[Q] Looking for a good durable Stereo BT headset

Search This thread

Alucardis666

Jul 27, 2009
Miramar
I would like a decent bluetooth stereo headset that I can listen to music with and make and recieve calls on with this device. I've already tried the Motorla S10's and jaybird freedoms.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Motorol...38355&skuId=1326039&st=motorola s10&cp=1&lp=1

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/JayBird...8316933151&skuId=2264036&st=jaybird&cp=1&lp=4

Moto has a decent mic, but poor audio and bad signal range. However call's were serviceable.

The jaybirds have sensational audio clarity and quality (better on the iPhone though. Just sounds cleaner. dunno why?) and the bass is rich and crisp. Some of the best bud audio I've heard well...ever. Even rivals my klipsch S4i's :p *Only works on apple :-(*

Now for the bad. Calls are the worst I've ever expirenced! audio is muddy, the other end always complains I sound distant and traped in a far away restroom, audio cuts in and out and the volume in call is too low. Just horrid experience altogether that mares the device of its exceptional BT headphone feature.

And I would like ideally a headset with good range ~12-20ft from device. a decent battery cycle *8-12Hrs.* and has a good noise canceling mic and good audio quality for music and calls.

Does such a device exist? My budget is $80-150

Thanks in advanced.

Alucardis666

Jul 27, 2009
Miramar
Jaybirds has been fantastic for me.

Sent from my SGH-I777 using xda premium

I just think the sound quality and the mic suck for phone calls. :-/ which is disappointing. but the sound quality for music and such is nearly on par with my beats studios, although not as clear or loud. and they almost replicate the same timber/clarity of the klipsch S4i's they replaced. (best buds I've ever owned/used/seen) though there's a little distortion at higher volume levels. and I don't feel like they get as loud as I'd like.

XorZone

Jan 19, 2009
Walnut Creek, CA
i'm using my Sony Ericsson HBH-DS980 from 2007, great headset, no problems at all, even battery ok after 4 years of use.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using xda premium

roadrash7

Aug 20, 2010
Sony Ericsson Bluetooth devices are awesome. I have been using the hbh ds205 for years this is my second one my wife put the first one through the wash it still worked but the battery didn't hold a charge after that.

Anyways the great thing about it is you can use it for anything and use any headphones you want with it. I use my sennheiser ie7's.

It has all the controls...play pause volume up down skip track answer calls. Battery last like 8-10 hours of continuous playback.

I clip it on my shirt and work all day long with it. Clip it on my jacket and listen to tunes while I'm riding my motorcycle. Get in my car plug it in to the auxiliary cable, samething at home. Just got a portable speaker for cell phones so I can plug it into that and listen wirelessly. That's why its so great it makes everything wireless.

I don't think they make this model anymore but there is new versions. I'm gonna upgrade sometime because this little device is so awesome.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using xda premium

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1319391087475.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1319391087475.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 135
  • uploadfromtaptalk1319391106480.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1319391106480.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 120
  • uploadfromtaptalk1319391136509.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1319391136509.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 116

Alucardis666

Jul 27, 2009
Miramar
Thanks for the feedback. funny thing is my jay birds worked flawlessly today, no distortion and no call issues... only thing I did different was calibrate my battery on the phone and flash the updated matted blues theme for serendipity.... strange.

jiannichan

Aug 17, 2009
DFW

naturefreak85

Jun 18, 2007
Boca Raton
In terms of Voice Call Quality, the Plantronics 903+ are top notch. I also have the Jaybird Freedoms (best sound quality IMHO) as well as the Sony Ericsson MW600 which I like for the ability to plug in any Headphones I wish. I haven't heard many issues with the MW600 for the audio quality though.

I was told that the Jaybirds has a bit of a tinny sound when I talk on the phone though, bit of a downside (granted after my workout at the gym, I can't seem to find them, not too happy about that.) The Jaybirds battery life will not be the best in any way shape or form, you do pull off about 5 hours, which isn't bad, but nothing like the MW600 which get up to 11 hours.

The MW600 is not the best for working out in my opinion, no sealed ports and not water resistant/sweat resistant. The Plantronics 903+ isn't sweat resistant either contrary to what you read online, but it is durable. I have shorted out 6 pairs with the amount of sweat I have when working out. I even have shorted out a Motorola S9 which is supposed to be sweat resistant as well. Just my $0.02 take them as you wish.

I would like a decent bluetooth stereo headset that I can listen to music with and make and recieve calls on with this device. I've already tried the Motorla S10's and jaybird freedoms.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Motorol...38355&skuId=1326039&st=motorola s10&cp=1&lp=1

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/JayBird...8316933151&skuId=2264036&st=jaybird&cp=1&lp=4

Moto has a decent mic, but poor audio and bad signal range. However call's were serviceable.

The jaybirds have sensational audio clarity and quality (better on the iPhone though. Just sounds cleaner. dunno why?) and the bass is rich and crisp. Some of the best bud audio I've heard well...ever. Even rivals my klipsch S4i's :p *Only works on apple :-(*

Now for the bad. Calls are the worst I've ever expirenced! audio is muddy, the other end always complains I sound distant and traped in a far away restroom, audio cuts in and out and the volume in call is too low. Just horrid experience altogether that mares the device of its exceptional BT headphone feature.

And I would like ideally a headset with good range ~12-20ft from device. a decent battery cycle *8-12Hrs.* and has a good noise canceling mic and good audio quality for music and calls.

Thanks in advanced.

Last edited:
Reactions: Alucardis666

Alucardis666

Jul 27, 2009
Miramar
In terms of Voice Call Quality, the Plantronics 903+ are top notch. I also have the Jaybird Freedoms (best sound quality IMHO) as well as the Sony Ericsson MW600 which I like for the ability to plug in any Headphones I wish. I haven't heard many issues with the MW600 for the audio quality though.

I was told that the Jaybirds has a bit of a tinny sound when I talk on the phone though, bit of a downside (granted after my workout at the gym, I can't seem to find them, not too happy about that.) The Jaybirds battery life will not be the best in any way shape or form, you do pull off about 5 hours, which isn't bad, but nothing like the MW600 which get up to 11 hours.

The MW600 is not the best for working out in my opinion, no sealed ports and not water resistant/sweat resistant. The Plantronics 903+ isn't sweat resistant either contrary to what you read online, but it is durable. I have shorted out 6 pairs with the amount of sweat I have when working out. I even have shorted out a Motorola S9 which is supposed to be sweat resistant as well. Just my $0.02 take them as you wish.

Thanks for the feedback!

Mr_Armageddon

Oct 31, 2007
Denver
Jaybirds has been fantastic for me.

Sent from my SGH-I777 using xda premium

I have had the same experience with the JayBirds as the OP. Good bluetooth speakers... horrible call quality. People couldn't understand me, complaining that I was muffled. I took them back after 2 days.

I am also looking for a good set of stereo bluetooth headphones, to use both in the car and the gym, and will be following this thread closely.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk

Pmac25

Jul 14, 2010
MPLS
My MW600's came today and I was able to get a quick 20 mile ride in with them. So here is a quick review.

My first impression was wow is this thing small. With out headphones the unit is about 2.5 inches long and about .5 wide. The clip is not the greatest but seemed to hold on tight enough.

The headphones that came with it just looking at them I would say they are not the greatest design. The are not the "Standard" Y design with the plug on the bottom and the L & R ear buds at the top. Instead the plug and L ear bud are on the top and the R ear bud the bottom. This makes the L ear bud rather short. Tossed them right away.

Pairing could not have been easier. Pretty much standard Turn the unit on, Turn on BT on the phone tell it to look for devices and then pair it up. After pairing I turned the headset off for a hour and then turned it back on and it did pair right up again so no problems there.

The Unit
The controls will take a bit of getting use to. Pretty much anywhere you touch it you are going to be touching a control surface. Looking at the headset with the LED screen facing you and headphones on top the volume is on the left, ff, play/pause, and rw are on the left. On the top of the front face is the call button with a mic right above it and at the bottom above the Micro USB port is the power.

The volume will take a bit to get use to as well. it is not a physical button but a touch surface that is not all that sensitive (in the end I think this is a good thing.) you turn it up or down by running your finger over the surface in the direction that you want it to go. To go to full volume or min volume it takes a couple of swipes of your finger or you can press and hold at the top or bottom to up and down.

FF, Play/Pause, and RW seem to work fine and it is not a problem to use them.

I have not had a chance to place or get a call yet so can not speak to how well the call button works or the sound quality. I will post as soon as I get a chance to use the headset for a call.

Sound Quality.
I did not test the headphones that came with it so I can not speak to them. I used a pair of headphones that came with my Captivate (could not find my better Skulls at the time.) I would not say that the sound was out of this world but it was pretty good for using a pair of headphones that came with a phone. Did not get any distortion at the level that I had it, no popping not hissing. Would not say that the sound was deep and rich but it was good.

The Extra's
One of the nice things about this unit is that you can use use a high end set of headphones with out a mic because the unit has a mic built in. So if you have a really good set of headphone I would use them.

FM Radio worked good. was able to pull in the radio station that I listen to all the time and it came in very clear. To the FM radio you hold down the play/pause button until 2 little icons display on the LED then use the play/pause button again to select what you want. I did not try it but I do not think that you can listen to the radio and the use the headset for calls at the same time.

Over all I like the headset it has good sound and with a good set of headphones I think it will be even better. Pairing could not be any easier and once paired held the pairing very well. I did not get any interruptions when I went over bumps that I did get with other BT headsets. I do not think that working out with the headset will be a issue seeing that it is clipped to the outside of my shirt I would have to get a REALLY good sweat going to for it to affect the unit but seeing as it is 45 degrees here right now the proof will have to wait until I get in the gym.

At this point the only con I have is the controls. Like I said it is really hard to handle the unit with out touching one of the controls (Most often volume) but again I think that it is pretty much a matter of time before I "learn" how to handle it with out touching something.

On a scale of 1-10 I would give the headset a solid 8

Skv012a

Jun 19, 2008
MD
Sony Xperia 5 IV
If you can still find them, Homer HHS1220 I believe was the BEST bang for the buck a few years ago. Legitimate 12 hour battery and pretty comfy to wear.

azmexmike

Nov 17, 2011
Scottsdale

Thanks in advanced.
I bought the Phiaton PS 20 BT stereo headset ($125 at Newegg) about a month ago. The sound quality is great, on both music and calls. Distance, to me, is impressive. Built-in battery charges via USB, and battery life has been good for me.

The microphone is the only thing that's a bit finicky. Some people tell me that it sounds like I'm on a wired headset. Others tell me it sounds like I'm in a tunnel. The problem boils down to what shirt I'm wearing! If I have button-down shirt or a breast pocket, then it's easy to dial the mic in for great sound. But if I'm wearing a t-shirt ... forget it.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16875969002

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I use the Sony mw600. Pretty decent has FM radio and connects 3 different bt devices easily.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy SII
    I use the Sony mw600. Pretty decent has FM radio and connects 3 different bt devices easily.

I just ordered these I will let you know how they are when I get them.

Thanks in advanced.