Glance Screen improvements, gesture and screen calibration in development?

Search This thread

cri347

Nov 22, 2016
Google Pixel 6
In the settings there are some hidden activities of debugging, testing and experimental settings for the Glance Screen.
As you can see from the screenshots below, they would allow to change the backlight, the number of notifications to be displayed (four or six), the activation delay, the style of the screen, add new apps (still very few) to the usual three and have an extended view of events in program.
Screenshot_20180205-135322.png Screenshot_20180205-135354.png Screenshot_20180205-135419.png Screenshot_20180205-135431.png Screenshot_20180205-135455.png
Actually, they appear to be only screens without management code, since nothing seems to work, except for the debugging settings in the fourth screen. Those actually affect the backlighting of the screen and the white tone of the characters (but could simply be related to the variation of backlighting).

As for the gesture, there are activities (not working) to activate the gesture on the fingerprint reader, to manage the virtual navigation bar (these should not affect the Nokia 8, since it has capacitive keys) and to switch from rear camera to front and viceversa with a double twist (in this case it's an empty activity with only the title, for this I don't put the screenshot):
Screenshot_20180205-135534.png Screenshot_20180205-135628.png
They could simply be stock code residuals, but for the gestures on the fingerprint reader there is the animation of what appears to be a Nokia 7 (or one of the new Nokia 7 Plus and Nokia 8 Sirocco or 9), while for the gesture to emulate the navigation keys, I've never seen similar ones. From animations and descriptions it's clear that, when you hide the navigation bar, you can go back with a swipe upward in the bottom left; to home with a swipe upward in the bottom center and a swipe upward on bottom right for recent apps (iPhone X style :D ).

Finally this seems to be a screen to choose a different color profile, but it doesn't seem to work, so it may very well be a residual stock software not implemented:
Screenshot_20180205-135522.jpg

I found these activities in the Android 8.1 beta for Nokia 8, I don't know if they are also present in the stable build of Android 8. It seems that something is actually in development, like the Glance, while the rest could be customizations for the chinese ROM of the Nokia 7, or maybe something in the making for new devices cooming soon.

If you want to browse or find other "news", it's all reachable by creating shortcuts to these activities using the appropriate Nova widget. You can find these among the System UI and Settings activities (.keyguard.glance.testing.GlanceSettingsActivityForTesting, .keyguard.glance.PrimaryNotificationIndicatorsSettings, .keyguard.glance.NotificationIndicatorsMainSettings, .keyguard.glance.GlanceStyleSettingsActivity, .Setting$DoubleTwistSuggestionActivity, .Settings$SwipeToNotificationSuggestionActivity, .Settings$SoftkeySettingsActivity, .Settings$NavigationBarSettingsActivity, .Settings$ScreenModeActivity) .
If you decide to take a look, pay attention to what you do, because starting certain activities could make the device unusable. For example, by starting the activity of FQC, a tool used to test and approve the units in production, it will be extremely difficult to exit, the shutdown and forced reboot of the device is also inhibited (hmd should remove it from the final software, but if I'm not mistaken, it was also present in the stable build of Android 8).
Do it at your own risk.

noise.se

Dec 21, 2017
Even if it doesn't do anything yet it still gave me a bit of hope about the glance screen. Nice findings :)

In the settings there are some hidden activities of debugging, testing and experimental settings for the Glance Screen.
As you can see from the screenshots below, they would allow to change the backlight, the number of notifications to be displayed (four or six), the activation delay, the style of the screen, add new apps (still very few) to the usual three and have an extended view of events in program.

Actually, they appear to be only screens without management code, since nothing seems to work, except for the debugging settings in the fourth screen. Those actually affect the backlighting of the screen and the white tone of the characters (but could simply be related to the variation of backlighting).

As for the gesture, there are activities (not working) to activate the gesture on the fingerprint reader, to manage the virtual navigation bar (these should not affect the Nokia 8, since it has capacitive keys) and to switch from rear camera to front and viceversa with a double twist (in this case it's an empty activity with only the title, for this I don't put the screenshot):

They could simply be stock code residuals, but for the gestures on the fingerprint reader there is the animation of what appears to be a Nokia 7 (or one of the new Nokia 7 Plus and Nokia 8 Sirocco or 9), while for the gesture to emulate the navigation keys, I've never seen similar ones. From animations and descriptions it's clear that, when you hide the navigation bar, you can go back with a swipe upward in the bottom left; to home with a swipe upward in the bottom center and a swipe upward on bottom right for recent apps (iPhone X style :D ).

Finally this seems to be a screen to choose a different color profile, but it doesn't seem to work, so it may very well be a residual stock software not implemented:

I found these activities in the Android 8.1 beta for Nokia 8, I don't know if they are also present in the stable build of Android 8. It seems that something is actually in development, like the Glance, while the rest could be customizations for the chinese ROM of the Nokia 7, or maybe something in the making for new devices cooming soon.

If you want to browse or find other "news", it's all reachable by creating shortcuts to these activities using the appropriate Nova widget. You can find these among the System UI and Settings activities (.keyguard.glance.testing.GlanceSettingsActivityForTesting, .keyguard.glance.PrimaryNotificationIndicatorsSettings, .keyguard.glance.NotificationIndicatorsMainSettings, .keyguard.glance.GlanceStyleSettingsActivity, .Setting$DoubleTwistSuggestionActivity, .Settings$SwipeToNotificationSuggestionActivity, .Settings$SoftkeySettingsActivity, .Settings$NavigationBarSettingsActivity, .Settings$ScreenModeActivity) .
If you decide to take a look, pay attention to what you do, because starting certain activities could make the device unusable. For example, by starting the activity of FQC, a tool used to test and approve the units in production, it will be extremely difficult to exit, the shutdown and forced reboot of the device is also inhibited (hmd should remove it from the final software, but if I'm not mistaken, it was also present in the stable build of Android 8).
Do it at your own risk.

cri347

Nov 22, 2016
Google Pixel 6
I tested it here, there are no options other than adjusting screen brightness of glance.
(default 8.0)

So, if in Android 8 are absent most of those Activity, it means that something is actually in development, hopefully. We'll know more with the next beta, maybe coming with the february security patches in a few days.

Sent from my Nokia 8 using XDA Labs
_________________________________________________________________________________________

EDIT: here the animation of the gestures usable in the future Nokia devices (maybe), when the virtual navigation bar will be hidden (it's a gif, click on it to open and see it):
View attachment 4411189

Last edited:

dicks66

Mar 10, 2011
It would be really nice if they add the following to the Glance Screen options:

1. Option to auto disable after 5 and 15 minutes
2. Option to change color of the text (red, green, grey, blue) at selectable start/stop date

MrBelter

Apr 10, 2011
Finally this seems to be a screen to choose a different color profile, but it doesn't seem to work, so it may very well be a residual stock software not implemented

When i first ever booted my Nokia 8 it asked me what colour profile i wanted to use as part of the set up procedure.

MrBelter

Apr 10, 2011
It didn't offer me anything like this. The first setup I did that it had Android 7.1.1 and the august security patches.

You had to be quick to spot it, it was in the bit where you are doing the initial set up, it was before the phone was up and running and doing things like installing patches.

supera3

Sep 11, 2011
View attachment 4410278 View attachment 4410279 View attachment 4410280 View attachment 4410281 View attachment 4410282

View attachment 4410285 View attachment 4410286

View attachment 4410287

Do it at your own risk.

And which widget i have to put to find these hidden settings?

cri347

Nov 22, 2016
Google Pixel 6
Hi, there are some updates about the improved Glance.

On the Nokia 8 Sirocco there is the new and improved Glance screen, I don't know why on our Nokia 8 there is still the old one and the new is present only as testing activities.

If you see this post on the italian Nokioteca community there are some screens of the settings of the new Glance, with the different styles and the always-on in the timing settings (but the Sirocco has an OLED display).
The owner of the Sirocco, un_padovano, also confirms that all apps are supported for notifications, not only the few of the old one or experimental version.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Screenshot_20180205-135322.png Screenshot_20180205-135354.png Screenshot_20180205-135419.png Screenshot_20180205-135431.png Screenshot_20180205-135455.png

Screenshot_20180205-135534.png Screenshot_20180205-135628.png

Screenshot_20180205-135522.jpg

Do it at your own risk.
    I tested it here, there are no options other than adjusting screen brightness of glance.
    (default 8.0)

So, if in Android 8 are absent most of those Activity, it means that something is actually in development, hopefully. We'll know more with the next beta, maybe coming with the february security patches in a few days.

_________________________________________________________________________________________

EDIT: here the animation of the gestures usable in the future Nokia devices (maybe), when the virtual navigation bar will be hidden (it's a gif, click on it to open and see it):
    View attachment 4411189
    Hi, there are some updates about the improved Glance.

On the Nokia 8 Sirocco there is the new and improved Glance screen, I don't know why on our Nokia 8 there is still the old one and the new is present only as testing activities.

If you see this post on the italian Nokioteca community there are some screens of the settings of the new Glance, with the different styles and the always-on in the timing settings (but the Sirocco has an OLED display).
    The owner of the Sirocco, un_padovano, also confirms that all apps are supported for notifications, not only the few of the old one or experimental version.
    No way to see WhatsApp notification on glance screen , is real shi t