More
ok very good
12th April 2008, 02:19 AM |#152  
Senior Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter: 69

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by bengalih

Nu... your comments lead me to believe that you think the device is using eXecute In Place. I'm not sure if you read my NOR/NAND thread, but at this point I don't believe the Kaiser is using NOR RAM. This means that there is nothing that is XIPing directly off the ROM. The contents of the XIP are preloaded into RAM to act as a "XIP cache" if you will.

I'm only remarking, as I understand it, everything from the xip, as seen in the Part01.raw ROM dumps, is intended to run from any available NOR ram to XIP. The fact the Part01.raw dump is 5MB strongly suggests this, but as to how HTC actually implemented it on the Kaiser is up in the air.

Since, the OS kernel and many core subsystems exist in this 5MB section and the OS doesn't change (much), it's difficult to disbelieve that HTC wouldn't at least try to implement some XIP nvram in order to save battery.

But yes, this is all beside the topic which is what is a good size to set the pagepool to. There maybe a high and a low value thresholds that are getting set to the same so it doesn't change (much as how you should set your swap file size in 2000/XP to anyways).

I don't understand why such large pagepools are necessary on an embedded OS that seems to be designed to run within 32MB of ram, and even more so when compared to the PalmOS world where everything had been XIP since the beginning, iirc. Hell, since this is all flash and ram, we don't even have to deal with spindle latencies stretching into seconds vs nanoseconds.

I attribute a lot of the lag I've experienced to any app using .NETCF/Java because both are JIT compiled, bad database caching (Contacts app), and such. If I can get a 50K C++ app up and running in 1.5 vs 10 seconds for a .NETCF app, hmm..
12th April 2008, 08:17 AM |#153  
Inactive Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter: 1,154

Donate to Me
More
So actualy you advice to reduce the Kaiser default 12mb pagepool to 5mb.

It's worth a try

Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NuShrike

I'm only remarking, as I understand it, everything from the xip, as seen in the Part01.raw ROM dumps, is intended to run from any available NOR ram to XIP. The fact the Part01.raw dump is 5MB strongly suggests this, but as to how HTC actually implemented it on the Kaiser is up in the air.

Since, the OS kernel and many core subsystems exist in this 5MB section and the OS doesn't change (much), it's difficult to disbelieve that HTC wouldn't at least try to implement some XIP nvram in order to save battery.

But yes, this is all beside the topic which is what is a good size to set the pagepool to.

12th April 2008, 08:39 AM |#154  
Retired Senior Moderator
Flag Folsom, California
Thanks Meter: 100

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurentius26

It's worth a try

Thank you!

I think this would seriously hinder the Kaiser's Performance.
12th April 2008, 11:58 AM |#155  
Flag Cairo
Thanks Meter: 244

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllTheWay

I agree excuse my rude behavior, for not thanking you for your time and effort. I too am using a 16mb pp and it seems to work on Dutty's 19209 Build.

Sometimes when I get issues like that I re-flash the radio. I don't know why this helps, but I noticed when flashing a lot of the times changing the pagepool, I never changed my radio from 1.58.16.27. I would get random freezes like you said re-flash the radio and the problems would go away.

Anyways Great Job my friend

Thanks AllTheWay

Reflashing the radio solved the Random Freeze problem.

Regards
12th April 2008, 06:23 PM |#156  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurentius26

No. I think 12MB to 18MB should be BillGatesTM Good Enough.
12th April 2008, 06:34 PM |#157  
Retired Senior Moderator
Flag Folsom, California

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by shafez

Thanks AllTheWay

Reflashing the radio solved the Random Freeze problem.

Regards

I'm glad it's working for you now
12th April 2008, 07:49 PM |#158  
Flag Cairo

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by NuShrike

No. I think 12MB to 18MB should be BillGatesTM Good Enough.

I agree with you and most likely 16mb pp is the optimum pp.

BTW, I tried the 5mb pp and it was very slow.

Regards
14th April 2008, 07:54 PM |#159  
Flag Cairo

More
Has anyone try the 18mb pp yet?

I just tried it and it is alot faster than the 16mb pp.

please give it a go and feel the diffference.

Regards
14th April 2008, 08:57 PM |#160  
Retired Senior Moderator
Flag Folsom, California

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by shafez

Has anyone try the 18mb pp yet?

I just tried it and it is alot faster than the 16mb pp.

please give it a go and feel the diffference.

Regards

I agree that 18mb is very fast. Dutty's Hybrid from April 1 has a 18mb pp. I have tried 32, 24, 18, 16, 15 and I must say that either 18 or 16 is going to be your best bet.
15th April 2008, 04:51 AM |#161  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllTheWay

I agree that 18mb is very fast. Dutty's Hybrid from April 1 has a 18mb pp. I have tried 32, 24, 18, 16, 15 and I must say that either 18 or 16 is going to be your best bet.

Thanks for making the 16MB pp available off your site. Saves me the trouble of getting dragged into a patching project.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)