[Q] Unstable performance with all ROMs

Search This thread

baccaruda

Feb 5, 2013
Seattle
My EVO 4G LTE has, with all custom ROMs, lost stability after a month or two, developing different arrays of performance quirks or problems.

I'm interested in if there's a way to test the hardware on the phone? I'm tired of switching / reinstalling ROMs.

At first I thought the problem was that the ROMs were unstable but I've chosen from the bet ones available - PACman, Viper, a couple others I can't recall right now. The phone is rooted via Dirty Racun FYI...

Currently, with Carbon, the problems consist of:
With screen lock off, when waking the phone via the power button, something on the current screen will activate, whether it's an app shortcut on the homescreen, or a function inside of an active app.
Setting for LTE / 3G will not stay on 3G (LTE coverage is spotty enough that I just don't use it)
Random crashes / resets / bootloops; occasionally the phone will freeze on the loading screen with the Carbon logo and require me to hard-reset it.
Once in a while it's ignored my alarm clock.
Usually when dialing out, the phone will hang and fail to connect / ring, and I'll have to hang up and dial out a 2nd time to connect / ring through.

With ROMs I've used in the past, the arrays of problems have been different but of similar nature. At first I was inclined to blame the ROM in use but as my phone is the common element between them, I'm interested in how I can determine if I have a lemon on my hands or what.

Thanks for reading this.

Last edited:

Captain_Throwback

Recognized Developer
I'm not unwilling to do that, but I have extra time this weekend to run diagnostics as well if there's any method by which that's possible? It seems to take a few weeks for problems to start developing when I install a fresh ROM.
Any such diagnostics when not on a stock ROM can be issues with the custom ROM, not the device. If they occur when on stock, that helps determine hardware may be at fault.

Most of the AOSP ROMs suffer from kernel and data issues because they use the same base. You might want to try the Android 4.3 RUU as well since that's the latest we have for the device.

Last edited: