Level 100 HTC Rose - Windows 7, WM 6.5, Bootloader & ROMs

Search This thread

baliles

Jan 29, 2007
Atlanta
I am beginning the process of documenting all things HTC Rose, rather than pointing to how other utilities & processes work for other phones and SHOULD work for this one. Everything I post here will be Rose-Specific, and I hope it helps. I am using the most extreme environment, including Windows 7 as the host PC, WM 6.1 on the phone...all other OSs should be cakewalk if my stuff all works. Coming very shortly (this weekend) will be:

- App Unlocking
- Entering Bootloader Mode
- Working with Windows 7 & WMDC (6.1 vs. what comes with Win7)
- Known ROM Images & FYIs
- Dumping a ROM for backup purposes
- Reloading a dumped ROM for restore purposes
- Tweaking your ROM for personal use only

Last edited:

baliles

Jan 29, 2007
Atlanta
How to enter Bootloader Mode (Tri-Colour)

- Turn off your HTC S740/S743 (either by removing battery or turning off)
- Hold down the VOLUME UP button (keep it held down)
- Turn on the phone using normal POWER button (no need to hold the power button...just a normal push and release)
- Phone will enter Tri-Colour/Bootloader Mode

example: my HTC S740, purchased as non-US phone, shipped with WWE Asian ROM (Hong Kong) via Expansys shows the following:
- ROSE 100
- SPL-1.54.0000
- MicroP-Rose (LED) v10
- MicroP-Rose (KEY) v5
- PCBID 0x80
- RID 0x0

Last edited:

baliles

Jan 29, 2007
Atlanta
WMDC and Windows 7 Pre-Release

By default, Windows 7 will ship with an integrated version of Windows Mobile Device Center (WMDC). The challenge most people have with getting this to work with their phone is this "not really WMDC 6.1, not a fully-finished Win7-WMDC" version. To get around this, keep in mind there are two primary scenarios when connecting a device to Windows:

1) Connect WM device to WMDC for the purpose of "syncing stuff" (aka USB Connected)
2) Connect WM device to WMDC for the purpose of low-level tasks (aka USB Unchecked)

*NOTE: the easiest, fastest and most accurate way to get all of this to work on Windows 7 is to do the "remove WMDC" steps in #1 below, and instead of working with your existing phone, simply do a Clear Storage, let the phone reset, and plug it in with a fresh WMDC. This just simply works, but I know not everyone is willing to reset the device....

To achieve #1, I suggest the following:

- Go to Add/Remove Programs and Uninstall WMDC (application AND Driver Update)
- From an administrative-cmd line, execute

reg delete HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\SQMClient\Windows\Disabled Sessions /va /f

- Go in Device Manager and remove any reference to a mobile device or RNDIS adapter. Reboot.
- On your device go to SETTINGS, then to CONNECTIONS, then the USB TO PC icon. Make sure the ENABLE ADVANCED NETWORK FUNCTIONALITY is UNCHECKED
- Manually delete the contents of the C:\Windows\WindowsMobile folder
- Delete the contents of the following Registry Keys:
HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows CE Services\Partners
HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows Portable Devices\Devices​
- Using Windows Explorer, delete all files in the folder C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\ActiveSync\Profiles
- Reboot your Win7 PC, ensuring the phone is NOT CONNECTED during reboot
- Install WMDC 6.1 from the Microsoft Download site (this ensures you are running WMDC 6.1 ON Win7 vs. Win7WMDC on Win7)
- Reboot your phone
- Open WMDC 6.1 on your PC
(Optionally....just do a Clear Storage on your phone a listed in the NOTE above to ENSURE this works simplest...if you have the option)
- Plug your phone in via USB, preferrable to a USB port NOT used prior....if possible
- Windows should reinstall your device drivers without failing and WMDC should connect ok this time

To achive #2, I suggest the following:

- Perform the steps in #1 first, to get WMDC installed properly
- Open WMDC & disable ALLOW USB CONNECTIONS
- Turn off your device
- Enter Bootloader Mode using VOLUME-UP + POWER ON
- Win7 should detect and install the additional drivers for NON-USB mode (separate from the standard sync device drivers WMDC normally requires)

Last edited:

Churchill

Mar 22, 2005
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
I remember that when the WM 6.1 wa about to be released the standard version was available way before the Professional... Anybody has any idea what non touch screen WM 6.5 is going to look like ?? and when we can exxpect it? Because the ROse is capable of running it I am sure...

- Turn off your HTC S740/S743 (either by removing battery or turning off)
- Hold down the VOLUME UP button (keep it held down)
- Turn on the phone using normal POWER button (no need to hold the power button...just a normal push and release)
- Phone will enter Tri-Colour/Bootloader Mode

example: my HTC S740, purchased as non-US phone, shipped with WWE Asian ROM (Hong Kong) via Expansys shows the following:
- ROSE 100
- SPL-1.54.0000
- MicroP-Rose (LED) v10
- MicroP-Rose (KEY) v5
- PCBID 0x80
- RID 0x0
For my S22HT (ROSE110), to enter bootloader mode it's:

1. Phone off
2. Hold down VOLUME DOWN key
3. Keep holding VOLUME DOWN and press POWER until it turns on