Fix for XXJVK Google Maps Rotation issue

Search This thread

jbdroid

Nov 6, 2010
Yokohama
This is to avoid confusion about Google maps and Earth rotation feature.

Others report that their Maps and Earth apps do not rotate at all when they upgraded their ROM to XXJVK.

First, rotation gesture is quite different from other devices or versions.
To rotate, place two fingers, one on top of the other, then move horizontally along the screen.

If that didn't work, check Google Maps' version:

Go to Settings >> Applications >> Manage Applications >> All tab

Find Maps in the list and check version number.

If version is 5.0 or any version less than 5.2, then rotation is not possible without hacking
system's multitouch file.

Now go to Market and download latest version, 5.2.1.

*Some countries cannot download the latest version,
here is a link of the apk file of Maps 5.2.1:
http://www.mediafire.com/?1wynpj9vjo2zoc0

here is the link of a modified Maps 5.2.1:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=991654

How to install (for rooted devices only, credit to abhi0n0nakul):
INSTRUCTIONS:
download and extract the .apk
1. install titanium backup.
2. in titanium backup, go to apps and wipe data for maps(i.e official maps).
the mod wont work if data is not wiped..
3. after wiping data, you can also clear cache. so that nothing of original maps is there..
4. now uninstall the maps using titanium backup .
5. you may perform a reboot (though worked for me without reboot).
6. now install the moded maps.
7. again you may try reboot if not working (worked for me without reboot)
and you are done....

credits: liying ,china

Or you can try this alternative (for those who want the circular gesture):
*Warning: This might change your phone's multitouch implementation,
not just in the Maps application as the update will modify files in the /system/ folder.

But overall, in my experience, multitouch is somewhat much responsive with this fix.
Not just on Maps but also on other apps like gingerbread keyboard, as others also reported.

Please say thanks to nedoo:
The easiest thing is to use this CWM update...

distinct-multitouch-signed.zip

Possible explanation by rlorange. Thank him by the way! :)
It seems that samsung forgot to tell android 2.3.3 that our phone is multi-touch!

Maybe this is a google/market thing and the market is confused as to what type of phone we have with jvk. Perhaps the multi-touch update comes via system app updates like maps depending on the phone model.

Really there is only the nexus 1 and S running 2.3.3 till JVK arrived and its not official yet so I reckon Google/Market thinks our phone is a N1 and thus updated the multi-touch scrip accordingly... Phew like my theoy? LOL!

Stock XXJVK, Voodoo GB hack Kernel, JQ1 modem

Last edited:

rlorange

Nov 5, 2010
Melbourne
I would just like to add that there was another rotation method in the maps found in the original jvk firmware different to the one used previously and not at all Intuitive.

Many people might not have known how it works and concluded that rotation simply didn't work when in fact it did. Here's how it works:

Place two fingers together on the screen one ABOVE the other and sweep in an arc.

Not sure why this method replaced the older and better one. Please confirm if a market update changes back to the original

Stock XXJVK, Voodoo GB hack Kernel, JVE GB Modem

taunotaneli

Apr 1, 2011
I would just like to add that there was another rotation method in the maps found in the original jvk firmware different to the one used previously and not at all Intuitive.

Many people might not have known how it works and concluded that rotation simply didn't work when in fact it did. Here's how it works:

Place two fingers together on the screen one ABOVE the other and sweep in an arc.

Not sure why this method replaced the older and better one. Please confirm if a market update changes back to the original

I am using the latest official Maps (5.2.1) och my XXJVK (non-rooted) and this is the way to rotate it. Just pinch your fingers together on top of each other and sweep in an arc, as you said.

The old system is better, but this is actually a Maps feature and not a bug in the JVK.

CrashV5

Oct 23, 2010
Milan
Hi! i'm on JVK stock too, confirm that rotation works, simply change input mode.
I describe like, make a circle with two parallel finger :)
The old one was really more intuitive, maybe there was some problem with non wanted rotation when you try to zoom..so they change...

bye!

rlorange

Nov 5, 2010
Melbourne
Ahh thank you nadoo, I have yet to work out how to post files from my phone... Xda app? Fail! Phone, browser? Fail! I rarely use my computer lol!

This update from nadooo will revert rotation back to the older more intuitive method... Thanks again nadooo :)

Reactions: nedooo

markdj57

Oct 16, 2010
Belfast
www.stronge.org.uk
If the 2 finger vertically swipe is the new default then I think we should all give maps one star and bad reviews.

I have 5.2.1 on xxjvk and I cannot use the normal twisting rotation which was awesome in many iphone bashing ways, including the two salute to 3D.

Only thing works is the vertical two finger thing which is awkward to get the exact rotation you want or to rotate smoothly.

1 star incoming...

rlorange

Nov 5, 2010
Melbourne
Ahh! See this change coincidentally came just as I flashed jvk so I thought it was related to jvk only.

I'm guessing google will change it back cos they will get heat for it!

Edit:, is it jvk only? Perhaps google maps thinks our phone with jvk is a nexus 1? Hmmmm running theory
For now :)

nedooo

Dec 26, 2010
Sarajevo
Ahh! See this change coincidentally came just as I flashed jvk so I thought it was related to jvk only.

I'm guessing google will change it back cos they will get heat for it!

Edit:, is it jvk only? Perhaps google maps thinks our phone with jvk is a nexus 1? Hmmmm running theory
For now :)

Yes I also think that this should be enabled (included) by default, seems like that it "thinks" Galaxy S has optical or trackball navigation like some HTC models (N1...).

This is present with Gingerbread only JV1, JVK...hope that next iteration will deal with this...

Last edited:

Rawat

Jun 7, 2010
London
From what I can tell, it's like this:

Samsung forgot to add the android.hardware.touchscreen.multitouch.distinct.xml file - which is present in JS8 (that's a ROM I have on my laptop* and checked) so the phone *thinks* there is no distinct multi-touch, and that it has the crappy "multi-touch" that desire/nexus one etc have. For them, they have to use the two finger arc gesture because it'll get messed up using the normal gestures when the axis swap.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vg08uxQz4jQ

Last edited:

boliveira2

Jun 18, 2010
From what I can tell, it's like this:

Samsung forgot to add the android.hardware.touchscreen.multitouch.distinct.xml file - which is present in JS8 (that's a ROM I have on my phone and checked) so the phone *thinks* there is no distinct multi-touch, and that it has the crappy "multi-touch" that desire/nexus one etc have. For them, they have to use the two finger arc gesture because it'll get messed up using the normal gestures when the axis swap.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vg08uxQz4jQ

You, sir, seem to be totally right. Let's hope Samsung fixes it in the release build of GB.

shayp

Feb 4, 2011
didn't work for me. i tried to install the mod map after uninstall with titanium.
then i t install the mod apk but the installtion didn't work. any idea ?

nedooo

Dec 26, 2010
Sarajevo
didn't work for me. i tried to install the mod map after uninstall with titanium.

I think it could be signature.
So in order to apply this update on GB you need to fix permissions, most CWM does this by default, if not do it manualy :confused:

jbdroid

Nov 6, 2010
Yokohama

Did you clear the cached map tiles?
Try to clear it and reboot twice. If it still fails, do the alternative method as pointed out by nedooo :)

rlorange

Nov 5, 2010
Melbourne
You dont need the map apk. Install maps off the market and then apply nadooo's zip to enable multi-touch rotation.

nedooo

Dec 26, 2010
Sarajevo
You dont need the map apk. Install maps off the market and then apply nadooo's zip to enable multi-touch rotation.

Maybe he, just like me doesn't have Maps and Earth on Market due to Region.
I appreciate yours uploads a lot, and thanks again :)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This is to avoid confusion about Google maps and Earth rotation feature.

Others report that their Maps and Earth apps do not rotate at all when they upgraded their ROM to XXJVK.

First, rotation gesture is quite different from other devices or versions.
    To rotate, place two fingers, one on top of the other, then move horizontally along the screen.

If that didn't work, check Google Maps' version:

Go to Settings >> Applications >> Manage Applications >> All tab

Find Maps in the list and check version number.

If version is 5.0 or any version less than 5.2, then rotation is not possible without hacking
    system's multitouch file.

Now go to Market and download latest version, 5.2.1.

*Some countries cannot download the latest version,
    here is a link of the apk file of Maps 5.2.1:
    http://www.mediafire.com/?1wynpj9vjo2zoc0

here is the link of a modified Maps 5.2.1:
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=991654

How to install (for rooted devices only, credit to abhi0n0nakul):
    INSTRUCTIONS:
    download and extract the .apk
    1. install titanium backup.
    2. in titanium backup, go to apps and wipe data for maps(i.e official maps).
    the mod wont work if data is not wiped..
    3. after wiping data, you can also clear cache. so that nothing of original maps is there..
    4. now uninstall the maps using titanium backup .
    5. you may perform a reboot (though worked for me without reboot).
    6. now install the moded maps.
    7. again you may try reboot if not working (worked for me without reboot)
    and you are done....

credits: liying ,china

Or you can try this alternative (for those who want the circular gesture):
    *Warning: This might change your phone's multitouch implementation,
    not just in the Maps application as the update will modify files in the /system/ folder.

But overall, in my experience, multitouch is somewhat much responsive with this fix.
    Not just on Maps but also on other apps like gingerbread keyboard, as others also reported.

Please say thanks to nedoo:

distinct-multitouch-signed.zip

Possible explanation by rlorange. Thank him by the way! :)
    It seems that samsung forgot to tell android 2.3.3 that our phone is multi-touch!

Maybe this is a google/market thing and the market is confused as to what type of phone we have with jvk. Perhaps the multi-touch update comes via system app updates like maps depending on the phone model.

Really there is only the nexus 1 and S running 2.3.3 till JVK arrived and its not official yet so I reckon Google/Market thinks our phone is a N1 and thus updated the multi-touch scrip accordingly... Phew like my theoy? LOL!

Stock XXJVK, Voodoo GB hack Kernel, JQ1 modem

Thanks guys for your feedback. Will add it then to the first post. :)
    Ahh thank you nadoo, I have yet to work out how to post files from my phone... Xda app? Fail! Phone, browser? Fail! I rarely use my computer lol!

This update from nadooo will revert rotation back to the older more intuitive method... Thanks again nadooo :)