[HOWTO] Use your NC as a secondary PC screen

Search This thread

hiattech

Oct 21, 2012
Nook Tablet 1.4.3?

Is this still available to do on the Nook tablet running version 1.4.3?
I love the concept, but I'm not having a lot of luck getting it working. Can anyone direct me to the thread that helps me figure out how to install an apk on a Nook in general?
Thanks

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    The Nook is the perfect size for a secondary display for a laptop or desktop pc.

This method creates a virtual display that TeamViewer can attach to and control.

I'm going to use TeamViewer (for simplicity's sake) but you can use VNC if you want also. I am making this guide assuming you are using Windows 7.

Software you will need:
    Mirage Virtual Display Driver
    TeamViewer for PC and Android

PC
    1. Install both Mirage and TeamViewer. If either of them ask for a restart, then restart.
    2. Right-click on your desktop and choose 'Screen Resolution'.
    3. Click the 'Detect' button.
    4. In the 'Display' drop-down list you should see your virtual display as 'Display device on: VGA'. Select that.
    5. Under 'Multiple Displays' drop-down, choose 'Extend desktop to this display' and click 'Apply'
    6. Under the 'Resolution' drop-down, choose 1024x600 and then click 'OK'.
    7. For 'Orientation' choose either 'Landscape' or 'Portrait' to suit your needs.
    8. To setup TeamViewer follow the steps in this PDF.

NOOK
    • Install TeamViewer on your NC using the standard or easy (drag-drop-open with file manager) methods.
    • Launch Teamviewer.
    • Type your pc's ID and password you setup from the PDF and click 'Connect to Partner'.
    • After a few moments you should establish a connection. If you get a help screen on connection press close.
    • On the toolbar on the bottom click on the gear icon. (You may have to click towards the top of the icon, at least on my NC that's how it is)
    • Under 'Session settings' tap the 'Monitor' pulldown and choose 'Monitor 2'. (It was #2 on my setup yours may be different)
    • Under 'Quality' I left mine on 'Automatic'.
    • The 'Back' button wasn't working on mine so just tap your Nook's back button.

That should do it. Now you can drag Twitter, Pandora, Winamp to your NC, add some widgets like cpu usage, or whatever.

Notes:
    • On my setup when I tried to add th NC as my third screen, Windows wouldn't allow it. I'm sure it has to do with my video card or something.
    • If you want a cleaner picture try 'Optimize quality' under 'Quality'. Likewise, if you want smoother transitions choose 'Optimize Speed'.
    • This isn't a hack or anything special but I thought some might be interested.
    If it shows up in device manager try clicking "Detect" when you are in the 'Screen Resolution' window.
    Cute hack, but I can't imagine anyone doing this on purpose.

I'd do this on purpose for when I'm not using my NC for other stuff.
    iDisplay now Available for Android

This is a program that is designed to work as a second display instead of being a hack job.
    Yes, it works with multiple screens.