P9 superior than the Honor 8? :confused: Plus I like the metal body of the P9 :p
That could be an issue, according to the specs:

P9: Dual 12 MP, f/2.2, 27 mm, Leica optics, phase detection autofocus, dual-LED (dual tone) flash

Honor 8: Dual 12 MP, f/2.2, 35mm, laser autofocus, dual-LED (dual tone) flash

But it seems like the P9 is a little better than the Honor 8. See for yourself.
GSMArena P9 Camera review
GSMArena Honor 8 Camera review

Of course if you like the metal more, which I can't disagree with, glass is not all that good on a mobile, but I just love the pretty blue of the H8. :)

iWrecktor

Sep 9, 2016
Hi guys,
I'm thinking about buying a new smartphone. My few requirements are:
1. Less than 5.5inch screen.
2. Atleast 720p HD.
3. 4G/LTE with all frequency bands support.
4. Minimum 2GB RAM.
5. Above average camera.
6. Good battery life.
7. Can be Rooted and has great Dev Support on XDA (Cyanogem, custom Roms etc.)

I was using Galaxy S5. Gave it to my grandfather. Miss it and still love it tbh.

Now using Iphone 5s (cousin's spare). Need to buy a new phone by the end of next month.

My budget is 400$ or less. Can be used for average gaming (medium to high end games) but more browsing..shoots..mails..productivity and customizations.
So please help.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

aviralrstg

Jun 10, 2015
Hi guys,
I'm thinking about buying a new smartphone. My few requirements are:
1. Less than 5.5inch screen.
2. Atleast 720p HD.
3. 4G/LTE with all frequency bands support.
4. Minimum 2GB RAM.
5. Above average camera.
6. Good battery life.
7. Can be Rooted and has great Dev Support on XDA (Cyanogem, custom Roms etc.)

I was using Galaxy S5. Gave it to my grandfather. Miss it and still love it tbh.

Now using Iphone 5s (cousin's spare). Need to buy a new phone by the end of next month.

My budget is 400$ or less. Can be used for average gaming (medium to high end games) but more browsing..shoots..mails..productivity and customizations.
So please help.

Thanks in advance!
Could you mention your budget and performance requirements (average or excellent for heavy gaming etc.)? Just edit your previous post.
Budget phones: Motorola has some great phones like Moto G4 or Moto E3 Power. If Xiaomi is available, then try Redmi note 3/4. Also consider Honor 6X.

Recommended (flagship phones):
1. OnePlus 3T(HIGHLY RECOMMENDED, fastest Android currently available) @ $440
2. Honor 8
3. Xiaomi Mi 5.
4. ZTE Axon 7
Hit thanks if it helped.

Last edited:

iWrecktor

Sep 9, 2016
Could you mention your budget and performance requirements (average or excellent for heavy gaming etc.)? Just edit your previous post.
Otherwise Motorola has some great phones like Moto G4 or Moto E3 Power. If Xiaomi is available, then try Redmi note 3/4. Also consider Honor 6x.

Hey bud, thanks for your reply.
I have already updated/edited my post.
Kindly reply for the same (if more choices available)

Best.

Damhna

Jan 29, 2017
Hey folks.
I'm looking for a super cheap prepaid type phone that can be rooted and run xposed framework.
As an example I bought a Tracfone LG X Style for $50 which apparently has some nuclear grade patching preventing root. Anything similar with good support/images ? Ideally south of $100

aviralrstg

Jun 10, 2015
Hey folks.
I'm looking for a super cheap prepaid type phone that can be rooted and run xposed framework.
As an example I bought a Tracfone LG X Style for $50 which apparently has some nuclear grade patching preventing root. Anything similar with good support/images ? Ideally south of $100
Try Moto G first gen.

Last edited:

murphysia

Jan 29, 2017
Phone less than 300 with good network connection, autonomy and security

Sorry, I'm completely lost with all thoses smartphone..

I need a smartphones with :
+ Good autonomy
+ Fingerprint
+ Best network reception
+ Android 6
+ Less than 300€

I don't care for :
- Quality Screen
- Megapixel Camera
- Brand (LG, Samsung, Huawei, Honor, Meizu..) I really don't care
- Design, it can be ugly I'm fine with it

In advance, thank you very much for your advices, I really appreciate it

Avuton Olrich

Apr 1, 2012
ROM compatible tablet

Hello, I'm in the market for a 8-9in tablet. My list of priorities:

• ROM (LineageOS, if not now, eventually) compatible.
  • Must be 1080p or higher
  • 2GB RAM or greater

It's really simple. Price isn't that important, but I'd like to pay $200 or less, even if it must be a used tablet. ROM compatibility is huge, and it will completely sway my decision if I could find one made by a company that was actually developer friendly (Sony?). I had a really poor experience with the Nvidia Tablet and the craptastic LG-LK430. If Nexus/Google tablets were still being manufactured, and didn't completely suck (like the derpy Nexus 9 :silly:), that would have been an instabuy.

Thanks for your time.

Last edited:

eNVy

Dec 11, 2010
Bangalore
OnePlus 5
Google Pixel 4a
Hello, I'm in the market for a 8-9in tablet. My list of priorities:

ROM (linearOS, if not now, eventually) compatible.
Must be 1080p or higher
2GB RAM or greater

It's really simple. Price isn't that important, but I'd like to pay $200 or less, even if it must be a used tablet. ROM compatibility is huge, and it will completely sway my decision if I could find one made by a company that was actually developer friendly (Sony?). I had a really poor experience with the Nvidia Tablet and the craptastic LG-LK430. If Nexus/Google tablets were still being manufactured, and didn't completely suck (like the derpy Nexus 9 :silly:), that would have been an instabuy.

Thanks for your time.

I'm also in the market for a new tablet. Same requirements.
I currently using Nexus 7(2012) - WiFi

clockcycle

Dec 28, 2007
Miami, FL
Moto G Power (2021)
Doesn't seem like much of answers/suggestions/recommendations, more asking. Does anyone actually reply :D

I am looking for a tablet to keep next to me, while streaming tv on my PC. I've been considering a Nexus 9 or an Nvidia Shield K1, any recommendations within the $150-200 mark on www.swappa.com perhaps? Mostly to browse, socialize, live stream interaction during shows (aka second screen), but still handle some gaming (but not necessarily)

Last edited:

henderjr

Doesn't seem like much of answers/suggestions/recommendations, more asking. Does anyone actually reply :D

I am looking for a tablet to keep next to me, while streaming tv on my PC. I've been considering a Nexus 9 or an Nvidia Shield K1, any recommendations within the $150-200 mark on www.swappa.com perhaps? Mostly to browse, socialize, live stream interaction during shows (aka second screen), but still handle some gaming (but not necessarily)

Saw you posted on my other thread that was closed. https://xdaforums.com/general/general/best-cheap-tablet-12-year-t3505908/

I like the Nexus 9 I got and gave my daughter my Nexus 7 2nd gen. I pretty much only use it in bed to read and surf so I can't comment on games or anything else. But it's a really good size for reading and works well. I rooted it pretty much immediately and am keeping it up to date with OTAs using Flash Fire.

Reactions: clockcycle

clockcycle

Dec 28, 2007
Miami, FL
Moto G Power (2021)
Saw you posted on my other thread that was closed. https://xdaforums.com/general/general/best-cheap-tablet-12-year-t3505908/

I like the Nexus 9 I got and gave my daughter my Nexus 7 2nd gen. I pretty much only use it in bed to read and surf so I can't comment on games or anything else. But it's a really good size for reading and works well. I rooted it pretty much immediately and am keeping it up to date with OTAs using Flash Fire.

I was considering it or the Nvidia Shield. But one reviewer hit it on the nose when he mentioned the 4:3 screen ratio and its use or purpose, comparing it to the Ipad Air and the nexus 7.

He flipped the Nexus 7 landscape, that's when I realized, to get the appropriate view or maximize the screen view you have to really flip the N7 or any rectangle tablet. So you get more viewing real-estate side to side but severely limited the height. With the Nexus 9 you don't really need to and if you do you get a lot of viewing surface either way. Others recommend if you're needing that style of reading viewing content surface, might as well get a 10", but see that really takes away from the portability, if that makes sense...

I got an Unlocked Nexus 9 LTE off swappa, waiting on delivery, can't wait. I want to use it as my "second screen" while watching shows/streams to live interact with the casts/streamers/chat, browse, social sites while binging shows and watch shows on it with kodi in bed or couch, as well as try out some games.

My other option would have been a Pixel C, but it's a tad too big and price is much higher still..

miskmark

Jan 16, 2017
Hi,

I'm in doubt between Leeco Le Pro3 6/64, Axon7 4/128 or Xiaomi Mi5 4/64.
What would u guys suggest? My first choice would be Axon7 but what keeps me away is Battery life? All other satisfy my criteria.
Le pro3 has outstanding performance and battery, all others comparing to mentioned two is so so.
Xiaomi mi5? Nice and light in between those two...
As not being a heavy user, my priorities are
- fluid and smooth operation which all three satisfy
- upgrades and stability
- somehow maybe prefer 5.5'' (now using LG G2 2/16)
- don't play games so much (time to time)
- daily use FB, messenger, 2 emails, Internet browsing, few other apps,
- camera 60-40
- music and multimedia 60-40
Hmm what else... as average user...
Just want to have better battery than LG G2 has (or had as new)...now charging 2-3 time per day.

Hope your opinions and suggestions will help me to choose what I'm looking for.

Budget is not more that $400.

Thanks

timonoj

Oct 22, 2010
Hong Kong
Hi guys,

My S7 got smashed. So now I'm thinking to buy something "cheap" while I wait for the S8... Not that I specially love Samsung, but I love these specs:
-Generous RAM (3-5GB)
-SD support
-NFC (android pay is becoming a thing here)
-Wireless/Qi charging.
-Screen size...not note-sized. Less than 5.5...best at 5" or so.
-...waterproof?

Besides the waterproof thing, which at this point is still non existent in most brands...which phone would you recommend that includes all this?

ewa_123

May 10, 2016
I'm looking for a smartwatch. I need one to know what time it is. Why not use phone to check the time? Because people are thinking that I play with my phone and in some places/situations phones are banned to use.
Why not buy real watch? Because I'm almost blind, I can't see watch face on traditional watch. Android Wear is having feature to speak anything what's shown on screen.
On my list I have Zenwatch 2 (104 Euro, Amazon WHD) but those bezels and size are my only problem. Lack of ambient light sensor, no GPS. I like the price, cheap but nice stripes. I didn't have possibility to check it live.

What is necessary:
- Android Wear
- speaker and microphone
- good battery life around 2 days
- water resistance
- lots of changeable and affordable stripes in different styles
- lightweight
- for small women wrist
- price under 170 Euro

What would be cool to have:
- quick charge (I love this on my LG)
- circular design. Without flat tire (traditional look)
- ambient light sensor (I heard there's nice shortcut to quickly change brightness if watch has buttons so I maybe can live without it)
- nice color to match my LG G5 pink
- GPS (if yes then it should be in watch not in sstrap, if I choose non GPS watch can it still show me the way when I start navigation on phone?)
- wireless charging? If smartwatch would have contact with water would those magnetic pins be damaged quickly?
- reminder to move if I sit too long (if I'm so busy with work that I lost track if time)
- update to Android Wear 2.0

What I don't need at all:
- heart rate sensor and fitness features (I know when my heart is beating too fast and I run only when its really necessary)
- NFC, yes I read about Android Wear 2.0 but watches are so easy to steal. My phone has better security and fingerprint sensor and watches dont. I won't pay with watch. Even with phone its almost impossible.

Gesendet von meinem LG-H850

aviralrstg

Jun 10, 2015
Hi guys,

My S7 got smashed. So now I'm thinking to buy something "cheap" while I wait for the S8... Not that I specially love Samsung, but I love these specs:
-Generous RAM (3-5GB)
-SD support
-NFC (android pay is becoming a thing here)
-Wireless/Qi charging.
-Screen size...not note-sized. Less than 5.5...best at 5" or so.
-...waterproof?

Besides the waterproof thing, which at this point is still non existent in most brands...which phone would you recommend that includes all this?
Only phones I found with all 3GB RAM, SD card, NFC Waterproofing: Sony Xperia M5 and Sony Xperia Z3+.
You can't expect many cheap phones with such features. If you just want a temporary phone, buy a second-hand flagship( like s7?)

Hit thanks if it helped!

Reactions: timonoj

timonoj

Oct 22, 2010
Hong Kong
Only phones I found with all 3GB RAM, SD card, NFC Waterproofing: Sony Xperia M5 and Sony Xperia Z3+.
You can't expect many cheap phones with such features. If you just want a temporary phone, buy a second-hand flagship( like s7?)

Hit thanks if it helped!

Thanks! I might consider that M5...I was checking second hand devices around this area, and so far they're only 50~80 bucks cheaper than just an S7 straight first hand, and still prohibitive (specially if buying it a SECOND TIME). I'll check that M5, looks to be a bit over 200 bucks here.

EDIT: Dang! That Xperia M5 shares the same CPU than an HTC One E9+ I'm currently borrowing. I have no complaints on the CPU performance...except for the GPS. You see, I drive my motorbike rather often. And something that became immediately clear is, this GPS sucks. Whenever it comes near any building cluster (not straight near the building, just within 30 meters), the GPS goes completely bonkers, misplacing me around 200m away of where I really am, and forcing gmaps to start creating re-reoutes all the time. It's pretty frustrating sitting in a traffic light watching the map jumping absolutely everywhere in the district, unable to actually seeing where you have to go.

Last edited:

Aasresh

Jan 22, 2017
Hyderabad
OnePlus 7T Pro
Sorry, I'm completely lost with all thoses smartphone..

I need a smartphones with :
+ Good autonomy
+ Fingerprint
+ Best network reception
+ Android 6
+ Less than 300€

I don't care for :
- Quality Screen
- Megapixel Camera
- Brand (LG, Samsung, Huawei, Honor, Meizu..) I really don't care
- Design, it can be ugly I'm fine with it

In advance, thank you very much for your advices, I really appreciate it
Oneplus 3 or 3t is the device you are looking for go ahead and buy it.

SHDY

Feb 6, 2017
I would actually buy the Honor 8 instead of the P9, almost the same, in every way, but nicer design and the fact that you can always buy it for around €200 - €230 here.
I'd like to know where you can always buy it for around 200€-300€. So where's the "here" you speak of? I can't find it anywhere for this price.

I'd like to know where you can always buy it for around 200€-300€. So where's the "here" you speak of? I can't find it anywhere for this price.
Let's start on ebay US, 9 and 10/10 condition in a box for €210.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Huawei-Ho...e-Blue-Unlocked-Smartphone-10-10/182316417176
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Huawei-Honor-8-Latest-Model-32GB-Sapphire-Blue-Unlocked-9-10/172398929786
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Huawei-Honor-8-FRD-L04-32GB-Blue-Unlocked-Mint-Condition/132073882424

Here in my country all autumn long from 2 Operators they have been selling these for €250 and €225 on Black Friday.

Loads of them sold for €170 - €220 here the past few months.
http://www.tradera.com/search?categoryId=2601&priceRange=E&itemStatus=Ended&q=honor+8

I'll return with some more deals.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I'm looking for a phone that has more than 3 main custom roms and good gps. (using Poco M3 Pro 5G rn)

Phones whose latest versions are supported by atleast 3+ official custom roms:​

More and more device manufacturers are delaying the release of their ROM builds to the open source community, leaving us with a handful of device manufacturers who are very generous - and for whom custom ROM builds are sprawling with official websites. Here are the 7 devices you can confidently buy, who support official custom ROM support - published after filtering 12 active official custom ROM websites -
    1. paranoid
    2. Lineage
    3. evolution
    4. pixel experience
    5. Calyx
    6. Graphene os
    7. Elixir
    8. crdroid
    9. bliss OS
    10. Ubuntu touch
    11. AlphaDroid
    12. Rising OSS

The 7 device series - that will surely provide 3+ official rom support in future:

1. Redmi note series - Note 12 /note 12 turbo/ 12r pro - supported by 8 official custom ROMS
    2. Xiaomi Mi series - Mi 12/12r - by 4 official custom ROMS; Mi 13/13 pro - 1 official custom ROM supported
    3. Poco X series - X5/X5 pro - 6 official custom roms
    4. Poco M series - M5 - 4 official custom roms; M6/M6 Pro - 2 official custom Roms
    5. Poco F series - F5 - 4 official custom roms
    6. Nothing Phone - Phone 2 - 3 custom roms ; Phone 1 - 6 official custom ROMS
    7. Pixel phones - 10+ active official custom ROMS available for latest pixel.

Detailed analysis of these 7 devices with their present state of custom ROM development, attached as a pdf

- to help you navigate and search the latest ROMS easier/ to keep/ edit/ update as a personal guide.

Obviously latest Oneplus, samsung device custom ROM development has stalled. Unofficial release only exist for them.
    Official ROM support for Oneplus stopped with Oneplus 9 series, for Samsung with s10 series. No more official custom ROMS for them at the moment. Unofficial ones do exist.

Based on your budgets and preferences, go for it.
    Cheers!
    dont forget AlphaDroid!!!!! and RisingTechOSS
    On it mate.. .will add it in the list!
    Pleased to hear mate.

Does it apply to redmi phones too?
    Yes, but only in China for now... Some people in other Asian countries have also seen these new restrictions but not everyone has. It'll be instated everywhere else eventually though...
    what exactly are the new BL unlock policies that make it dangerous? where can I read about it? cause I was thinking of buying a xiaomi phone so if the phone is not supported by xiaomi via updates anymore, then I could install a community ROM.
    For now the policies are only in China so if you see one you like, you're good to go but keep in mind you'll no longer receive updates to the stock ROM. The policies will be expanded globally though, it's been all but confirmed.

The policies themselves include gaining level 5 on Xiaomi's CN forums, only unlocking 3 devices/yr, and we waiting for certain times for your request to be manually approved...

See this:

Poco X6 Pro 512 / 12 GB vs Galaxy S23 FE 256 / 8 GB - which one should I buy?​

I want camera to be good but Poco X6 Pro hardware seems so superior

Would it worth to buy Galaxy S23 FE only for camera?
    You are comparing a 2024phone vs 2023 phone.. forget the hardware, in every functionality there is a slight edge for x6 pro

1. X6 2024 Mtk faster than 2023 snap Soc
    2. Better audio quality! (Ldac), better display, faster ram,lighter device
    3. Even camera! Poco's photo procsssing might lag, but its post photo AI features are betfer than samsung
    4. Updates - same -S23 wont get the 7 year updates
    5. Custom rom community - Official roms like paranoid etc. Arrivewithin 1year of release for poco.. and take 4years from samsung! (X5 vs s10)

Addthe hardware, as u told, poco x6 crushes it. Samsungusually never minds the hardware.. So thats fine!

The only savinggrace? If u love oneui/boxy feel of s23! Hyper os has bridged/refines the os gap too..
    Hi everyone,

This thread is a continuation of this thread.

This is here so you can discuss what your next phone/tablet should be, if you're not sure what to pick.

Also, if you need advice as to which device is better than another, then feel free to ask those questions in here aswell.

This is an attempt to clear out all the similar threads being created around these forums.

*NOTE* I will be requesting thread maintenance as and when it is needed, to remove any SPAM comments
    Excellent, I hope this will attract some discussion on new devices so new threads won't be opened.

I am not looking for a new phone right now, well maybe not depending on the outcome of HTC repairing my Sensation I guess. I sure hope to find out tomorrow. I think if I was going to get a replacement now I would probably get the SGS3 over the OneX. I really don't like the non-removable battery and maybe worse, no SD slot. I know why they did it for economic reasons but I am just not going to go that direction. Batteries do not last forever and their maximum charge level goes down over time. I want to be able to plug the SD into my computer and do a local backup. I also want to be able to get a bigger or faster SD if one comes out.
    I am used to Sense but I am sure I could get used to Touchwiz as well, and I just read in the portal that ROM Cleaner works with the SGS3 now, as long as I can rid of the bloat I am content. I am sure that when my contract is done in a year there will be something newer and better out anyways. ;)
    I hope it does aswell. These forums definitely have too many of those threads being created :rolleyes:

I think I'd choose the S3 aswell to be honest. Even though the One X is a powerful phone, the S3 can quite easily out perform it, as it can with most phones.

The only time I'd be looking to upgrade is when mine become redundant, which with having an S2 (which can still keep up with the newest flagship devices) and Xperia S, I won't need to upgrade for a while I don't think.

Sent from Stephen Hawking's rooted wheelchair
    I would take the Lumina. My girlfriend has one and its pretty good.

√ HTC Evo 3D GSM
    √ Android JB 4.1.2
    √ Disarmed Toaster
    √ 4EXT Recovery Touch
    √ Anthrax Kernel 3.7.0 @ 1.6ghz
    Never owned a tablet before.. flirting with the idea of a galaxy tab 2 10.1. As of current, I'm all good with my s3 but I'm kinda interested in what this next galaxy note 2 will bring. Guess I'm some sort of galaxy fan.. ever since my vibrant :p

---> Brought to you in part by my T999 / T-Mobile Galaxy SIII :)