[How To] Retrieve MSL CDMA Workshop Method

Search This thread

rufflez2010

Mar 13, 2010
This looks like a nice workshop, but if you really don't want to talk the sprint, the fastest way is to load up aLogcat on the phone, then #*#*DATA*#*#, then try to access the settings. Go back to the logcat, pause it and search for it. It will be in green text.

techwerkz

Mar 24, 2008
Fort Myers, FL
www.techwerkz.com
This looks like a nice workshop, but if you really don't want to talk the sprint, the fastest way is to load up aLogcat on the phone, then #*#*DATA*#*#, then try to access the settings. Go back to the logcat, pause it and search for it. It will be in green text.

Doesn't work for everyone. This has been said 15 times already in this thread and posted by others.

v_lestat

Jul 11, 2010
i hate to dig up a thread but this doesn't work for me.
modem is installed, shows in device mgr, cdma workshop sees it on com 3 but when i click read it says
"Failed...connect to com port before"

if you disable usb debugging it of course wont even show the modem on your pc and will never work.
i tried charge only, memory card, internet sharing and Sync.
none of them let the program read the phone even though it is shown.

d0cx

Aug 5, 2010
Carolina
solomisael.com
i hate to dig up a thread but this doesn't work for me.
modem is installed, shows in device mgr, cdma workshop sees it on com 3 but when i click read it says
"Failed...connect to com port before"

if you disable usb debugging it of course wont even show the modem on your pc and will never work.
i tried charge only, memory card, internet sharing and Sync.
none of them let the program read the phone even though it is shown.

you don't need to enable/disable usb debugging (mine was disabled). you dial ##3424# (##DIAG#) and quickly connect the usb cable to your computer. if it asks for driver, use the one included in the OP (i'm using Windows XP and HTC Sync and it didn't asked me for any drivers btw). open CDMA Workshop, click Port and it will show you a number of COM ports and the devices attached to them (mine was COM4 - HTC Diagnostic Device). after that, click Connect and go to the Security tab, and under the SPC/User Lock section, click Read. the number shown should be your MSL code.

the entire process took me less than 3 minutes, and the code displayed successfully and it was the correct one.

v_lestat

Jul 11, 2010
you don't need to enable/disable usb debugging (mine was disabled). you dial ##3424# (##DIAG#) and quickly connect the usb cable to your computer. if it asks for driver, use the one included in the OP (i'm using Windows XP and HTC Sync and it didn't asked me for any drivers btw). open CDMA Workshop, click Port and it will show you a number of COM ports and the devices attached to them (mine was COM4 - HTC Diagnostic Device). after that, click Connect and go to the Security tab, and under the SPC/User Lock section, click Read. the number shown should be your MSL code.

the entire process took me less than 3 minutes, and the code displayed successfully and it was the correct one.

i havent messed with it since my original post maybe i will give it another try tonight... but it did see the phone, just the read option would say it could find the phone (down in the lower left corner of the program window)

Last edited:

frank828

Jun 10, 2010
i threw away the paper i wrote down my msl and now cdma workshop demo trial period ended.

is there any way to reset the trial period?

dc5guy

Jan 3, 2009
I got my MSL code from following these steps.

But now I can't ADB into my phone anymore. I tried uninstalling the diagnostic drivers and still can't ADB into my phone. Says device is not found.

What can be the problem? Is the phone still in DIAG mode? Or did something get screwed up on the PC side?

cobrahicks

Feb 24, 2009
Michigan
In order for it to work for me i had to have 'USB Debugging' turned ON

Also to change COM port

While in device manager click 'Modems' to drop down that menu.
Right click 'HTC USB Modem'
Click Properties
Click the 'Advance' tab
Click 'Advance Port Settings...'
Choose what COM port you want at the bottom if the window

robpet2

Sep 6, 2006
Virginia
www.myspace.com
I dont know what comes up on your screen but the MSL does not appear anywhere doing this either... there was a number one number off from my MSL in there that was also a 6 digit number next to:

[gsm.operator.sim.numeric]: [xxxxxx]

but other then that, no other 6 digit numbers anywhere under cdma or anything.

Anyway, props to the OP of this thread, i used this method and it worked without incident. Many thanks my man.

Same, I looked thru everything I had with a text editor & got nada for [ril.msl] or *msl* period.

you dont need cdma workshop or diag drivers just type < adb shell getprop >

been trying to get this thru ADB.. but cant find the MSL in adb after typing the getprop..

is there a way to get the MSL thru Davlik Debug ??

talktojer

In order for it to work for me i had to have 'USB Debugging' turned ON

Also to change COM port

While in device manager click 'Modems' to drop down that menu.
Right click 'HTC USB Modem'
Click Properties
Click the 'Advance' tab
Click 'Advance Port Settings...'
Choose what COM port you want at the bottom if the window

I didn't have any modems installed so I couldn't do this. i did however use regedit to locate and change the com port manually..worked after that.

TeknoJnky

Nov 17, 2008
I am very glad this worked for you. I mean I never knew it could be SO easy! I guess I should of just tried doing that before I made this nice guide for many to follow. :rolleyes:

I appreciate the guide and it did work the first time, however it only works once, per computer. Once the demo time is out your screwed.

Now think about it from another perspective. You dial your magical *2. You wait on hold for a few minutes. You finally get to talk to the magic customer service representative. You have this lovely little scheme all planned, and ask for your MSL. The rep then says, "Sorry I cannot provide that to you", you must hang up and try again. Yes this actually happens! Horrific I know.

You don't need a 'scheme', you simply say:

"Hello, I would like my MSL code for my own reference."

and they say "ok can I have your PIN code?"

you give it to them

and they say "ok, would you like your MSID too?"

and you say "sure! thank you for your help!"

Once you have the drivers installed it takes less than 30 seconds to get the code. Hell I can do it faster than most can get through the IVR prompts.

that may be true, but again if your demo has expired, you will spend alot more time than that trying to get it working again. :eek:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Update 9/14/10 -- There is an app in the market called MSL Reader that successfully found my MSL. It does require root access, my method will still work for phones that are not rooted. Thanks flexgrip for pointing this out, and mmastrac for the hard work developing the app.
    chart

Since the other method using aLogCat doesn't seem to work for everyone, this is a more consistent method.

Please be very careful with CDMA Workshop. I am not responsible for your curiosity, or stupidity!

I have included screenshots for installing the drivers on Windows 7 x64. This seems to be a little different for most users, so I hope this helps. Windows XP should be pretty similar to below. You can enter Device Manager the same way. Some of the prompts will be slightly different, but at the end most of the same dialogs will appear.

Prerequisites:
    CDMA Workshop - http://www.cdma-ware.com/workshop.html
    The Demo version will be able to retrieve the MSL.

HTC Diag Drivers - http://www.techwerkz.com/evo/HTCDiagDrivers.zip
    I have compiled this zip which includes both x86 (32 bit), and x64 (64 bit) drivers for HTC diagnostics. I have successfully tested the x64 drivers on Windows 7, and all works without issue.

The Fun Part
    Step 1 - Dial ##DIAG# (##3424#) on your phone.

Step 2 - Connect the phone to the computer via the USB cable. When prompted to install the drivers use the drivers from the ZIP provided above.

Windows will probably not be able to find the drivers:
    1.jpg

You will need to manually install the drivers from Device Manager. Quickest way to get there is to press the Windows Key + R to open the Run dialog. Type in devmgmt.msc:
    2.jpg

Once Device Manager is open you will see it cannot find the HTC Diag driver :(:
    3.jpg

Right click on HTC Diag, and go to Update Driver. You will be prompted with the following, choose Browse my Computer. Then choose Let me Pick. Click Next. Click Have Disk. Browse to the drivers you downloaded, and choose the proper INF file. Click Next. Then finally Yes, if prompted :eek::
    4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

If all went well you will see it installing the driver. Then finally let you know it was successfully installed!
    11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

Step 3 - Run CDMA Workshop you downloaded earlier.

Once CDMA Workshop is open click the word Port found on the right:
    14.jpg

You will be given the options to select the correct COM port (Please note the demo version will only go to COM6. If you have an issue with this please Google how to change the COM port to something not in use.):
    15.jpg

Once the correct COM port is selected click Connect:
    16.jpg

17.jpg

Head over to the Security tab and click Read under the SPC / User Lock section:
    18.jpg

If all has gone well you will be given your MSL code! It is the 6 digit number listed after pressing Read. Great Success! :D

Testing
    The following sections should prompt for your MSL code. Enter what you have retrieved to find out if it is in fact the correct MSL code.

##data# (##3282#)
    ##debug#(##33284#)
    ##diag#(##3424#)
    ##svn#(##786#)
    ##prl#(##775#)
    ##prev#(##7738#)
    ##akey#(##2539#)
    ##vocoder# (##8626337#)

If you followed the steps correctly, the code should work.

Hope this helps everyone with finding their MSL when Sprint will not give it to you. Again, I am not responsible for what you do with this information. This is a use at your own risk method!
    I figured out how to get this to work on the OTA updated devices. I just got a replacement, and tried the steps in the original post, and and I kept getting the same error that mikecore was getting a few posts up. Here is how to fix that.

Before you go to the step in the original post where he has you click "read" on the security tab where it says SPC, head over to the terminal tab, and enter the following (exactly as I have it below with spaces and everything) on the line that says "DM Commands"

41 74 64 77 61 6F 70

Click "send"

You should get some output below in the message box along the lines of:

"Answer Length 5 bytes >
    0x0000: 41 01 70 41 7E .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. | A.pA~............."

Then go back over to the security tab and try reading you SPC / User Lock.

After I did what I explained above, it worked perfectly for me. And all I was using was the Demo version of CDMA workshop.
    Someone else try my post above and verify that it works for others.

Sent from my PC36100 using XDA App
    Try the method in the very first post in this thread, but use the extra step I mentioned a few posts up.

Sent from my PC36100 using XDA App
    the download link to CDMA workshop now is version 3.7 I was confused at first, when you said com port right, now its on the left, but still gives the MSL code. Thanks for the great tut. worked for me.