The real reason the kaisers eats up battery

Search This thread

HOLLIDAY1183

Apr 30, 2007
White Plains, NY
Will Experiment

Hmmm...

I was looking for an extra battery with a higher capacity as I am not happy with the current performance, but for one I personally couldn't stand to buy an extended battery that would make my Tilt larger, and also, of course, I'd like to keep my money in my pocket if I can (AT&T gets enough of it already).

But I will hold off on that and try turning off 3G in Dutty's 6-button Comm Mgr. and see if the difference is significant. I'm in the metro area of NY and usually in HSPDA or 3G much of the time. For my personal uses 3G isn't really important as I hardly ever surf, just get email from 2 accts every hour.

Will report the difference on both me and my girl's Tilts, if it's significantly better without 3G (may have to "borrow" her battery depending on the results;)...)

aberz

Mar 27, 2008
Houston TX
Here's an idea. Choose which statement you want to make instead of contradicting yourself. That's for my 3G statement.

As far as the rest of your sarcastic follow-up, I own and mod both the iPhone and Tilt. Whether my opinion on which is better means anything to you or another reader, I actually have a "hands-on" experience using both daily. The iPhone is superior in OS, battery life, design, and over-all "phone" use. Get your facts straight about the data plan too. When I purchased the Tilt after having the iPhone on my account first, they switched my 'plan' to a Tilt oriented Unlimited Data (why would you even own a Tilt with anything less) plan, so all that changed was Visual Voice Mail (whuppittydoo), not the $$. :rolleyes: If your friends are as educated on the iPhone as yourself I'll take thier opinions on the device and file them under "Former Sidekick Owners" also, and while you're trying to beat off an attacker to "defend" yourself with that dead-battery-brick, maybe I'll stop my 10th hour of podcast listening to see if ya want me to call 911 on my iPhone. lol.

you win you win , this victory is yours, dear my knowing everything and well educated keyboard warrior. Hope you sleep well with your epeen stroke tonight. ( a tip for you , when 911 get there you are dead. How about crack that guy skull with a tilt head shot ? see, I am not as educated as you but I got common sense )

Back with my poor tilt users ( yeah , Iphone win )
Yea, before I bought the tilt , I already knew it doesnt have a good battery life. I dont talk a lot but I am a heavy internet user, and mostly wifi. Not even 3g, wifi eat up battery fast. thats why I try to plug my tilt into a pc as soon as possible. I think its the only solution for me. Beside, I dont think I will use 3g since I almost have wifi around me. Will think about buying a spare battery with larger capacity.

Currently using the newest dutty rom ( April 9th ), with 16pp version ( from all the way). The speed I think is optimum and it does help battery life. No special set up here. I actually did a battery benchmark on 3 different page pool version, 16, 24 and 32. 16 win , the margin is not big , but considerable. The test result, however, is not absolute so I just use as reference.

Last edited:

neva dinova

Mar 20, 2007
austin
As a Network Engineer I am using my phone constantly. Sometimes you wish people didn't know that you had the ability to always check your email :rolleyes:

I unplug mine at 7:30am. I read and reply to 80+ emails, talk for 2-3hours (while typing on laptop), use Opera Mini for 15-30mins, use blutooth for file transfers, use Wifi to test the wireless network, run WIFIFOFUM, and other phone general things. I will be at 15% charge by the time I get home at 6:30. Sometimes I'm lucky enough to to use my USB cable to charge it and I'll be fine all night.

I knew the Tilt have fair to below average battery life before I bought it. It's like buying a Vette or any other V8 car and expecting awesome gas mileage, it's not going to happen.

The Iphones do have a fairly good battery usage time. Just like their Ipods can last forever. They have had lots of R&D time to make it all work.

Some people say I should have bought an Iphone, but I am very happy with my little black brick. It feels sturdy and fits well in my massive bear hands (6'6tall)

I understand the corvette comparison but its still a bit odd to me that the battery dies so fast. sure since its a smart phone its not going to have the great battery life some of the simpler phones have but it doesnt have half the battery life of my hermes and that i find odd.

bnycastro

I leave my TyTN II on 2G mode only when I am not surfing using data. I also dial down the brightness to 2 ticks and make it go to sleep after 3 minutes. I can't say I use my device heavily and when I do I'm usually on my bed and plugged in via my charger [in between notebooks so I use my TyTN II at home to surf and entertain myself]. Also I make it a point to have the device sync'd to my desktop when I'm at work. I know this isn't much of a help for those who are always out of the office/away from the mains but I do hope people who do have access to power keep their devices plugged in so they always step out 100%, of course investing in a USB car charger is also a good idea they're cheap and portable. My Nokia 6267 which I use for my 2nd SIM [unlimitted voice and sms to same network] lasts 1.5 days also on 2G mode no surfing or anything else just lot's of calls and SMS.

kilrah

Sep 16, 2005
but it doesnt have half the battery life of my hermes and that i find odd.

Then it has a problem. Mine holds something like 30% longer, and that's with heavier usage than my Hermes.

3G is known to draw more power when active and transmitting (on call/data transfer), but in standby it's drawing less than GSM.

TechXL

Apr 5, 2007
Harrogate, UK
You will easy get double the battery life with 3G turned off so if you don't use much internet access then that's what you should do.
If that's the case though I'd be asking why you're using a Kaiser and not just a normal phone which would give you better call quality and longer battery life???
You can't have it all.
I think a lot of people buy these phones just for the feature list and never actually use it for what it's meant for then complain the battery is crap!
Also if the signal is low in your area the phone will be working harder and using more power but that applies to 2G and 3G.

I'm a network manager and think the battery life is actually very good.
I'm a very heavy user of all the features apart from GPS which I don't use much as I have a dedicated SatNav in the car.
I maybe make 1 to 2 hours of calls, send 20 or so SMS, read and reply to about 100 mails, do a bit of 3G and WiFi browsing and testing plus read a few RSS feeds and ebooks at home. The PDA features are constantly in use and the phone must be on and active in my hand adding calendar entries, tasks and viewing my security wallet for passwords etc at least 4 hours of my working day.
Like this the phone lasts all day with about 40% remaining at midnight when I plug it in to charge.
You can get higher capacity batteries that still fit inside the unit, unlike the normal ones that make the phone twice the size. Battery technology is improving all the time.

The problem I have when using 2G is that most of my calls get missed because the phone is using Exchange push-mail and checking 4 POP mail accounts every 30 mins so there is almost always an active data connection.
With 3G the calls still come through fine but on 2G the calls often go to voice mail.

Chris.

P.S anyone who dares to compare a Kaiser with an iPhone and uses the word "fanboi" should be sent back to the school they just left and then shot on completion of their education :rolleyes: LOL

pharaohamps

Mar 31, 2008
I've had my Tilt for about 2 weeks, and I'm finally getting decent battery life with it. When I first started with it, I was using SEVEN to aggregate all my email accounts, which works very well. The problem I had with SEVEN was that you can't specify how often you want emails checked / pushed, and then the application sits there on your Today screen trying to connect all day. I'd be at 15% battery after 10 hours with only 5-6 calls and very limited web use.

Once I figured out that ActiveSync can handle all your POP / IMAP accounts as well, I moved over to using the normal WM6 messaging setup for my Exchange + Yahoo + Gmail + ISP mail, and set up the push / sync frequency as desired. My Exchange mail (work) pushes when items arrive while I'm at work, and everything else is either hourly or every 2 hours since I don't need to get them that often.

This weekend I got 2 days use, that includes playing XM Radio over the speaker for over an hour! I turned it off Sunday night after I was awakened by the BUZZZ of incoming email :0 but it still had 27% this morning when I switched it back on.

Mine is an AT&T Tilt running XDA Live 1.5 with all my apps installed on top of the ROM.

bennyj71

Feb 23, 2008
New Orleans
My Tilt's battery used last about 8hrs.(30 calls/3hrs of music/Yahoo email every 2hrs/60min of surfing). Unfortunately, I have only been getting about 3 hours. This has been going on for the past 6 weeks. I live in a 3g area but have been working in a 2g area since the problems has started. I have installed Opera 9.33 beta, Skyfire beta, Voice Command, Tom Tom 6 in this time. Do you guys know of any issues with any of these programs sucking power? BTW-- I don't use Opera(can't uninstall),used Tom Tom 3 times.

tjboggs13

Oct 12, 2007
Something besides just 3G chews up the battery

Two months ago, I put the clean AT&T Tilt load on my device, with no bloatware. I started trying different applications like SPB's phonesuite and other UI interfaces. So basically, I junked up my Mobile device. During this time, my device could usually make it from 6 AM to 10 PM before it died. I get push e-mail, text alerts, would use GPS with Traffice service to and from work (while powered).

I tried some software and it really didn't work well, so I uninstalled it and the uninstall did not go well, locking up the device. Around that time, my battery life improved dramatically. From 6 AM to 6 PM it only used 25%. I could now go two days with a single charge. I even started using the GPS without being on power and it didn't take much of a hit. Also around this time, I had started disabling 3G, but I had tested it before and didn't see much of an improvement. I thought maybe they had added another tower near my work and between disabling 3G and a stronger signal it was making it better.

I ran like this for about a month and everything was great with one exception. The device would intermittantly stop responding to touch or key entry. I would press two to three times before it responded. I thought they buttons were going bad along with the screen.

Finally I installed one more app that totally broke my phone, so I had to run clean storage. After that, my battery life is back to normal. 100% dead in 15-18 hours. Does not make sense to me.

It makes me think there is a service running on the device that is a battery hog that could be disabled with minimal impact to functionality. I am thinking maybe TouchFlo? I seem to remember a thread about it causing high utilization when the screen is touched.

I wish I could recreate the events that caused my battery life to go up.

mitchelbasa

Apr 18, 2008
mines lasts 2 sometimes 3 days with one full charge.. i read a article somewhere that when you first get your phone (or any new device) your suppose to let it die first then charge it. it'll help your battery last longer. after your first charge wait `till you have low battery (like when its on the red bar) then charge it. i use it a lot too. im almost always on aim and i also text and surf the web a lot.

rfbrandao

May 13, 2008
Sao Paulo
I've decided to get a Mugen 3000mAh battery after realizing Tytn battery won't last like a regular cell phone. Actually, this is NOT a regular cell phone, right?
Worse than using 3G is staying in a place with low signal coverage. My office has terrible cell phone coverage and that made my original battery need to be recharged every day, somedays it was at 10% just after 10 hours at work with moderate usage. I've set network to Manual and turned 3G off on Laurentius V4. With original battery I have 2 days battery life and now Mugen gives 4-5 days. I am not a heavy user, but I can say I have dozens calls a day.
Anyways, GPS and Wi-Fi will draw all power really fast regardless the size of your battery... Get a car charger if you use your Tytn II GPS to help you at traffic.

bennyj71

Feb 23, 2008
New Orleans
I believe the problem is in the software installed. I have Voice Command. Do you guys have it installed? I would assume that the program has to be on all the time in order to announce calls and messages. Whatever the program it doesn't show up in the taskmanager. I fully charged my battery when I got my phone, but I've never gotten more than about 9 hours on 1 charge. Like I said now it's about 3.

khaytsus

Apr 8, 2008
Central Kentucky
I've been doing a bit of experimentation on my Kaiser and I've found that 3G is a bit of a hit but it's not that bad, but it does depend on how much data you do.

The following are some numbers from my device/my area/my usage/my carrier/etcetc.... But I've checked 'em and averaged 'em a few times and they're pretty accurate for me.

I tried using Powerguard to measure, but I found itself uses quite a bit more juice just to do its thing, so here's how I've measured the following:

I pull the plug, note the time. A few hours later I check the time and the battery percent and put it in a spreadsheet which calculates the time delta, battery delta, and estimated battery usage based on percent of 1350 (Tilt battery). I'm not claiming this to be scientific data, just reproducible estimates.

Sometime I'll try against a program I've seen suggested here a few times for checking for the problem with GPS eating battery to measure and see how it does. I personally have experienced this at least 4-5 times owning the Tilt for a month. I'll exit all GPS related items and notice the battery remains warm and battery keeps dropping until I reset.

Edge/3G/HSDPS Connected with no active connections = 0
FlexMail (IMAPS, 2 online folders, 1-2 email/hr, HSDPA) = 20mAh
Flexmail and IM+ (Same as above, no IM chats, just connected) = 88mAh
Flexmail and IM+ (Same, but EDGE not HSDPA) = 37mAh

And some others..

GPS On (GPSTest running, but no lock) = 54mAh
40% Backlight (Nothing running, only on with given percent backlight) = 25mAh
100% Backlight (Nothing running, only on with given percent backlight) = 90mAh

AC Charger = 450-550mAh (550mAh when battery is low, ramps down as charging completes)
USB Charger = 450-350mAh (similar to above.. I do have active powered USB ports here)

I plan on eventually comparing the phone with bluetooth on vs off vs discoverable, TomTom 6 actively running, AiroMap scanning, etc.. I'll post that information somewhere when I get a chance to do it if anyone is interested. :) Also plan on testing it under "normal usage", ie I'm in the calendar, messing around in Resco Explorer, etc.. I have a feeling a "normal" usage is a fairly high battery drain, as I've noticed dropping 3-4% just sitting on the can playing Yatzee. :D

Overall, this means I have about a 36 hour battery life with my typical Flexmail and IM+ online. That goes down to around 16 with HSDPA. Still acceptable for me since I can top off at work, but for folks who are away from the AC or they use their phone more than I do, probably best to stay on EDGE unless you need the HSDPA speeds.

FYI, I've found that on the car charger with TomTom 6 running, it uses more juice than the charger provides, so I actually drop power. Over a 2.5h drive I dropped 3-4%. Not a big problem in general if you have the car charger, but considering the charger is putting in 450-550mAh, that's a lot of juice!

Last edited: