[NES Emulator] vNESLight

Search This thread

Nudua

Mar 23, 2011
vNESLight 1.0 is now live, bringing a redesigned GUI, new controls, improved save states and much more. It has also been split up into a fully functional ad-supported free version and a paid version (vNESLight Pro) without ads. Unfortunately that means the xap file will no longer be available for sideloading. Both versions should be up in all of the marketplace regions by the end of the week.

vNESLight (free): http://www.windowsphone.com/s?appid=3d8e51b8-1884-4aa7-bb2c-2eda47745a27

vNESLight Pro (paid): http://windowsphone.com/s?appid=11ff7758-04ea-42d9-b012-55f90de82b10

Version 1.0 features - 1-April-2012
- Completely new and improved controls + portrait support
- SkyDrive integration
- Fully featured jump list for all your games
- Fast and fluent multiple save states system (swipe to change slot)
- Backup and restore your save states via SkyDrive
- Pin any game to the start screen
- Auto detects the best settings for your device
- Experimental Hardware Keyboard support
- The demo ROMs of Battle Kid 2 and Super Bat Puncher are included

Method 1 for adding games: (SkyDrive)
1) Get ROMs, don't ask me where. (use GoodNES branded ROMs if u have issues with invalid files)
(Optional) zip, or rar all your ROM files to more easily add a batch of games at once.
2) Login to https://skydrive.live.com/, you can use any Live account u like xbox, hotmail etc.
3) Upload said zip/rar file or nes games to SkyDrive.
4) Hit the + icon inside vNESLight, hit sign in to SkyDrive and navigate to your zip/rar or nes file then just tap on it to add the game(s).

Method 2: (via webserver, or direct link from dropbox)
1) Upload the files to your webserver (or dropbox)
2) Hit the + icon inside vNESLight and enter the full link into the Url box and hit add. Support for zip, rar and nes files.

As always thanks for all the feedback and testing done.

@nuduaa for updates on twitter.

Last edited:

Nudua

Mar 23, 2011
Aye still waiting for the invite e-mail for the Mango rom update, but I've already installed the new tools.

Currently pushing about 20-25 fps without sound atm, it's abit lower with sound.

Will be great to actually do some profiling on real hardware.

Nudua

Mar 23, 2011
Did you receive your mango invite? I'm running the official Mango beta on my Focus.

Yeah, actually more or less done with the beta version for Mango already, you can seamlessly switch back and forth between the game thanks to the new multitasking.

I'm just trying to figure out how I'm gonna do the UI for the Nodo version.

As for the age old question on how to add roms to the app;

What I've come up with so far is, first you add all your rom files to a zip file called "nesgames.zip" then you open the xap file of the emulator in winzip (or another zip manager).

Finally you can just drag the "nesgames.zip" file into winzip to replace the standard "nesgames.zip" file and voila all your roms are added easily.

ryotgz

Dec 15, 2007
www.totalgamerz.com
Yeah, actually more or less done with the beta version for Mango already, you can seamlessly switch back and forth between the game thanks to the new multitasking.

I'm just trying to figure out how I'm gonna do the UI for the Nodo version.

As for the age old question on how to add roms to the app;

What I've come up with so far is, first you add all your rom files to a zip file called "nesgames.zip" then you open the xap file of the emulator in winzip (or another zip manager).

Finally you can just drag the "nesgames.zip" file into winzip to replace the standard "nesgames.zip" file and voila all your roms are added easily.

Do you get any better performance on Mango compared to Nodo? If you need a tester, I can help out.

Nudua

Mar 23, 2011
Do you get any better performance on Mango compared to Nodo? If you need a tester, I can help out.

Sadly it didn't really, but it's helped a great deal by beeing able to performance test on a actual device.

I'll get the Mango beta version up in a couple of hours, just need clean up a couple of things.

ryotgz

Dec 15, 2007
www.totalgamerz.com
Very nice for the first beta. I'm getting about 26-30 FPS on the games I've tried so far on my Focus running Mango beta 2.

Pros:
I like the way you add games to the XAP.
Multi-tasks
Pretty fast

Cons:
Controls
If you reopen the app (via icon) while its running, it relaunches it from the start. I remember seeing a command that you can add that will make it open like it does from the multitask window.

One thing to note. I saw a post about mango got rid of the 30 FPS limit by adding a new line in the program. But I can't remember if it was just for XNA games or if it included silverlight. Not sure if this would help your or not.

Very good work so far!

Nudua

Mar 23, 2011
Yeah the controls are extremly basic, will definitely make them work a lot better.

Gonna check into resuming the app while it's still running, sounds like a much better way.

Tried getting rid of the 30fps limit, but the problem lies with the cpu, can't run the logic fast enough.

Cheers for the feedback

ryotgz

Dec 15, 2007
www.totalgamerz.com
I submitted this to WMPU and they have an article about it. Hopefully this will get ya some more feedback.

I've been messing with the emulator more and it runs much better than the other NES emulator.

Nudua

Mar 23, 2011
I submitted this to WMPU and they have an article about it. Hopefully this will get ya some more feedback.

I've been messing with the emulator more and it runs much better than the other NES emulator.

Cool cool, yeah I originally checked out that sharpnes based emulator myself, but getting something like that up to par would be a lot of work, considering the original project is so incomplete.

I'm currently checking out various ways to speed up the code even more.

Nudua

Mar 23, 2011
I got my trophy unlocked pretty much just for this... Do you have a list of games tha run fine or is there issues with some games ?

Since this is a port of mature emulator called VirtualNES, most of the mappers (MMC's) needed to play are already done, so most games should work just fine.

The only problem game I've seen so far has been with Kid Dracula, but it's pretty easy to modifiy any single mapper.

But keep in mind, this is still a very early beta.

DavidinCT

Jun 2, 2006
Someplace in CT
I see the controls on the first page, I don't have a QWERTY keyboard on mine, is there on-screen controls for this ?

Also for adding/removing games, why don't you look into the USBdriver option ( HERE ). There is addon (works with Nodo and mango) where you can use your WP7 device as a USB drive (same folders as music and pictures), you can create a NESROMS folder in there and anyone could manually add or remove games with out re-deplying the app, just by connecting with USB and closing Zune.

Please hit thanks if this helped !

Nudua

Mar 23, 2011
I see the controls on the first page, I don't have a QWERTY keyboard on mine, is there on-screen controls for this ?

Also for adding/removing games, why don't you look into the USBdriver option ( HERE ). There is addon (works with Nodo and mango) where you can use your WP7 device as a USB drive (same folders as music and pictures), you can create a NESROMS folder in there and anyone could manually add or remove games with out re-deplying the app, just by connecting with USB and closing Zune.

Please hit thanks if this helped !

The controls in the emulator are touch only, as for the controls mentioned in the post at the top are for the Silverlight 4 version, I'll clean up the original post so there's no confusion.

USBdriver looks pretty interesting, but I really don't want to complicate things.
And there's no reason why you can't add your ~50 most favorite NES games from the get go.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    vNESLight 1.0 is now live, bringing a redesigned GUI, new controls, improved save states and much more. It has also been split up into a fully functional ad-supported free version and a paid version (vNESLight Pro) without ads. Unfortunately that means the xap file will no longer be available for sideloading. Both versions should be up in all of the marketplace regions by the end of the week.

vNESLight (free): http://www.windowsphone.com/s?appid=3d8e51b8-1884-4aa7-bb2c-2eda47745a27

vNESLight Pro (paid): http://windowsphone.com/s?appid=11ff7758-04ea-42d9-b012-55f90de82b10

Version 1.0 features - 1-April-2012
    - Completely new and improved controls + portrait support
    - SkyDrive integration
    - Fully featured jump list for all your games
    - Fast and fluent multiple save states system (swipe to change slot)
    - Backup and restore your save states via SkyDrive
    - Pin any game to the start screen
    - Auto detects the best settings for your device
    - Experimental Hardware Keyboard support
    - The demo ROMs of Battle Kid 2 and Super Bat Puncher are included

Method 1 for adding games: (SkyDrive)
    1) Get ROMs, don't ask me where. (use GoodNES branded ROMs if u have issues with invalid files)
    (Optional) zip, or rar all your ROM files to more easily add a batch of games at once.
    2) Login to https://skydrive.live.com/, you can use any Live account u like xbox, hotmail etc.
    3) Upload said zip/rar file or nes games to SkyDrive.
    4) Hit the + icon inside vNESLight, hit sign in to SkyDrive and navigate to your zip/rar or nes file then just tap on it to add the game(s).

Method 2: (via webserver, or direct link from dropbox)
    1) Upload the files to your webserver (or dropbox)
    2) Hit the + icon inside vNESLight and enter the full link into the Url box and hit add. Support for zip, rar and nes files.

As always thanks for all the feedback and testing done.

@nuduaa for updates on twitter.
    getting lag with sound only on Quattro games on nokia lumia 800 and htc mozart using beta 0.6, great work keep it up
    Quattro adventure?, it shouldn't lag on your Lumia 800 /w sound. Unless the game has slowdown like Mega Man 3. I'll check it out tho.

Is Skydrive support in for 1.0 ? I'll have to admit, that would be nice to update a single rom...

I tried Sonic Jewels on my Trophy, it ran perfectly fine but, with out sound, I wont buy it... Oh, it brings back memories, Phantasy Star just epic, I can even remember the sounds, too bad I can't hear them...

yeah I'm missing the sounds when playing Alex Kidd & Wonderboy as well.

As for SkyDrive in 1.0:
    skydrive-vnes-small.png

I've already implemented it and it has the same zip/rar and single file support.
    Hello mate, cool to see somebody making NES emulator that supports everything.

I can offer help in optimalizing the code, if you are interested :)

Sure, once I've put out the beta 2, I'll try to sort out the source code so u can have a look.

edit: beta 2 is now out, I've updated the main post with links etc.
    If you can wait till next week, I'll take a crack at a logo...

Sent from my mwp6985 using XDA Windows Phone 7 App
    Sure that would be sweet, I still have some more testing to do before I can release the beta 2. I've also added a way to pin any game to your homescreen as well as autosave.

At LG e900/Optimus7 the fps in smb3 from 28-30 FPS ^^

Cool, the next beta version should be out very soon, lots of improvements.
    How's progress coming ? If you need images, I created some a few pages back for you if you want to use them (controls and back drop of a controller).

I wonder if you could add, for example, when your playing a game, hit the camera button quickly and create a save game (AKA a shortcut of some type). I know if you hold the camera, it will turn it on but, a quick push ?

I don't think you have access to the camera button, but I could be wrong.

I've fixed the web downloader and I'm testing a few things with the controls. Gonna add automatic detection of new roms, so u could add/remove games via an isolated storage file manager before I put out the next beta.

Wish I had one of those new 1.4-1.5Ghz devices.. kinda disappointed some of the new devices are still rocking the 1Ghz CPU, but maybe the new GPU helps some as well.