Chromecast causing audio dropouts on receiver

Search This thread

micks_address

Apr 12, 2010
Hi folks, I have my chromecast connected directly to my Denon avr 3310 and powered from the USB port on my TV. Chromecast is working as expected. I get dolby digital plus with no problems and great hd pictures from Netflix. Trouble happens when I switch back to my satellite box. That's connected to my TV via hdmi and receiver via optical. Since adding chromecast I get audio dropouts when watching satellite. How do I know it's chromecast? When I remove the USB cable powering the chromecast from the TV all audio issues dissappear. Anyone have similar issues? Cheers mick

007shark

Aug 22, 2010
Florida
I would do what was suggested and move the usb to maybe a wall adapter for power for troubleshooting. Also make sure that somehow your optical input is not assigned to the same source as your chromecast hdmi input and double check all your input assignments on the Denon.

micks_address

Apr 12, 2010
I would do what was suggested and move the usb to maybe a wall adapter for power for troubleshooting. Also make sure that somehow your optical input is not assigned to the same source as your chromecast hdmi input and double check all your input assignments on the Denon.

Tried everything but in the end changed my satellite receiver to send audio via hdmi to the reciever and everything is playing nice now

wistlo

Nov 28, 2010
New Orleans
Hi folks, I have my chromecast connected directly to my Denon avr 3310 and powered from the USB port on my TV. Chromecast is working as expected. I get dolby digital plus with no problems and great hd pictures from Netflix. Trouble happens when I switch back to my satellite box. That's connected to my TV via hdmi and receiver via optical. Since adding chromecast I get audio dropouts when watching satellite. How do I know it's chromecast? When I remove the USB cable powering the chromecast from the TV all audio issues dissappear. Anyone have similar issues? Cheers mick

Same here with a Denon 790 and analog sources. The Chromecast is plugged on back of the receiver inside a bookshelf nook, so disconnecting it is impractical.

The workaround is to drill down the menu through Input Assign > [HDMI] for the port used by Chromecast > set to "None". When using the Chromecast again, reverse the procedure and reassociate the port. Don't forget which port number holds the Chromecast.

It's inconvenient and my wife explicitly Does Not Like It, but the dropouts stop when you disassociate the port. You eventually memorize the remote key sequence without needing the onscreen menu.

Hope this helps, even after 3+ years.

Last edited: