*Noob Alert* How do I root my Galaxy S2 on 4.0.4 and then install CM9?

Search This thread

jackfifield

Aug 10, 2012
Twickenham
SOLUTION FOUND, ALL PROBLEMS SOLVED :)

Hi, I recently installed Android 4.0.4 to my Galaxy S2. The reason I am asking these questions is because all/most of the documentation written for them seems to be written for a Galaxy S2 with 4.0.3 or below.
Basically, the latest update was bad, made the system look ugly, makes phone signal drop, battery drain, some texts drop, and Silent mode seems to be no different from vibrate mode in that it still vibrates. What I want to do is root my Galaxy S2, backup all of the apps, SMS, MMS, Call logs and their data (So that when I restore the phone, I don't have to start games like Asphalt 6 and Cut The Rope over again) and then install CM9 + Google Apps and restore the apps and their data. Is there an easy way of doing this that's suitable for a first time rooter and flasher?

Thanks so much for any help, Jack :)

Running an unbranded, sim free Galaxy S2 bought from Amazon.
On giffgaff network.
In the UK, so I'm not using LTE or anything like that :)

Last edited:

Stileth

Apr 3, 2012
Root using method 1 from guide in my signature. Then backup all with Titanium Backup.

Odoslané z GT-I9100 cez Tapatalk 2

Reactions: jackfifield

jackfifield

Aug 10, 2012
Twickenham
Root using method 1 from guide in my signature. Then backup all with Titanium Backup.

Ok, I read through it and it seems like it's not too complicated, but when it says "Internal SD Card" does that mean my MicroSD card or something different?

Thanks, Jack :)

Edit: Also, where do I download the files that it mentions?

Last edited:

Stileth

Apr 3, 2012
No, internal SD card is your internal storage. Your microSD is external as you can take it out ;)

tigerphil

Jun 25, 2011
Southampton
As for backing up apps and games etc....titanium backup. I was advised to use the pro version, will never turn my back on it. As for the rom and root it depends what kernel wnd rom you want to use. My signature has links to a reliable kernel and rom thats based on CM, AOKP and a few others rolled into one, magic config link is also usefull to maximize battery life

Sent from my GT-I9100 using xda premium

jackfifield

Aug 10, 2012
Twickenham
Ok, also, is anything likely to go wrong during the rooting process? I'm trying to backup via Kies before doing anything, and Kies keeps failing and telling me to reconnect. I've tried restarting the PC and phone, and it keeps doing it, some I'm wondering whether I should bother backing up with Kies at all.

tigerphil

Jun 25, 2011
Southampton
Ok, also, is anything likely to go wrong during the rooting process? I'm trying to backup via Kies before doing anything, and Kies keeps failing and telling me to reconnect. I've tried restarting the PC and phone, and it keeps doing it, some I'm wondering whether I should bother backing up with Kies at all.

Only thing that will happen when rooting (providing you use a kernel that is trusted, some have emmc cap erase bug, messes things up, luckily i aint had that before) your get a yellow triangle when booting your phone, this can be removed using triangle away app which resets your binary to say it hasnt been tampered with. Aslong as you follow instructions fully, you should be fine :) as for kies, odin hates it, disable kies or uninstall it from your pc. Backups are always better with titanium, your probably find that your apps are backed up to google but may need to restart games etc where as titanium saves everything so you start from where you left things

jackfifield

Aug 10, 2012
Twickenham
Only thing that will happen when rooting (providing you use a kernel that is trusted, some have emmc cap erase bug, messes things up, luckily i aint had that before) your get a yellow triangle when booting your phone, this can be removed using triangle away app which resets your binary to say it hasnt been tampered with. Aslong as you follow instructions fully, you should be fine :) as for kies, odin hates it, disable kies or uninstall it from your pc. Backups are always better with titanium, your probably find that your apps are backed up to google but may need to restart games etc where as titanium saves everything so you start from where you left things

Ok, so I decided that I'm going to use Method 1 in Stileth's signature ( http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1746794 ) would this apply for that? How dangerous is that method. Also, I can't backup with Titanium before rooting, which was my main concern, as I wanted a backup in case anything went wrong whilst rooting.

tigerphil

Jun 25, 2011
Southampton
Ok, so I decided that I'm going to use Method 1 in Stileth's signature ( http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1746794 ) would this apply for that? How dangerous is that method. Also, I can't backup with Titanium before rooting, which was my main concern, as I wanted a backup in case anything went wrong whilst rooting.

Personally i used this link the 1st time i rooted http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1103399&highlight=litening+rom i cant see any problems with the link you sent though so shud be fine, seeing as you cant do a backup at the moment, i think your going to end up needing to restart all your games etc after rooting and installing a custom rom (if your doing that aswell) i would strongly advise to make a nandroid backup before you do anything though, most links will advise you to do that aswell. atleast if anything does go wrong you can reflash your phone back to its original state.

jackfifield

Aug 10, 2012
Twickenham
Personally i used this link the 1st time i rooted http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1103399&highlight=litening+rom i cant see any problems with the link you sent though so shud be fine, seeing as you cant do a backup at the moment, i think your going to end up needing to restart all your games etc after rooting and installing a custom rom (if your doing that aswell) i would strongly advise to make a nandroid backup before you do anything though, most links will advise you to do that aswell. atleast if anything does go wrong you can reflash your phone back to its original state.

But surely I can backup if I root first, then install Titanium, backup, then install CM9?

Or am I confusing myself?

tigerphil

Jun 25, 2011
Southampton
But surely I can backup if I root first, then install Titanium, backup, then install CM9?

the nandroid backup is just a safety thing so if anything does go wrong during root, you can flash straight back. rooting wont disturb any of your settings or games etc so once rooted your be fine to use titanium for a full back up before using a custom rom

tigerphil

Jun 25, 2011
Southampton
Ok, thanks :)

Also, I just realised the files I needed were at the bottom of the guide.

As I said, noob.

haha we all started as noobs at 1 point, flashing gets easier all the time, aslong as you read posts fully and follow instuctions fully, you shouldn't run into any major problems, if you do there is always someone on here that will be able to help and 90% of the time the answer is already somewhere on the forum

jackfifield

Aug 10, 2012
Twickenham
haha we all started as noobs at 1 point, flashing gets easier all the time, aslong as you read posts fully and follow instuctions fully, you shouldn't run into any major problems, if you do there is always someone on here that will be able to help and 90% of the time the answer is already somewhere on the forum

Ok, quick question, what will Titanium do with the apps on my SD card. Do they need to be backed up, or are they safe since they're on the SD card? Or does Titanium back them up anyway?

tigerphil

Jun 25, 2011
Southampton
Ok, quick question, what will Titanium do with the apps on my SD card. Do they need to be backed up, or are they safe since they're on the SD card? Or does Titanium back them up anyway?

once you start using titanium it will back up everything, everywhere. you can change filters to only back up what you want, it will do automated backups if you set it all up (the pro version is definitely advised as you can also freeze or remove system apps to improve battery etc but do not rush into that as if you remove or freeze something then it could have effects on other parts of the phone but there are a few useful guides on that side of things) when cahnging roms though, do not back up anything written in red on titanium (those are system things, if you restore red items on new roms, it will interfere with the new system settings and cause force closes etc, again there are guides about for titanium aswell but it is easy to use :)

jackfifield

Aug 10, 2012
Twickenham
once you start using titanium it will back up everything, everywhere. you can change filters to only back up what you want, it will do automated backups if you set it all up (the pro version is definitely advised as you can also freeze or remove system apps to improve battery etc but do not rush into that as if you remove or freeze something then it could have effects on other parts of the phone but there are a few useful guides on that side of things) when cahnging roms though, do not back up anything written in red on titanium (those are system things, if you restore red items on new roms, it will interfere with the new system settings and cause force closes etc, again there are guides about for titanium aswell but it is easy to use :)

Ok, whilst I will probably buy Titanium backup at a later date, is the paid version needed for what I'm doing right now. I say that because I literally do not have enough money in my bank account for it (I'm 14 :p)

tigerphil

Jun 25, 2011
Southampton
Ok, whilst I will probably buy Titanium backup at a later date, is the paid version needed for what I'm doing right now. I say that because I literally do not have enough money in my bank account for it (I'm 14 :p)

as far as i remember the free version will let you back things up and restore them, the pro version lets you do the freezes etc. it took me a while before i went to the pro version

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

No, internal SD card is your internal storage. Your microSD is external as you can take it out ;)

As for backing up apps and games etc....titanium backup. I was advised to use the pro version, will never turn my back on it. As for the rom and root it depends what kernel wnd rom you want to use. My signature has links to a reliable kernel and rom thats based on CM, AOKP and a few others rolled into one, magic config link is also usefull to maximize battery life

Ok, I read through it and it seems like it's not too complicated, but when it says "Internal SD Card" does that mean my MicroSD card or something different?

Edit: Also, where do I download the files that it mentions?

it's your internal storage (Phone), not the microSD card...

the nandroid backup is just a safety thing so if anything does go wrong during root, you can flash straight back. rooting wont disturb any of your settings or games etc so once rooted your be fine to use titanium for a full back up before using a custom rom