[ROM] MSI Windpad Enjoy 7 & 10: Root + Bloatware Removed

Search This thread

archinext

Mar 13, 2012
Is anyone else having issues with keyboards after applying one of these stripped down firmwares on the Enjoy 7. I seem to be able to get the adaptxt keyboard only and none of my attempts to change it will stick.

Last edited:

normit08

Mar 8, 2012
Milton Keymes
Proxy Settings

Firstly I would like to thank you for finding a way to root the device. I know this may not matter now but there is now officailly a USB driver located:
h ttp://event.msi.com/nb/enjoy/enjoy7.html#?div=Driver.

May I just ask off topic. Can anyone help on how I could go about putting in proxy settings for this device. When I am at work I need to access the internet however cannot find proxy settings anywhere? I have rooted the tablet and tried using several proxy apps from the app store? I am thinking it is not working because of the cramfs?

lact0se

Mar 16, 2011
14°.40'N | 121°03'E
Is anyone else having issues with keyboards after applying one of these stripped down firmwares on the Enjoy 7. I seem to be able to get the adaptxt keyboard only and none of my attempts to change it will stick.

No issues here. I am using Smart Keyboard Pro

---------- Post added at 04:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:21 PM ----------

would you pls explain the steps you've done to root the official ROM, thank you in advance

1. Download MSI firmware here http://event.msi.com/nb/enjoy/enjoy7_download.html
2. Download wendal's tool here http://www.slatedroid.com/topic/19808-rk29xx-imagetools-v21/
3. Unzip the tool into a folder
4. copy the MSI image file into this folder,and rename to wendal.img
5. double click Runme.bat ,and follow the guide (1 unpack)
6. Wait as the the toll unpacks the firmware, the tool will also root it.
7. After unpack, go to system folder created and go to apps, you can remove the apps you want, but be careful of system apps
8. Double click runme.bat again, this time choosing 2. pack
9. Wait as the tool creates the new image, be wary of any error messages
10. Copy update_new.img to your MSI drive.
11. Turn off USB and update firmware.

goldiecalypso

Jan 30, 2012
Firstly I would like to thank you for finding a way to root the device. I know this may not matter now but there is now officailly a USB driver located:
h ttp://event.msi.com/nb/enjoy/enjoy7.html#?div=Driver.

May I just ask off topic. Can anyone help on how I could go about putting in proxy settings for this device. When I am at work I need to access the internet however cannot find proxy settings anywhere? I have rooted the tablet and tried using several proxy apps from the app store? I am thinking it is not working because of the cramfs?

See orbot, it's the best!

https://guardianproject.info/apps/orbot/

and then use Orweb for browsing and Gibberbot for messaging and...

MSI user

Mar 13, 2012
Frustrated

@aedwards
I followed the link and after rebooting had no keyboard options, limited apps and still no way to access the google play apps. How can i download apps on the enjoy 10? Thank you.

goldiecalypso

Jan 30, 2012
@aedwards
I followed the link and after rebooting had no keyboard options, limited apps and still no way to access the google play apps. How can i download apps on the enjoy 10? Thank you.

of course you have wifi and the browser! go to play.google.com and get your needed apps such as file explorer or favorite keyboard, ...

goldiecalypso

Jan 30, 2012
seems the new firmware "0224" is not accessable via wendal tool!

Attachments

• log.jpg
    log.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 203

kuro01x

Mar 13, 2012
I've updated aedwards3 rom. But it isn't fool rooted, because /system partitionis still locked.

slatedroid.com/topic/22162-writable-system-for-rk29xxt760p71-et/
To make a fool root it's necessary to edit boot.img.

unpack your boot.img ,open init.rc found
mount cramfs mtd@system /system ro
change to
mount ext3 mtd@system /system wait rw

But i still can't still unpack it cause source code is needed to run unpacking perl script correctly.

desire888

May 29, 2010
Finally some drivers. Ive been bugging tech support for the last 2 weeks for drivers and they kept beating around the bush...just checked my email and they sent me the link too (the same as a few posts back).

now to bug them for more updates lol

goldiecalypso

Jan 30, 2012
Fonts

anybody knows what this folder is:
"system\fonts\adobefonts"
can we remove it?

also is it possible to update or change the android fonts in "system\fonts" folder

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hey all. Here is a rooted stock ROM (firmware) with bloatware (extraneous apps) removed for the MSI Windpad Enjoy 7" and 10".

MSI Windpad Enjoy 7"
    mediafire.com/?5bvurbrqtxn8qny

MSI Windpad Enjoy 10"
    mediafire.com/?wrem1b1511aki36

HOWTO Install:

1. Download the correct file for your Windpad
    2. Rename the file to update.img
    3. Connect your Windpad to your computer
    4. Enable USB storage mode
    5. Copy the update.img to your Windpad's storage
    6. Eject your windpad from the computer, then turn off USB storage
    7. A popup will appear asking if you wish to install the update. Click Install.
    8. Sit back, relax and wait for your ROM to finish installing.
    9. NOTE: PLEASE DO NOT TOUCH THE DEVICE OR REMOVE POWER/USB WHILST THE UPDATE IS INSTALLING. DOING SO COULD RESULT IN A BRICK.

Please note: although I have tested the 10" version I have not tested the 7" version although the process to create the ROM was exactly the same as the 10". I am also in no way responsible if you stuff up the install and brick your device.

Removed Apps:

Adaptxt(d)(e)_f_And(2.3)_pro_dutnl_MSI_v1_4.apk
    Adaptxt(d)(e)_f_And(2.3)_pro_enggb_MSI_1_4.apk
    Adaptxt(d)(e)_f_And(2.3)_pro_engus_MSI_v1_4.apk
    Adaptxt(d)(e)_f_And(2.3)_pro_freca_MSI_v1_4.apk
    Adaptxt(d)(e)_f_And(2.3)_pro_frefr_MSI_v1_4.apk
    Adaptxt(d)(e)_f_And(2.3)_pro_gerde_MSI_v1_4.apk
    Adaptxt(d)(e)_f_And(2.3)_pro_itait_MSI_v1_4.apk
    Adaptxt(d)(e)_f_And(2.3)_pro_rusru_MSI_v1_4.apk
    Adaptxt(d)(e)_f_And(2.3)_pro_spaes_MSI_v1_4.apk
    Adaptxt(d)(e)_f_And(2.3)_pro_spamx_MSI_v1_4.apk
    Adaptxt(d)(e)_f_And(2.3)_pro_turtr_MSI_v1_4.apk
    AnPrint3.1.apk
    Asphalt5_MSI_N0Y1_ML_IGP_-MSI_Tnb_MP_MS_GLLive_105.apk
    ASTRO_2_5_3-85-yd.apk
    BooksProvider.apk
    DungeonHunter_MSI_N0Y1_ML_IGP_MSI_Full_GLLive_109.apk
    Explorer.apk
    flashplayer
    Free_HD_Games_MSI_N0Y1_Widget_EN_FVGL_TS_100.apk
    Fuugo_TYR_PID101_FA130_noexpire.apk
    HeroOfSparta_MSI_N0Y1_ML_IGP_MSI_Global_GLLive_100.apk
    kickback.apk
    PassionQuickOffice.apk
    PowerDVD-PDA110613_02-2.0.2549.apk
    RkApkinstaller_0710.apk
    RKEBookReader.apk
    signed_YouTube2.3.apk
    Skype.apk
    soundback.apk
    SoundHound-Freemium-MSI-release.apk
    Street.apk
    talkback.apk
    TimeSync.apk
    yozooffice_1719_MSI.apk
    As requested ROM image + instructions + removed APK's for Enjoy7

Hi Guys,

I've built a cleaned ROM image based off the 0224 MSI image and uploaded it for those of you who requested it. (Got the firmware version number wrong in my original post)

Once again special thanks to everyone else in this thread who's hard work made this possible.

Just a quick warning this is for the MSI Windpad Enjoy 7", I don't own a 10" so I have no idea if the steps are the same (I assume they are). This is my first rooting of a device and first ROM image and 2nd post on XDA-Developers so please be careful with my instructions I may have gotten something a little wrong.

Instructions are as follows:

You'll need the following:
    • Windows PC (I'm using a machine running Vista)
    • Some flavour of Linux (Ubuntu in my case but other *nix's should work).
    • The 0224 image from MSI for your tablet.
    • Wendal's tools
    • Some patience, some linux knowledge and an hour or two.

Unzip all your tools into a folder, copy the update.img file from the 0224 image and place it in the folder with the Wendal tools and rename it to wendal.img and run the RunMe.bat (Same as rooting the original firmware). Select option 1 - Unpack and let it unpack everything.

You'll see that it gives a few errors about not being able to run cramfsck against the file and then not being able to copy the su and SuperUser.apk files across or being able to chmod it. This is because unlike the previous firmware, the new system.img is an ext2 file system. (Previous one was cramfs) In theory we could modify Wendal's tools to work with the ext2 filesystem if we can find something that will mount it under Windows. It was easier though for me to just use my linux machine.

Once that's done copy the system.img file over to your linux machine along with su and SuperUser.apk from Wendal's tools.

Now you'll need to do the following from a Linux command prompt as root (sudo).

mount -o loop system.img /media/system​

*The above command mounts the system.img file to /media/system (make sure this folder exists)

Next run the following commands as root, these are taken from Wendal's code (rk29xx_rom_tools.lua):

cp su /media/system/bin/
    cp Superuser.apk /media/system/app/
    chmod -R 0777 /media/system/*
    chmod 6755 /media/system/bin/su
    chmod 6755 /media/system/app/Superuser.apk​

*The above commands assume you're in the folder that you placed the su & Superuser.apk files and that you mounted system.img to /media/system

Once you've done that remove whatever APK's you want from the /media/system/app/ folder.

Next unmount the system.img filesystem by using the following command as root:

unmount /media/system​

Wait for it to finish and transfer your system.img back to your windows machine. Overwrite the one that Wendal's tool unpacked from the image and then select option 2-Pack from Wendal's tool.

Wait for Wendal's tool to complete and copy & rename wendal_new.img to update.img

Follow Spyral-RSA's instructions here (Post 71 of this thread) and then upgrade your tablet.

Sorry about the long instructions, hope it all makes sense.

I'm uploading a rom image including the remove APK's built using the above steps and will edit this post with a link as soon as its done.
    1. download the official 0224 firmware and tool from MSI here:
    http://event.msi.com/nb/enjoy/enjoy7.html#/?div=Firmware

The guide is included in the tool

2. Download the driver here:
    http://www.2shared.com/file/2IHe5Sho/Driver.html

3. Flash the new firmware

4. Root you device using gingerbreak 1.2 here:
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1044765

5. Remove unwanted apps using various root tools

6. ENJOY!
    Gingerbreak Works

Hi all, I used gingerbreak on the new firmware and it work. Su and superuser installed.
    @lact0se

Yes very nice rom and free ram 256mb if we could remove the bloatware and original keyboard then this rom is a keep

How to install update rom:
    1. download the latest firmware from MSI (http://event.msi.com/nb/enjoy/enjoy7.html#/?div=Firmware) for enjoy7
    2. download burning tool (http://download1.msi.com/files/downloads/frm_exe/burningtool.zip)
    3. download rockchip 2918 driver (http://2shared.com/file/2IHe5Sho/Driver.html)
    4. uncompress all files that are zip
    5. you will see the instructions in burning tool after unzip

Flashing part enjoy7:
    1. connect tab to pc
    2.hold the volume + button (until step6) and hit the reset button
    3. windows will now search for drivers show windows to the rockchip 2918 driver folder
    4. Run burning tool in admin mode
    5.You will see burning tool show ICON 1 in green
    6. Release volume + button now
    7. Now hit UPGRADE

after upgrade completes tablet will reboot on its own wait untill you see your android desktop then you can unplug

Hope you understand
    Spyral