Official fix for battery problems

Search This thread

bikercr

This is directly from HTC tech support. To recalibrate battery and HTC charger when battery rapidly or erratically discharges, this procedure clears all battery stats, coordinates and normalizes charging.

Turn off Fast Boot in settings. Power off phone.
Plug phone into HTC charger and charge for two minutes or more
While charging, hold down volume up+volume down+power button and continue holding
Phone will turn on and off repeatedly every 15 seconds or so while continuing to hold all three buttons
Keep this going for 2 minutes, then release buttons when phone is ON
Now, let phone charge fully normally (with phone either on or off--doesn't matter) and battery level reporting, charging and battery life should be normalized.

Do this every month or so to keep power system healthy--even if everything seems fine. Also, don't leave phone on charger overnight for best long term battery life (according to HTC tech support: "The first thing they tell us." This is true even though charging is supposed to turn off when battery is at 100%)

NOTE: Another potential fix for battery/charging abnormalities if this procedure fails (esp. after an OTA update when corrupted files can remain stuck in device cache partition)--clear cache partition using this method: http://forums.androidcentral.com/verizon-htc-one/315416-how-clear-cache-partition-stock-recovery-un-rooted-phone.html

RAM_1994

Oct 1, 2011
Check your battery history in settings. If the 3. bar, in the middle, is always there (it's probably called "in usage", I'm on a different language so i don't know), then some app is always on and it's draining your battery. I haven't discovered which app is that yet, but I'll install battery monitor app to discover it.

When it's like that, i lose 1% per hour on standby, which is a lot, because normally during the whole i lose about 1-2%. So I kill all apps with Clean Master and then the 3. bar isn't present anymore when my phone is on standby.

dsmpampis

Oct 21, 2012
And why not just let the battery die. I mean let the phone turn off and then charge it to 100%. This is the general way to calibrate the battery.

Tapatalked with my "refrigerator look" HTC one M8

andy905

Mar 26, 2010
Hanoi
As far as I'm aware Lipo batteries shouldn't be completely discharged. I have some RC helicopters and planes and each Lipo battery pack carries that warning.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using XDA Free mobile app

BenPope

Dec 20, 2007
As far as I'm aware Lipo batteries shouldn't be completely discharged. I have some RC helicopters and planes and each Lipo battery pack carries that warning.

Now you're talking crazy. I'm fairly sure the same advice for NiCd and NiMH still applies, even though they're completely different technology and haven't been used in phones 15 Years.

I personally use witchcraft to keep my batteries in working order.

Reactions: Muntz01

andy905

Mar 26, 2010
Hanoi
Now you're talking crazy. I'm fairly sure the same advice for NiCd and NiMH still applies, even though they're completely different technology and haven't been used in phones 15 Years.

Lipo batteries are way different than NiCd and NiMh and their chemistry is unstable to say the least. But by all means be crazy yourself and drain your battery to 0% if you feel the need.

Sent from my ASUS_T00I using XDA Free mobile app

BenPope

Dec 20, 2007
But by all means be crazy yourself and drain your battery to 0% if you feel the need.

I think you missed my sarcasm, I agree with you.

You can't drain the battery to 0 without going out of your way as the electronics in the battery protects it, but yeah, as soon as your phone switches off, it's time to add some charge, if not way, way before. I don't actually believe in this calibration thing people speak of.

dannejanne

Mar 23, 2011
Norrköping, Sweden
I ran my M8 completely dry once on purpose a couple of days after purchase. I always do this at least once with every phone sometime in its lifespan.

When doing so, the phone sat at 1% charge for over an hour while I had the screen on at maximum brightness all the time and streaming music with Spotify.

Needless to say it was needed for my phone.

sameer1807

Dec 7, 2011
While using the phone, battery doesn't drain as fast.. When its in standby, somehow it drains faster..very strange

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using XDA Free mobile app

suprtrukr425

Feb 26, 2010
Virginia
This is directly from HTC tech support. To recalibrate battery and HTC charger when battery rapidly or erratically discharges, this procedure clears all battery stats, coordinates and normalizes charging.

While charging, hold down volume up+volume down+power button and continue holding
Phone will turn on and off repeatedly every 15 seconds or so while continuing to hold all three buttons
Now, let phone charge fully normally (with phone either on or off--doesn't matter) and battery level reporting, charging and battery life should be normalized.

Do this every month or so to keep power system healthy--even if everything seems fine. Also, don't leave phone on charger overnight for best long term battery life (according to HTC tech support: "The first thing they tell us." This is true even though charging is supposed to turn off when battery is at 100%)

NOTE: Another potential fix for battery/charging abnormalities if this procedure fails (esp. after an OTA update when corrupted files can remain stuck in device cache partition)--clear cache partition using this method: http://forums.androidcentral.com/ve...partition-stock-recovery-un-rooted-phone.html

Tried this. It did seem to work for me. I was skeptical, but I definitely feel like it fixed the erratic battery behavior I was seeing.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Shudder123

Jul 4, 2012
I ran my M8 completely dry once on purpose a couple of days after purchase. I always do this at least once with every phone sometime in its lifespan.

When doing so, the phone sat at 1% charge for over an hour while I had the screen on at maximum brightness all the time and streaming music with Spotify.

Needless to say it was needed for my phone.

has this process worked for you for every device you've owned? I'm getting horrible standby drain on my m8. Wifi on, location, autosync, bluetooth, nfc all disabled. in a span on 9 hours I lost 10% close to 11. the only thing I can think of is I haven't greenified anything, but I shouldn't have to..

and like another user said I seem to get better battery life when it is in use then when it is in deep sleep :confused:

JayRolla

Mar 8, 2011
1% battery drain per hour is about normal. If you don't want out to drain turn it off

bikercr

Tried this. It did seem to work for me. I was skeptical, but I definitely feel like it fixed the erratic battery behavior I was seeing.

According to HTC tech support, the battery in the One has a chip that tracks charging/discharging. This chip's memory is cleared via the specific steps I outlined (both volume keys and power button cycling). It's important to do this process while the phone is plugged into the HTC charger that came with the phone--not an aftermarket charger. Apparently, the charger chip is also affected by this reset.

I performed this reset procedure a few times, cleared the device cache, did a data reset, and also installed the new OTA. None of these steps completely corrected my erratic battery behavior. I'm sending the phone back to HTC for a replacement. In researching this, it appears that after the prior KitKat OTA several weeks ago, a number of folks have complained of the same power problems on various Android boards and I believe HTC is aware of the problem.

JayRolla

Mar 8, 2011
it shouldn't be if you disable everything.

Its an electronic device that is running. Should it be magic and use no power. At 1% per hour thats 100 hours of standbye time which is not bad. I agree you should be maybe a little less with all location services, data, 3g, wifi, bt all disabled but remember. Its on and using power, it has to use something.

ppllpp

Feb 17, 2009
Hi there, i have a problem with my battery, when the percentage is 15% the phone starts discharging very quickly, like dies in 1 minute. From full charge to 15% discharge seems legit. In your opinion can be an hardware or software problem.

CrazyCypher

Oct 19, 2010
Samsung Galaxy Watch 4
Hy, my phone dies at about 15-20% but when I plug it in the charger it says 20% and charging.... I turn it on and the same thing happen...
ANy help on how to fix this problem?

Thank you

Cremnomaniac

Jun 10, 2013
San Jose
Question,
I was trying to follow the procedure for battery reset. I did this in the past when I got the phone. Since then I I unlocked bootloader, rooted and S-Off. Now when I try the volume up/down + power, after a few cycles of the logo screen it goes to bootloader screen. Cant' get it to go the 2 minutes mentioned. Any ideas?

xochipilli

Dec 12, 2006
Question,
I was trying to follow the procedure for battery reset. I did this in the past when I got the phone. Since then I I unlocked bootloader, rooted and S-Off. Now when I try the volume up/down + power, after a few cycles of the logo screen it goes to bootloader screen. Cant' get it to go the 2 minutes mentioned. Any ideas?

I tried the procedure and the phone kept restarting like every 10 seconds through the process.

There is no Fast Boot option on Marshmallow, so that's out. I'm leaving the phone to charge overnight.

In my case I'm afraid there's a certain App that's creating the drain because the battery was showing 20%, then 50% while unplugged and then it died 15 minutes later while I was reading the newsfeed.

I will edit this post with the results in a couple of days.

Updated: Ok sooo, the first charge after calibration lasted about 12 hours with moderate/heavy use.
Now I recharged again and I don't understand. It has stayed at 100% for more than 15 hours!

I have Amplify and Power Saver settings for vibration and dim screen and that's it. I don't get it.
As a final note, HTC recommends doing this chickenchocking thing every month! I felt like I was killing the poor thing trying to boot. But anyway, that's my results so far. Oh, I'm using Gsam for readings.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

NOTE: Another potential fix for battery/charging abnormalities if this procedure fails (esp. after an OTA update when corrupted files can remain stuck in device cache partition)--clear cache partition using this method: http://forums.androidcentral.com/verizon-htc-one/315416-how-clear-cache-partition-stock-recovery-un-rooted-phone.html
    Thanks for the useful thread.
    I am on HTC 10.
    Wanna try your way to reset battery stats. But nowhere is there an option to turn off or on Fast Boot. What should I do? Can you kindly help me?

If the "Fast Boot" option doesn't exist in power settings, you don't need to turn it off. So this step can be disregarded in cases where the option does not exist. HTC removed this option from the M8 fairly early on (since the move from KitKat to Lollipop) so it didn't even exist on the M8 for the most part. All this step does (turning of "Fast Boot" ) is to ensure the phone is truly powered off. Since button combos only work when powered off or full reboot. "Fast Boot" was not a true power off, but merely a deep sleep trick used to make the phone "boot up" faster. For you (HTC 10) powered off is powered off.

That being said, I don't know of the same button combo will reset the battery meter, as it does on the M8. You might want to research that, as the button combo may or may not be device specific (might not work on your device).

Hy, my phone dies at about 15-20% but when I plug it in the charger it says 20% and charging.... I turn it on and the same thing happen...
    ANy help on how to fix this problem?

Did you try the procedure described in the first post, for which this thread is about?
    I'm rly sorry for my dumbness, but where is Fast boot setting? Looked for it in every catalogue of phone settings and didn't find.

HTC removed the "Fast boot" option (not to be confused with adb/fastboot) after KitKat or somewhere thereabouts. Since you don't see it, you don't need to turn it off. All that setting did was put the phone in a deep sleep state (not really powered off) and therefore the described button combo would not work.