[APP] Task Identifier [Android 2.1 and up!!!]

Search This thread

htnprm

May 15, 2010
This is on our list... linking an app to its permissions.

Thanks for that. I was more meaning is it able to tell you what apps are actively using your mobile data as opposed to those which are able to. I've had a few friends who've recently purchased Android devices and they are using more mobile data than expected and asked me if I knew of an app which could be used to identify what apps are using what percentage of their mobile data.

elburna

Jun 24, 2009
Thanks for that. I was more meaning is it able to tell you what apps are actively using your mobile data as opposed to those which are able to. I've had a few friends who've recently purchased Android devices and they are using more mobile data than expected and asked me if I knew of an app which could be used to identify what apps are using what percentage of their mobile data.

There are a lot (p.ex. Network trafficstats, traffic counter pro) and yes they do count the amount per app ;)

Ge...ta...ta...tapatalked mit meinem Desire

Reactions: htnprm

htnprm

May 15, 2010
There are a lot (p.ex. Network trafficstats, traffic counter pro) and yes they do count the amount per app ;)

Thanks for that. Surprised I wasn't able to find those previously, but I guess I just didn't have the keywords right for my searches.

JayPhill89

Jul 13, 2010
Cincinnati
2 features I'd like to see in this app:

1) show what apps are closing just like ones that start

2) show a quick toast about an app that has crashed ( some crash and make the vibrations but don't pop up a window. Or a background app had just FC)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using XDA App

gogol

May 20, 2005
Features that I would suggest

- Capture apps which use awake time (awake during display off)
[OPTION] to record Android log to see what it is doing around that awake time

- Capture apps network activities (so we can see which apps is using network)
[OPTION] to capture this only during display is off

Those 2 would be very valuable to this :)

Namuna

Jan 11, 2010
New York
I recently found out about an app I think is the perfect compliment to Task Identifier...Autostarts.

Where TI alerts you when apps run in the background, Autostarts can provide the reason. Autostarts lists all the event triggers currently setup on your phone (new outgoing calls, Application Installed, Battery Low, etc...).

Since having Autostarts installed and going through and disabling things I didn't think should be triggered under certain events (like, why does Miren need to start when 'Power Low' is triggered?)...TI haven't had much to report on.

TI and Autostarts together makes for me having a lot more control and even more importantly more knowledge of what's going on with my phone!

Reactions: jdb78

LordManhattan

Oct 20, 2007
Kepler-34b
Hmm.. this is much more complicated then i tought. How about a noob-mode with a start button, select all services, and that's it :p

Overall, good job!

Sent from the future.

The quality of my life would be greatly reduced if I did not have nostrils.

x2kjosh

Jul 14, 2010
Castle Rock, CO
So whats everybody think of the attached for SETUP ALERTS? It also will return you to the list in the same spot you clicked.

Attachments

• screenshot_22.jpg
    screenshot_22.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 98
  • screenshot_25.jpg
    screenshot_25.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 98
Last edited:

gogol

May 20, 2005
Could you please explain about the alert level?

What does red, yellow, green mean?

I still don't understand how to use this app :(

Sent from my Nexus S using XDA App

x2kjosh

Jul 14, 2010
Castle Rock, CO
Could you please explain about the alert level?

What does red, yellow, green mean?

I still don't understand how to use this app :(

Sent from my Nexus S using XDA App

Basically you can set you phone to display different display levels. We can you three plus a 4th with auto kill. you decide what to set what at and specify a visibility level.

Thanks!

monomer888

Sep 20, 2009
Another potential bug

I manually asked TaskIdentifier to stop monitoring and although it says 'stopped' on the Current Monitor State in the app menu screen, I am still getting process start notifications and screen-off notifications. System Panel reports that TI is still active and using CPU.

Additional: Using version 1.0.5 Beta on a HTC Desire Z

Last edited:

Paul22000

Jan 19, 2008
So now that I've been using this app for a few days, I'm considering uninstalling.

I mean, with all the information about tasks starting up all the time, I'm wondering... What do you DO with this information now?

How does this information help?

Reactions: MaxRabbit

ccossin

Apr 20, 2008
Las Vegas
The update is adding permissions. One of the comments on the market says it is staying connected to a 3rd party website on port 80 and sucking up bandwidth.

This has been a telepathic transmission from the Outer Limits.

gogol

May 20, 2005
I still don't understand how to gather information from this app.

The app only says .. com.xxx GREEN ... com.yyy GREEN

It does not mean anything.

???

Basically you can set you phone to display different display levels. We can you three plus a 4th with auto kill. you decide what to set what at and specify a visibility level.

Thanks!

elburna

Jun 24, 2009
I still don't understand how to gather information from this app.

The app only says .. com.xxx GREEN ... com.yyy GREEN

It does not mean anything.

???

You just use TI to watch which Apps start without you wanting it and then use "Autostarts" to deny them the permission to start randomly. Saves p.ex. battery

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    !!!If you have Android 2.1 the app now is in the market!!!

Android 2.2 and higher are also still supported

This is not another Auto Task Killer, no.

Thanks for all the help from everyone! We've moved into a lite and full version now on Android 2.2 and 2.3 phones.This is a new program which allows the user to specify alert levels to phone tasks and give you insight into what your phone is really doing. Make a call, ever wonder what apps may be listening? What's going on when you phone is in standby? In creating this, I will say that I've been surprised a few times at what is really going on. I want any and all feedback as well as we are trying to make this into something special. I am the actual developer of this app.

The full version has:

-Common Names and Actual Application Icons
    -No Ads
    -Access to all App Settings
    -Ability to change alert level from List Tasks
    -Removed Internet and Location Permissions

And we have a slew of other features planned for only the full version, but we don't want to spill the beans on those quite yet, but they will enhance the tool greatly!

Both versions now have the new UI as well.

Anyone who had the beta should be notified to upgrade to the lite version now.

Download Task Identifier Lite from your phone:
    market://search?q=pname:com.task.identifier

Download Task Identifier Full from your phone:
    market://search?q=pname:com.task.identifier.full

I've also attached a QR Code to scan for both versions. Or just search for Task Identifier in the market.

I hope you all find this useful and enjoy!!
    I'm liking this app more and more. A few more comments and requests.

Comments
    * I like the main app window. Large fonts, long-press to get quick-help or short press to go to the item. Nice
    * Screen off app start notification, nice!

Requests
    1. Possible to get more detail about why or how an app was triggered? Like, was it triggered by a service? another app? etc. And did the triggered app take any actions? Like sending network traffic or queried the GPS and such?
    2. The 'Setup Alerts' window is hard to read through, could you maybe add color so all the status 'Green' items have the word 'Green' in green font and so on?

Just added a 5 star rating on Market, keep up the good work!
    Can I confirm, is the app able to tell what apps are using your mobile data connection?

This is on our list... linking an app to its permissions.

On a side note, v1.0.1-beta has hit the market with some bug fixes. Biggest one is fixing the force close in list alerts clicking the first item. Also the screen off alert should only notify you of things in your alert level settings. Some other minor adjustments as well. Thanks to everyone for their continued support!;)