Has anyone tried Nexus 4 before note2?

Search This thread

Classick206

May 27, 2010
I tried the note for about a week before selling it. Average at best battery life, with no expandable memory. It really doesn't have anything over the GN2. Who cares about getting 5.0 on the Note 2 when most people on these boards will buy the Note 3 which will probably come with it preloaded.

deviusdragger

Aug 5, 2006
California
So what is so appealing about Nexus 4 that you use it as your daily device instead of Galaxy Note 2?
This is what the OP wants to know

Size is the main reason, I mainly use my phone with one hand. Battery life is so much better now with faux kernel. Once you get over the over saturation of Samsung screens, the n4 screen is nice. I think they are both great devices thus why I have both of them.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using xda premium

mrbkkt1

Nov 12, 2007
Mililani
www.lostpowercity.net
Size is the main reason, I mainly use my phone with one hand. Battery life is so much better now with faux kernel. Once you get over the over saturation of Samsung screens, the n4 screen is nice. I think they are both great devices thus why I have both of them.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using xda premium

Also, even on maximum brightness, the note 2 screen insnt as bright as the n4, but im rarely out in direct sunlight, but if you are, you should consider it.

humdrum2009

Account currently disabled
Oct 3, 2010
GSM is the bees knees Lil.
I have a sprint note as well as Tmobile.
Paying etf on sprint in a few days.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using xda premium

Will of fire

Apr 14, 2011
union city ca
I'm debating rather if I should sell my note 2 to get the nexus 4.

I really like the battery life on the note 2. But I'm tryna figure out if it's worth to switch. Sorry if I have made a double post.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 2

Screen size is a big difference so is battery life, the nexus is really sweet so is 4.2.2 if you sell it try to get at least 160+. I sold my note and two days later I got another note 2

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Mi|enko

Jul 15, 2006
Just jumped from the N4 to the note myself. So far so good. Love the screen size and battery life, but miss AOKP. I know there's a build for this device, but I'm waiting to see if I need the stylus apps before making the jump off a TW ROM. Just need to use them more to see if they're worth keeping.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using xda premium

woostar88

Jul 15, 2006
Philly
ONLY reason why I would stick with note 2 would be because of its battery life. I've never had a phone that last me a full day with heavy heavy usage. My goodness.

But nexus 4 does have cool vanilla and better screen?

Honestly I don't mind the size of note 2. But the Google priority on new updates is where I'm standing.

mikeb85

Jun 21, 2010
kankakee illinois
I have to say going from note 2 to n4 after u owned the note 2 first its not even close note 2 is better and the n4 feels soooo much smaller

Sent from my GT-N7105 using xda premium

db4d1988

Nov 21, 2012
That is a completely absurd comparison. LOL...

like bro... get the n4 because if you don't you won't be able to use calls texts pictures and "apps"

Note 2 has more cool features, is what this gentleman was trying to get at... difference is with the note II you have the option to use them.

Two people I know personally have gone from the nexus 4 to the note II and say it is worlds better.

Nexus 4 has a sightly more powerful CPU and GPU... but that's about it. And I will add that there is nothing the n4 can handle (performance-wise) that the note II cannot.

Stick with the note, is my humble yet logical opinion.

Edit*** and hope you have no need for expandable storage. Because you can kiss your micro SD card goodbye once you get a nexus 4. Google is pushing this cloud crap a bit too early IMO. Don't know why.

You obviously missed the entire meaning of my post. But your right, why not go for the highest priced, most feature packed phone on the market.. even if your not going to used them and pay extra. Now thats my "humble yet logical opinion".

cobraboy85

Aug 25, 2011
Don't be an idiot. Your own description of the differences between the two devices was absurd.

"Well this one you can text and have apps and stuff."

"This one is more business oriented and has some cool features"

Come on bro. Really. Don't get butt hurt because you decided to be lazy in comparing the two.

The only thing that will matter when comparing devices will be software features, size of display, size of device overall, storage capacity, things that actually matter. None of which you described. "Texts, apps, pics" is the lamest thing I have ever heard of. Then turning around and saying one is not geared for media when it has the fastest quad core processor and GPU packed into any available mobile handset at the moment. Just saying, your response was lazy and half ass. Not my fault for correcting it.

Last edited:

db4d1988

Nov 21, 2012
Don't be an idiot. Your own description of the differences between the two devices was absurd.

"Well this one you can text and have apps and stuff."

"This one is more business oriented and has some cool features"

Come on bro. Really. Don't get butt hurt because you decided to be lazy in comparing the two.

The only thing that will matter when comparing devices will be software features, size of display, size of device overall, storage capacity, things that actually matter. None of which you described. "Texts, apps, pics" is the lamest thing I have ever heard of. Then turning around and saying one is not geared for media when it has the fastest quad core processor and GPU packed into any available mobile handset at the moment. Just saying, your response was lazy and half ass. Not my fault for correcting it.

Oh your right, I didn't know this was a book report comparing the two devices. I'll do better next time professor (wait, we must be in grade school with all this name calling). "Bro", its a forum and I posted my feelings... its just that. Again, you missed by point, but thats ok. I'll let you get away with the name calling... this time :). Anyways, this is wasted space and feel free to pm anytime.

cobraboy85

Aug 25, 2011
I didn't say you were an idiot. I said don't be one. And fair enough with your response. I see your point. But still don't understand it. If you take the time to give useful information you should at least put some effort into it ya know??

And "I'm not your bro buddayyy!!"

And nobody asked for a book report. But also probably wasn't expecting a vague reply either.

Last edited:

db4d1988

Nov 21, 2012
I didn't say you were an idiot. I said don't be one. And fair enough with your response. I see your point. But still don't understand it. If you take the time to give useful information you should at least put some effort into it ya know??

And nobody asked for a book report. But also probably wasn't expecting a vague reply either.

I hear ya and agree with your posts as well. We just think differently and don't see eye to eye which is fine. I'm all about qualifying the person based on their needs and finding the product that meets them. Here's some info below.

Note II

I said it was more aimed towards power, business, and entertainment users, vague yes, but its not that difficult.

The Screen: Perfect for all those business and entertainment users who love watching Netflix, edit documents/ pictures, surf, and multitask... . but for the average user who doesn't do to much of that is it a waste? Probably. My co-worker thinks so and guess what he's getting.. yep a Nexus. He hates the large screen. He find's it annoying and is worried about privacy.

Device size: "is that a note 2 in your pocket or are you happy to see me"... yeah its big. Maybe too big to the average user who just wants a normal phone to talk, text, and mess with apps and games. Some people just want a fast normal size phone.

Software features: Do we really need all these cool features? I don't use half, but they'll cool to have and to brag about! pop up browser, notes, air view, smart stay, etc.. Apple is going down. :D

Battery Life: This might be the best part of this phone (for me). Take it off the charge at 8 a.m. still have 50% at 8 p.m. Now thats sweet.

Storage: Yes! I have 16gb of local storage, 64 on my micro sd card, 50 on my box account, and another 75 on drop box... How much do we really need?

Nexus

"the Nexus is more your traditional smartphone, used for calls, text, pictures, and apps."

Screen: Bigger than most traditional smartphones, but easier to handle and carry around. Yep. This will appeal to most Traditional smartphone users. Think Apple, haven't they sold a few phones over the past few years?

Device Size: Pocket friendly. Do I say more?

Software features: What can I say, pure Android. A lot of ppl love it.. but most have no idea what that means. Updates faster, smoother, and none of the bloat our carriers love to put on it.

Battery: Honestly no idea, but i'm sure its good with a 2100 mAH battery in it. My friend never complains.

Storage: Trust me, some people dont care. They have a reason to buy the phone they want. Brand loyalty, stock jelly bean, or maybe because it fits their needs and doesn't include stuff they won't ever use.

This is only my opinion to help the OP's question. It's all about your needs and wants. Judge it off that and do whats right for you.

One last thing. I never said this. "then turning around and saying one is not geared for media when it has the fastest quad core processor and GPU packed into any available mobile handset at the moment.""

Sources:

Personal experience and job.

http://www.lg.com/us/cell-phones/lg-LGE960

http://www.samsung.com/us/the-next-big-thing-galaxy-note-ii/?cid=ppc-

cobraboy85

Aug 25, 2011
Now THAT..... was the run down we needed. Had somebody replied like that from the get go... Thread would have been useful right from the start.

And lol@ privacy issues.. Tell your coworker to stop watching p0rn and looking at teh nudes in le office. rofl

But nexus 4 does have cool vanilla and better screen?

Honestly I don't mind the size of note 2. But the Google priority on new updates

N4 doesn't have the better screen. GN2 does.

Yes, N4 does have the Google "vanilla" experience. Though many end up skinning it with a home launcher or rom it. Which takes away the point of having a Google "vanilla" skinned device in the first place.

Quicker Android updates is the only thing that I see N4 has going for it.

Summary of Devices

Device: Samsung Galaxy Note 2 (SGH-T889)
Android Version: 4.1.1 Jelly Bean
Build: JRO03C.T889UVALL4 (Rooted)
Root Method: mrRobinson injected root stock rom
Superuser: SuperSu Pro v1.0
Busybox: Busybox v1.20.2

Device: Motorola DROID X
Android Version: 2.3.3 Gingerbread
Build: 4.5.605.Accurate_Battery (Rooted)

Last edited:

mrbkkt1

Nov 12, 2007
Mililani
www.lostpowercity.net
I completely disagree on the screen, the n4 screen is better. Brighter, better color, and better definition. It's not a deal breaker for me on the note, because pixel count isn't everything. I can't see my note screen very well in direct sunlight. That being said, I love my n4, but the one thing that the note has over it is the s pen. I love this thing, I wasn't even considering the note until I bought the note 10.1 and fell in love with the pen. I haven't had a stylus since my htc kaiser, but I really miss it. And Its so much more than a regular stylus, not to mention that touch whiz is finally useful, and not a deterrent.
It's the note 2 worth double the price? Not really, but I could afford it. I'm also trying to not root my devices anymore, and the one thing I really don't like it's the inability to tether without rooting ( I just want to occasionally use my tablet) and not pay and arm and a leg for rarely using tether .
If you have a note 2, then the n4 is cheap enough without having to sell your note. If price is an issue, then keep the note, you aren't getting much more/less.

Z51

Nov 28, 2006
Stick with the note2. Nexus 4 sucks. The screen looks like ****.vthe battery sucks.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk 2

mrbkkt1

Nov 12, 2007
Mililani
www.lostpowercity.net
Stick with the note2. Nexus 4 sucks. The screen looks like ****.vthe battery sucks.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk 2

you guys are too used to amoled color saturation. I loved it when it first came out on my Nexus 1, but like the softer, more natural color representation on the Nexus 4. The amoled rules at using the phone at night though, very efficient at low light/ power.

PhxDroid86

Jan 14, 2013
Phoenix
Sent from my SGH-T889 using xda app-developers app

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1361478528890.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1361478528890.jpg
    160.6 KB · Views: 106
  • uploadfromtaptalk1361478564880.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1361478564880.jpg
    182.1 KB · Views: 106
  • uploadfromtaptalk1361478588887.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1361478588887.jpg
    162.4 KB · Views: 104

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Note 2 is the best....

Sent from my SGH-T889 using xda premium

I hear ya and agree with your posts as well. We just think differently and don't see eye to eye which is fine. I'm all about qualifying the person based on their needs and finding the product that meets them. Here's some info below.

Note II

I said it was more aimed towards power, business, and entertainment users, vague yes, but its not that difficult.

The Screen: Perfect for all those business and entertainment users who love watching Netflix, edit documents/ pictures, surf, and multitask... . but for the average user who doesn't do to much of that is it a waste? Probably. My co-worker thinks so and guess what he's getting.. yep a Nexus. He hates the large screen. He find's it annoying and is worried about privacy.

Device size: "is that a note 2 in your pocket or are you happy to see me"... yeah its big. Maybe too big to the average user who just wants a normal phone to talk, text, and mess with apps and games. Some people just want a fast normal size phone.

Software features: Do we really need all these cool features? I don't use half, but they'll cool to have and to brag about! pop up browser, notes, air view, smart stay, etc.. Apple is going down. :D

Battery Life: This might be the best part of this phone (for me). Take it off the charge at 8 a.m. still have 50% at 8 p.m. Now thats sweet.

Storage: Yes! I have 16gb of local storage, 64 on my micro sd card, 50 on my box account, and another 75 on drop box... How much do we really need?

Nexus

"the Nexus is more your traditional smartphone, used for calls, text, pictures, and apps."

Screen: Bigger than most traditional smartphones, but easier to handle and carry around. Yep. This will appeal to most Traditional smartphone users. Think Apple, haven't they sold a few phones over the past few years?

Device Size: Pocket friendly. Do I say more?

Software features: What can I say, pure Android. A lot of ppl love it.. but most have no idea what that means. Updates faster, smoother, and none of the bloat our carriers love to put on it.

Battery: Honestly no idea, but i'm sure its good with a 2100 mAH battery in it. My friend never complains.

Storage: Trust me, some people dont care. They have a reason to buy the phone they want. Brand loyalty, stock jelly bean, or maybe because it fits their needs and doesn't include stuff they won't ever use.

This is only my opinion to help the OP's question. It's all about your needs and wants. Judge it off that and do whats right for you.

One last thing. I never said this. "then turning around and saying one is not geared for media when it has the fastest quad core processor and GPU packed into any available mobile handset at the moment.""

Sources:

Personal experience and job.

http://www.lg.com/us/cell-phones/lg-LGE960

http://www.samsung.com/us/the-next-big-thing-galaxy-note-ii/?cid=ppc-
    Nexus 4 gets the Android updates quicker. And Nexus 4 has a vanilla Android experience. Which you will end up changing with a rom or at least a home launcher. So why worry about the vanilla stock experience when you going to change it anyway?

Outside of that the Galaxy Note 2 is better in every way.
    Galaxy Note 2 has that is either better than Nexus 4 or what Nexus 4 doesn't have:
    Oled screen
    Larger screen
    Larger battery capacity
    Easy removal battery
    LTE (when and where available)
    Ability to add a SD-Card
    MultiWindow
    S Pen
    Smart Gestures
    And so much more.....

Just doesn't make sense going from Galaxy Note 2 to Nexus 4.

Maybe trading up a Galaxy Note 2 for Galaxy S4, when it comes out, or Galaxy Note 3, when it comes out, makes sense. But Nexus 4 is a downgrade coming from Galaxy Note 2.

What is so appealing about Nexus 4 that you don't get from Galaxy Note 2?

Summary of Devices

Device: Samsung Galaxy Note 2 (SGH-T889)
    Android Version: 4.1.1 Jelly Bean
    Build: JRO03C.T889UVALL4 (Rooted)
    Root Method: mrRobinson injected root stock rom
    Superuser: SuperSu Pro v1.0
    Busybox: Busybox v1.20.2

Device: Motorola DROID X
    Android Version: 2.3.3 Gingerbread
    Build: 4.5.605.Accurate_Battery (Rooted)