FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA
Honor 7x
Win an Honor 7X!

Anything related to Sound: features or fix requests. v10: Bass Boost

3,546 posts
Thanks Meter: 5,095

By supercurio, Retired Senior Recognized Developer on 12th October 2010, 05:43 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
23rd May 2011, 08:38 PM |#2341  
Retired Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter: 40

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by supercurio

Hi ! Its already the case in Voodoo sound Plus

Doesn't seem to work for me.

24th May 2011, 09:58 PM |#2342  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
After buying the Galaxy SII, I'm now returning to Galaxy S. I missed the sound.
I have a question that's a bit OT. I read somewhere that mp3s which have been converted (lame codec) with the VBR and highest quality sound better than mp3s with 320 kbs CBR. What do you think?
Cheers!
24th May 2011, 10:02 PM |#2343  
Thanks Meter: 66

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodend

After buying the Galaxy SII, I'm now returning to Galaxy S. I missed the sound.
I have a question that's a bit OT. I read somewhere that mp3s which have been converted (lame codec) with the VBR and highest quality sound better than mp3s with 320 kbs CBR. What do you think?
Cheers!

Can I have your S II?

And no, you won't be able to hear the difference. But if you must have the highest possible quality, consider compressing with FLAC.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using XDA App
24th May 2011, 10:29 PM |#2344  
Thanks Meter: 20

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodend

I read somewhere that mp3s which have been converted (lame codec) with the VBR and highest quality sound better than mp3s with 320 kbs CBR.

AFAIK 320 kbit/s is the maximum bitrate for mp3, so VBR can only go lower, not higher, thus saving space in places where the higher bitrate is not needed. The only way I can see that VBR could be better than max-bitrate CBR is if the specific encoder used incidentally applies a better psychoacoustic model on the "more modern" VBR setting.
25th May 2011, 06:55 AM |#2345  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Thanks guys.
The reason they gave was that there hasn't been any developement for CBR for years. They also did a blind test between VBR and Flac and couldn't hear any differences.
25th May 2011, 10:45 AM |#2346  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Voodoo sound and the Official Galaxy S dock
Hi There

Apologies if this has been covered before but I can't seem to find the definitive answer to this problem. I have voodoo sound installed with the Speedmod kernel and with both the Speedmod and the original Curio kernels I get poor sound when attempting to use the home dock.

I have tried both the official Samsung home dock software and some others on the market but the noise coming through the lineout is pretty consistent.

Has anyone come up with a solution for this? I know that if I remove the USB plug the sound quality is restored but I would like to have the option to recharge the unit whilst playing music. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Rick.
25th May 2011, 12:53 PM |#2347  
Thanks Meter: 5

More
Forgive me for being stupid here (if I am)

A while ago I used to have this kernel and it fixed the problem I had of the external speaker only playing on music channel of sound (left or right) and when listening to something with strong separation like The Beatles that's very important! It was great!

But now I'm on Gingerbread (DebusROM G1 & damianGTO kernel) and the single channel playback problem has returned. I've tried other kernels that supposedly include voodoo sound but the external speaker still only plays the left or right channel.

Is there a kernel from here directly that works for Gingerbread?
25th May 2011, 01:26 PM |#2348  
OP Retired Senior Recognized Developer
Flag Chambéry
Thanks Meter: 5,095

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarrenCarnall

Forgive me for being stupid here (if I am)

A while ago I used to have this kernel and it fixed the problem I had of the external speaker only playing on music channel of sound (left or right) and when listening to something with strong separation like The Beatles that's very important! It was great!

But now I'm on Gingerbread (DebusROM G1 & damianGTO kernel) and the single channel playback problem has returned. I've tried other kernels that supposedly include voodoo sound but the external speaker still only plays the left or right channel.

Is there a kernel from here directly that works for Gingerbread?

DamianGTO kernels are violating the GPL license since a long time and what you say here just confirms I need to blacklist this crap.
You can try mine: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=975349 but you'll find many other alternatives here on XDA.
25th May 2011, 07:11 PM |#2349  
Thanks Meter: 5

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by supercurio

DamianGTO kernels are violating the GPL license since a long time and what you say here just confirms I need to blacklist this crap.
You can try mine: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=975349 but you'll find many other alternatives here on XDA.

Oh I'm sorry I don't know anything about what you're saying there about violations? I'll try the one you suggested though. Thanks!
25th May 2011, 07:57 PM |#2350  
Flag Hong Kong
Thanks Meter: 17

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarrenCarnall

Oh I'm sorry I don't know anything about what you're saying there about violations? I'll try the one you suggested though. Thanks!

to my understanding if you publish a Linux kernel you are required to open-source (provide source when requested by other devs) it under the gpl license. damiangto refused to release sources of his kernels so he was violating the gpl rules.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using XDA Premium App
26th May 2011, 11:31 PM |#2351  
Thanks Meter: 63

More
supercurio, any chance you would consider a check on, check off option for fade out-fade in song track transition?

My music library has very abrupt endings and beginnings of the songs. A quick fade on the ends and a quick rise on the front end would be very useful.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
voodoo

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)