[Flashcast ROM]Chromecast 13300 OTA Rooted/ADB Enabled

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

ddggttff3

Inactive Recognized Developer
Dec 13, 2009
Minnesota
Hi, i recently got a Chromecast and followed the instructions and got Flashcast installed with no problems also i updated to the last version [V1.1] Chromecast 13300 OTA Rooted/ADB Enabled.....Now i've been searching and found this post which gives the BETA4 APK of AirCast for local streaming....now i have read some articles and im aware that recent Chromecast update has broken support for AirCast....i was wondering if it would work again if i could Rollback from 13300 to 12072...using this flash [V1.0 - Sep 21st] ? :confused:

The rooted firmware, or any previous firmware will not allow AirCast to work as that was blocked server side. I have been trying to get aircast working again, but to no prevail as of now.

omg yes my chromecast is pwned! really good stuff. now wheres that AirCast!

side question - do i need to boot from the usb drive each time at startup?

Nope.

Last edited:

Sam1geois

Mar 4, 2011
Baton Rouge, LA
Thanks guys. I just flashed. Nice boot animation.

Noob question here: I heard a while back that Koush made a version of cyanogenMod that would cast anything on your device. I know the Aircast thing is broken server side (whatever that means), but would that rom still work?

Thanks again for the hard work.

Edit: you need a name for this rom

Last edited:

ddggttff3

Dec 13, 2009
Minnesota
Thanks guys. I just flashed. Nice boot animation.

Noob question here: I heard a while back that Koush made a version of cyanogenMod that would cast anything on your device. I know the Aircast thing is broken server side (whatever that means), but would that rom still work?

Thanks again for the hard work.

Edit: you need a name for this rom

Great question, and in all honesty I have no idea. It all depends how his plugin was designed. We will have to wait for it's release to see. As for a name, it's not really a custom ROM, so I didn't plan on naming it anything. If I was to name it though, id probably go with PwnedCast ;)

DC_MTP

Sep 7, 2011
Nation's Capital
So far I have the .bin file copied to my flash drive using win32DiskImager. can I proceed to copy the flashable zip with the 13300 system and kernel, [V1.1] to the drive as well or do I first need to go through the setup below

Connect the male end of your Micro-USB OTG cable to your Chromecast.
Plug your USB drive into the USB-A female connector of the OTG cable.
Simultaneously hold the button on your Chromecast and connect the Micro-USB power connector to the female Micro-USB port of the OTG cable.

also are the steps I just mention above preformed while the Chromecast is connected to my tv?

Thanks, hope I don't get flamed.

Last edited:

ddggttff3

Dec 13, 2009
Minnesota
So far I have the .bin file copied to my flash drive using win32DiskImager. can I proceed to copy the flashable zip with the 13300 system and kernel, [V1.1] to the drive as well or do I first need to go through the setup below

Connect the male end of your Micro-USB OTG cable to your Chromecast.
Plug your USB drive into the USB-A female connector of the OTG cable.
Simultaneously hold the button on your Chromecast and connect the Micro-USB power connector to the female Micro-USB port of the OTG cable.

also are the steps I just mention above preformed while the Chromecast is connected to my tv?

Thanks, hope I don't get flamed.

After flashing the flashcast.bin you will need to do those steps, otherwise the jumpdrive will not be formatted properly to allow you to put the eureka_image.zip file on it.

Also, it does not need to be plugged in to your TV to do the flashing, but it helps you know if the chromecast booted flashcast properly or not.

Reactions: DC_MTP

ReasonablyRooted

Mar 22, 2011
After reading these threads repeatedly I have successfully pwned my Chromecast ordered on Sept. 23 from Amazon. I am ready for the future!

DC_MTP

Sep 7, 2011
Nation's Capital
Stuck on this screen...does it mean that I did the steps incorrectly or my chromecast has been patched? I posted in the original flashcast thread but looks like everyone is out partying.

EDIT: tchebb helped me out.

Last edited:

DC_MTP

Sep 7, 2011
Nation's Capital
I'm on V1.1 and would like to check out the custom boot animation...should I remove the original root image from my flash drive and copy over the custom boot animation zip (eureka_image.zip (3.0 MB) - I'm asking because I notice both are named the same.

ddggttff3

Dec 13, 2009
Minnesota
I'm on V1.1 and would like to check out the custom boot animation...should I remove the original root image from my flash drive and copy over the custom boot animation zip (eureka_image.zip (3.0 MB) - I'm asking because I notice both are named the same.

if you are on v1.1, you should already have the custom boot image. If you are on version 1.0, then flash the boot animation zip. you can only have one flashable file on the drive at a time, named eureka_image.zip, so overwrite the v1.0 file.

Bajanman

Retired Forum Moderator
Jun 17, 2009
Los Angeles Ca.
Just like to add my thanx for wonderful hack... also loving that boot animation.:thumbup:
And for those wondering about the boot animation, I've added a pic of what it should look like when you're cast boots up

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 4

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1381004133836.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1381004133836.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 562
Reactions: DC_MTP

pahealey

Mar 3, 2012
Kiama
how to copy eureka_image to flash drive

How do you get eureka_image.zip onto the flash drive as it isn't readable by windows after Flashcast is written to it.

BurnOmatic

Sep 26, 2009
California
pahealey for me, once i flashed my chromecast with "flashcast" , i just plugged the drive into my pc and it recognized it and i put the eureka_image.zip on the drive's root and then connect it again and it will take it.

Reactions: pahealey

ddggttff3

Dec 13, 2009
Minnesota
How do you get eureka_image.zip onto the flash drive as it isn't readable by windows after Flashcast is written to it.

After you write the flashcast image to a jump drive, you need to boot the jumpdrive on the chromecast so it can extend the fat32 partition to the size of the jumpdrive. After you boot it, it will reboot when its done, and you can then put files on the jump drive.

Reactions: pahealey

smartphoneguy

May 12, 2008
pahealey for me, once i flashed my chromecast with "flashcast" , i just plugged the drive into my pc and it recognized it and i put the eureka_image.zip on the drive's root and then connect it again and it will take it.

Just to be clear, and because there seems to be a lot of confusion on this, you are not actually flashing (writing) Flashcast to your Chromecast. Flashcast is a software tool that resides on the USB flash drive to which you write it. The first time you plug that drive into your Chromecast Flashcast will run and properly setup its FAT32 working space on your USB flash drive. Nothing is flashed to your Chromecast at this point, and your Chromecast is still running whatever it was so is not rooted or update safe! When you then remove the USB flash drive and plug it into your computer to copy eureka_image.zip (e.g. the rooted, non-updating firmware) to it, you are copying it to the working space that Flashcast set up on first run. It is only when you then plug Flashcast into your Chromecast again that Flashcast flashes (writes) the eureka_image.zip to your Chromecast.

Bajanman

Retired Forum Moderator
Jun 17, 2009
Los Angeles Ca.
Just to be clear, and because there seems to be a lot of confusion on this, you are not actually flashing (writing) Flashcast to your Chromecast. Flashcast is a software tool that resides on the USB flash drive to which you write it. The first time you plug that drive into your Chromecast Flashcast will run and properly setup its FAT32 working space on your USB flash drive. Nothing is flashed to your Chromecast at this point, and your Chromecast is still running whatever it was so is not rooted or update safe! When you then remove the USB flash drive and plug it into your computer to copy eureka_image.zip (e.g. the rooted, non-updating firmware) to it, you are copying it to the working space that Flashcast set up on first run. It is only when you then plug Flashcast into your Chromecast again that Flashcast flashes (writes) the eureka_image.zip to your Chromecast.

This HERE^^^^^^^^100% correct:thumbup:

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 4

Reactions: Emrosa81
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Here we have a Flashcast flashable zip with the 13300 system and kernel, which has telnet&ADB enabled, and OTA updates disabled.

Downloads:
    [PwnedCast, Replacement for this ROM]: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2515799

Old Downloads:
    [V1.1 - Sep 26th]: https://mega.co.nz/#!BBllzagT!K5-OenCZNz-0f7n6XJ8ubS9roOwtxEWt3Eq54GJMqE0.
    [V1.0 - Sep 21st]: https://mega.co.nz/#!hZ1ClT6T!ZNBzuzlkyZUtMMivozTGnngXPzJb7ZHlNit-c7xlCV4

Install Instructions:
    1. Setup and Install Flashcast on a Jump Drive: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2452838
    2. Download, and put eureka_image.zip on your Flashcast jump drive. do NOT rename the file!
    3. Plug the Flashcast jump drive into the chromecast, hold the button, and plug in power to boot the device.
    4. Flashing will take 5~ minutes, be patient! As long as the chromecast LED is white, it is working.
    5. Once done, the device will reboot
    6. Enjoy a update free, rooted system!

Thanks To:
    GTVHacker
    tchebb
    tvall
    ften
    Anyone Else I Missed!

Changelog:
    1.1 - Added Custom Boot Animation
    1.0 - Initial Release

Extras:
    Custom Boot Animation: https://mega.co.nz/#!lY8GmQiZ!ORKufk5pGXyj4uhx0xGtD3wi2BtiZZEMmOPDiYlxNTE
    (This is NOT a full ROM, so this must be flashed over the firmware. If you are on version 1.1, this will not change anything. Use this to upgrade from 1.0 to 1.1 without doing a factory reset)

Expect some cool new features to show up in the next release, which will be when the new OTA hits. I'm talking SSH, DHCP DNS, and some other secret goodies. :D
    Great work! Now I can stop screwing with a device I don't own.
    Flashcast1.1.1 was installed successfully(Step 1). Then I formatted the usb drive and copied eureka_image.zip to it. I just realized I was wrong. Can I do the step 1 again? Will re-install Flashcast1.1.1 brick the chromecast?
    Or is there any other way to build Flashcast jump drive?
    1. Write the FlashCast .bin file to USB stick via dd (Mac/Linux) or win32diskimager (Win)
    2. Unplug power from Chromecast
    3. Plug powered USB OTG cable into Chromecast without power connected (don't connect power to OTG cable yet!)
    4. Plug FlashCast USB stick into USB OTG socket
    5. Connect power to OTG cable while holding down the button on Chromecast until you see the FlashCast screen (in some cases it may be necessary to hold it down the entire time until reboot).
    6. Wait until Chromecast reboots
    7. Remove the USB stick
    8. Plug USB stick back into your computer
    9. Copy your desired firmware or mod to the USB stick (it should be labelled FLASHCAST) as eureka_image.zip (rename as necessary, and for Win make sure file extensions are not hidden)
    10. Unplug power from Chromecast
    11. Plug USB OTG cable into Chromecast
    12. Plug FlashCast USB stick into USB OTG socket
    13. Apply power while holding down the button on Chromecast until you see the FlashCast screen (in some cases it may be necessary to hold it down the entire time until reboot).
    14. Wait until Chromecast reboots

Video for above is here.

Steps 1-6 only need to be done once until a new FlashCast update is released.

Steps 7-14 must be performed to flash a rooted firmware with stock OTA updates disabled such as PwnedCast to Chromecast, or you will still be auto-updated and lose root.
    After you have a rooted firmware that doesn't get stock OTA updates you are safe from being un-rooted by any stock OTA updates, now you are safe to add any additional mods or new firmware (PwnedCast auto-updates itself so you shouldn't need to worry about updating PwnedCast unless you're the impatient type and want an update as soon as it's released).

Steps 7-14 need to be done for each firmware or mod you want to flash to your rooted Chromecast.
    I think it happened because I had renamed your image to: eureka_image.13300.zip before flash. Would that affect it?

Yes, it needs to keep the name eureka_image.zip as that is the file name Flashcast looks for.
    Currently uploading Version 1.1. Only difference, is a custom boot animation so it is easier to verify the firmware was flashed successfully. This is an optional update. I also have a flashable file that will just update the boot animation, so if you are on version 1.0, I recommend installing that so you don't have to set your chromecast up again.

Here is what the new boot animation will look like:
    wuhHLhE.jpg