[GUIDE] HOW TO Enable Wi-Fi Tether on stock Kit Kat 4.4.2

Search This thread

TheFuzz

Feb 28, 2006
Google Pixel 7 Pro
I took the update because I boot looped my phone trying to upgrade to a rooted stock version of Kit Kat.

After going to stock I lost root and of course custom recovery. As many have noticed, there is no viable tether app that works with Kit Kat on this device. In doing a search it appears that this is the case with many devices that have gotten Kit Kat.

So I did a search and through several different threads I believe I have found the workaround.

I am new to doing "How-To's" so please forgive me if this is not as professional as others. I am not a developer but have some knowledge of working with various facets of Android. So, here goes:

1. Go to settings--> Tethering and networks ---> Mobile networks --> Access point names
2. Under Access point names, you should have T-Mobile LTE
3. Click menu ---> New APN
4. Name --> Whatever you want
5. APN ---> should say "Not Set" change to "Fast.T-Mobile.com"
6. APN Type--> type "default,supl,mms,dun"
7. APN Protocol --> Be sure it says "IPv4"
8. Menu--> Click save
9. Change APN to the newly created Access Point
10. Download : https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.foxfi
11. Download the PC app (if needed)
12. (Optional) Download: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.foxfi.key

Follow instructions on setting up FoxFi which I will not cover here.

I am using this now to type this thread. It is a little buggy but I think that is FoxFi not necessarily this method of tether. I have to at times disable/re-enable the PC app if I lose connection.

I hope this helps folks out there.

Ivanprskalo

Aug 27, 2011
Ljubuški
Wait, is it not easier way to do this:
(if you have root)
1. download SQlite editor app from G.Play (pay for it few bucks)

2. search for com.android.providers.settings and open it

3. open "settings.db" then "global" and under "tether_dun_required" change 1 to 0,

save and turn on tethering without any limits.... Just after reboot you need to set 1 to 0 again to make it work...
I saw it somewhere around and that worked for me!

(Didn't have to change or create new APN.

(This is possible solution for NON-T-mobile users of D801 model, because I'm one..)

adampdx

Jan 23, 2011
Portland, OR
(if you have root)

3. open "settings.db" then "global" and under "tether_dun_required" change 1 to 0,

save and turn on tethering without any limits.... Just after reboot you need to set 1 to 0 again to make it work...

(This is possible solution for NON-T-mobile users of D801 model, because I'm one..)

Will this affect the system tether app as well?

Ivanprskalo

Aug 27, 2011
Ljubuški
Will this affect the system tether app as well?

This solution IS for system tethering.
If you have rooted device, system tethering works like a charm with this.
Also, this works even if you are not T-mobile user, meaning, you SIM unlock device and you can tether with any SIM on any network in the world...

I guess those guys who updated OTA to 4.4.2 will have to wait root for D801. I saw there is a way to flash KitKat in recovery and immediately superuser.zip after that...
I'll personally go for that way.

riceknight

Jan 30, 2008
Doesn't seem to work for me. Tried using my tablet connected to foxfi hotspot and got the usual T-Mobile error notice that hotspot isn't enabled when I opened the browser.

NewZJ

Aug 27, 2010
Seattle, Wa
You can also setup a vpn to connect to and it won't redirect you to the upsell page if you get that issue

(if you have root)

If this works, you have fixed the only issue that would desire me to install a custom rom
Edit: seems to be working so far, spent half an hour on the tablet and the tmobile app shows no increase in the hotspot data usage

Last edited:

TheFuzz

Feb 28, 2006
Google Pixel 7 Pro
Ok. Let me try and clarify. The step by step in the OP can be used on any ROM but is specifically useful for those like me that took the update to 4.4.2 and lost root.

When using FoxFi app it is recommended that you use USB tether mode. Also you need to hide your activity but I'm not going to cover that. I Will leave that to others.

Sent from my LG-D801 using xda app-developers app

Reactions: juangil

Ivanprskalo

Aug 27, 2011
Ljubuški
Ok. Let me try and clarify. The step by step in the OP can be used on any ROM but is specifically useful for those like me that took the update to 4.4.2 and lost root.

When using FoxFi app it is recommended that you use USB tether mode. Also you need to hide your activity but I'm not going to cover that. I Will leave that to others.

Then one thing is left to be clarified:

Do I need to use that T-mobile APN? Because that won't work for me or every other user that haven't T-mobile SIM card, obviously...

So, do you think that is safe to assume that method from OP will work for me if I use my regular APN?

TheFuzz

Feb 28, 2006
Google Pixel 7 Pro
I can't speak to other carriers directly. But, the simplest way to tell; if you use the app and it does not "trip" your carrier hotspot app then you should be good.

adampdx

Jan 23, 2011
Portland, OR
Neither of these methods worked for me. FoxFi kept telling me that I didn't have an internet connection and editing my com.android.providers.settings database kept reverting to "1" after a reboot. After the latter method, I temporarily lost the functionality of my home button and root went away. I thought I was going to have to flash back to 4.2.2 for second. Thankfully after a few reboots and a restored file all was good.

Edit: OK, I finally got FoxFi working. I guess I didn't read the directions completely. But this didn't stop my tethering data usage from going up.

Last edited:

TheFuzz

Feb 28, 2006
Google Pixel 7 Pro
Make sure you have the settings in FoxFi set to hide internet usage. If you need my settings for that, let me know.

Ivanprskalo

Aug 27, 2011
Ljubuški
I have actually tried both methods and get them to work.
Now, I'm on 4.4.2 stock, I didn't took the OTA update - instead I've flashed that 1.4GB KK update trough TWRP, and then superuser.zip. It wasn't easy, especially because I didn't have TWRP installed at all and OTA was downloaded (kinda without my permission, in background, and then I got that notification...:rolleyes:.)
So, now, I'm on KK stock, rooted, but I'm not sure if I got recovery... and guess what, I don't care...:cool:
Both tethering methods work for me, bud since is easier I use system tether.
What I'm trying to say is: Don't take OTA guys if you have root, flash trough recovery your KK and you will keep root, you can tether, you keep your data and apps... It isn't the easiest way but it is the one with most satisfying result..:cool:

Reactions: sam298

adampdx

Jan 23, 2011
Portland, OR
Make sure you have the settings in FoxFi set to hide internet usage. If you need my settings for that, let me know.

OK, read between the lines a bit and got took the steps I believe you're referring to. However, still no luck with tethering data. Would you mind sharing your settings for FoxFi?

TheFuzz

Feb 28, 2006
Google Pixel 7 Pro
OK, read between the lines a bit and got took the steps I believe you're referring to. However, still no luck with tethering data. Would you mind sharing your settings for FoxFi?

On your desktop, click on the PDANet icon in the task tray. Click settings, Hide Tether usage, Level 1

That's it. Should work. Again, you may have to disconnect/reconnect from time to time via the tray icon.

Reactions: megatropolisnet

pcriz

Neither of these methods worked for me. FoxFi kept telling me that I didn't have an internet connection and editing my com.android.providers.settings database kept reverting to "1" after a reboot. After the latter method, I temporarily lost the functionality of my home button and root went away. I thought I was going to have to flash back to 4.2.2 for second. Thankfully after a few reboots and a restored file all was good.

Edit: OK, I finally got FoxFi working. I guess I didn't read the directions completely. But this didn't stop my tethering data usage from going up.

It was stated that this will revert after a restart.... Simple either don't restart or adjust the value after you restart

Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 01:49 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:58 AM ----------

So just to verify. For rooted folks the sqlite method works? I can't get my connected device to access the net but I am also in a T-Mobile black hole for the next two weeks with only edge when I am lucky

Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    (if you have root)

I took the update because I boot looped my phone trying to upgrade to a rooted stock version of Kit Kat.

After going to stock I lost root and of course custom recovery. As many have noticed, there is no viable tether app that works with Kit Kat on this device. In doing a search it appears that this is the case with many devices that have gotten Kit Kat.

So I did a search and through several different threads I believe I have found the workaround.

I am new to doing "How-To's" so please forgive me if this is not as professional as others. I am not a developer but have some knowledge of working with various facets of Android. So, here goes:

1. Go to settings--> Tethering and networks ---> Mobile networks --> Access point names
    2. Under Access point names, you should have T-Mobile LTE
    3. Click menu ---> New APN
    4. Name --> Whatever you want
    5. APN ---> should say "Not Set" change to "Fast.T-Mobile.com"
    6. APN Type--> type "default,supl,mms,dun"
    7. APN Protocol --> Be sure it says "IPv4"
    8. Menu--> Click save
    9. Change APN to the newly created Access Point
    10. Download : https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.foxfi
    11. Download the PC app (if needed)
    12. (Optional) Download: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.foxfi.key

Follow instructions on setting up FoxFi which I will not cover here.

I am using this now to type this thread. It is a little buggy but I think that is FoxFi not necessarily this method of tether. I have to at times disable/re-enable the PC app if I lose connection.

I hope this helps folks out there.
    Are speeds with FoxFi comparable to stock tethering?

Yes, speeds are comparable. Only issue, and I believe this is with PDANet/FoxFi is you at times have to reset the connection on the computer. I am running Windows 7 BTW
    That is if you have root. As stated in the OP this is a workaround for those that have lost root via 4.4.2.