[PROGRAM] Heimdall - Cross-Platform Open-Source Flashing Software (1.0.0 Available)

Search This thread

HYE_TECH

Sep 22, 2010
Philadelphia
Do you know how to use adb? Try typing "adb reboot recovery" without the quotes and you should be in recovery.

If not, then I'll try and explain it.

I haven't use ADB since the G1, I'm 29 with an old mind lol...If I don't use it, I forget...

Can you explain it for me? i really appreciate it man and that was a quick reply...

I'm on my second Vibrant and I don't want to be without this one....

oquinones

Jul 31, 2010
Orlando
I haven't use ADB since the G1, I'm 29 with an old mind lol...If I don't use it, I forget...

Can you explain it for me? i really appreciate it man and that was a quick reply...

I'm on my second Vibrant and I don't want to be without this one....

Ok. Since you are hardware locked your still gonna need to use adb to get into download mode. I assume you have the sdk installed and in your home folder. Open up terminal and navigate to tools folder of your sdk folder. Once there type adb reboot download. You should be in download. You could also do the same thing but adb reboot recovery to get into recovery.

If you open up the readme in the Heimdall folder you can see what commands to use to flash. Download the Odin image you want to flash and it should have an extension of .md5 you want to rename the extension to .tar to unzip the contents. Then you will have the stuff you need to flash.

I would explain more but I can't get to a computer to get you links and stuff.

Maybe if you haven't got this solved by tomorrow morning I will try and help you more when I can get to my computer.

Sent from my Froyo loving Vibrant!

HYE_TECH

Sep 22, 2010
Philadelphia
Ok. Since you are hardware locked your still gonna need to use adb to get into download mode. I assume you have the sdk installed and in your home folder. Open up terminal and navigate to tools folder of your sdk folder. Once there type adb reboot download. You should be in download. You could also do the same thing but adb reboot recovery to get into recovery.

If you open up the readme in the Heimdall folder you can see what commands to use to flash. Download the Odin image you want to flash and it should have an extension of .md5 you want to rename the extension to .tar to unzip the contents. Then you will have the stuff you need to flash.

I would explain more but I can't get to a computer to get you links and stuff.

Maybe if you haven't got this solved by tomorrow morning I will try and help you more when I can get to my computer.

Thanks man. I'll do what I can from my end and I let you know if I need anything. I can figure some of the things out myself but some help would be awesome. I really appreciate this. I just stumbled upon the read me file. I'm going try it out now.........

having a problem starting off, I don't understand this part,

"I assume you have the sdk installed and in your home folder. Open up terminal and navigate to tools folder of your sdk folder. Once there type adb reboot download. You should be in download. You could also do the same thing but adb reboot recovery to get into recovery."

???

Last edited:

oquinones

Jul 31, 2010
Orlando
Thanks man. I'll do what I can from my end and I let you know if I need anything. I can figure some of the things out myself but some help would be awesome. I really appreciate this. I just stumbled upon the read me file. I'm going try it out now.........

All right man. Let me know how it goes. Good luck. Maybe when I get home tonight around 10 est, if your still not up and running I'll see if I can post a more in depth tutorial. If the wife let's me...

HYE_TECH

Sep 22, 2010
Philadelphia
All right man. Let me know how it goes. Good luck. Maybe when I get home tonight around 10 est, if your still not up and running I'll see if I can post a more in depth tutorial. If the wife let's me...

Yeah I'm going to need it because i don't even know where to start. I know where to get the ODIN files from (Vibrant Bible) but don't have a clue on where to start,

"I assume you have the sdk installed and in your home folder. Open up terminal and navigate to tools folder of your sdk folder. Once there type adb reboot download. You should be in download. You could also do the same thing but adb reboot recovery to get into recovery."

????

Thanks, I know what you mean about the wife. She keeps saying, you always messing with your phone and now its messed up lol

oquinones

Jul 31, 2010
Orlando
Yeah I'm going to need it because i don't even know where to start. I know where to get the ODIN files from (Vibrant Bible) but don't have a clue on where to start,

????

Thanks, I know what you mean about the wife. She keeps saying, you always messing with your phone and now its messed up lol

Ok when I way sdk I'm talking about the Android SDK that has adb included with it. Terminal is a program like command prompt and its at Applications/Utilities. Do you know how to use command line?

HYE_TECH

Sep 22, 2010
Philadelphia
Ok when I way sdk I'm talking about the Android SDK that has adb included with it. Terminal is a program like command prompt and its at Applications/Utilities. Do you know how to use command line?

i know what terminal is and I know how to use it somewhat...not a pro but a quick learner.

Android sdk adb? Not a clue about this...

I'm downloading the Froyo odin right now...

HYE_TECH

Sep 22, 2010
Philadelphia
Ok, got the tools and adb recovery working.

Vibrant is now with the android and the shovel downloading screen...i'm in.....

installed Heimdall, waiting to flash the froyo...

where do I start?

Last edited:

jroid

Jan 8, 2009
Im in the tools folder and i typed in adb reboot recovery in terminal but it says command not found.

How do I know if the phone is hooked up to terminal?

if you're on mac you need to cd to your tools directory

Code:
cd  (open sdk and drag the tools folder into the terminal and drop) 
the path the the tools directory will apear then press enter.
./adb devices [enter]
T959121673 (example) 
./adb reboot recovery [enter]

if you do not see any devices when u press enter after ./adb devices, your phone is not communicating with the adb daemon. Make sure you have your usb plugged in to the phone and have usb debugging enabled under the application settings

EDIT ^^^ looks like u got it. you're in download mode btw. same code applies, ./adb reboot download will take you there.

Last edited:

HYE_TECH

Sep 22, 2010
Philadelphia
if you're on mac you need to cd to your tools directory

Code:
cd  (open sdk and drag the tools folder into the terminal and drop) 
the path the the tools directory will apear then press enter.
./adb devices [enter]
T959121673 (example) 
./adb reboot recovery [enter]

if you do not see any devices when u press enter after ./adb devices, your phone is not communicating with the adb daemon. Make sure you have your usb plugged in to the phone and have usb debugging enabled under the application settings

EDIT ^^^ looks like u got it. you're in download mode btw. same code applies, ./adb reboot download will take you there.

I'm almost there, I just need help with the heimdall help part, how do I go about installing the Froyo now...I'm in terminal in the froyo directory....

HYE_TECH

Sep 22, 2010
Philadelphia
6. Open a terminal and navigate to the directory where you extracted the files.

7. Type the following to list all the functionality Heimdall supports:

heimdall help

8. Use the instructions to manually enter a command with all the files you want to flash. Here is an example that does a full flash:

Example. heimdall flash --pit s1_odin_20100512.pit --factoryfs factoryfs.rfs --cache cache.rfs --dbdata dbdata.rfs --boot boot.bin --secondary Sbl.bin --param param.lfs --kernel zImage --modem modem.bin

9. Done
Having a problem with this part...

how do i open up that heimdall help

I dragged "'Eugene_2E_JK2_Froyo" into terminal.....

oquinones

Jul 31, 2010
Orlando
I'm almost there, I just need help with the heimdall help part, how do I go about installing the Froyo now...I'm in terminal in the froyo directory....

Ok sorry. My wife is using the computer. You have to extract the odin image. Rename the file to .tar instead of .md5. Extract the .tar and that will give you the files you need to flash.

HYE_TECH

Sep 22, 2010
Philadelphia
Ok sorry. My wife is using the computer. You have to extract the odin image. Rename the file to .tar instead of .md5. Extract the .tar and that will give you the files you need to flash.

It's alright. My wife always uses the computer when I need it too lol

I've done that part already...everything is extracted....

I am currently in

Hye-Techs-MacBook-Pro:Eugene_2E_JK2_Froyo HyeTech$

Where do I go from here?

oquinones

Jul 31, 2010
Orlando
It's alright. My wife always uses the computer when I need it too lol

I've done that part already...everything is extracted....

I am currently in

Hye-Techs-MacBook-Pro:Eugene_2E_JK2_Froyo HyeTech$

Where do I go from here?

Now you do the part where it says in the readme. Sorry I would post it but no computer.... the last part in the readme it gives some sample command lines. Put those in but relative file locations for you. Sorry if I'm not making sense.

HYE_TECH

Sep 22, 2010
Philadelphia
Now you do the part where it says in the readme. Sorry I would post it but no computer.... the last part in the readme it gives some sample command lines. Put those in but relative file locations for you. Sorry if I'm not making sense.

You don't have to be sorry.

"This is from the readme

Example. heimdall flash --pit s1_odin_20100512.pit --factoryfs factoryfs.rfs --cache cache.rfs --dbdata dbdata.rfs --boot boot.bin --secondary Sbl.bin --param param.lfs --kernel zImage --modem modem.bin"

Do i type....

heimdall flash --pit /Users/HyeTech/Desktop/Eugene_2E_JK2_Froyo/Eugene_2E_JK2_Froyo/s1_odin_20100512.pit --factoryfs /Users/HyeTech/Desktop/Eugene_2E_JK2_Froyo/Eugene_2E_JK2_Froyo/factoryfs.rfs

and so forth???

Do I put them all on one line or do them one at a time?

oquinones

Jul 31, 2010
Orlando
You don't have to be sorry.

"This is from the readme

Example. heimdall flash --pit s1_odin_20100512.pit --factoryfs factoryfs.rfs --cache cache.rfs --dbdata dbdata.rfs --boot boot.bin --secondary Sbl.bin --param param.lfs --kernel zImage --modem modem.bin"

Do i type....

heimdall flash --pit /Users/HyeTech/Desktop/Eugene_2E_JK2_Froyo/Eugene_2E_JK2_Froyo/s1_odin_20100512.pit --factoryfs /Users/HyeTech/Desktop/Eugene_2E_JK2_Froyo/Eugene_2E_JK2_Froyo/factoryfs.rfs

and so forth???

Do I put them all on one line or do them one at a time?

Yeah you can do that or you can move your extracted files to the same directory that heimdall is in so you don't have to type /User and that big long file path.

HYE_TECH

Sep 22, 2010
Philadelphia
Yeah you can do that or you can move your extracted files to the same directory that heimdall is in so you don't have to type /User and that big long file path.

This is what i put down....

heimdall flash --pit /Users/HyeTech/Desktop/Eugene_2E_JK2_Froyo/Eugene_2E_JK2_Froyo/s1_odin_20100512.pit --factoryfs /Users/HyeTech/Desktop/Eugene_2E_JK2_Froyo/Eugene_2E_JK2_Froyo/factoryfs.rfs --cache /Users/HyeTech/Desktop/Eugene_2E_JK2_Froyo/Eugene_2E_JK2_Froyo/cache.rfs --dbdata /Users/HyeTech/Desktop/Eugene_2E_JK2_Froyo/Eugene_2E_JK2_Froyo/dbdata.rfs --boot /Users/HyeTech/Desktop/Eugene_2E_JK2_Froyo/Eugene_2E_JK2_Froyo/boot.bin --secondary /Users/HyeTech/Desktop/Eugene_2E_JK2_Froyo/Eugene_2E_JK2_Froyo/Sbl.bin --param /Users/HyeTech/Desktop/Eugene_2E_JK2_Froyo/Eugene_2E_JK2_Froyo/param.lfs --kernel /Users/HyeTech/Desktop/Eugene_2E_JK2_Froyo/Eugene_2E_JK2_Froyo/zImage --modem /Users/HyeTech/Desktop/Eugene_2E_JK2_Froyo/Eugene_2E_JK2_Froyo/modem.bin

It's not working....i put the heimdall file in the eugene file, it's not working...

am i doing something wrong??

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hey guys. I found this over in the I9000 forum. It's an alternative to Odin. For those of us who use Mac or don't have access to a Windows machine.

Link to program:
    http://www.glassechidna.com.au/products/heimdall/

Link to thread:
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=755265

IMPORTANT: If you have a Heimdall alpha 5 or older do not run it.

What is Heimdall?
    Heimdall is a cross-platform open-source utility to flash ROMs onto Samsung Galaxy S phones.

How does it work?
    Heimdall uses the same protocol as Odin to interact with a device in download mode. USB communication in Heimdall is handled by the popular open-source USB library, libusb-1.0.

Why “Heimdall”?
    The flashing software Odin is named after the king of gods in Norse mythology. Loke, the software component on the Galaxy S that provides functionality to flash, may also to be named after an important character in Norse mythology, often translated as Loki. As such I have named my flashing software Heimdall, after the Norse god, and guardian of the Bifrost Bridge.

What platforms does Heimdall run on?
    Linux, OS X and Windows (XP, Vista, 7 etc.)

Why use Heimdall when we can use Odin?
    Odin is generally unreliable and only runs on Windows systems. Furthermore, Odin is leaked Samsung software that is not freely available or well understood by the community.

Is Heimdall safe?
    No matter what method you chose, flashing firmware onto your phone has a lot of potential for disaster. We have tested Heimdall with a variety of phones flashing several different firmware versions resulting in a 100% success rate. As such we believe that Heimdall is generally reliable. However keep in mind, just like any flashing software, Heimdall has the potential to brick your phone if not used correctly.

How do Galaxy S phones get bricked when flashing?
    Besides the inherent risks like power outs, accidental removal of the USB cable etc. The Galaxy S appears to be running extremely unreliable USB control software.

A failure to flash does not automatically equate to a bricked phone. However if you're extremely unlucky and the flash fails whilst transferring the primary boot-loader, secondary boot-loader or params.lfs (all quite small) than you've got yourself a paper weight that you're hoping Samsung will replace.

Please be extremely careful mixing files from different firmware releases. Don't do so unless you're certain it will work!

What Galaxy S variants has Heimdall been tested with?
    I've tested Heimdall with a Galaxy S GT-I9000 (8 GB) from the United Kingdom and Galaxy S GT-I9000 (16 GB) from Australia. I don't have access to any other devices to test with at present, but community members have confirmed it to also function correctly for the AT&T Captivate.

Enough talk, where can we get it?
    The latest release is available here. Please read the instructions and README files included in the archives.

I love you, man. Will you have my baby?
    No, but I will very gladly accept donations. If you appreciate my work and would like to support future development you can make a donation here. If you think you have something else to offer, then feel free to shoot me a PM or contact me via the contact form on the Glass Echidna website.
    The dev has started a post that lists firmwares with the updated secondary bootloader that will allow Heimdall to recognize your device on OS X. If you are running OS X and using Heimdall, could you please help contribute to this list? I have OS X and tried Heimdall but it wouldn't recognize my phone. It would help more than a few of us out if OS X/Vibrant users chimed in with a combo that works.

Please post in this thread. Thank you!