[GUIDE][HOW TO]Build a CUSTOM ROM using android kitchen

Search This thread

ePYK me.

Jul 3, 2012
Sydney
bit.ly
"A person who never made a mistake never tried anything new"-Albert Einstein

This thread will be giving all the newbies basic knowledge on how to build custom ROMS using android Kitchen by dsixda

This is the most basic tutorial!!! Don't ever consider yourself as a developer using this.
Developer is someone who understands what a code is and writes, or enhances the present one.

What is Android Kitchen?

Linux terminal for windows – Basically a Tool created by dsixda (Recognized senior developer) which helps you customize the shipped ROMS, or modify custom ROMs for the features you like

Setting up Cygwin and android kitchen

1. You will need java jdk to run the kitchen – you can download it from here
2. Download and extract the kitchen from here
3. Run the setup (.exe) and follow the instructions or the read me text file in the downloaded zip file.
4. local package directory *must* be the path to the cygwin_packages folder that you just extracted
5. when it shows all the package names, go to the top and select "all <-> default" until it changes to "all <-> install" (you must click on the arrows)
6. Now you have Cygwin installed on your computer.
7. Open the shortcut on the desktop and close it. It will include three files in the Cygwin folder.
8. Now it’s time to add kitchen to your folder. Go here and download the kitchen files.
9. Extract the downloaded kitchen files Cygwin folder C:\cygwin\home\(Your user name) and rename it as kitchen
Ex: Android-Kitchen-0.218 to kitchen.
10. Now your kitchen is ready for COOKING!!:cool::highfive:

Starting with the kitchen

1. Open Cygwin , it should open with your username as the directory
2. You will have to change the directory to the kitchen
Code:
  cd kitchen 
  ./menu
3. This will take you to the menu which has list of things that can be performed using the kitchen.(Below)
Code:
===================================================================
 Android Kitchen - by dsixda (xda-developers.com)

Main Menu

1. Set up working folder from ROM
 2. Add root permissions
 3. Add BusyBox
 4. Disable boot screen sounds
 5. Add wireless tethering
 6. Zipalign all *.apk files to optimize RAM usage
 7. Change wipe status of ROM
 8. Change name of ROM
 9. Check update-script for errors
10. Show working folder information

To give a head start
I am going to explain how to create a working folder >>You need a ROM (Which is a .ZIP file)

1. You can use a stock rom (OTA update from HTC or an RUU(extracting ZIP from RUU will be explained below)
2. Or, you can use custom ROM that you have downloaded.
Remember you are using someone else’s hard work, Do not Upload your cooked ROM
- Unless you have changed lot of the features and you might think that will help the original rom developers a lot(which can never happen!!!
-You take prior permission from the Original ROM developer and give proper credits upon their acceptance to upload
3. Place the ROM in the original update folder (i.e. C:\cygwin\home\\(Your user name)\kitchen\original_update
4. Go to the Menu on the kitchen
By opening Cygwin>cd kitchen>./menu
5. Select option 1 and follow instructions to setup the working folder.
6. Once the folder is setup you can verify it by going to the kitchen folder.
7. You can change the system apps, Bootanimations, Default walllpapers and lots.Explore and let us know!!
8. Always play safe by making a nandroid backup of your current ROM before testing!

Extracting the ROM from an RUU

This is the most simple and easiest way. There are tools which can do that for you. But I prefer this

Run the RUU and as soon as you see the device picture on the screen, Go to %temp% and find the ROM.zip, copy and paste it.You can exit the installer after copying.:victory: Done!!

Device Compatiblity:

Alphabetically:

Acer Liquid

Dell Streak 7

HTC Amaze 4G

HTC Aria / Liberty

HTC Desire

HTC Desire HD / Inspire 4G

HTC Desire S

HTC Desire Z / Vision / T-Mobile G2

HTC Dream / G1

HTC Droid Eris

HTC Evo 3D

HTC Evo 4G

HTC Evo 4G LTE

HTC Evo View 4G (untested)

HTC Evo Shift 4G

HTC Flyer (untested)

HTC HD2
- Use NAND ROM method (Please follow this thread for details)

HTC Hero / G2 Touch

HTC Incredible

HTC Incredible 2

HTC Incredible S

HTC Legend

HTC Magic / myTouch 3G

HTC myTouch 3G Slide

HTC myTouch 4G / Glacier

HTC Nexus One

HTC One S

HTC One X

HTC One XL

HTC One V

HTC Rezound

HTC Sensation

HTC Tattoo / Click

HTC Thunderbolt

HTC Wildfire / Buzz

HTC Wildfire S

Huawei Ideos X6
- Please follow this thread for details

Huawei U8100/U8110/U8120/U8150/U8160/U8180/U8650

Huawei U8220 / T-Mobile Pulse

LG Ally

LG GT540 Optimus

LG Nexus 4 (mako)

LG Optimus 2X (P990)

LG Optimus Black

LG Optimus G2X (P999)

LG P500

LG Shine Plus

LG Vortex

Micromax A60

Motorola Atrix (unconfirmed)

Motorola CLIQ / CLIQ XT

Motorola Droid

Motorola Droid Bionic

Motorola Milestone (unconfirmed)
- You may need to remove the boot.img before building

Samsung Galaxy Ace 2 - GT-I8160(L/P)

Samsung Galaxy Mini

Samsung Galaxy Nexus (untested, 'maguro' and 'toro' versions only)

Samsung Galaxy Note
- GT-N7000 - please follow this thread for details
- SGH-I717 - Please follow this thread for details

Samsung Galaxy Note 2
- Supported for:
-- Sprint variants - SPH-L900 - Please follow this guide
-- T-Mobile variants - SGH-T889(V) - Please follow this guide
-- Verizon variants - SCH-I605
(unconfirmed - see this equivalent guide)
-- International variants - GT-N7100/N7105(T)/N7108
-- AT&T/Rogers/Bell/Telus variants - SGH-I317(M)
-- US Cellular variants - SCH-R950

Samsung Galaxy R GT-I9103

Samsung Galaxy S (GT-I9000 and most variants)

Samsung Galaxy S Plus (GT-I9001)

Samsung Galaxy S2
- Supported for:
-- GT-I9100 and Exynos CPU variants - Please follow this thread for details
-- Qualcomm/LTE variants
(AT&T Skyrocket, Rogers, Telus, T-Mobile, Bell HD LTE SGH-I757M,
Telstra GT-I9210T)

Samsung Galaxy S3
- Supported for:
-- T-Mobile/Mobilicity/Wind variants: SGH-T999(V) - Click here for a guide
-- AT&T/Rogers/Bell/Telus variants: SGH-I747(M) - Click here for a guide
-- Verizon variants: SCH-I535, SCH-R530U - Click here for a guide
-- Sprint variants: SPH-L710, SCH-L710 - Click here for a guide
-- International variants: GT-I9300(T) - Click here for a guide
-- International LTE variants: GT-I9305(T) - Click here for a guide
-- Korean variants: SHV-E210K/L/S and SHW-M440S (unconfirmed)

Samsung Galaxy W (GT-I8150)

Samsung Nexus S / Nexus S 4G

Sony Ericsson Xperia 2010 devices (X10 / X10 Mini / X10 Mini Pro)
- Can only build ROM without boot.img (please follow this thread for details)

Sony Xperia 2011-12 devices, specifically:
- TX, P, U, Sola
- Active, Arc, Arc S, Mini, Mini Pro, Neo, Neo V, Neo L,
Play, Ray (follow steps below):
- Can only build ROM without boot.img
- If using stock FTF for kitchen:
1) Unzip FTF file, extract the system.sin
2) Dump system image from system.sin w/ Flashtool
(Advanced-> SIN Editor)
3) Rename dumped file to system.img
- OR If using Nandroid backups: Rename system.yaffs2.img to system.img
- Use this system.img in kitchen's original_update folder
- WARNING - If using a ROM made from system.sin (not Nandroid), it
is recommended to flash from the temporary (fastboot) Clockwork
Recovery, rather than the regular Clockwork Recovery, otherwise
device may not boot (possibly because custom recovery files in
system folder are not added to ROM? e.g. recovery.tar).

ZTE Blade / Orange San Francisco

P.S: I take no responsibility of anything happening to your device, PC. Think Before proceeding.
Everything worked perfectly for me, I am just sharing what I did! Do not blame me for anything.

You can thank dsixda on his Kitchen Thread

If I helped you anyway, Say thanks by hitting the button - Some say its free!!;)

Last edited:

dheerubhai

Mar 19, 2013
List updated in OP:rolleyes:

sent from my oc'd incS

I m really impressed by the LG optimus g user interface and have long been waiting to get that on my phone.
how is everyone missing that ...it would be really a great pleasure if we could get that on our galaxy note n7000. I am not a developer otherwise i would have been doing something to cook that for our phone and for all the galaxy note lovers!!
I can't wait to see that on my phone..it would look very cool. Please someone take the initiative... m requesting the senior members..or suggest me a way that i could start
doing it on my own and please tell me if we can cook the rom for galaxy note android kitchen from the lg optimus g stock jelly bean rom.
for those who have not seen the optimus g ui..please visit http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PsDgynTEup8
very cool features!!
i would really appreciate any reply from senior members.
Thanks

---------- Post added at 01:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:52 PM ----------

A humble request to you!
I m really impressed by the LG optimus g user interface and have long been waiting to get that on my phone.
I don't know how is everyone missing that ...it would be really a great pleasure if we could get that on our galaxy note n7000. I am not a developer otherwise i would have been doing something to cook that for our phone and for all the galaxy note lovers!!
I can't wait to see that on my phone..it would look very cool. Please tell me if you can take the initiative... m requesting the senior members if they can do something..or suggest me a way that i could start doing it on my own and please tell me if we can cook the rom for galaxy note from android kitchen from the lg optimus g stock jelly bean rom.:cool:
please visit http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PsDgynTEup8
very cool features!! :cool::cool::cool:
i would really appreciate any reply from senior members.:good::good:
Please make me a quick reply!!

---------- Post added at 01:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:10 PM ----------

A humble request to you!
I don't know how is everyone missing that ...it would be really a great pleasure if we could get that on our galaxy note n7000. I am not a developer otherwise i would have been doing something to cook that for our phone and for all the galaxy note lovers!!
I can't wait to see that on my phone..it would look very cool. Please tell me if you can take the initiative... m requesting the senior members if they can do something..or suggest me a way that i could start doing it on my own and please tell me if we can cook the rom for galaxy note from android kitchen from the lg optimus g stock jelly bean rom.:cool:

LamboBull

Sep 23, 2012
Melbourne
how is everyone missing that ...it would be really a great pleasure if we could get that on our galaxy note n7000. I am not a developer otherwise i would have been doing something to cook that for our phone and for all the galaxy note lovers!!
I can't wait to see that on my phone..it would look very cool. Please someone take the initiative... m requesting the senior members..or suggest me a way that i could start
doing it on my own and please tell me if we can cook the rom for galaxy note android kitchen from the lg optimus g stock jelly bean rom.
for those who have not seen the optimus g ui..please visit http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PsDgynTEup8
very cool features!!
Thanks

---------- Post added at 01:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:52 PM ----------

A humble request to you!

---------- Post added at 01:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:10 PM ----------

A humble request to you!

The fact that you spammed an essay is not going to do anything. If you want something for the Note, ask in that forum, not the IncS forum.

If you want to build something, Google it. Don't spam it here.

Click thanks if I helped you out!

omareziz

Feb 17, 2013
Islamabad
List updated in OP:rolleyes:

sent from my oc'd incS

Hi. When you say cooking from an official ruu does it mean I can use a deodexed ruu of jb desire X and try porting it to incredible S and if that requires some additional steps or advanced one can you guide me?
I'm grateful for what y already have shared just curious. Thank you

Sent from my HTC Incredible S using xda app-developers app

Jan 5, 2013
Hi. When you say cooking from an official ruu does it mean I can use a deodexed ruu of jb desire X and try porting it to incredible S and if that requires some additional steps or advanced one can you guide me?

You can't really cook a ROM for which we have no kernel now can we? I mean even if you had successfully ported the ROM, it wouldn't boot because you don't have a kernel. :eek:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    "A person who never made a mistake never tried anything new"-Albert Einstein

This thread will be giving all the newbies basic knowledge on how to build custom ROMS using android Kitchen by dsixda

This is the most basic tutorial!!! Don't ever consider yourself as a developer using this.
    Developer is someone who understands what a code is and writes, or enhances the present one.

What is Android Kitchen?

Linux terminal for windows – Basically a Tool created by dsixda (Recognized senior developer) which helps you customize the shipped ROMS, or modify custom ROMs for the features you like

Setting up Cygwin and android kitchen

1. You will need java jdk to run the kitchen – you can download it from here
    2. Download and extract the kitchen from here
    3. Run the setup (.exe) and follow the instructions or the read me text file in the downloaded zip file.
    4. local package directory *must* be the path to the cygwin_packages folder that you just extracted
    5. when it shows all the package names, go to the top and select "all <-> default" until it changes to "all <-> install" (you must click on the arrows)
    6. Now you have Cygwin installed on your computer.
    7. Open the shortcut on the desktop and close it. It will include three files in the Cygwin folder.
    8. Now it’s time to add kitchen to your folder. Go here and download the kitchen files.
    9. Extract the downloaded kitchen files Cygwin folder C:\cygwin\home\(Your user name) and rename it as kitchen
    Ex: Android-Kitchen-0.218 to kitchen.
    10. Now your kitchen is ready for COOKING!!:cool::highfive:

Starting with the kitchen

1. Open Cygwin , it should open with your username as the directory
    2. You will have to change the directory to the kitchen
    Code:
      cd kitchen 
      ./menu
    3. This will take you to the menu which has list of things that can be performed using the kitchen.(Below)
    Code:
     Android Kitchen - by dsixda (xda-developers.com)

Main Menu

1. Set up working folder from ROM
     2. Add root permissions
     3. Add BusyBox
     4. Disable boot screen sounds
     5. Add wireless tethering
     6. Zipalign all *.apk files to optimize RAM usage
     7. Change wipe status of ROM
     8. Change name of ROM
     9. Check update-script for errors
    10. Show working folder information

To give a head start
    I am going to explain how to create a working folder >>You need a ROM (Which is a .ZIP file)

1. You can use a stock rom (OTA update from HTC or an RUU(extracting ZIP from RUU will be explained below)
    2. Or, you can use custom ROM that you have downloaded.
    Remember you are using someone else’s hard work, Do not Upload your cooked ROM
    - Unless you have changed lot of the features and you might think that will help the original rom developers a lot(which can never happen!!!
    -You take prior permission from the Original ROM developer and give proper credits upon their acceptance to upload
    3. Place the ROM in the original update folder (i.e. C:\cygwin\home\\(Your user name)\kitchen\original_update
    4. Go to the Menu on the kitchen
    By opening Cygwin>cd kitchen>./menu
    5. Select option 1 and follow instructions to setup the working folder.
    6. Once the folder is setup you can verify it by going to the kitchen folder.
    7. You can change the system apps, Bootanimations, Default walllpapers and lots.Explore and let us know!!
    8. Always play safe by making a nandroid backup of your current ROM before testing!

Extracting the ROM from an RUU

This is the most simple and easiest way. There are tools which can do that for you. But I prefer this

Run the RUU and as soon as you see the device picture on the screen, Go to %temp% and find the ROM.zip, copy and paste it.You can exit the installer after copying.:victory: Done!!

Device Compatiblity:

Alphabetically:

Acer Liquid

Dell Streak 7

HTC Amaze 4G

HTC Aria / Liberty

HTC Desire

HTC Desire HD / Inspire 4G

HTC Desire S

HTC Desire Z / Vision / T-Mobile G2

HTC Dream / G1

HTC Droid Eris

HTC Evo 3D

HTC Evo 4G

HTC Evo 4G LTE

HTC Evo View 4G (untested)

HTC Evo Shift 4G

HTC Flyer (untested)

HTC HD2
    - Use NAND ROM method (Please follow this thread for details)

HTC Hero / G2 Touch

HTC Incredible

HTC Incredible 2

HTC Incredible S

HTC Legend

HTC Magic / myTouch 3G

HTC myTouch 3G Slide

HTC myTouch 4G / Glacier

HTC Nexus One

HTC One S

HTC One X

HTC One XL

HTC One V

HTC Rezound

HTC Sensation

HTC Tattoo / Click

HTC Thunderbolt

HTC Wildfire / Buzz

HTC Wildfire S

Huawei Ideos X6

Huawei U8100/U8110/U8120/U8150/U8160/U8180/U8650

Huawei U8220 / T-Mobile Pulse

LG Ally

LG GT540 Optimus

LG Nexus 4 (mako)

LG Optimus 2X (P990)

LG Optimus Black

LG Optimus G2X (P999)

LG P500

LG Shine Plus

LG Vortex

Micromax A60

Motorola Atrix (unconfirmed)

Motorola CLIQ / CLIQ XT

Motorola Droid

Motorola Droid Bionic

Motorola Milestone (unconfirmed)
    - You may need to remove the boot.img before building

Samsung Galaxy Ace 2 - GT-I8160(L/P)

Samsung Galaxy Mini

Samsung Galaxy Nexus (untested, 'maguro' and 'toro' versions only)

Samsung Galaxy Note
    - GT-N7000 - please follow this thread for details
    - SGH-I717 - Please follow this thread for details

Samsung Galaxy Note 2
    - Supported for:
    -- Sprint variants - SPH-L900 - Please follow this guide
    -- T-Mobile variants - SGH-T889(V) - Please follow this guide
    -- Verizon variants - SCH-I605
    -- International variants - GT-N7100/N7105(T)/N7108
    -- AT&T/Rogers/Bell/Telus variants - SGH-I317(M)
    -- US Cellular variants - SCH-R950

Samsung Galaxy R GT-I9103

Samsung Galaxy S (GT-I9000 and most variants)

Samsung Galaxy S Plus (GT-I9001)

Samsung Galaxy S2
    - Supported for:
    -- GT-I9100 and Exynos CPU variants - Please follow this thread for details
    -- Qualcomm/LTE variants
    (AT&T Skyrocket, Rogers, Telus, T-Mobile, Bell HD LTE SGH-I757M,
    Telstra GT-I9210T)

Samsung Galaxy S3
    - Supported for:
    -- T-Mobile/Mobilicity/Wind variants: SGH-T999(V) - Click here for a guide
    -- AT&T/Rogers/Bell/Telus variants: SGH-I747(M) - Click here for a guide
    -- Verizon variants: SCH-I535, SCH-R530U - Click here for a guide
    -- Sprint variants: SPH-L710, SCH-L710 - Click here for a guide
    -- International variants: GT-I9300(T) - Click here for a guide
    -- International LTE variants: GT-I9305(T) - Click here for a guide
    -- Korean variants: SHV-E210K/L/S and SHW-M440S (unconfirmed)

Samsung Galaxy W (GT-I8150)

Samsung Nexus S / Nexus S 4G

Sony Ericsson Xperia 2010 devices (X10 / X10 Mini / X10 Mini Pro)
    - Can only build ROM without boot.img (please follow this thread for details)

Sony Xperia 2011-12 devices, specifically:
    - TX, P, U, Sola
    - Active, Arc, Arc S, Mini, Mini Pro, Neo, Neo V, Neo L,
    Play, Ray (follow steps below):
    - Can only build ROM without boot.img
    - If using stock FTF for kitchen:
    1) Unzip FTF file, extract the system.sin
    2) Dump system image from system.sin w/ Flashtool
    (Advanced-> SIN Editor)
    3) Rename dumped file to system.img
    - OR If using Nandroid backups: Rename system.yaffs2.img to system.img
    - Use this system.img in kitchen's original_update folder
    - WARNING - If using a ROM made from system.sin (not Nandroid), it
    is recommended to flash from the temporary (fastboot) Clockwork
    Recovery, rather than the regular Clockwork Recovery, otherwise
    device may not boot (possibly because custom recovery files in
    system folder are not added to ROM? e.g. recovery.tar).

ZTE Blade / Orange San Francisco

P.S: I take no responsibility of anything happening to your device, PC. Think Before proceeding.
    Everything worked perfectly for me, I am just sharing what I did! Do not blame me for anything.

You can thank dsixda on his Kitchen Thread

If I helped you anyway, Say thanks by hitting the button - Some say its free!!;)
    Ok yes obviously you can. But if there's no point, why do it at all? :p

Jst 4 d lolz

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda app-developers app
    very cool features!!
    Thanks

A humble request to you!

A humble request to you!

The fact that you spammed an essay is not going to do anything. If you want something for the Note, ask in that forum, not the IncS forum.

If you want to build something, Google it. Don't spam it here.

Click thanks if I helped you out!
    You can't really cook a ROM for which we have no kernel now can we? I mean even if you had successfully ported the ROM, it wouldn't boot because you don't have a kernel. :eek:

You could cook it thered just be no point :)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda app-developers app