accelerometer off by 5 degrees

Search This thread

jmandawg

Dec 10, 2009
Anyone else have issues with their accelerometer being off. I was trying to play temple run and noticed I had to hold it at an angle for the player to stay in the middle of the screen. Then I loaded up bubble level and it shows it being 5 degrees off. I tried to calibrate it from the screen menu and a factory reset neither of which helped. Should I send to Samsung for repairs?

iJimaniac

Oct 19, 2011
Hmm, no clue. Have you tried Googling "how to calibrate android accelerometer" or similar?

Sent using Tapatalk

zilian28

Apr 23, 2012
Goiânia
Me too

Man, that's so weird. I had almost the same problem on the same day. Suddenly, my player's accelerometer freaked out. The x axis keeps showing -9 at horizontal position. I have tried calibrating it many times and also tried lots of wipes and even 2 flashes using odin and nothing seems to solve the problem.

My player was bought 2 months ago in Brazil and I have never let it fall or suffer any kind of physical shock. Now I don't know even how to send for repair cause I only have rooted roms to flash on it and support may discover custom roms through CWM recovery on boot.

I'm still pretty sure it's not hardware malfunction. Something has happened and I can't find out how to reset sensors the hard way.

Strange that happened to us on the same day (at least, with me was on 21st).

I'll keep searching for a solution. It's horrible to use the player with this issue. (Not to say, almost impossible.)

Best regards.

Last edited:

zilian28

Apr 23, 2012
Goiânia
I have found this and it seems to work for many ppl. I'll try it later, when I get back home (I'm at work).

First, navigate to /data/system folder and then rename or delete ms3c_yamaha.cfg

Later (you need to have your phone rooted), try this at the terminal:

adb shell
su
/system/bin/sensorcalibutil_yamaha

then place your phone horizontally and still and press enter.

Finally, run the Horizontal Calibration from the Display settings and then reboot.

Really hope it helps and work.

zilian28

Apr 23, 2012
Goiânia
I tried everything I could

So, I got back home and started trying many things I saw on the web.

I reflashed again, using odin, different roms (now I'm keeping Eryigit-GB-2.3.6 G70ZCKPA Galaxy Player 5.0 For USA and INT (Rls:3.5) with rotation off).

I also tried what I have posted before and it didn't work, actually I found 2 files similar to the ones posted before: One is caled sensorlib_yamaha_test.so and the other is sensorlibconfig.so (not pretty sure about the name of the second file).

What happened during my attempts was that: before, the X sensor had the problem (value -9 with the cellphone laid on a desk, at horizontal position) and now, surprisingly, the X sensor is OK and now the Y sensor has the failure.

Using the HORIZONTAL CALIBRATION in SAMSUNG 2.3.6 (or 2.3.5, whatever), the ball only stays in the middle of the screen if I keep my phone in vertical position - upside (cause of the Y axis). Even if I rotate the tab in every direction possible, the ball never goes UP, so it only keeps with negative values and never positive ones.

BUT If I shake the phone, not so hard and not so soft, I see the ball of the calibration software moving on all directions. But when I manage to do it softly (as we do with normal use), the ball never goes up.

I have downloaded many sensor programs to test the calibration and after trying about 20 programs, ONLY ONE have showed the exact values as if the accelerometer was normal, but the calibration of the program did not affect the accelerometer on the system and other programs.

So, this is it, of course I won´t give up and try as many things as I can. Here in Brazil we have a saying that is: I'm Brazilian and I never give up.

P.S. I hope someone reads this and give me ideas. hehe

Thanks in advance.

Have a nice day u all.

Last edited:

zilian28

Apr 23, 2012
Goiânia
Great news - a solution

GREAT NEWS - I HAVE SOLVED IT

Ok, after lots of attempts here is what I did.

I have downloaded android Froyo firmware from a Korean website (its on a thread of android development from galaxy player). Then I flashed it with ODIN and when it turned on, at first it was discalibrated the same way (Y axis only showing from 0 to -9).

I turned the player OFF and then turned it ON holding vol + button to enter in stock recovery mode. In recovery mode I wiped cache and data. Then I tried to calibrate again, with my device upside down and then voila.

Of course it was sort of a luck, but I had to try everything my mind could guess.

After all, I think that maybe It wasn't necessary to flash other roms (but it would be impossible to solve it using ICS due to a lack of calibrator - without having to use terminal / for curious noobies like me).

Then, I always tried to calibrate my tab laying it in horizontal position and that is the why I never got any satisfactory results. When I tried the calibration with the tab in 'incorrect' positions, the problem was solved. I guess, the calibration program tried to compensate the wrong results cause of the vertical position and then it calibrated itself.

Hope this helps someone someday. (But I really hope you won't have this kind of problem. It's frustrating.

Any device you have, if you have accelerometer problems, you should try this idea: wipe data and cache, and the first calibration you do, do it with your device turned to the side that has the wrong value or to the oposite side. This worked for me.

Best Regards,

Very happy Zilian28.

Last edited:

j21098

Apr 9, 2012
houston
go to settings>display>horizontal calibration lay it on a flat surface and calibrate it

Sent from my GT-I9000 using XDA