[Q] HTC One, How to revert to stock? USB keeps disconnecting?

Search This thread

RealityClash

Oct 13, 2010
Hey guys,

I've got a New Zealand based HTC One M7 which is currently running Android Revolution HD 62.0 (S-ON). I'd like to revert it to stock ROM and Recovery so that I can install any OTA updates etc. I understand that it seems like this sorta of thing would've been answered a million times over but I can't for the life of me figure out why nothing seems to be working, I've spent the entire day trying to do this now. I'm also sure I did a backup in TWRP when I first unlocked the bootloader on my phone but I can't figure out how to revert to it as it doesn't look to show up when I go into the backup/restore options of TWRP.

http://www.htc1guru.com/dld/m7-cwm-nandroid-backup-cid-htc__039-1-29-980-2-2013-05-11-zip/

I've tried installing the above zip in TWRP 2.7 and also CWM Recovery and it fails. I've tried looking for other downloads and the only ones I've found for NZ are no longer being hosted.

The other problem I have is that my phone won't stay connected to either of my PC's (both Windows 8 with HTC Sync Manager installed) for more than a few seconds (since today). Sometimes they won't even connect at all. I get the same problem when I'm in recovery although fastboot still seems to work fine.

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

Cheers

UPDATE: The phone won't even charge when in Android Revolution HD 62.0 (also tried with CM11), either when connected to a PC or directly to the wall charger. Using HTC wall adapter and tested two different USB cables.

Last edited:

RealityClash

Oct 13, 2010
There is a guru reset file for your phone here

http://www.htc1guru.com/dld/guru_reset_m7_2-24-980-2-zip/

Post a fastboot getvar all if you can, so I can be certain it's for your make of phone.

For connection problems read here

http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=52135024&postcount=2

Try cleaning usb port ( very gently )
Sent from my HTC One using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Thank you, here you go :)

C:\Users\Michael\Desktop\ADB FastBoot>fastboot getvar all
(bootloader) version: 0.5
(bootloader) version-bootloader: 1.55.0000
(bootloader) version-baseband: 4A.21.3263.04
(bootloader) version-cpld: None
(bootloader) version-microp: None
(bootloader) version-main: 3.63.980.2
(bootloader) version-misc: PVT SHIP S-ON
(bootloader) serialno: HT3BFW9A0399
(bootloader) imei:
(bootloader) meid: 00000000000000
(bootloader) product: m7_ul
(bootloader) platform: HBOOT-8064
(bootloader) modelid: PN0714000
(bootloader) cidnum: VODAP021
(bootloader) battery-status: good
(bootloader) battery-voltage: 3970mV
(bootloader) partition-layout: Generic
(bootloader) security: on
(bootloader) build-mode: SHIP
(bootloader) boot-mode: FASTBOOT
(bootloader) commitno-bootloader: dirty-fd1bd949
(bootloader) hbootpreupdate: 11
(bootloader) gencheckpt: 0
all: Done!
finished. total time: 0.043s

Last edited:

RealityClash

Oct 13, 2010
Just tried following the second FAQ on the page from the second link with no luck :/
Currently the phone just keeps connecting and disconnecting or otherwise does nothing at all, I also noticed before that it had switched into car mode.

Just found this thread and I'm wondering whether this could maybe be a hardware fault?
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2332046

Last edited:

bored_stupid

Jul 10, 2011
Hereford
Thank you, here you go :)

C:\Users\Michael\Desktop\ADB FastBoot>fastboot getvar all
(bootloader) version: 0.5
(bootloader) version-bootloader: 1.55.0000
(bootloader) version-baseband: 4A.21.3263.04
(bootloader) version-cpld: None
(bootloader) version-microp: None
(bootloader) version-main: 3.63.980.2
(bootloader) version-misc: PVT SHIP S-ON
(bootloader) serialno: HT3BFW9A0399
(bootloader) imei: 355859057904641
(bootloader) meid: 00000000000000
(bootloader) product: m7_ul
(bootloader) platform: HBOOT-8064
(bootloader) modelid: PN0714000
(bootloader) cidnum: VODAP021
(bootloader) battery-status: good
(bootloader) battery-voltage: 3970mV
(bootloader) partition-layout: Generic
(bootloader) security: on
(bootloader) build-mode: SHIP
(bootloader) boot-mode: FASTBOOT
(bootloader) commitno-bootloader: dirty-fd1bd949
(bootloader) hbootpreupdate: 11
(bootloader) gencheckpt: 0
all: Done!
finished. total time: 0.043s

Just curious has to why your trying to restore a x.xx.980.x – Optus AU (Australia) when your cid shows a
Voda​-Hutch​_AU_x.xx.862

Did you alter your CID/MID
what or who was your phone carrier when you first received the phone.

Try uninstalling all HTC programs from your PC.. including downloaded files then

Then download latest htcsync. Once installed uninstall HTC sync only

Then install these drivers

https://www.dropbox.com/s/k6k4l9nzl2a5q74/mini-sdk-1.0.31-windows.rar

RealityClash

Oct 13, 2010
Just curious has to why your trying to restore a x.xx.980.x – Optus AU (Australia) when your cid shows a
Voda​-Hutch​_AU_x.xx.862

Did you alter your CID/MID
what or who was your phone carrier when you first received the phone.

Try uninstalling all HTC programs from your PC.. including downloaded files then

Then download latest htcsync. Once installed uninstall HTC sync only

Then install these drivers

https://www.dropbox.com/s/k6k4l9nzl2a5q74/mini-sdk-1.0.31-windows.rar

Maybe I was trying to use the wrong file? The phone was originally for Vodafone New Zealand but I was under the impression (from reading various threads) that all NZ HTC One's and Unlocked Australian One's used the same software?

Ok thanks, I'll try that

bored_stupid

Jul 10, 2011
Hereford
Maybe I was trying to use the wrong file? The phone was originally for Vodafone New Zealand but I was under the impression (from reading various threads) that all NZ HTC One's and Unlocked Australian One's used the same software?

Ok thanks, I'll try that

What sim card are you using. Not looked at the android info txt to see if both RUUs contain your CID/MID, but if they do then you can use either.
Also curious has to why not continue using ARHD 62. its bang up to date as far has stock roms go..

If your also installing KitKat, use TWRP 2.6.3.3. CWM has known issues

Sent from my Nexus 7 using XDA Premium HD app

RealityClash

Oct 13, 2010
What sim card are you using. Not looked at the android info txt to see if both RUUs contain your CID/MID, but if they do then you can use either.
Also curious has to why not continue using ARHD 62. its bang up to date as far has stock roms go..

If your also installing KitKat, use TWRP 2.6.3.3. CWM has known issues

Ok I got the guru reset file installed and I had the stock ROM running fine, I then went to install the update to 4.3 sense 5.5 when prompted and it booted into stock recovery and installed everything but then when it went to restart it showed the white screen with only the HTC logo for several seconds and then the screen just went black. I've tried rebooting several times, I've also reinstalled TWRP to try and flash the guru reset zip and start again but it looks at though the SD card has been completely wiped and I'm guessing maybe the OS too?

bored_stupid

Jul 10, 2011
Hereford
Ok I got the guru reset file installed and I had the stock ROM running fine, I then went to install the update to 4.3 sense 5.5 when prompted and it booted into stock recovery and installed everything but then when it went to restart it showed the white screen with only the HTC logo for several seconds and then the screen just went black. I've tried rebooting several times, I've also reinstalled TWRP to try and flash the guru reset zip and start again but it looks at though the SD card has been completely wiped and I'm guessing maybe the OS too?

Did you check the md5 on the downloads.

Force reboot: press and hold POWER + VOLDOWN (under a bright light, not kidding!!), after about 5 seconds or so buttons should start blinking, and after 30 seconds or so, the phone will reboot, let go of POWER, but keep holding VOLDOWN to get back to bootloader then reboot
(you may need to try 2 or 3 times to get it right)

Last edited:

RealityClash

Oct 13, 2010
Did you check the md5 on the downloads.

Force reboot: press and hold POWER + VOLDOWN (under a bright light, not kidding!!), after about 5 seconds or so buttons should start blinking, and after 30 seconds or so, the phone will reboot, let go of POWER, but keep holding VOLDOWN to get back to bootloader then reboot
(you may need to try 2 or 3 times to get it right)

Tried this several times already, even tried a factory reset from the bootloader and no luck. I've also tried sideloading a rom to the SD card in TWRP but my PC can't find the device unless its in fastboot. Even tried uninstalling/ reinstalling the HTC software then removing just HTC Sync and downloading the ADB Fastboot software you linked me

bored_stupid

Jul 10, 2011
Hereford
Tried this several times already, even tried a factory reset from the bootloader and no luck. I've also tried sideloading a rom to the SD card in TWRP but my PC can't find the device unless its in fastboot. Even tried uninstalling/ reinstalling the HTC software then removing just HTC Sync and downloading the ADB Fastboot software you linked me

Adb only works within a working os or in recovery.

If you PC is not recognizing fastboot/adb drivers, install them from here

http://koush.com/post/universal-adb-driver

and also read here

To sideload a rom check here

http://teamw.in/ADBSideload

If you have an OTG cable you can install a rom from there

RealityClash

Oct 13, 2010
Adb only works within a working os or in recovery.

If you PC is not recognizing fastboot/adb drivers, install them from here

http://koush.com/post/universal-adb-driver

and also read here

To sideload a rom check here

http://teamw.in/ADBSideload

If you have an OTG cable you can install a rom from there

I'm still having the same problem of the connection to my PC being unstable whenever I'm not in fastboot even with all the drivers sorted :/ (tried different USB cables and I'm using USB 2.0 connections directly on the motherboard) Is there any way to copy files from PC to my phone via fastboot or can i only do this with adb?

bored_stupid

Jul 10, 2011
Hereford
I'm still having the same problem of the connection to my PC being unstable whenever I'm not in fastboot even with all the drivers sorted :/ (tried different USB cables and I'm using USB 2.0 connections directly on the motherboard) Is there any way to copy files from PC to my phone via fastboot or can i only do this with adb?

You need to get the pc talking to phone. Can you still boot into bootloader and recovery.

RealityClash

Oct 13, 2010
You need to get the pc talking to phone. Can you still boot into bootloader and recovery.

Hmm yea, I have no idea why they won't though. Feels like I've tried everything at this point :/

bootloader loads fine and I have reinstalled TWRP from my PC and fastboot commands work perfectly fine but within seconds of entering TWRP my device disconnects from my PC and so I can't use adb commands to push a ROM to my SD card

nkk71

Inactive Recognized Developer / Contributor
May 26, 2010
Beirut
Just tried following the second FAQ on the page from the second link with no luck :/
Currently the phone just keeps connecting and disconnecting or otherwise does nothing at all, I also noticed before that it had switched into car mode.

Just found this thread and I'm wondering whether this could maybe be a hardware fault?
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2332046

Hmm yea, I have no idea why they won't though. Feels like I've tried everything at this point :/

bootloader loads fine and I have reinstalled TWRP from my PC and fastboot commands work perfectly fine but within seconds of entering TWRP my device disconnects from my PC and so I can't use adb commands to push a ROM to my SD card

Well,
1- the "car mode" thingy doesn't sound nice, so try cleaning your phone's USB port (gently)

2- what OS are you on? could be a problem with antivirus / firewall

3- have you rebooted your PC? you could have an adb server still running (in the background) and not realizing it

4- have you removed HTC Sync (not HTC Drivers), and any other software that could be "trying to talk" to your phone

5- do you have an OTG cable?

6- which recoveries have you tried (name and version, don't use TWRP 2.7.0.0 it has some issues)

7- when you say it disconnects, you mean from the PC, but TWRP stays on the phone right? it doesn't bootloop... correct?

---------- Post added at 06:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:12 PM ----------

Is your bootloader still unlocked

Sorry to bug in, mate, just thought I'd post some points :eek:

RealityClash

Oct 13, 2010
I'm on Windows 8.1 64bit on both of my PCs I've been able to work with, the only antivirus i have on them is Windows Defender which as been disabled through this whole process.
I tried rebooting my PC but no luck unfortunately.
Reinstalled the HTC sync software then just removed the HTC Sync leaving just the program called 'HTC Driver Installer" which I'm assuming is the drivers. I don't have any other software trying to connect my computer as far as I can think of.
Unfortunately don't have an OTG cable.
I tried using the latest version of CWM (not sure what the version number was), TWRP 2.7.0.0 and TWRP 2.6.3.3.
I mean that my PC will detect my phone when it first enters recovery and shows up in device manager and I'm able to call the 'adb devices' command when its in recovery and then a few seconds after, the phone disappears from device manager and it no longer appears when the 'adb devices' command is written, it doesn't affect what the phone is doing though.

And yes bootloader is still unlocked, I also get a little reading at the top of the bootloader screen saying "tampered", what would have been the cause of that?

nkk71

Inactive Recognized Developer / Contributor
May 26, 2010
Beirut
I'm on Windows 8.1 64bit on both of my PCs I've been able to work with, the only antivirus i have on them is Windows Defender which as been disabled through this whole process.
I tried rebooting my PC but no luck unfortunately.
Reinstalled the HTC sync software then just removed the HTC Sync leaving just the program called 'HTC Driver Installer" which I'm assuming is the drivers. I don't have any other software trying to connect my computer as far as I can think of.
Unfortunately don't have an OTG cable.
I tried using the latest version of CWM (not sure what the version number was), TWRP 2.7.0.0 and TWRP 2.6.3.3.
I mean that my PC will detect my phone when it first enters recovery and shows up in device manager and I'm able to call the 'adb devices' command when its in recovery and then a few seconds after, the phone disappears from device manager and it no longer appears when the 'adb devices' command is written, it doesn't affect what the phone is doing though.

And yes bootloader is still unlocked, I also get a little reading at the top of the bootloader screen saying "tampered", what would have been the cause of that?

Well, I'm leaning towards you trying Win7 or Ubuntu Live USB.

But out of curiosity, open Windows Device Manager (before connecting the phone while in custom recovery), when it first connects what does it show up as, and then when it "disappears" what happens in Windows Device Manager? (since Device Manager refreshes automatically/dynamically, you should be able to see some change)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    You are in good hands now.. Thank you@nkk71